View Full Version : I dont understand the meaning - " Lock-down "

wtomatoo1030
07-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I always heard people said "lockdown", "in the reception" or "in a hole", what does that mean??

meganlea
07-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Lockdown is when the prisoners can't freely leave their cells, come and go, etc. They're in their cells darn near every minute of the day. From my penpals experience, they tend to last a few days at a time.

In the reception happens when they're first received at a prison.

In the hole means they were a bad boy...they're in segregation.

Tamter143
07-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Lockdown usually means that they are told to stay on the rack or whatever because something has happened within the camp and an investigation is pending.....

In the Reception - Ummmmmmm! I don't know other than that fact you are in reception when you first get to prison....

And in the hole means you have displinary action against you and you are "in the hole" meaning not out in regular population.

Now all this is my opinion about the meaning......

wtomatoo1030
07-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Thank you for the explainations, I understand now!!

irshnrse
07-12-2007, 07:31 PM
People can also be in "lockdown" without any disciplinary write-ups...maybe they are high profile or something like that.

wtomatoo1030
12-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Normally how long it takes if he's in the hole? My man is in the hole now, does that mean he cann't do anything there? Can he write letters?

PTO-92958
12-28-2007, 09:19 PM
They cannot be denied letters. He can write and recieve letters.
But no phone calls... and visits are restricted as well, if they are allowed to recieve them at all, depending upon what got him in the box/hole in the first place.

DestinysChild
12-29-2007, 01:03 AM
Lockdown=Sometimes the entire prison or jail is on what they call security override. Which means that something has happened somewhere (fight or something) & everyone is locked in their cells or onto their bunks. Sometimes there is restricted movement on the yard or in the jail. It also sometimes is because there is a shortage of officers & there must be a certain amount available per inmate. A lot of times on holidays the jail/prisons are locked down simply because there is a shortage of officers.

Reception=When you first arrive in prison you go to a place where they classify you. They also do health tests etc., usually it takes a couple weeks to be processed into prison. Registration & assessment (R & A) is also called reception.

The Hole=Being put in detention for getting in trouble for any reason an officer writes you up means being put in a cell other than general population. Inmates call it "the hole" or "the shu". In the older days it was more like a real "hole", where there was no light, also just a hole in the ground to go to the bathroom.

Pretty much the way I know it. Hope that helps.

Mrs_Mills
11-08-2009, 12:11 PM
My husband is in a Disciplinary Lockdown, does that mean he started something or could that be of another inmate picking on him, or a fight else where in the prison?

He's in a Florida prison.

sidewalker
11-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Im still trying to figure out all the terms as well.
As I understand it, lockdown can be for many reasons. Right now, some are being locked down because someone got ill with what could be swine flu.
Or in the case at my husbands prison, modified program, which means they MAY get visits, but no yard. Something happend. (as I understand it, a piece of metal was missing from the kitchen, or some dental equipment is missing.......)

from what you said, Disciplinary lockdown......would assume SOMEONE did something and so they either locked him down or locked down the whole yard, due to that incident.
I only have limited experience with CA prisons, but Im assuming some of these terms are interchangeable, with states, feds, etc..........

Onedaycloser13
11-08-2009, 12:40 PM
In VA they can be locked down from anything from a fight or just so the guards can check cells. They have both modified, which means they can come out of their cells at times and still have many privelages, but some are taken. Then there is straight lock where they do not come out of their cells...not for showers, to eat, nothing....
the hole here is for disciplinary measures...mostly fighting but can anything the guards feel is a displinary problem.

PhilB
11-09-2009, 03:43 AM
Lock-down is any level of restricted movement or activities. The may be restricted to their cells or to their day rooms. Kitchen/food workers may be working during some lock-downs.
It can be done to permit the majority of COs to join in a tactical operation leaving their units with minimum staffing.
It has been also used to quarantine a unit or units because of a serious infectious outbreak.
It has nothing to do with IMU Seg or hole status as they are always on lock-down, except for one hour a day in a concrete yard.
If there is a very foggy day where the COs cannot monitor inmates outside of their units they may be locked-down.
So you see it can be for almost any reason, even if the staffing (COs) is below minimum requirements due to flu season.
If an inmate states that they are on lock-down individually it can be a sanction for an infraction, more often referred to as "cell confinement".

