View Full Version : Massachusetts Parole Questions

parole_help_123
07-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Hi there,

I will be occasionally available to answer parole questions for you.:thumbsup:

I'll check as much as I'm able and will answer your questions as best I'm able.

Please refrain from asking Parole Eligibility (PE) questions or about Mass date calculations. The records departments and/or IPOs know what they're doing. I'll help with the other questions. Just please be nice.:)

shiva65
07-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Hello parole.. 123! I have to smile.. at your post, all of us basically kind of know how it works! (sarcastically) IT DOESNT .. and well, we are all VERY NICE HERE.. :)

emmjay
07-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi there,

Please refrain from asking Parole Eligibility (PE) questions or about Mass date calculations. The records departments and/or IPOs know what they're doing. I'll help with the other questions. Just please be nice.:)

Just curious - is this a serious post and if so, what is it about your background/experience that qualifies you as an expert on parole issues?

JimmysLove
09-17-2008, 11:20 PM
my hub has been in for over 2 years he was told by a judge she would review his case once in work release for 90 days the 90th day was Sept. 5 he got word tonight that despite working 2 jobs with no D reports for the full 90. not one complaint, that she denied his release stating she wanted to see him serve 3 non mandatory years out of the 5 of his sentence for a non violent crime... he tells me he is up for parole in Jan 2009 at present he is at 100% in the computer but also says we have to show he has a place to stay complete with a bed and his own room by Nov 15th or we will be waiting yet another year... Ive lost everything... my home... drained Bank accounts... just to stay alive, the place Im staying at wont allow him to stay here at all and I don't have any money to support an apt. from Nov to Jan to satisfy some DOC stuffed shirt on a Maybe... there is no alcohol or drugs or addiction of any kind no domestic nothing closing all those doors I have no others? I have no where to turn... does anyone have any info/advice at all? Im desperate

parole_help_123
01-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Hello again, I checked back to this site when I just happened to see the generic PTO invite.

I joined this site a while back offering to help those in need of it regarding the Mass Parole Board. However, the first (and only) response I read was from Shiva, and it seemed to me as if I was being laughed at and no one needed help. Well, I saw there were some more responses too.

Yes I'm serious. I cannot say who I am and what/where I work, but let's say I've been doing my job in the field for a long time, and I know what trouble the family members/home sponsors go through and the limited resources out here about the mysterious State Parole.

I'd like to offer my help in problems affecting inmates, parolees, and the families who want to support them but don't know what to do, who to call, don't understand the vote or conditions, etc... Please don't ask PE (Parole Eligibility) dates or date aggregtion, etc..., unless you've really, REALLY think you've been given the run around. (I know Mass Truth in Sentencing, Old Law, Concord, Henschell, . . . can be confusing to both sides of the fence.)

Good luck and happy new year.

morgantown2380
01-29-2009, 11:20 AM
I have a question about parole in Massachusetts. I am originally from Boston, but my fiance is from Indiana. We were both living in Indiana when he had to report to federal prison in WV. He is completing the RDAP program and will hopefully be out around August 11th 2009. I am supposed to move by May or June back to Mass to attend law school but we want him to be sent to a halfway house in Mass, not Indiana. The counselors who he is talking to have no idea what to tell him and they are encouraging him to just give an Indiana address and get sent to the halfway house there for the remaining 6 months of his sentence. In the off chance that he does get sent to Mass- aka- I can get him an address in time, is he allowed to parole out to my house even though we are not married?? Also, I was planning on picking him up from prison to drive him to the halfway house. Will I even be allowed to do that? Sorry I just have NO idea who to talk to and he is getting nowhere with the people in charge at Morgantown. Thank you.

christinelavita
02-10-2009, 01:37 AM
my son is in mass in the dedham house of correction they r telling him if he goes to a sober house he can get out sooner. I moved to florida before he was arrested he was homeless and couldnt get to his probation officer
we didnt move him with us he was with a girlfriend then kicked out and homless because he had court dates and we couldnt afford to fly him to and fro the judge recommended he be able to come live with us when he got out.I have a home for him he can work with my husband he needs to come live with us he is speacial needs he cant get up to a alarm clock
he has bad organizational skills he forgets everything till its to late.doesnt he have to work constandly while he is on parole how do they think he will get a job with a felony how will he get money to get to work who is gonna get him to probation.he is set up to fail if he doesnt come to florida and live with his parents they say he could have to wait a long time to get transferred to florida is this true it is in his best interest.i have paid for evercom from dedham to florida 3.00 a minitue i put money in his canteen
every month i want him home where i can make sure he gets to probation
make sure he is working so he can get child suport straightend out he needs clothes he has thousands in bills that have to be straightend out.
please tell me how i get him here he is inmature and he cant make it in boston all my family out of state newhampshire rhode island Please help
he got a year because he couldnt get to probation and pay for drug test
it will only happend again if he stays there all his friends were not his friends and he is in pc because of them and they all live around brocton and quincy where sober houses are

parole_help_123
02-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Hi there. That's a lot of questions. It's true about a sober house. But first things first: You did not mention whether or not your son already had his parole hearing, and if so, did he get a reserve date? Was the reserve date a vote to a home or sober house or interstae compact? If you can specify these items, I can better understand what it is you were trying to ask or say.

christinelavita
02-11-2009, 11:13 AM
My sons meeting with the parole board on feb 27 th .I believe his social worker was recomending the sober house.I called the prision and spoke to
someone on the board he said the other state has 45 days to respond to the interstate compact.onces sent in.people here say its easyier to transfer when he is in jail then out is that true? I dont have a realease date I told my son to put in for the interstate.I can afford
the first and last months rent at the sober house but not 140.00 a week
so I quess the ? to you is which is the quicker way to get him home I dont
want to give him the wronge advice as he will do what i direct him to do.
do interstate compacts normaly get excepted or denied? should i fly down and go to my sons parole meeting is that even alowed ?no one has recommended he go anywhere yet.My son was looking for the quickest way to get out of there he is in pc because of problems with people wanting to fight him he is in with the sex offenders which have alot less time out of there cells and fells he shouldnt be punished because he is mixed in with that unit,I told him to do the compact he may have to stay
a little longer he agreed i have to know if i am advising him correctly
you said its true about the sober house do you mean thats the quicker
way the board said if they did recomend a place which they havent it would be free I am praying they just let him come home

christinelavita
02-11-2009, 01:19 PM
does a parole meeting mean he is getting out soon and if so normally how long

Illest1
02-11-2009, 04:24 PM
NO there just going to review his case, and then the'll most likely tell him that they'll get back to him soon.

It takes time mama, prepare your self, Be Patient.

parole_help_123
02-11-2009, 04:57 PM
It depends on the actual vote. Can you find out if it says, "Reserve to Interstate Compact," or does ot say, "Reserve to Home" or sober house or LTRT? The quickest way to get to you in another statwe is for the parolee to ALREADY be on the street with Mass Parole. If he transfers to another state, and he is transfering to a PARENTS' or SPOUSE'S home, that is called a "Mandatory Transfer," in which case the out-of-state (OOS) parole officer is obligated to accept the transfer immediately. If your son waits Inside, he will WAIT up to 45 days, and it usually takes 44.

That's why it's important to know the terminology on the vote sheet. If it's worded "Reserve [date] to Interstate Compact" only, he must wait. He could put in for a "Change of Vote," but that takes 45 days also.

I Hope this helps. I'll check this when I can, and only when I am off-duty.

christinelavita
02-12-2009, 07:40 PM
i will let you know as soon ias i find out thanks again

christinelavita
02-12-2009, 10:42 PM
if the parole board grants the interstate compact probation says he has to check in with them when he is released my quiestion is can probation
stop him from being transfered .will i have to stay in ma with my son when he is released for a while because of probation or will they accept the transfer and we will be able to come back to florida right away:cool:

parole_help_123
02-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Probation has no say about the transfer because parole has "first dibs" on him (he's being released from his incarceration via parole not probation). About transfering interstate, Nine times out of ten, probation will follow parole's decisions about transferring. Besides, probation is busy enough as it is, really.

christinelavita
02-13-2009, 04:02 PM
thanks again for all your help your the best and people are blessesd on this site to have you.

parole_help_123
02-28-2009, 07:50 AM
After your son successsfully finishes Anger Management he could request a Reconsideration through the IPO. If that gets denied, he can later request an Appeal. If that is denied, he will automatically have an Annual Review hearing next February, if he's still locked up. If you'd like to submit letters, it might be a better idea to send copies to your son as well. Unfortunately, as most people lie or are lied to, we in parole usually go by what is in the official versions or police reports, not what family members (or the inmate) declare (no offense to you or your son--that's just the way it is).

