View Full Version : Drivers License after being released

lovedogs
06-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Is there a way to get a drivers license for work after being released from state prison for DWI? Oh, and without spending tons of money??? You have to have a license to go to work and you must have a job to survive.

DaveMoff
06-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Did you have your license revoked or suspended? If so, some period of time may have to pass before you can get it reinstated--it should have been stated as part of your sentence.

A number of states require the payment of large "civil fees" to get a license reinstated after a DUI suspension. Very annoying if you need to drive to get to work.

Jillian
06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
I agree with Dave! Did they tell you that your license was suspended or anything like that. If you still have your court papers it should state it on their or you can call the court and they will tell you.

Kay
06-28-2007, 03:10 PM
You should have gotten a notice from DPS about your license suspension. You can call your local DPS office if you need more info. I just went through this process with my son but it cost an attorney fee, ALR reinstatement fee, SR-22 insurance, plus he had to have a Breathalizer installed in his vehicle. He just got home recently and his charge was DWI. His parole officer was the one who told him he had to have the Breathalizer installed so you want to check with your PO also. Texas wonders why many people drive without a license??? I can tell them! There is no inexpensive way to get your DL back as far as I know. If I can help you more just send me a PM. Good Luck!

lormur
06-28-2007, 09:40 PM
There is something that is called an Occupational license that is available but i do not know how it is acquired. I know of a young man who recently completed a DUI Program and he had one that allowed him to drive to and from work or to interview for a job. He has now received his real license back after about 4 years with the Occupational license. It may be worth checking to avoid paying lots of money up front.

Kay
06-29-2007, 10:26 AM
An occupational license is what Jason got and it took all of the above to get it. He is allowed to drive certain hours only. When TX makes it all but impossible to get your DL so you can even go to work it seems they are just setting them up to fail. If you are caught driving without your DL it is a huge fine and could possibly violate the parole conditions given. A difficult situation at best.

lormur
06-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Kay, I checked with the young man to whom I referred and he was only put on probation, did a lot of community service and including attorney fees the whole thing cost him about $4000. That did not include insurance.

funtie8
06-29-2007, 04:07 PM
You don't have to have a licenseunless you are trying to get job that requires driving which may be difficul with a DUI. You could get a state ID.

Kay
06-29-2007, 08:09 PM
That is true to a point Funtie but unless you have someone willing and able to drive you back and forth to work every day a drivers license is necessary. There is no public transportation at all in the area I live in but I could see how if there were a person could catch a bus or call a taxi perhaps. Jean, our total came in at less than your friends but it wasn't cheap. I realize driving is a privilege and unfortunately some people don't realize how much of a privilege it is until it is lost.

lormur
06-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Guess what, we don't have public transportation either and this young man is a student and works nights. He lives on campus but his job is from 4-Midnight and about 15 miles from Campus so he had to have a license to get to and from work.

ParoledIn98
06-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Texas has really cracked down on its DWI offenses. I feel sorry for the young man. It looks to me he is going to have to find someone willing to drop him off and come get him or get a bicycle to travel to work.

Bill

lormur
06-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Bill, he has completed his probation, finsishe his community service and now has his real DL back but at no small expense for a kid in school who is supporting himself at 9.50 an hour. He is a good kid and I try really hard to help him with his Problem.

brokenf
07-19-2007, 11:03 AM
prison for dui?

RobinsMan
07-19-2007, 12:18 PM
You got it.

BTW, Robin will just be waiting the three years, or so, until all of the fees go away before she bothers trying for another license. I asked our attorney about getting her a provisional (or whatever) license just to get her back and forth to work should her probation be reinstated but he was not sure at all that he could do that.

Of course, she is likely to just be in prison long enough for all those extra fees to go away anyway. Considering what the police have been willing to do to her in helping her get to the position in which she now finds herself, we are both very afraid of her ever even getting behind the wheel of an automobile again. If she does it will almost certainly be with a guardian interlock as a permanent installation to use in her defense when the next lie comes down. Still, I can't ever trust a cop the "justice" system again and certainly not with Robins freedom to the tune of 25 to life so I can't ever feel good about her driving again. She is right there with me, too. My family has been in Texas for 175 years but we will probably move away once my kids are grown if there is a state that has more honest police (right) or does not use convictions in another state to enhance a sentence.

I know. TMI and off topic. It is depressing that we will likely move from Texas because it would be utterly stupid to stay now.

dawna9375
07-19-2007, 03:36 PM
prison for dui?

YEP....my husband did 15 months on a 3 year sentence for his SECOND alcohol related offense...9.5 years later. There was no precedence and they used him as 'an example'.