Anjewel
11-09-2009, 06:01 AM
My husband is in a Disciplinary Lockdown, does that mean he started something or could that be of another inmate picking on him, or a fight else where in the prison?

He's in a Florida prison.

Mrs Millls, if your husband is on DC (disciplinary confinement) that means the investigation is over and he's been written a DR (disciplinary report) which warranted jail time (DC).

Now, you can call his Classification Officer and find out what the DR was for and even get copies of the investigation report.

I would almost guarantee it's not over a fight elsewhere in the prison. Because in order for them to give him a DR they are saying he was involved in something he shouldn't have been, even taking up for himself or other such. We can speculate 16 ways to Sunday, the only way to know for sure what he's in jail for is to call and ask.

newoneinFl
11-09-2009, 07:01 AM
My daughter just received lock down. She is in a Florida prison. She attempted to move from her cell to another due to another female always threatening her. It finally happened, the girl went to my daughters bunk and hit her in the face, my daughter did fight back, as I would have too. You cant let people walk over you in a prison or everyone will do it. The video showed the girl walking to my daughters bed, daughter was sitting in the bed with her back to the camera, they could see the girls hands because my daughters back was to the camera. My daughter admitted the truth, and the warden told her she wished she could see the other girls hands on her, but the video wasnt set up in a way to see this. Daughter plead she was partly guilty and gets locked in a cell for thirty days, loss of gain time, but when she gets out of lock down, she can start regaining time. The other girl is there for a long time and they dont care what happens to them. Others who witnessed this are afraid to speak up since the trouble maker didnt get in trouble. I cant blame them. At least now my daughter will get moved to another section in the prison. She is on community level still. Hope that helps. They still get a shower three times a week, but are handcuffed and taken to the shower for 15 minutes, then handcuffed again to return to their cell. Meals are sent to her room, as well as Doctor visits if any are needed. She said its cleaner in lock down.

bourgm
11-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Lockdown is a term that prisons use that means "restricted movement". This can mean the whole jail is on lock down (example would be for a facility search for contraband) or a person is on lock down due to disciplinary problems.

Either way the person, group, or facility is on limited movement. Normal jobs don't go out unless they are manditory. Example of a job that would still go would be kitchen workers, etc.. But each prison has their own policy for during a lock down.

Hope this helped.

waltcandme
11-12-2009, 09:39 AM
i heard a rumor that when they are put on confinment or the box they lose some gaintime ! is that tru? im really worried its to close to his release and all they are saying is he's on confinment

PhilB
11-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Most serious infractions can result in the loss of some good time. How much depends on the violation and the hearing officer.

Onedaycloser13
11-12-2009, 12:36 PM
In va I am pretty sure if you get into any kind of trouble and end up in the hole, or sometimes with a charge..your good time is gone.

WaitingOnEddie
11-12-2009, 06:58 PM
i heard a rumor that when they are put on confinment or the box they lose some gaintime ! is that tru? im really worried its to close to his release and all they are saying is he's on confinment

It depends on what he got put in the hole for and it also depends on the prison he is in and how they handle their write-ups. I did 3 years on 4. Out of the 3 years I was in the hole for 8 months...once for 6 months and then twice for 30 days. The 6 month thing...they had me as as M.A.S (maximum assaultive status). Pretty much I had gotten in a fight with another inmate and when a CO tried to break it up, I hit her too. So for hitting an officer I got 6 months in the hole...which I was lucky that I didnt get another charge b/c I very well could have.

I didn't lose any of my good time, but I *could* have lost 90 days good time. Write ups are kind of handled similar to a regular court...you get your 'charge' (write up), you go in and defend yourself (most prisons have inmate legal aid reps), and then they decide your punishment. Then there is also an appeal process if an inmate wants to appeal the punishment.

Hope this info helps...this is only based on the two prisons I was in which were in KY.