View Full Version : What happens when inmates are released?

Aztechalo
07-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Do all inmates go to a half way house or are there certain criteria?

SCMom
07-07-2007, 09:22 AM
This is how I understand it. HWH is part of the incarceration and helps the inmates integrate back into society. The BOP doesn't like it when they refuse to go to HWH. There is another thread here somewhere that talks about the very same thing.
BUT, if the inmate is in on a probation violation and serving his/her time out then they would be released without HWH.

1Citizen
07-08-2007, 01:11 PM
As far as I know, not all inmates are offered HWH placement, but one could normally expect it and ask their Unit Team about it - at least 12 months in advance of release, when possible.

HWH placement is based on many factors like, sentence length, crime, conduct, availability, etc.

Just from what I've experienced...Hope that helps.

Martha2
07-09-2007, 09:51 AM
I didn't go to a HWH. My sentence was 5 months in prison camp and 5 months on electronic ankle bracelet. I think it is based on the sentence you receive by the Judge. I might be wrong but this was my experience.

PTO-97580
07-09-2007, 10:21 AM
There are certain PSF's that will keep you out of the HWH such as sex offenses.

Aztechalo
07-09-2007, 01:45 PM
I was hoping for no hwh so this is good news. We don't live anywhere near one and it would make getting a job in the area all that much harder. He'll be in less than a year when it's all said and done.

richardfd
07-10-2007, 11:32 AM
anyone with a sentence of under a year and a day usually does not get 1/2 way house unless it is specifically part of the sentence. ie: if your sentence is 7 months, you will most likely serve 7 months and on the last day you will get up go to R&D to check out and go home.

manchester03
07-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Some serve full term, meaning no good time or HWH, I've seen it happen. When I was at Butner in the "old mental ward" a guy refused everything they tried to give him and we walked out the gate after 5 years straight to his house. He said if he went to a HWH he woulda been back inside of a week. If you've had enough shots(write ups) you probably won't get HWH

Aztechalo
07-11-2007, 12:13 AM
HIs actual sentance is 1 year, 1 day, but his projectected release date is 10 months out. It almost seems like a waste to put him in hwh for a sentence under a year. There are a lot of people who could use and would like a longer stay in their hwh. But i suppose in the end that won't matter, it's federal government.

shorti-no-good
07-11-2007, 12:35 AM
That's true...not everyone has to do HWH.....some do it to knock more time off their paper trail!

richardfd
07-13-2007, 10:32 AM
year and a day sentence will probably get him 30-45 days hwh time

liljessesgirl
07-21-2007, 12:04 AM
i did 16 months of an 18 month sentence and i went right home. he'll have a meeting with his counselor and some other people that will talk about what is going to happen and where he is going to go when he gets out. i can remember what they call it though.

SCMom
07-21-2007, 04:31 AM
I have also heard one doing his time for a probation violation did not get HWH.

Anber
08-20-2013, 09:25 AM
So what if an inmate is sentenced to 60 months (5 years) and their release date is 36 months (2 1/2 years) what is the normal half way house length for them? The closest HWH is about an hour and fifteen minutes away from our house we have heard that he can check into the halfway house then pay for his bed and come home maybe the next day. Has anyone done this or know more info about the halfway house process?

walkingtourist
08-20-2013, 10:15 PM
six month sentence. went straight home. no halfway house.

Texasmom123
08-21-2013, 07:32 AM
So what if an inmate is sentenced to 60 months (5 years) and their release date is 36 months (2 1/2 years) what is the normal half way house length for them? The closest HWH is about an hour and fifteen minutes away from our house we have heard that he can check into the halfway house then pay for his bed and come home maybe the next day. Has anyone done this or know more info about the halfway house process?

I am not sure how you are getting 36 months out of a 60 month sentence but from what I read, HWH is either 12 months or 10% of the sentence. In your case, that would be 6 months. Either in prison, the HWH or Home Confinement, he will be under the control of the bop. The HWH portion seems to vary greatly from house to house and there is nothing that can pre-determine what will happen. Some houses require you to get a job and submit two pay stubs before they allow you to leave for HC. It's best to have your HC plan approved before going to the HWH. That is done by the Team in prison.

I have heard about inmates who checked in and were immediately sent home, even though they pay for their HWH bed for as long as they are assigned to the HWH. Others have to stay much longer.

Either way, neither the HWH or HC sound like easy roads. The rules are numerous and their policies that require an inmate to check in constantly using a land line phone are getting more tedious as we move to a cell phone world.
From what I can tell, the HWH/HC part of the journey is just another type of prison. Maybe it's worse because partial freedom is even more difficult to handle and the threat of getting sent back is huge.

fbopnomore
08-21-2013, 10:09 AM
With a 60 month federal sentence, his bop release date will be in 5 years, minus 235 days (7.8 months) of good time unless he earned additional time off for successfully completing the residential drug program, RDAP. HWH time, if any, happens before his release date but the amount of time is decided by his prison case manager. It can be anywhere from one year, to zero. He will be in bop custody until his release date, either in prison or under community corrections in a HWH or home confinement.

My sentence was also 60 months. I retained the entire 235 days of good time, but was only allowed 3 1/2 months in a HWH. I agree that my time in the HWH was more difficult than being locked in prison, but that depends on the individual and the actual HWH where they are sent.

safran
08-22-2013, 03:41 PM
But, Walking you were at a camp. I don't think they do that much for anywhere higher especially if not a low.

If he's not at a camp and is released to a HWH he will be there about six weeks. He won't be sent to home confinement the next day, but again a great deal depends of what security level he is being released from.

bigpappy
08-24-2013, 12:08 AM
I was at yazoo city - low.
My sentence was 33 months, of which I served 29. I got no halfway house time - but that was because I had some detainers that needed to be taken care of. <shrug>