All requests for Reconsideration and Appeal must be submitted by him, in writing.

Good luck.

christinelavita
03-02-2009, 09:46 PM
thanks again i will keep you informed of what happends.:thumbsup:
christine

neekyneek
03-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Me and my fiance were both living in Boston before he went in But now I moved to Springfield so two questions will they let him parole to Springfield, and does he have to be on my lease to move with me I live in a regular house. Can you tell me please.

parole_help_123
03-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Me and my fiance were both living in Boston before he went in But now I moved to Springfield so two questions will they let him parole to Springfield, and does he have to be on my lease to move with me I live in a regular house. Can you tell me please.

If he gets a reserve to a home plan, Springfield is good-to-go because it is within Massachusetts. As long as your rented house is not Section 8 asssisited, the plan might go through, as long as the house has no history of police contact and any neighbors are not dealing drugs, co-defendants, or victims.

deedee2
03-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Good day parole help 123..
First I would like to say thank you for your services. It is much appreciated.
My question is my friend is in Huntsville Texas Prison .. Allot of tuff rules and red tape in Texas. He left Ma to travel to Arizona in 1984 and got into some trouble in Texas. He has a possibility to get out on parole in 2010. Is he eligible to get an Interstate Compact from Texas to move to Ma where I reside ? When I ask Texas they said I need to ask Ma.? Who do I ask? Can he be transferred to a prison hear ? Or maybe exchanged with another that has family in Texas? He has been incarcerated in the Texas prison system since 1984 at the age of 21. Sorry I am so lost with the rules of parole.

emmjay
03-19-2009, 10:31 AM
If he gets a reserve to a home plan, Springfield is good-to-go because it is within Massachusetts. As long as your rented house is not Section 8 asssisited, the plan might go through, as long as the house has no history of police contact and any neighbors are not dealing drugs, co-defendants, or victims.

Please explain the part about the neighbors; does this just refer to a rented property? If an inmate is paroled to a family home (owned) in a residential neighborhood, are the neighbors notified? If so, doesn't this compromise confidentiality?

parole_help_123
03-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi there, I don't know anything about prison swaps, but then again, I work for the Parole Board, not the DOC. As for transferring PAROLE to Mass, he can do it, but he needs to have a home plan to go to. Ensure he has your current address and phones to submit to the prison or parole staff. Once Texas Parole submits it to Mass, we then have 45 days to complete the home plan request, which we call a home investigation. If it's approved, he has about 72 hours to check into the regional office which covers the town he's going to live in.

Good luck. That's quite a hefty sentence your friend received.

parole_help_123
03-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Please explain the part about the neighbors; does this just refer to a rented property? If an inmate is paroled to a family home (owned) in a residential neighborhood, are the neighbors notified? If so, doesn't this compromise confidentiality?

What I meant about the neighbors referred to drug dealing. If there are drug dealers across the street or across the hall, the home is not a good setting for community reintegration.

Neighbors are not notified by parole about anything, unless they are a certified victim. POs try to be as discreet as possible. We don't let employers know either and always ask the parolee if their boss knows if they are on parole so we don't "blow their cover." However, in some circumstances, parole will make themselves known, but that is usually in a violation-situation. Otherwise, parole tries to be as discreet as possible.:cool:

emmjay
03-21-2009, 02:54 PM
POs try to be as discreet as possible. We don't let employers know either and always ask the parolee if their boss knows if they are on parole so we don't "blow their cover." However, in some circumstances, parole will make themselves known, but that is usually in a violation-situation. Otherwise, parole tries to be as discreet as possible.:cool:

I'm a bit confused about the above; don't employers know when an employee is out on parole just from running their cori, which everyone does? Seems like it would be easy to find out besides.
Do parolees usually not tell their bosses, is that what you meant by blowing their cover? I just assumed that not telling an employer you're out on parole would not be tolerated by the po? Sorry for being so naive, but as we've all learned, there is so much secrecy within the dept, we just learn as we go along.

ravenkill
03-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Hello again, I checked back to this site when I just happened to see the generic PTO invite.

I joined this site a while back offering to help those in need of it regarding the Mass Parole Board. However, the first (and only) response I read was from Shiva, and it seemed to me as if I was being laughed at and no one needed help. Well, I saw there were some more responses too.

Yes I'm serious. I cannot say who I am and what/where I work, but let's say I've been doing my job in the field for a long time, and I know what trouble the family members/home sponsors go through and the limited resources out here about the mysterious State Parole.

I'd like to offer my help in problems affecting inmates, parolees, and the families who want to support them but don't know what to do, who to call, don't understand the vote or conditions, etc... Please don't ask PE (Parole Eligibility) dates or date aggregtion, etc..., unless you've really, REALLY think you've been given the run around. (I know Mass Truth in Sentencing, Old Law, Concord, Henschell, . . . can be confusing to both sides of the fence.)

Good luck and happy new year.

/smacks himself upside the head

The times..........they sure have changed.

For the better, methinks.

:)

My stupid butt has been on parole for years, and I have to admit (and from my experiences, mind you), they are professional and respectful.

/smacks himself upside the other side of the head

They are totally confabulating my "I hate all cops" institutionalized mantra.

Ack - still hate em!! Well, at least the 80 bucks a month thingy.....

:D

Thanks again, parole_help.

parole_help_123
03-21-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm a bit confused about the above; don't employers know when an employee is out on parole just from running their cori, which everyone does? Seems like it would be easy to find out besides.
Do parolees usually not tell their bosses, is that what you meant by blowing their cover? I just assumed that not telling an employer you're out on parole would not be tolerated by the po? Sorry for being so naive, but as we've all learned, there is so much secrecy within the dept, we just learn as we go along.

The CORI is a mystery. Kmart, Walmart, Sears, Jim-bobs RV Stereo, etc, cannot access the mighty CORI. We call it the BOP. If a parolee feels like appying for a job as a teacher, social worker, day-care provider, nursing home worker, or even a parole officer, those prospective employers CAN run a CORI/BOP. Any type of job that deals with the care-taking of children or seniors are allowed to run the BOP (CORI). Otherwise, no one else can; however, if an offender wants to work as a in-home installer for Home Depot, they can do background checks and can access it. For the most part though, a private company in Massachusetts cannot access the BOP/CORI. The only way a private employer can find out a criminal record is either through word-of-mouth ("Oh man, that Joe you got robbed a bank"), or through the public records of a local newsaper ("Jimmy Smith was arrested in Lynn on 3-2-09, for Stealing Candy"). We PO's don't tell an employer that their star employee is on parole. If we did, how can they pay their supervision fees? :D

PS: Thanks for being a great parolee, Ravenkill. :thumbsup:

PPS: I love these little faces! :eek: :cool: :p

amonti
03-30-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't know if you can provide any suggestions/advice but here goes it....OUR situation. We live in MA. My fiance is doing his first actual sentence in Worcester House. His crimes were consequences of a drug addiction. He was on probation for posession, with a small sentence of five months hanging over his head. He violated by failing a urine, and then he got arrested for shoplifting from cvs, to support his habit. He was high, when the officer tried to grab him, he gave him a shove off of him, and ran, they caught him. He was held and then plead guilty to everything and received a total of 9 months after the credit for time served. He was arrested and held since January 8th. His parole letter said he was eligible for parole May 2nd this year, so after serving four months of the sentence. His prison counselor said he would have a 99 percent chance of being granted parole since he has never had it before and the jail is overcrowded. Now, we were arrested together, I was let go, and it looks like I am going to receive a continuance without a finding with 6 months probation. I have been lucky enough to not have any felony convictions, just continuance without a finding on whatever i did get charged. Ill likely be on unsupervised probation when and if he gets parole. I have just moved into a 2 bedroom condo with a long time female friend, who has NO criminal record at all. My question is A- do you agree it is likely he will get parole? and B- will he be allowed to parole home to my home(our home). We are undecided if he shall put my name down or my room mates as his fiance. Will he be allowed to live with me with the situation I have? If not, my roomate has said he can give her name as his fiance, she will meet parole when they come here, advise them she lives here alone, has no criminal record, she works full time, and will support and encourage him to find employment, attend NA meetings, and can provide transportation as well as the bus comes down this street as well. He does not want to go back and live with his parents because it is a town where he should not be because of the associates there and likelyhood of getting into trouble around those people, and also its a small town, with no bus, no jobs, and he cannot get his license so he needs the bus. Therefore, the home i Have secured for us is has a much more likelyhood of him being able to attend meetings, find a job, and take public transportation to the job, as well as to visit parole wich would be in this town as well. What do you think about all of this? And what can you suggest or advise? Our main goal here is for him to live here wiht me as we were before (at a different apartment before though) and to plan a wedding, start a family, him find a job, support his daughter and haveher on weekends, and to get into school as well out here. I also would like to help him as far as what to say to parole about his plans which are what I just explained. Please provide any feedback you can??

