View Full Version : Need info on Butner...

rahumada772
06-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Just found out that my brother is in butner. Medium 2 I think. I just want to know what it is like in there. He is only 20!!!! It scares me so bad to like of how he may be treated. If anyone could let me know anything about this place. Thanks

devoted2chris
06-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Well first relax, I don't personally know anyone in Medium II but I know people in both Low and Med I. Both facilities seem to be pretty laid back, as long as he stays away from the hustling and such he should be okay. They really watch that stuff there. A good friend of mine is in Med I and has done 9 years there and comes home next month. He is excited, he did his time by keeping to himself and getting as much education as possible. Visits are alright, you can have pictures taken, there are vending machines and microwaves, visits are 5 1/2 hours long and you don't have to schedule in advance, you do however have to be photographed on the first visit, they use the ion scanner and the metal detector at each visit, you will be asked to remove your shoes for them to go through the x ray machine and you have to fill out the form at each visit. You can't take anything in but your keys, some money and your id. Everything else will have to be checked into a locker. Oh and they stamp your hand with that wierd ink that only shows up under a black light. They check going in and coming out for it. The tables are more like stools and the chairs are uncomfortable. There is a play area for kids and in good weather they let you go outside. All in all it is a good place, the only advice I can give your brother is for him to take this opportunity to do the right thing. There are plenty of programs to choose from, he should get a job, and spend his time working out and keeping to himself. Don't let him get caught up in the prison life if he can avoid it. And write to him. Send him magazines and visit as often as possible. These things will make his time go much faster. If you want any more information then let me know and I will try to help.