View Full Version : Paroling people 30 months before their ERD.

Ryan'sWife
06-10-2007, 02:55 PM
My husband herd from a source (who I will keep unknown) in the prison that he's at that they are going to start paroling certain people 30 months before their ERD because of over crowding. Keep your fingers crossed! :)

JamiesGirl06
06-10-2007, 03:05 PM
I think that it is probably, most likely, assumingly, definitely... A RUMOR!!!!

MomTo5
06-10-2007, 03:45 PM
They can NOT legally do this if the person was sentenced under TIS unless the law changes which it has not as of yet. I really hate that these rumors go around that get people's hopes up. I used to believe it all because I'd latch on to anything that gave me hope.

Jariel
06-10-2007, 04:17 PM
I think the CO's do it just for kicks....LOL

Ryan'sWife
06-10-2007, 04:34 PM
yeah I would say that too if it wasn't for him being told by the person who basiclly runs the prison. If you all think it's a rumor, why tell me that? It's nice to get your hopes up every once in a while....I don't know about you, but it gets me through the years. Everyone seems to be so negative on here. Try being positive once in a while. :)

MomTo5
06-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Ryan's wife,
I don't mean to be negative at all. I simply know when you truly believe something might happen and it doesn't it HURTS! I'd rather just know the truth from the beginning and I know that if the law says they can't let them out before their ERD that it can't happen until the law changes. I'm not trying to be mean. Honest! I know how hard this is, we're all in the same boat here with loved ones who are in prison.

We can certainly all work together to change the laws!

JamiesGirl06
06-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Totally agree MOM! I also didn't mean to sound negative..... just realistic!

MissTara
06-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Probably the rumor mill at its best....

Iuse2bhere
06-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Wow this is a good one; but all sentenced under TIS can't be released early unless Lansing changes TIS only guys that can be released at this point are the ones that were in before Truth In Sentencing that possibly have some good time or the ones that are passed there Early Release Dates. In our situation; try going through 2 flops and see how positive you can be! I am positive that they will send him home one day and that they can't keep him forever! We all want our loved ones to come home but sometimes I think being realistic maybe confused with being negative.

Jariel
06-11-2007, 07:09 AM
I agree, it just causes alot of pain when I get my hopes up and then get them crushed by reality. I'm much happier knowing the truth, I can just do my time without the ups and downs.

FrankysBaby
06-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Well I think that the MDOC does things that they are not supposed to do all the time. They can find ways to justify what they do. I know 2 people right now that were released a few months early. People that did their time under TIS. Now 30 months is a different story.

LisaW
06-11-2007, 12:50 PM
What got me through is...Expect the worst but hope for the Best. Seems negative but on any given day the parole board could wake up on the wrong side of bed and deny lots of people. Or just the opposite and everyone gets a parole that day. Like the other poster I just knew they couldn't keep him forever. And until he was home I had my son who deserved a life. The thought of him coming home was always on my mind(but it didn't control my life) and everyday lived was one closer to him coming home !!!

Iuse2bhere
06-11-2007, 12:53 PM
I have never heard of anyone sentence under TIS being released early. I have heard of non-violent offenders being sent home on tether or to a residential treatment program but that still isn't considered early release because it is still a form of imprisonment.

Jariel
06-11-2007, 02:54 PM
From my research and from talking with the director of the program, they can't even get tether before their erd.

soontobewife
06-11-2007, 07:51 PM
I was told exactly the same information that Jariel got by the director of the program herself. No tethering before E.R.D.

luckypenny2007
06-11-2007, 09:02 PM
I do believe it is probably a rumor at best. I always expect the worst, hope for the best and take what comes. I will tell you though that while doing some recent research I found a case where a man was in for two consec. LIFE terms for the unthinkable and he was released in 20 years. I did not think that would EVER happen. People I talk to say well he is probably really old now and not a threat, but he was 25, now he is only 45!! That is not old!!! But it was 20 years ago and the laws now are probably WAY different. My hopes is that my man gets out soon after his ERD. Thanks for the info though! Keep up the hope! I know I will.

Iuse2bhere
06-11-2007, 10:28 PM
From my research and from talking with the director of the program, they can't even get tether before their erd.

I assume you are speaking of the tether program? I know of individuals that have FOR SURE been sent home on tether before their ERD and then released on parole once they reach their ERD. You have to remember that the tether program is still a form of imprisonment so it still counted toward completing ERD; being on tether isn't as simple as it may seem and I think alot of people think of it more along the terms of the individual being physically home. With MDOC you will hear a variety of responses and you just basically have to pick and choose what to believe. Only non-violent offenders can be sent home on tether from research I've gathered in the past. I believe at some point there were a variety of threads on here about it and individuals that have indicated that their loved ones indeed came home on tether before ERD.

Zevan
06-11-2007, 11:05 PM
I am SOO SICK of these rumors!:angry: Until I see a Bill Passed in the State Legislature, or in writting from the Gov. Desk is is 100% a RUMOR. I am so bitter at the MDOC officers that start these rumors because my wife in the valley always hears them and everytime, everytime I have to see that Sad and hopeless look on her face It Breaks my heart in the worst possible way. Though this is the harsh reality to which we have been accustomed. Logic tells me that IF this where anywhere Near true, TV Stations and News papers would be ALL over it, for the simple fact that TIS is the Biggest thing when It comes to the MDOC in this state. AS it took to get it a LAW, it will also take a LAW (And a Maricle) to REMOVE TIS. Bill names and FACTS are all I care about, Everything is a Lie, and a SICK joke played on us by people in the MDOC. They Screw with our minds. That is all it is. I belive they get some SICK pleasure out of it.

Awaiting the day God brings my love back to me....