Hi there,

Masscutie
03-31-2009, 11:12 AM
I have a question maybe someone would be able to help me my boyfriend is in pre-release in boston how do we go bout getting him transfered to a pre-release that is closer to home since he is soo far away we barely ever go out to see him cause its over 2hrs away... Please help us

HELP Home Visit
04-14-2009, 03:56 PM
My brother is currently at Billerica HOC and was suppose to be out on Parole between March 30 and April 15th. He went before the Parole Board in March and got Parole. He is going to be living with my sister and no one has called her regarding them coming to do a home visit. I know that after the home visit it takes the records department about 48 hours. We have called Billerica HOC and the Framingham parole office with very little help. Do you know who we should be contacting regarding this home visit. Should be out by tomorrow but doesn't look like it if there hasn't been a visit to my sister's residence. Any and all help would be greatful.

HELP Home Visit
04-15-2009, 01:09 PM
A follow up to my previous post. We find out today from the Framingham Parole office that today is his first day he eligible to be released on parole. The Framingham office needs to be contacted by Billerica HOC to let them know they can conduct the home visit.

How long does this process usually take? Who at Billerica HOC can we contact in order for them to let Frmaingham know that they can do the home visit. He has already finished the 90 day program and graduated from in.

All help would be great

parole_help_123
04-16-2009, 08:14 AM
In what town does does your brother plan to live? If you know the exact town, I can tell you who it is and where to reach his (or her) field office.

HELP Home Visit
04-16-2009, 08:55 AM
He will be living in Franklin, MA

Thanks for the help

parole_help_123
04-17-2009, 10:58 AM
He will be living in Franklin, MA

Thanks for the help

Check your PMs for the numbers.

HELP Home Visit
04-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Check your PMs for the numbers.

I was wondering if anyone out there can provide me with some information. My brother was eligible to be released on Parole April 15th but we are still waiting for the Parole Officer to conduct the home visit. I was wondering if anyone knows what the turnaround time usually is from once Billerica HOC notifies the parole office when the home visit is completed. Also are these home visits able to be done at night? I know the parole officers are busy but hopefully someone can help me out

emmjay
04-28-2009, 12:01 PM
parole help, if you're available, would you explain to those of us dealing with the whole parole process, what exactly is the job of the IPO: who do they represent, are they SUPPOSED to be unbiased, and in your experience, if one is being biased/discriminatory toward particular inmates or cases thus jeopardizing the inmate's chances before the PB, how much influence does the IPO actually have with the PB's decision to grant parole or not?

parole_help_123
04-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi there, that's an interesting question(s). The IPO (Institutional Parole Officer) is an employee of the Mass Parole Board and is a "guest" in each institution. The whole Parole Board agency works directly for the Governor. The IPO's function is to collect and assess all cases of inmates with parole eligibilities and then gather all required background information and material and put it into a “case” for the parole board to make a decision if the inmate merits a parole from his or her sentence(s). All IPOs remain unbiased and treat each inmate equally. However, remember that inmates are incarcerated for crimes against the people, and some offenses are extremely reprehensible. That being said, an IPO would, no matter how horrible the crime was, remain unbiased as the case is presented to the board. The parole board member makes decisions based on many factors, the most important one being the inmate's not untenable and plausibly continued threat to public safety.

Basically, the IPO's job is to present proper cases to the parole board member. IPOs are very busy and it's unlikely that an IPO becomes biased to one particular inmate--they typically see hundreds of inmates in a MONTH--there's no time for it. There's no use in it either. I wouldn't worry about it also, although that's probably hard to hear when your loved one is incarcerated and blames bias on a negative parole decision. It's not, in my opinion--and I'm not an IPO, the IPOs fault if an inmate's parole decision is denied or revoked.

I hope this helps explain the IPO a little better. They're all good, hard working people and are doing a very complex and mostly thankless job.

lelbelle0607
05-11-2009, 11:38 PM
My husband is in Bristol County (Ash St.) and I live in Rhode Island. Can he be paroled here? We still have a long way to go but I am curious if I am going to have to move back to Massachusetts.

emmjay
05-13-2009, 11:33 AM
[quote=parole_help_123;4618997]Hi there, that's an interesting question(s). The IPO (Institutional Parole Officer) is an employee of the Mass Parole Board and is a "guest" in each institution. The whole Parole Board agency works directly for the Governor. The IPO's function is to collect and assess all cases of inmates with parole eligibilities and then gather all required background information and material and put it into a “case” for the parole board to make a decision if the inmate merits a parole from his or her sentence(s).

quote]

thanks for the explanation. One more question: does each institution have different IPOs assigned to them? Just wondering how this works if an inmate gets moved down to lower security and has previously met with an IPO at the other institution and is up for parole again at the new lower security place. Will they meet with a different IPO? Do IPOs cover just one or more facilities? thanks in advance,

janoel53
05-14-2009, 07:42 AM
My son will be up for parole next month. How do we go about finding him a job in the KC or Wichita area(Kansas). Would appreciate any info anyone might have. Thanks.:)

parole_help_123
05-14-2009, 09:40 AM
quote]

thanks for the explanation. One more question: does each institution have different IPOs assigned to them? Just wondering how this works if an inmate gets moved down to lower security and has previously met with an IPO at the other institution and is up for parole again at the new lower security place. Will they meet with a different IPO? Do IPOs cover just one or more facilities? thanks in advance,[/quote]

Hi there Emmjay, there is usually a different IPO for each prison and HOC. I believe, however, that at MCI-Shirley Medium and Minimum, and Pondville/Norfolk are shared by the same IPO with junior officer staff. You can send me a private message if you need specific information, and I'll try to help you if appropriate.

parole_help_123
05-14-2009, 09:41 AM
My husband is in Bristol County (Ash St.) and I live in Rhode Island. Can he be paroled here? We still have a long way to go but I am curious if I am going to have to move back to Massachusetts.

Yes, he'll need to request the transfer AT his parole hearing, not after it.

K&B4Eva
06-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi there,

Hi Parole Help 123 :)

My fiancee is scheduled to be paroled in 3 weeks. He is being paroled to a halfway house but his family and I are not sure how we can pay all of the fees associated with it. The recession has been rough on all of us. Do you know if there is some kind of subsidy we can look into? Does the parole board actually expect parolees (that aren't working yet) to be able to pay $500 plus per month? How can they? :confused:

If there aren't any subsidies available, can he be paroled to his Mom's or my house instead? We really want him home but $150 a week will be a great financial hardship.

Any advice or guidance you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

parole_help_123
06-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Are you forgetting his $80 a month parole fees? Upon his first few days out, YOU need to help him try and apply for waivers for everything. YOU need to try and do this without stressing him out. But don't let it "kill" you too. If money "ain't" there, it ain't there--but he's on parole, yes? 'WE' will help him stay on parole better than the jail will help him stay in jail. Get him out. Pay what you're able to do for the first little bit of time. Once he's out, he's OUT!!!!! Hopefully, he's a human being that likes the American way (working hard). If he's worthy--and you write as if he is--he'll make it back into our society. Work hard everyday and "riches" will come. "It is what it is." That's the way IT IS.

K&B4Eva
06-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Are you forgetting his $80 a month parole fees? Upon his first few days out, YOU need to help him try and apply for waivers for everything. YOU need to try and do this without stressing him out. But don't let it "kill" you too. If money "ain't" there, it ain't there--but he's on parole, yes? 'WE' will help him stay on parole better than the jail will help him stay in jail. Get him out. Pay what you're able to do for the first little bit of time. Once he's out, he's OUT!!!!! Hopefully, he's a human being that likes the American way (working hard). If he's worthy--and you write as if he is--he'll make it back into our society. Work hard everyday and "riches" will come. "It is what it is." That's the way IT IS.

Thank you. We are doing our best and will continue to do so. It's just we are hearing all types of advice from different people and we don't know what is what. :confused: We were told that parolees don't pay halfway house fees until they secure a job and that its the case worker at the prison that is suppose to make arrangements. But the caseworker hasn't done anything. His mother and I have been making all of the calls checking for bed availability and fees. My fiancee also sent letters out to many halfway houses once he found out his exact release date but hasn't heard anything back and the caseworker hasn't made any follow-up calls to the places my fiancee did write to.

