View Full Version : what you should do if your inmate gets hurt.....

walkonwater
06-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Just this week I received a letter from my inmate that he was standing and working and felt a sharp stab in his knee. His leg immediately started swelling til it was huge. No bites or stings and this is probably from an old army injury jumping out of a plane and the chute didn't open. Reserve chute finally kicked in at about 150 ft above ground and slowed the fall but he got a compound fracture of the leg. Well, back to this weeks letter....and the worry I felt when I read about the immediate swelling and pain. I called the unit infirmary to find out about his condition. I was worried and just couldnt wait for another letter after the weekend to find out if he was ok and walking or if they took him to a hospital somewhere or who knows what else.
The nurse practitioner at the unit was able to allay my fears that it is nothing major, but aside from saying don't worry, there wasn't much he could tell me because I am not listed on a medical release form.
In order to find out about a loved on in prison, the inmate must sign a consent form to let them talk to you about his medical file.

HAVE YOUR INMATE PUT IN AN I-60 FOR A MEDICAL RELEASE FORM AND GIVE THEM THE PERMISSION TO TALK TO YOU IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.!!

Just heads up for those who don't have that covered yet. You never know when you may need to speak to the medical staff about your inmate.
:thumbsup:

redhaired_dolly
06-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Oh, thanks for bringing this up. I was just thinking about what would happen and how I'd know, etc. I am going to tell him right away to make sure I can talk to them. I'd only do it for an emergency, anyway.

Kay
06-23-2007, 10:06 PM
That is excellent advice walk --- thanks for sharing it with us.

Ashagirl
06-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Excellent advice.

jacquebennett
06-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the info I shall pass it on to my loved one and make sure he knows this when he catches chain.

jojacks
06-26-2007, 05:31 AM
This is something everyone NEEDS to do - I ran into this when Dustin was having a problem and they would tell me nothing because he hadn't fill out an I-60 to release medical info to me.

RobinsMan
06-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Robin did this also and is trying to get me a copy to mail to me so I can prove that she did it. I forget where that attempt stands. One medical release is good for six months and then they have to do it again.

txred9876
07-04-2007, 02:49 PM
I had to go through this with my husband. So far since april 25th i have filed two complaints and got "banned" unofficially from talking to anyone in the infirmary but the PA or the doctor.
They finally half way got his meds to him...then I relaxed...and they screwwed it up again...so now we are in our second complaint investigation. He is again getting his enbrel but its like pulling teeth!

BRWNIS
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Thank you very much for the heads up. I didn't know that one, but will pass the information on to my husband.