View Full Version : How to get Social Security Cards while in prison?

spadesboo
06-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Does anybody know if someone can get a replacement social security card while still in prison. Ive heard the prison will help you get one if you are about to be released. I tried to get his card last year. I took the application along with his prison id to the ss office and was gonna have it sent directly to him,but they said they couldnt accept the prison id as a form of id. Anybody had experience with this??

Blueyez94
06-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Does he have a driver's license that isn't expired? This is what I found on the Social Security website:

To get a Social Security number or a replacement card, you must complete an application and prove your U.S. citizenship or immigration status, age and identity. For a replacement card, proof of your U.S. citizenship and age are not required if they are already in our records. Under the new law, only certain documents can be accepted as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include your U.S. birth certificate, a U.S. passport, a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, different rules apply for proving your immigration status, and those rules have not changed.

Also under the new law, only certain documents can be accepted as proof of identity. An acceptable document must show your name, identifying information about you and preferably a recent photograph.

If you are a U.S. citizen, Social Security must see your:

U.S. driver’s license;
State-issued nondriver identity card; or
U.S. passport.
If you do not have these specific documents or cannot get a replacement for them within 10 days, we will ask to see other documents, including:

Employee ID card;
School ID card;
Health insurance card (not a Medicare card);
U.S. military ID card; or
Adoption decree.

south1
06-12-2007, 04:45 PM
I work for a school system. I often complete a letter on school letterhead if they attended our school with their full name, date of birth, SS# and simply put a statement that says according to records at (Name Of School) High School. The Social Security Office and Driver's License Office accepts this with no problem.
South1

babydoll113
06-12-2007, 04:53 PM
My husband's wallet with his social security card was taken by the cops when he was arrested 5 years ago. He had to get a replacement while in prison. When we were trying to get the paperwork together to be married, his counselor was nice enough to send me a copy of it. We're dealing with the Georgia prison system, but its worth a try??? Good Luck!!

nghtwtch
06-12-2007, 05:14 PM
I have found that the counselors are very helpful in getting things done like a social security card, or replacement driver's license.

guvokikam
06-13-2007, 02:36 PM
I have experience with this...for an inmate...I sent him the forms and his counselor helped him verify he is, who he is (he does not have a state ID/license...Birth certificate I helped him get through an online service helped...) the prison will assist the inmate with a replacement Soc. sec.card. I tried to get it done for him, but the Soc Sec dept requires the request come from him. All I did was download/print app..they did the rest...When the card did arrive, he was notified, its in his jacket, but they will not give it to him until he is released..(ID theft reasons)

ChelleM630
05-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Can you explain to me why the need a SS card in prison in the first place? My boyfriend is in and his counselor requested he get a new one, he has one just not with him, so we are not understanding the request. Any ideas? Thanks!

frostwoman1954
05-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Can you explain to me why the need a SS card in prison in the first place? My boyfriend is in and his counselor requested he get a new one, he has one just not with him, so we are not understanding the request. Any ideas? Thanks!

He might need it for a job within the camp.

Michele