We were also told that we shouldn't pay anything because it would look bad because people (parole officer, case worker, etc.) would wonder where he was getting the money from (he use to be a small-time drug dealer-first and LAST offense). Is that true? :confused: He's been locked up for 4 years - naturally he is going to have to get the money to pay for his stay at a halfway house from us until he gets a job. His family and I just want to make sure that when he is released he will have a place to go and that he has access to resources to live - as you put it - the American way.

tvbdude
06-12-2009, 03:56 AM
Do you know anything about paroling from county jails? like let's say a person have 2 consecutive sentences(on and after), 2 1/2 yrs for the first sentence, and 2 1/2 yrs for the 2nd sentence, when does that person start to see parole?

parole_help_123
06-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Do you know anything about paroling from county jails? like let's say a person have 2 consecutive sentences(on and after), 2 1/2 yrs for the first sentence, and 2 1/2 yrs for the 2nd sentence, when does that person start to see parole?

I prefer not to answer PE questions, as I wrote in the intro to this thread, but the answer is two years. The inmate is eligible to see parole after two years of the two 2 1/2 year F&A sentences.

pvheart
06-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Can I retrieve parole records under the Freedom Act or is this impossible. I was curious because a friend of mine is going on parole soon. Wanted to know the process of the parole board discussion.

:thnx:

artis1234
06-18-2009, 06:44 PM
my husband is eligiable ifor parole july 20 2009 is it possibites that he will make his first parole

K&B4Eva
07-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi there,

My fiancee was scheduled for release on July 2nd. He completed a 90 day sentence on a parole stipulation. July 2 has come and gone and they have not released him. He has asked everyone from the CPOs to the captain and no one can give him any answers. Apparently the parole person is on vacation :confused:. Lots of people go on vacation but they usually appoint someone to handle their affairs so why my fiancee is being forced to sit is beyond me :angry:. He has done his time and then some. I guess my questions are (1) what is the CPOs role? They have done nothing for my fiancee. They won't make any calls. When it came time to find him a sober house his family and I wrote the letters, made the calls, and put up the money. The CPOs have done absolutely nothing! (2) If a person is given a release date what reasons could there be for holding it up? He has been a model prisoner the whole time he has been incarcerated (4 years out of a 5 year sentence completed) no tickets! There always seem to be some kind of administrative hold up when it comes to releasing him and his family and I pay the price. He has done everything that is asked of him. Why are people behind the scenes not held responsible for the wrong that they do. These are people's lives they are playing with, its not fair. My fiancee is not in there for a violent offense.

Any help, advice, or guidance you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what to do:cry:

parole_help_123
07-04-2009, 02:07 PM
My fiancee was scheduled for release on July 2nd. He completed a 90 day sentence on a parole stipulation. July 2 has come and gone and they have not released him. He has asked everyone from the CPOs to the captain and no one can give him any answers. Apparently the parole person is on vacation :confused:. Lots of people go on vacation but they usually appoint someone to handle their affairs so why my fiancee is being forced to sit is beyond me :angry:. He has done his time and then some. I guess my questions are (1) what is the CPOs role? They have done nothing for my fiancee. They won't make any calls. When it came time to find him a sober house his family and I wrote the letters, made the calls, and put up the money. The CPOs have done absolutely nothing! (2) If a person is given a release date what reasons could there be for holding it up? He has been a model prisoner the whole time he has been incarcerated (4 years out of a 5 year sentence completed) no tickets! There always seem to be some kind of administrative hold up when it comes to releasing him and his family and I pay the price. He has done everything that is asked of him. Why are people behind the scenes not held responsible for the wrong that they do. These are people's lives they are playing with, its not fair. My fiancee is not in there for a violent offense.

Any help, advice, or guidance you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what to do:cry:

I cannot tell you anything without knowing more information. You can write me a private message with more info and I'll look into the case and try to give you some answers.

JimmysLove
07-13-2009, 04:27 PM
I have a question... is there anywhere on the net where you can find out if someone has been granted parole in the state of Ma. without having to sign up for a 1 yr. membership for 20 bucks? there is no information on Vinelink about parole or do I have to call the facility to find out? I just dont want to jinx anything he has a parole murphys law thing...

justbeth
07-25-2009, 01:52 AM
My friend is going to court on the 29th. he is doing 5 to 6. He says they are hoping they would drop he mandatory, trafficing, and habitual charges will be dropped and possession with intent to distribute and probation

If all that gets dropped he could go to pre-release with 18 months lfet to see the parole board at 5 year mark instead of 6 and says that maybe in 6 months he would have one foot in and one foot out. Is this a possibility? I live in Kansas can he parole down to here?

parole_help_123
07-30-2009, 07:50 AM
My friend is going to court on the 29th. he is doing 5 to 6. He says they are hoping they would drop he mandatory, trafficing, and habitual charges will be dropped and possession with intent to distribute and probation

If all that gets dropped he could go to pre-release with 18 months lfet to see the parole board at 5 year mark instead of 6 and says that maybe in 6 months he would have one foot in and one foot out. Is this a possibility? I live in Kansas can he parole down to here?

Yes to all.

neoncar
08-01-2009, 05:19 AM
k i actually have a question that i don't already know the answer to and can't find. fiancee got a dui.(history for understanding following) bailed him out same nite parole detained him next day. however his po didn't want to some country bumpkin court made them come. 15 day hearing denied. we have in under 30 days cleared up case he got one yr probation 60 days suspended i kept the bail on him the whole time so parole would know there is someone that is there, got it back after case dealt with. he sees parole again on aug 20th. he was out for 18 months, full time job acquired own apartment everything. i have sent letters from all ie landlord job and such. hes curious to know if since it was a dui how harsh parole board will be. his rap up is november but he would like to get home to go back to work and not have me doing it all. should he request bracelet right away or just say hes even willig and able to do that?

parole_help_123
08-01-2009, 09:10 AM
k i actually have a question that i don't already know the answer to and can't find. fiancee got a dui.(history for understanding following) bailed him out same nite parole detained him next day. however his po didn't want to some country bumpkin court made them come. 15 day hearing denied. we have in under 30 days cleared up case he got one yr probation 60 days suspended i kept the bail on him the whole time so parole would know there is someone that is there, got it back after case dealt with. he sees parole again on aug 20th. he was out for 18 months, full time job acquired own apartment everything. i have sent letters from all ie landlord job and such. hes curious to know if since it was a dui how harsh parole board will be. his rap up is november but he would like to get home to go back to work and not have me doing it all. should he request bracelet right away or just say hes even willig and able to do that?

Well the problem is that he violated more than one rule. Rule 1 for Irresponsible Conduct (the new arrest) and Rule 8 (Liquor Abstinence). (There might be other violations; I don't know the case.) The good thing here is that it seems as if he's already been sentenced and the OUI case is disposed of via probation. However, the parolee didn't just get arrested on a new charge, he used drugs (alcohol) AND got arrested. A parolee that decides to use drugs (alcohol) while on parole shows a parolee that is not trustworthy and lacks merit for a re-parole. There are really no "grey areas" on drug use--either you use/drink, or you do NOT use/drink. That being said, letters of support, a relapse prevention plan, and a request for ELMO (the bracelet) WITH a Sobrietor might get him back out.

Good luck!

boosie2001
08-10-2009, 07:10 PM
my husband in there i would like to chat with him please

neoncar
08-10-2009, 11:42 PM
so he got preclassed today hes a 2 lol. the guards were even picking on him. they said something about plymouth great another hour to my ride. but we see parole next week so hopefully he can be classed home lol:p

missellie17
09-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm not sure what state you work in, but I'm from MA and that is where there question is based.

I have come to understand that to be released you must first be reclassed to minimum or pre-release for something like 6 months. Now, if SOs, to my understanding, can't be transferred below medium at all, how are they supposed to be parole eligible?

My hubby got 3-5 for enticement in one of those internet stings. i'm willing to forgive and beat his ass if he ever does anything again. I'm trying to be supportive and help him get out ASAP as his mother was just diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. I will be more of a warden than any PO who has ever lived, and I know that doesn't matter to them.

He's done the SO rehab program for the duration of his stay, we both made an effort to locate treatment centers to continue that process upon release, we're both willing to comply and do whatever it takes to let him see his mother before she passes (not sure how long she has but chemo is apparently not going so well and even a radical masectomy won't save her as the cancer has metasticized).

Are there any other options that we should consider, any recommendations?