S.HDZ
07-20-2007, 01:25 AM
They Are All Right. My Uncle Got A Dui And Now He Is Paying The Price. He Has To Pay At Least 89 Dollars A Month Because He Was Caught Dui And He Still Owes At Least 3,000.00 Dollars. And He Had To Pay Another Fines Which Is 180 Dollars More To Get His Licence Back. And The Judge Has To Give You This Permit That Permits You To Drive To And From Work Only. And By Any Chance The Cops Stops You And You Dont Have Your Dl You Are In Big S**t. Because They Will Take Your Permit And Put You Back In Jail For Breaking Your Contract. I Know This Because My Uncle Comes And Goes To Work Only And Can Not Take My Aunt To The Stores. Thats Why They Call Me To Go And Do There Errons. Hope This Helps. Good Luck.

Kimmek
07-20-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi everyone, this is something we are dealing with now with Amy. Her license was suspended for sriving with no insurance I believe, she had a few tickets for that. During the time she was gone I received one or two letters from the DPS offering to put her on a payment plan but pretty much ignored tham as I knew we could nt pay anything till she got home. Well she comes home and we call DPS to set up the payment plan and get her DL back, and nope, since it has been over 3 yrs and the fine was a 500.00 fine for the next 3 yrs so 1500 total, well since she was gone those 3 yrs, and did not accept the payment plan it all has to be paid in full now, or they have apymnet plan of paying the entire 1500 off in a yr, so the monthly paymnet would be like 187.00 and if you miss one paymnet the rntire amount is immediatly due or you get to start all over.

We decided not to do anything yet, hopefully Amy's will get her disability reinstated and she can pay it off then or she will be getting finacial aid for school, as she in enrolled and ready to begin college August 20th. WE have been busy busy since shehas been home and she has made some awesome decisions and continues to thrive and amaze me. She just doesnt get to drive. Her 15 yr old sister is going tohave her DL in 2 months so she will be getting rides with her until we get this resolved.

I would call DPS and they can tell you right up front what all is required to get back in the drivers seat. Sometimes its much more that you even know about becasue the state has made it wehre they have to get their share as well, so allkinds of new fines and such went in effect about 2 yrs ago.

Nothing is easy we are finding, but not surprising.

Kim

Kay
07-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi Kim and thanks for the update. I just went through this with Jason also and it is an expensive process to put it mildly. Glad your girl is doing so well!

RobinsMan
07-20-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm depressed again. I thought that after three years that you didn't owe the fine anymore. Figures. I really need a second job.

Kimmek
07-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Sorry, I hate being the bearer of bad news. If its the state fines they never go away, they have to be paid before you can get a DL. If Robin has received a letter about this and offering her a payment plan, its a form letter and I think the exact monthly amount is like 54 something. They told Amy that being inprison was not an excuse to not have paid it. Like they make so much money and all in prison. We called back 2 more times thinking that person didnt know what she was talking about, but everytime we called we got the same story. Now, as far as the actual tickets with the city or county if thats where they are, I am only familar with the city but getting the time served on those and all that money owed was easy. If there is any possible way to start paying ontis for Robin it will be easier and she will not have to deal with when she gets out, but if its over 3 yrs then its all due at once.

I can promise you that I as well am high-tailing it out of Texas as soon as my youngest is out of High School which is 3 more years, and I start nursing school August 20, and should be ready to find a nice job somehwere in a decent part ofthis country, not sure where that is yet, but with a nursing license I figure I can go anywhere. I always joke telling Lindsey that I am going to follow her to college since there will be nothing keeping me here, and now Amy is ready to join in and go.

Kay
07-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Jason's lawyer got his last DWI reduced to a misdemeanor with no fines or court costs and his price just became a lot more affordable than I first thought once I take the $3000 fine off of his fee. I guess we made a good deal after all. His others were before the new fines came into play. I'm feeling very blessed right now.

brokenf
08-28-2007, 12:16 AM
that's crazy. I guess it was some sort of enhanced DUI?

smilemakr29
08-28-2007, 10:17 PM
wow, ummm, Maine is a pretty cool place to live. lol. I told my hubby I would never move to Texas (I'm a Mainah thru and thru) and the more I hear, the more I know I'm right. Thankfully, for him, home is wherever the kids and I are. Hope things work out for you all. (Just remember if you come to Maine, we have real winters here...lol)

dawna9375
08-29-2007, 07:19 AM
Even with all of my hubby's legal issues, I will never leave texas. I will probably leave the Houston area after the kids are grown, but I will never leave Texas.

Born and Bred, baby and I ain't leavin.