Zevan

Jariel
06-12-2007, 07:23 AM
Yes, and according to Destiny Shipman, the program director, they cannot get tether before their ERD. Now, if they were sentenced prior to the "truth in sentencing" law, then yes, they can. But if they were sentenced after that, they cannot. Because the truth in sentencing law requries them to be in a secure facility till their ERD. Secure facility being defined as a prison with guards 24 hours a day and fencing. I assume you are speaking of the tether program? I know of individuals that have FOR SURE been sent home on tether before their ERD and then released on parole once they reach their ERD. You have to remember that the tether program is still a form of imprisonment so it still counted toward completing ERD; being on tether isn't as simple as it may seem and I think alot of people think of it more along the terms of the individual being physically home. With MDOC you will hear a variety of responses and you just basically have to pick and choose what to believe. Only non-violent offenders can be sent home on tether from research I've gathered in the past. I believe at some point there were a variety of threads on here about it and individuals that have indicated that their loved ones indeed came home on tether before ERD.

Iuse2bhere
06-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Yes, and according to Destiny Shipman, the program director, they cannot get tether before their ERD. Now, if they were sentenced prior to the "truth in sentencing" law, then yes, they can. But if they were sentenced after that, they cannot. Because the truth in sentencing law requries them to be in a secure facility till their ERD. Secure facility being defined as a prison with guards 24 hours a day and fencing.

I don't know if they were sentenced before TIS or not but I know that it's been done and continues to be done; I've never questioned whether or not it was before TIS because my loved one was sentenced to serve flat time. Out of curiousity I will ask my husband because he recently went before the board and one of the guys that went up with him was sent home on tether and I don't believe this individual was in on parole violation.

G'sMom
04-08-2008, 07:04 PM
[quote=MomTo5;2808343]Ryan's wife,
I don't mean to be negative at all. I simply know when you truly believe something might happen and it doesn't it HURTS! I'd rather just know the truth from the beginning and I know that if the law says they can't let them out before their ERD that it can't happen until the law changes. I'm not trying to be mean. Honest! I know how hard this is, we're all in the same boat here with loved ones who are in prison.

Thanks for your honesty...that's something we never got from our lawyer. He always got our hopes up and then my son was led away crushed and crying...

FrankysBaby
04-27-2008, 07:54 PM
I agree. Our lawyers also didnt say a damn thing about TIS and led him to believe he wouldnt do all of his time. But on the other hand, in "Iuse2behere"s defense, I know that they DO NOT always follow these rules to a tee. I personally KNOW people that have come out a bit earlier than expected. UNDER TIS. They were called by the parole board early and released about 6 months early. Frank knows of TWO people that were shipped off to boot camp THIS YEAR that did not qualify according to how much time they had. I dont know how or why this happens, nothing to get your hopes up about, but it DOES happen.

anothersurvivor
05-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Whoever runs the prison and is putting out that information has a pretty sad sense of humor. Anyone sentenced under TIS has to do their minumum day for day. No early release. Any early release for ANYONE would have to be approved by the governor. That's not likely to happen. TIS is LAW and efforts to get rid of it the past couple of years have failed.

Rian's Mom
05-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Greetings All!

I want to thank you all for your honesty and straight forward talk/information. I would much rather have solid, factual information, even if it is disappointing, than to get misinformation which is a waste of time and energy. Thanks for all you do!

Lions Heart
05-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Giving factual information, even the stuff that hurts is our way of supporting people. When dealing with the legal system there is so much runaround that it is a shame. People need truthful answers so that they can deal with the situations in front of them. You will usually find that here. Good Luck!

Iuse2bhere
05-28-2008, 11:48 PM
There are alot of things that MDOC does that will never make sense...Even the things that we know are a reality!

vanillia cookie
07-06-2008, 07:10 AM
okay tell me what happens if his erd is wrong because he went back for a parole violation.

LisaW
07-06-2008, 03:34 PM
i believe his ERD on otis will stay the same and only change on paperwork with parole violation time added on. only thing that would change is his discharge from parole date

wills12
07-08-2008, 03:14 PM
As an ex inamte I want to make something very clear for all you loved ones who have someone inside.....

Your husbands "Source" is most likely a RUM or ARUS or CO, and I can tell by first hand experience that these animals (yes animals) take pure enjoyment out of telling inmates these things.

When I was in and was a front end porter the CO's had a dry erase board in there officer break room where they took bets on how soon certain rumors would get back to staff.... They take pride and enjoyment out of doing these things.

The law is simple and clear, under TIS you CANNOT under NO circumstance he paroled or released until your Minimum.... Unless it is CRP which means you are still an inmate doing your time at home, or under SPECIFIC circumstances Boot Camp.

It is a rumor that is all..... a cruel joke by some staff member.

tballa
07-08-2008, 04:35 PM
As an ex inamte I want to make something very clear for all you loved ones who have someone inside.....

Your husbands "Source" is most likely a RUM or ARUS or CO, and I can tell by first hand experience that these animals (yes animals) take pure enjoyment out of telling inmates these things.

When I was in and was a front end porter the CO's had a dry erase board in there officer break room where they took bets on how soon certain rumors would get back to staff.... They take pride and enjoyment out of doing these things.

The law is simple and clear, under TIS you CANNOT under NO circumstance he paroled or released until your Minimum.... Unless it is CRP which means you are still an inmate doing your time at home, or under SPECIFIC circumstances Boot Camp.

It is a rumor that is all..... a cruel joke by some staff member.

When I spoke to Lisa Gettys, CRP (tether), she stated inmates could be tethered after they have served four months of their continuance (flop). She said if that falls before their ERD then that is how they can get out before their ERD. The four months goes from the date of the parole board decision on the flop. The inmate must not have any assaultive behavior and there is a list of offenses where they will not qualify for tether.