He is no monster, he's harmless, never once violent, he does need to continue therapy (by my order or he won't see his daughter). Any suggestiong? Recommendations? Also, do Parole Board members actually have hearts? Seriously?

angel mathews
09-05-2009, 09:49 AM
It is my understanding that SO's can be reclassed to min or pre release 6 months before there ERD witch would mean your husband would have to do 2 1/2 years before he could be eligable for a reclassifation to min or pre release. I wish you luck and will pray that this happens and he will be able to see his mom... prayers to you and your family (((((((Hugs))))) Angel

P.S if I am wrong on any of the above I am sure parole help will come along shortly and set me straight he really is knowledgable about this stuff

angel mathews
09-06-2009, 10:43 PM
It is my understanding that SO's can be reclassed to min or pre release 6 months before there ERD witch would mean your husband would have to do 2 1/2 years before he could be eligable for a reclassifation to min or pre release. I wish you luck and will pray that this happens and he will be able to see his mom... prayers to you and your family (((((((Hugs))))) Angel

P.S if I am wrong on any of the above I am sure parole help will come along shortly and set me straight he really is knowledgable about this stuff

Sorry... please disregard my earlier... post I was informed today that my understanding about being reclassed to min or prerelease was wrong and that SO's can not go below a medium classifacation please accept my apoligies as this prison stuff has me so confussed most of the time

parole_help_123
09-09-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure what state you work in, but I'm from MA and that is where there question is based.

I have come to understand that to be released you must first be reclassed to minimum or pre-release for something like 6 months. Now, if SOs, to my understanding, can't be transferred below medium at all, how are they supposed to be parole eligible?

He's done the SO rehab program for the duration of his stay, we both made an effort to locate treatment centers to continue that process upon release, we're both willing to comply and do whatever it takes ...

Are there any other options that we should consider, any recommendations?

Also, do Parole Board members actually have hearts? Seriously?

First of all, yes, I'm a Mass PO in the field (streets).

Any inmate can see parole (when/if eligible) at ANY security level (Level six [Max] to Pre-release). Inmates do NOT need to be in a Minimum or lower to see the parole board. SOs cannot be classed below a level four (Medium) last I heard. All inmates granted a parole "reserve date" do NOT need to spend six months in minimum or lower; however, some inmates with violent crimes are individually given a reserve date after completion of six months in pre-release. This is done usually when the inmate has been In for a very long period of time (ie: 2nd degree lifers) or if the inmate has no work experience, etc. . . .

Most SOs, it seems, do not get a favorable parole decision. The very few that do often get a reserve after completing the four phase SO treatment. It sounds as if your husband has been compliant with SO therapy and stands a good chance at a reserve. ("Reserve" is the Mass parole's lingo for a favorable decision.) Also, all parolees in Mass that are any level SO shall go to sex offender therapy weekly.

And finally, all the board members have hearts and take their jobs very seriously; they look at each and every aspect of each individual case.

I hope this helps and wish you all good luck.

MrBDNice
09-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I have a question. I have already been approved by the board. I am currently out on day reporting. Now when my parole officer came to check out my house he told my family that I will not be able to drink or do drugs and he will be breathalizing as well and drug tests. Im dont really care about the whole drug testing part, but Ied like to be able to a enjoy a beer here and there. My question is in my parolee manual it say you may drink and posses alcohol unless you have special conditions from parole board to not participate in these activities. Ive never had a DUI or a case that involved alcohol. I am of legle age, I also do not drive. Only special condition I agreed to was to complete and program. Your thoughts would be very apreciated! TIA

parole_help_123
09-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I have a question. I have already been approved by the board. I am currently out on day reporting. Now when my parole officer came to check out my house he told my family that I will not be able to drink or do drugs and he will be breathalizing as well and drug tests. Im dont really care about the whole drug testing part, but Ied like to be able to a enjoy a beer here and there. My question is in my parolee manual it say you may drink and posses alcohol unless you have special conditions from parole board to not participate in these activities. Ive never had a DUI or a case that involved alcohol. I am of legle age, I also do not drive. Only special condition I agreed to was to complete and program. Your thoughts would be very apreciated! TIA

Believe me, you will have the added condition of "Supervise for Liquor Abstinence" (SD/SLA). There is not ONE parolee in Mass that is allowed to drink alcohol. Whether or not you decide to violate the condition and "enjoy a beer here and there," is up to you.

Good luck.

Julial
12-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Ok so I understand that if someone is going to be getting out on parole that they can't live with anyone on sec 8, but why is that? And is it the same for probation? Or if you marry that person? Would that even make a difference? I have been with my boyfriend since we were 17 now we are 30! We are going to get married anyway, but if that matters I guess we will have a shot gun wedding. I just don't understand why the state wouldn't let him live with me on parole but they would give him food stamps and sec 8 after leaving jail, so they would rather waste more of the states money helping him to make it in the "real world" rather then live with me? Or maybe the best idea is to give up my sec 8? What do you think? This is his first time ever being convicted of anything and he got an 8 yr sentence for dealing drugs. He has already served 6, has done 2 yrs of college with Boston university with a 97 grade average, through baystate correctional, correspondence courses in the mail with ashworth school. has had a job since almost day one an also has completed every program he could! He also wonders if he should just parole to a halfway house in Boston where we live?

parole_help_123
12-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Ok so I understand that if someone is going to be getting out on parole that they can't live with anyone on sec 8, but why is that? And is it the same for probation? Or if you marry that person? Would that even make a difference? I have been with my boyfriend since we were 17 now we are 30! We are going to get married anyway, but if that matters I guess we will have a shot gun wedding. I just don't understand why the state wouldn't let him live with me on parole but they would give him food stamps and sec 8 after leaving jail, so they would rather waste more of the states money helping him to make it in the "real world" rather then live with me? Or maybe the best idea is to give up my sec 8? What do you think?

You asked many questions. I'll be concise in my answer. Section 8 is a form of welfare that is awarded to those in need of rental assistance. The Section 8 voucher/agreement is awarded specifically to a certain person or specific family members--and no others. The rent that Section 8 pays for is a gift from our government and it is meant for that specific person AND NO OTHERS. "Sneaking" someone into an apartment that is paid for by us taxpayers is a form of welfare fraud; and that of course, is against the law.

However, an inmate/parolee can APPLY to be put on a Section 8 voucher/ agreement if the new combined income meets Section 8 guidelines. As there is now another person in the apartment, the Section 8 benefits will likely change. The original recipient (usually a girlfriend or baby mamma) will need to think hard about what they are getting into! If their rent goes up and then their man leaves or gets locked back up, she'll be stuck with the higher rent while the parolee is gone wherever.

The best thing to do for those enjoying the Section 8 benefits awarded by the people is to not risk losing their free money by taking in a parolee who may or may not be there the next month. If the relationship is marriage (legal marriage) and the woman feels confident enough to know that the parolee will never f-up again ;), maybe the couple should apply to have him on the new Section 8 agreement. To do so without re-applying is welfare fraud and the original recipient will lose her gift. I've see it happen more than enough times.

I hope this helps. I know it ain't easy living in this state and I really, REALLY hate it when a mother loses her Section 8 assistance due to a parolee's . . . whatever.

AuntiHelper
01-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Hello,
My nephew just came out on parole and is living with us. He is trying hard but his PO is tough and they just don't seem to mix. I worry that it is going to be a long three years. Is there a way to change POs? If there is a process, is it a bad idea to pursue changing (will it look bad for him)? Also, I know there are some general conditions and then some specific conditions that can be set by the PO. Is there a way to get a list of the general conditions for Massachusetts other than asking the PO?
Last one: is it a general condition that a parolee not interact, etc with other parolees/felons?
Thank you in advance for any and all help!

parole_help_123
01-13-2010, 08:08 AM
@ AuntieHelper: I answered this in your identical post under a different title. Here's a copy of what I wrote:

Hi there, I'm a street PO and have been for a long time. It sounds to me as if your nephew will not make it if he's already having serious problems.

As for your questions: Your nephew needs to orient himself with his parole permit. On it are his general and special conditions. If he does not know what or where the permit is, he better figure out just what he thinks he's planning on doing.

As for association: This is a general condition. It is "Rule #4," which is paraphrased as parolee will have NO contact with anyone with a criminal record or doing something criminal. If the parolee works with other cons or sees them at church, AA meetings, etc, that is acceptable, BUT NO ASSOCIATION. This is fairly simple and black and white. Either you hang out with them or you do not hang out with them.

It sounds to me as if the PO knows a little bit more about what's going on with your nephew than your nephew is telling you.

And finally, Mass PO's cover districts/neighborhoods/towns. If your nephew wants to "switch" POs, he needs to move to a district not supervised by the PO he is "having a problem with."

Good luck.

Webster1
01-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Hi

I've got a couple of questions, I'm trying to get as much info as possible for someone.

A friend of mine was convicted of negligent homicide [misdemenor] and sentenced to 3 months in prison. They are due to have the initial interview soon for parole [1 month prior to anticipated release date].
They have no criminal record [other than this incident], and no problems while in prison.
However, they do have an open case; driving without a license [court ordered no driving prior to court date, they were caught doing so].
Obviously we are trying to get this taken care of ASAP, but I'm not sure if it will be taken care of before the initial interview.
Does anyone know how long we have before it will potentially cause denial of parole?
For example, I'm assuming if it's taken care of the same day as the initial interview it wouldn't cause any problems, but how soon after?
Also, any chance of signals being crossed regarding the court saying it's taken care of and probation seeing that it's still there?
I hope that last question made sense. :P

Next; they were also charged with DUI and posession, but found not guilty of both. However, even though they were found NG, the courts language and actions were as though they had been found guilty.
Any chance this will effect any part of the parole?

They have a stable good home to come back to, but as of right now no job and no plan for anything regarding drug/alcohol treatment. They will potentially be registered/ intent to register for school.
Will any of those have an adverse effect on parole being granted?

Anything else that would help, letters, ect?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Webster1
01-21-2010, 08:48 AM
One other question.
They will be confined to house arrest for 3 months following their sentence. Their understanding is they will not be allow to work or attend school while on house arrest [or to leave for any reason whatsoever], and that the house arrest will start as soon as they leave prison, so IF they make parole, it wil start the same time parole does.

Will this potentially have any adverse effects?

caribbeanblue77
02-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Until now I always tried to prevent thinking about this, but now I would really like to know if there is the slightest chance for my bf to be released someday. He is serving two life sentences without parole and has been in prison (MCI Norfolk) for 17 years. Can anybody tell me where I can find information on this, I'd really like to do some research on this. I would like to know if the sentence "without parole" really means no hope at all in MA. Thank you very much in advance!

parole_help_123
02-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Until now I always tried to prevent thinking about this, but now I would really like to know if there is the slightest chance for my bf to be released someday. He is serving two life sentences without parole and has been in prison (MCI Norfolk) for 17 years. Can anybody tell me where I can find information on this, I'd really like to do some research on this. I would like to know if the sentence "without parole" really means no hope at all in MA. Thank you very much in advance!

If he's serving to First Degree Murder bits he will never get out. If he's serving two Second Degree "life" sentences, he will be eligible after 15 years (unless they're 'from and after' sentences--in which case it would be 30 years).

Do you know if he's serving "Murder 1st" or "Murder 2nd?"

caribbeanblue77
02-08-2010, 02:46 PM
He was found guilty on two accounts of first degree murder.....this doesn't look good at all.

caribbeanblue77
02-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Do you think it makes sense to have a lawyer look into this case at all?

Webster1
02-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Any input on my questions? :)

parole_help_123
02-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Do you think it makes sense to have a lawyer look into this case at all?

I cannot answer that for you. You probably have heard his version of the crimes. The Commonwealth did as well and convicted him on two counts of First Degree Murder. He has probably filed appeals but finds himself still In. Many lawyers will 'look into' it for you, and you will pay them to do so. Commutation is an 'out,' but rarely happens--especially for murderers.

Sorry that this is not positive for you. Good luck.

parole_help_123
02-09-2010, 08:49 AM
[quote=Webster1;5181935]Hi

I've got a couple of questions, I'm trying to get as much info as possible for someone.

A friend of mine was convicted of negligent homicide [misdemenor] and sentenced to 3 months in prison. They are due to have the initial interview soon for parole [1 month prior to anticipated release date].
They have no criminal record [other than this incident], and no problems while in prison.
However, they do have an open case; driving without a license [court ordered no driving prior to court date, they were caught doing so].

What the inmate must do is either "Postpone" his initial hearing until the case is disposed of; or, request to be paroled to the warrant, which seldom happens for same-state warrants/open cases. (If it was another state or Immigration, he could be paroled there.)

If he is only serving three months, his parole eligibility is anytime after 45 days. With an open case, the inmate will most likely wrap up and then commence whatever it is you mentioned (house arrest?).

Next; they were also charged with DUI and posession, but found not guilty of both. However, even though they were found NG, the courts language and actions were as though they had been found guilty.
Any chance this will effect any part of the parole?

The parole hearing is not a trial. The inmate is already convicted. The board member will look at the whole case because it resulted in a death (as you wrote) not what was plea-bargained out, found not guilty, etc.... The only 'language' anyone looks at is his BOP/CORI (criminal history). On it, his cases will either be Closed, Open, Warrant, or pending probation violation (VPH). If the cases are closed, one of the following terms will explain why: Dismissed, Not Guilty, Nol Pros, CWOF, or Guilty. "Guilty" is the only term in the BOP/CORI's 'language' that means guilty.

They have a stable good home to come back to, but as of right now no job and no plan for anything regarding drug/alcohol treatment. They will potentially be registered/ intent to register for school.
Will any of those have an adverse effect on parole being granted?

Anything else that would help, letters, ect?

Anything will help, but with an open case, the chances of even being seen, are slim.

caribbeanblue77
02-09-2010, 09:40 AM
I cannot answer that for you. You probably have heard his version of the crimes. The Commonwealth did as well and convicted him on two counts of First Degree Murder. He has probably filed appeals but finds himself still In. Many lawyers will 'look into' it for you, and you will pay them to do so. Commutation is an 'out,' but rarely happens--especially for murderers.

Sorry that this is not positive for you. Good luck.

thank you so much! That already helped me a lot!

Webster1
02-09-2010, 08:52 PM
What the inmate must do is either "Postpone" his initial hearing until the case is disposed of; or, request to be paroled to the warrant, which seldom happens for same-state warrants/open cases. (If it was another state or Immigration, he could be paroled there.)

If he is only serving three months, his parole eligibility is anytime after 45 days. With an open case, the inmate will most likely wrap up and then commence whatever it is you mentioned (house arrest?).

Anything will help, but with an open case, the chances of even being seen, are slim.

Thank you for your help. :) I really appreciate it.

They still haven't been seen by parole. Parole is apparently backed up, but inmates with a parole date after thiers have already been seen. I'm assuming it's because of thier open case [though according to thier case worker they don't have any open cases]. If the case is completed before thier parole date would the parole board likely examine [reexamine?] thier case? Or are they probably just going to have to complete thier sentence without being seen by parole?

Thanks again for your help.

parole_help_123
02-10-2010, 08:10 AM
[quote=Webster1;5221462]Thank you for your help. :) I really appreciate it.

They still haven't been seen by parole. Parole is apparently backed up, but inmates with a parole date after thiers have already been seen. I'm assuming it's because of thier open case [though according to thier case worker they don't have any open cases]. If the case is completed before thier parole date would the parole board likely examine [reexamine?] thier case? Or are they probably just going to have to complete thier sentence without being seen by parole?

Your friend must see parole by statute if eligible. Being backed up isn't an excuse ever used by the Parole Board--all institutional parole people are very organized and are experts in sentencing laws--case workers and records managers come to parole for questions.

However, no system is perfect, and it's been my experience that some inmates "fall through the cracks" due to sentencing, court, records, or mittimus errors.

If your friend believes he (she) is being overlooked, your friend must contact the IPO (Institutional Parole Officer) via "institutional mail," stating their situation.

Please contact me through PM if you need more specific help. However, I cannot check this everyday due to my busy job as a PO, as a daddy, as a husband, and all that.:)

terryjay
03-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Hi My Husband got his parole date for March 3rd and he was going to a sober house as he can not come with me as I am on section 8 so we paid the sober house and they denied him because he was on methedone for his back injury so the parole officer told me to get him a room which I did I paid for him and was so happy only too find out they denied that as the man lied and said he would not have the room ready till may 11th where I have the receiot saying it would be ready march 4th so his last hope is his sister in laws who daughters boyfriend was in jail years ago so now my husband said that will not happen either. is there any where you know we an turn for help as we do not have money. please help us on what we can do. will they really not let him stay there if an exfelon is there some times? why are they giving him such a hard time and can they use his medeicne against him? Thank You.

parole_help_123
03-09-2010, 09:30 PM
[quote=terryjay;5269362]Hi My Husband got his parole date for March 3rd and he was going to a sober house as he can not come with me as I am on section 8 so we paid the sober house and they denied him because he was on methedone

It sounds as if you're in an extraordinary mess. What part of Mass are you all in? I might be able to give you a place or two that has parole-paid-for beds. If you'd rather, you can PM me. I will try to check tomorrow or Thursday.

student2011
03-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Hello!

I am a student doing a research report on the parole system's strengths, weaknesses, and other issues. If you are a parolee, here are some questions that would be VERY helpful to get answers to:

- Age, gender, ethnicity (optional)
- What was your occupation before your arrest?
- How long have you been on parole?
- What kind of crime were you incarcerated for? (violent, nonviolent, etc)
- Where were you incarcerated?
- During your sentence, did you receive education of any kind? Were you employed?
- If employed, were you able to use that money after your release?
- What options, if any, were presented to assist your transition to normal society?
- How difficult was obtaining employment after being paroled?
- What would have made your transition easier/more effective?
- What is your ideal relationship with a parole officer?
- Do you feel a temporary community designed to assist the transition from prison to society would be beneficial?

Answers to any of these would be outstanding!

These are all for academic purposes.

michellecass74
04-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi there,

Hi My husband was granted parole with a release date on or after April 20th 2010. I have yet to receive a phone call for them to come visit my house and it is now April 8th. Do you know who i can call to find out when they will be coming to visit my home? I live in Revere Mass. He is doing time at Southbay

parole_help_123
04-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Hi My husband was granted parole with a release date on or after April 20th 2010. I have yet to receive a phone call for them to come visit my house and it is now April 8th. Do you know who i can call to find out when they will be coming to visit my home? I live in Revere Mass. He is doing time at Southbay

April 8th is a LONG way away from the 20th. The PO will get in contact with you a few days before that date.

If you still haven't heard anything after the 20th, let me know and I'll check what's up.

How's that sound? :)

michellecass74
04-10-2010, 07:05 PM
thank you he was never away before and we have a son about to turn a year old. I did not know how it worked other than they have to come visit our home. i didnt realize they called you a few days before the release date
:confused:

Furball
04-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Hi! I was hoping for some information. My fiance's parole date was today. The MA parole board recommended that he be paroled to NH to live with me. He has no family in MA or NH. I own my own home & we were hoping to marry in Oct. 2010. On March 22nd, 3 parole officers came to my home at 8:30pm (unannounced) to check out my home. One of the officers stated that my fiance did not meet the requirements for an interstate compact (not married to me, no immediate family in NH & no immediate job). I stated that he had no where else to go except home to me. He then told me that he would go through his file again & make his decision whether or not he could parole to my home. He said my fiance would know by today. He has not heard anything from anyone. His IOP told him "When I know, you'll know". So, my question is: Should he have heard something from someone by now? We need to make plans for his release & really need to know what is going on. Is there someone I could call or is there anyway he can find out anything. He is in Boston PreRelease Ctr. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

michellecass74
04-15-2010, 11:26 AM
April 8th is a LONG way away from the 20th. The PO will get in contact with you a few days before that date.

If you still haven't heard anything after the 20th, let me know and I'll check what's up.

How's that sound? :)

Hi today is the 15th and no one has called me to come visit my home. Do you know who i can contact to check the status?

parole_help_123
04-15-2010, 07:10 PM
[/quote]" . . . . So, my question is: Should he have heard something from someone by now? We need to make plans for his release & really need to know what is going on. Is there someone I could call or is there anyway he can find out anything. He is in Boston PreRelease Ctr. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]

New Hampshire is usually very quick. We are about four to five times bigger and busier. Your fiancee should have the answer no later than the 30th. Also, it's true what the NH POs said: another state does not have to accept an out-of-state parolee if that parolee has no immediate family in the receiving state. If you were married, it would be called a "mandatory acceptance transfer."

I hope it works out for you both. :)

Furball
05-06-2010, 05:44 PM
" . . I hope it works out for you both. :)[/quote]

:( Well, after calling MA ICAOS & emailing the NH we received the NH PO's decision today. They denied his request to parole to NH based on that I am on disability & can't "support" him. I really don't understand. I've lived in NH since 2001 & purchased a home here in January with an inheritance that I received. I owe no money on the home. I realize that NH didn't have to agree to the request but wouldn't it be better for my fiance to live in a home that is paid for & work in NH rather than have to pay rent somewhere in MA & work there? According to my fiance, his IPO & the man from the MA ICAOS office had different understandings of the NH decision. One of them thought it was because he didn't have a NH job to come home to & support himself, the other thought it was because of my income. They also weren't sure if NH understood that I've lived in NH since 2001 or that he was a MA resident at the time of his arrest but lived with me while awaiting trial. We were planning to get married 10/10 but his IPO said if we get married now, it might take another year for another NH request would be approved. How can he find a job in NH if he is in MA?
Do you have any suggestions on what we should do?????:confused:

Furball
05-07-2010, 07:24 AM
I received more information from the NH Interstate Compact Office. NH didn't have to accept my fiance's request because he was not a NH resident at the time of his arrest & that we are not married. I understood that. We must be legally married & I must prove that I have lived in NH for at least 6 months for him to qualify as a resident family member for the request to become a mandatory one. But even then, I THINK they still have to approve the plan to accept him as a transfer.
So, a prison wedding was not what we envisioned, but it seems that is our only option. From what I've read here that will be another obstacle but hopefully we can manage to somehow get married asap.

parole_help_123
05-08-2010, 11:48 AM
So, a prison wedding was not what we envisioned, but it seems that is our only option. From what I've read here that will be another obstacle but hopefully we can manage to somehow get married asap.
[/quote]

Yup, it looks as if y'all need "to get hitched." :) (Besides marriage is a personal contract between two people. A wedding is a party--why not get married now and have a wedding later?)

Let me be the first to congratulate you both! :thumbsup:

Furball
07-02-2010, 09:57 AM
We got married!! Now, I'm wondering when he'll be home. He had a date of 4/12/10 but NH denied the first interstate compact request. Last night the PO came again for the second request. He said that he would approve the request & would file it today. I THINK (I was too excited) that he said he COULD be released today. I thought it might take a few weeks. Also, it is a holiday weekend so many of the "IC chain" might be on vacation. How quickly does it usually take?? My hunny isn't calling til tonight & I'm just so anxious!!!!

angel mathews
07-02-2010, 11:23 AM
I am so happy for you hope all goes well and that he will be home soon

parole_help_123
07-05-2010, 09:48 PM
We got married!! Now, I'm wondering when he'll be home. He had a date of 4/12/10 but NH denied the first interstate compact request. Last night the PO came again for the second request. He said that he would approve the request & would file it today. I THINK (I was too excited) that he said he COULD be released today. I thought it might take a few weeks. Also, it is a holiday weekend so many of the "IC chain" might be on vacation. How quickly does it usually take?? My hunny isn't calling til tonight & I'm just so anxious!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!:)

As for Interstate, it doesn't take too long, but it's not too quick either. :angry:

Good luck with your lives together!

Furball
07-12-2010, 03:01 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!:)

As for Interstate, it doesn't take too long, but it's not too quick either. :angry:

Good luck with your lives together!

The MA to NH approved interstate compact was sent to MA today. Do you think I could expect him home in the next month? Is there a time frame for after it's been accepted from the receiving state to MA for a release?

KeithsWifeyxOx
07-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Is it true that if the inmate has recieved a ticket within the 6 months prior to parole he won't be eligible? (Not sure if this goes under Parole Eligibility since it's kind of a cut and dry rule)

Furball
07-14-2010, 01:54 PM
The MA to NH approved interstate compact was sent to MA today. Do you think I could expect him home in the next month? Is there a time frame for after it's been accepted from the receiving state to MA for a release?

He'll be home FRIDAY!!! Thank you for all your help!!!:D

faithanne
10-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Hi Parole 123,
MY guy is being detained in MA for a parole violation (but with no charges). The first detainer was for 60 days, now today the second 15 day detainer expired. The detainer was to give Rhode Island a chance to come and get him since that's where his original sentence is being served. He transfered his parole to MA in February. My question is, Rhode Island has not come to get him in the 75 days. They have til midnight tonight. If they don't come, MA has to let him out tomorrow, what happens to the detention warrant in Rhode Island? He has heard nothing from them. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

laurenjp32508
11-03-2010, 08:55 AM
If my guy gets parole in June 2011..

His mother said she will get him an apartment so he can start his life fresh before he gets out...he lives in MASS. He is in a Mass Prison. But this apartment is in RI...
When he gets out, if his name is on the lease in the apartment in RI, will he be able to parole there?

parole_help_123
11-04-2010, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=laurenjp32508;5758170]If my guy gets parole in June 2011..

His mother said she will get him an apartment so he can start his life fresh before he gets out...he lives in MASS. He is in a Mass Prison. But this apartment is in RI...
When he gets out, if his name is on the lease in the apartment in RI, will he be able to parole there?[/QUOTE

That is called a "Discretionary" transfer via Intersate Compact. It will most likely be denied by RI parole. If however, your friend applies to live in RI with his mother or other immediate family, that is called a "Mandatory" transfer and must be accepted. Once he lives with his mother in RI and is transferred there, he could move into his own apartment.

laurenjp32508
11-13-2010, 08:13 PM
If my son and I live at the apt in RI also, but there was a DV against me, and he was put to jail b/c of it...what will happen? Can he live with us? What happens is his mother says "He cannot parole to her house" and there is really no where else he can go besides to the apt in RI where our son and I reside?

Please Help...

parole_help_123
11-17-2010, 08:10 PM
If my son and I live at the apt in RI also, but there was a DV against me, and he was put to jail b/c of it...what will happen? Can he live with us? What happens is his mother says "He cannot parole to her house" and there is really no where else he can go besides to the apt in RI where our son and I reside?

Please Help...

I presume "DV" means Domestic Violence? He will most likely NOT be able to live with you while on parole--especially since you are the victim. Men who have crossed the "line" and hit women and/or children WILL DO IT AGAIN. Sorry to be negative, but that's the way it is. The way it is cannot be changed. As the sun does not fail to rise every morning, so does the batterer not fail to strike again. I wish battered women could see that the sun will come up--no matter what they do, think, say, hear, wear, cook, overlook, pray, or wish. This is simply and unfortunately the way it is. (Lecture over.)

As for having no place else to go, he will have to find and gain acceptance to a program or halfway house in Mass. He will be free to leave Massachusetts upon his successful completion of parole or his sentence. He should also, when on the street, enter and complete the full 40 week Batterers Course--this course is not offered in MCI.

Good luck to you and your child. Protect him.

nicbryt
12-07-2010, 10:07 AM
hi my wife is incarcerated in framigham and is seeing parole on friday.... can someone PLEASE tell me what they are gonna ask/need from me for her to parole home????

parole_help_123
12-28-2010, 10:54 AM
hi my wife is incarcerated in framigham and is seeing parole on friday.... can someone PLEASE tell me what they are gonna ask/need from me for her to parole home????

Did she get a parole reserve date? Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

sarinajean
01-03-2011, 04:07 PM
My husband is in Boston Pre-release and is eligible for parole in April 2011. I am on probation for another year and a half. Will they make an exception and let him live with me since we are married?

bangieb
02-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Hi, I have read your FABULOUS answers to everyone, and am hoping you can be just as helpful to me. I have read our state Governor's directive to the parole board not to release any prisoner with a violent charge until confidence has been restored to the parole supervision system. My loved one see's the parole board and he does have a violent charge. Previous to this shake-up with the parole board I had 100% confidence that he would be granted parole. Now...not so hopeful. My question is, what is the measurement tool for "confidence", what is the timeline for restoring it, and what are the alternatives for inmates seeking parole? I would hope the foul actions of one parolee would not be used to judge everyone else. Please help, I want to ensure that when he goes to the hearing he is given a fair chance.

frankieswife
06-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi there, I don't know anything about prison swaps, but then again, I work for the Parole Board, not the DOC. As for transferring PAROLE to Mass, he can do it, but he needs to have a home plan to go to. Ensure he has your current address and phones to submit to the prison or parole staff. Once Texas Parole submits it to Mass, we then have 45 days to complete the home plan request, which we call a home investigation. If it's approved, he has about 72 hours to check into the regional office which covers the town he's going to live in.

Good luck. That's quite a hefty sentence your friend received.
Hi i have question my husband is going to court in july for class b drug charges sitting in dedham house right now for probation problems he is a veteran and 100 perccent do you think trying to get out of ankle bracklet a chance or waiting for parole hearing in sept

frankieswife
06-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi i have question about the ankle bracklet and parole which one is easier to get out on and what is the different rules of each thank you

socal729
07-04-2011, 07:36 PM
I am new to the Massachusetts postings - I previously was interested in California posts. My son is on parole in California and has applied for interstate transfer to come back home to Massachusetts. I am his mother and he will be living with me until he gets on his feet. From what I understand CA will be sending MA the packet of information and someone from MA parole will stop by my home to speak with me and check out my home. No worries there at all. Can anyone tell me the particulars of interstate transfer to MA? How long does it take once MA gets the forms? Where are the parole offices located if I live in north central Worcester county? Any other experiences that you can let me know will be helpful. Thanks for the help

lele06
07-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Hello. I have a question. I don't know how the parole system works. Well my fiancee did 28 monthes on a 4 year non violent sentence. He uses his son's mother's mother's address to be paroled out quicker, due to the reason that they said that they would help him out due to him wanting to be there for his son. But at that time of his incarceration I moved to nc with my grandmother due to it being so hard out here without him. But he paroled out and the first day that he was out his son's grandmother told the parole officer that he doesn't live there! So his parole officer told my fiancee that he would be sent back!!!! I told my fiancee to just come down to nc, until we could figure something out. I didn't want for him to go back as soon as he got out! Who would? But the bad news is that my fiancee was driving 2 wks ago and got pulled over and of course he doesn't have a license so they did a check on him and they took him to jail for a misdemeanor for driving without a license and lord and behold georgia sent nc paperwork saying that he was wanted for extradition on his parole violation. My fiancee had the option to waive it to fight extradition, but with that being said he's never be able to move ahead and have a normal life like getting a good job or even going to college. Will they be leniant towards him? Because the paper work that they sent to the jail in nc said that he would have to serve 6-12 monthes for violation? We are expecting our child this oct. It's so sad. He wanted to be here for that event. But what can we do? So does anyone know how the parole system works out there in georgia? Would he atleast be eligible for work release? But with all that being said. I'll end up moving back to georgia... I need to be by him. Thank you for all of those that reply...

paganmom03
07-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Hi I am trying to find out more information on the Early Parole possibility in Massachusetts. My fiance was sentenced 4 to 6 years for a non-violent/non-drug related crime and is housed at a minimum security prison. He is entering his second year served and we had heard that he could apply for early parole a third into his minimum sentence which would be this year. Is this really possible? If he gets pre-release can he get transferred to a jail at that point? He has been doing very well keeping himself active and doing everything he needs to do to show he has learned his lesson and wants to live a clear life with his family. If anyone can help with these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

Kimjaye
09-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi all! I have a question that I cannot seem to find answers to! My fiancé is a second degree lifer starting his 4th year of parole. We are planning to relocate to N.C. In the summer of 2013 via interstate compact. His parole officer has mentioned twice that he is a likely candidate to have his parole lifted after 7 years. Not sure what its called...Revise and release??This would be AMAZING!!! I haven't been able to find any info on this process at all. Were wondering if relocating would jeopardize, or delay this. It would be worth staying a few more months in mass if so!
Thx in advance! It's really nice to have a place to bring these questions!

Cactus
09-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi all! I have a question that I cannot seem to find answers to! My fiancé is a second degree lifer starting his 4th year of parole. We are planning to relocate to N.C. In the summer of 2013 via interstate compact. His parole officer has mentioned twice that he is a likely candidate to have his parole lifted after 7 years. Not sure what its called...Revise and release??This would be AMAZING!!! I haven't been able to find any info on this process at all. Were wondering if relocating would jeopardize, or delay this. It would be worth staying a few more months in mass if so!
Thx in advance! It's really nice to have a place to bring these questions!
This is a very good question. In other words N.C. may not recognize the Massachusetts "Revise and Release" you mentioned above. I'm not a lawyer so I cannot give you any legal advice, however staying in MA. may be in your best interest. JMOpinion.
To get a second opinion(s), you might want to check out our PTO Legal Help (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72) forum; (Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources).
I hope that helps. :cool:
Cactus~

doggonitt
11-06-2011, 02:22 PM
What happens when you go on parole for oui, you have no job, no money, no place to stay, and are not allowed to drive. How are you supposed to get to your monthly meeting? How are you supposed to pay with no job, and no money?? How can you get to the random alcohol testing without transportation. How do you even notify if you do not have a phone. thank you for your help.

jennives80
07-17-2012, 12:26 PM
My fiance is in prison in MA and i live in Colorado...we will be getting married soon and he goes up for parole next summer...what do we need to do so that he will be able to parole here where we live...he says if they dont let him parole to CO than hes just gonna finish up his bid...im all new to this and anything would help on what i should do or what we could do...thank you