View Full Version : Self Tanners

Christy
06-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Anyone got any good advice on the best way to go about doing this? I am a world renowned expert at messing it up and taking it off (accident of course).

I have the lotion, but hate the smell. And I don't always remember to put it on and when I do, I hate having to wait for it to dry so it wont stain the clothes. With regular lotion, the scent just transfers and I don't care about that!

So, any good advice on applying it?

I've tried it all and screwed it all up! I'm looking a little goth lately with the long hair and wearing it straight..although it isn't black! More blondish with some gray highlights...speaking of which...I need to ask about that too, but one beauty question at a time! Otherwise, I might get confused and tan my hair and get rid of gray skin!

stormchaser977
06-10-2007, 02:45 PM
the tanning lotions work great for me on some parts of my body!!!lol....i can not seem to apply it right.....i think its just me but i am known for missing spots....i can't seem to remember exactly where i put it.....i try but it doesn't work to well....

Christy
06-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I usually get it too much on my ankles, knees and elbows! Then I realized that St. Ives Apricot scrub took it right off...and left me looking like I had spots! I just can't seem to get it right! And I refuse to bake in the sun...I'm petrified of skin cancer. So, I keep trying. Oh, and on the toes too! Eek!

MountainMom
06-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I just found some GREAT stuff. I got O of Olay Touch of Sun lotion with some tanners in it. (I'm sure there are tons of other companies that do this now too). It doesn't streak, smell or leave my clothes orange. I can put it on my face, I am careful around knees but it's fine. I don't get too dark, just enough to look really natural. I LOVE IT! Good luck.

sag
06-10-2007, 05:26 PM
I have been using the neutrogena spary on --- in a yellow can.
It is about 8 or 9 dollars a can -- but a can is enough for two applications.
And it dries in about 5 minutes -- and doesnt get on clothes, etc....
Just follow directions-- easy easy easy -- never touches hands and is on in a minute!
And you just hold can further away around ankles, to avoid overspray.
I would never go back to lotions.
fyi - I USE THE DARK - for me the medium isn't dark enough, and I AM LIGHT COMPLECTED.

acceptin it
06-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Neutragena (sp?) has a foam that works great. If the lotions seem to go on unevenly, try the foam, it spreads smooth. I don't use it anymore, though. I did that when I was pregnant. I love tanning beds! And I love to lay out, if ever possible. Tanning beds are my best option because it only takes about half an hour of my day. Check out tanning salons. Most have a "30 days for $30" deal or something like that. If you don't like tanning beds or don't like the heat, try the mystic tanning. It does what you're doing with the lotions, but it goes on more evenly.

mjd
06-11-2007, 03:54 PM
I have tried the mystic tans and I wouldn't recommend them to anybody. While the machine sprayed that horibble smelling stuff I couldn't breath. It also spays your face and gets up your nose.

If you have the time try spending a little bit of your lunch hour outside and you will get a tan in no time at all.

I use the deep tanning beds. The one's with the deep tanners you will only have to visit once a month after you get your tan in about 2 to 3 visits.

Christy
06-11-2007, 06:22 PM
I've tried the foam and it freaked me out at first! I was copper until it dried! I was only brave enough to use it on my stomach to just try it, but the tan did last a few days. I just wasn't really impressed with the foamy stuff.

I won't do tanning beds either. They are a breeding ground for Staph infection and, well..been there done that and don't want another infection! That was bad enough once around.

So, self tanners it is. I just have to figure it out. I know practice makes perfect! I used my lotion today and sprayed the hell out of myself with body spray! I just hate feeling sticky for so long after applying!

Oh well...I'll figure it out! Thanks for the ideas.

mjd
06-14-2007, 01:53 PM
I just found this article which my help you

Take the Drama Out of Sunless Tanning

Posted by Leslie Baumann, M.D. (http://health.yahoo.com/experts/skintype/bio;_ylt=AieJnSBokzYHq.mbmfLL6tzd1IZ4)
on Fri, Jun 08, 2007, 2:33 am PDT

Post a Comment (http://health.yahoo.com/experts/skintype/2918/take-the-drama-out-of-sunless-tanning#comments)
View all 49 Comments » (http://health.yahoo.com/experts/skintype/2918/take-the-drama-out-of-sunless-tanning/comments;_ylt=AhYsyHFBPkocWe1QAG7ktjvd1IZ4)
I've made my feelings about suntanning (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AoXz3_zofnlYCQ7kPr44z47d1IZ4/SIG=128i95kps/**http%3a//health.yahoo.com/experts/skintype/2096/sunscreen-mythsbusted) pretty clear - but I also understand that it can seem less than ideal to throw on beach outfits when you've been hidden indoors for nine months!
Luckily, modern technology has come to our rescue in the form of hundreds of sunless tanning products. Observe a few key steps, and you'll end up with the golden glow of your dreams (and not the streaky mess of your nightmares):

The active ingredient in self-tanners, called DHA (dihydroxyacetone), reacts with amino acids in your topmost layer of skin. Consequently, the evenness of your tan depends on the evenness of your skin. Always start with an exfoliating scrub to slough off the dead skin cells that can cause a spotty tan and darker orange-brown patches.
However, be sure to avoid scrubs that include petrolatum or mineral oil, as they are occlusive and can prevent DHA from working properly.
Apply less self-tanner to the knees, elbows, palms, and feet - DHA will cause more darkening in places where your skin is thicker.
Look for self-tanners with antioxidants, which tend to produce a more natural-looking tan than those without them.
Don't use moisturizer for two hours after applying self-tanner, as it can interfere with the pigmentation process.Many of my patients ask me if there's any difference between self-tanning creams and the spray-on tans that are offered at many spas. When it comes to the active ingredient involved, the answer is no - all self-tanning products use DHA.
However, the FDA has cautioned consumers against unwanted exposure to DHA, including inhaling it or being exposed to it through the eyes, mouth, or mucous membranes.
Obviously, you'll need to be more careful about avoiding unwanted ingestion of DHA in a spray-tanning booth than you are while applying a cream at home.
Wishing you great skin!

PTO-29412
06-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Christy - go to a salon and get a spary on tan - they work wonders!

They stink and you have to plug paper in your nose - but it is only for about 15-20 seconds.

You cannot bathe afterwards for 24 hours, but will be nice a golden brown!

I recommend this to you as you claimed you might "fudge" it!

As for your hair color, I would also recommend a visit to your local salon. You can do this yourself as well, but can also fudge it up if you are not carefull, especially with the summer here, swimming pools, etc.

mjd
06-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Jonathan you are so right on the smell and plugging up your nose. Oh, you just gave me a picture that I just didn't want to have!!

Hahahah

Christy
06-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Christy - go to a salon and get a spary on tan - they work wonders!

They stink and you have to plug paper in your nose - but it is only for about 15-20 seconds.

You cannot bathe afterwards for 24 hours, but will be nice a golden brown!

I recommend this to you as you claimed you might "fudge" it!

As for your hair color, I would also recommend a visit to your local salon. You can do this yourself as well, but can also fudge it up if you are not carefull, especially with the summer here, swimming pools, etc.

I don't know about that. I don't know if I want to pay the money for it...but then again, I pay about the same price for the self tanners! I just don't want to look pale one day and all tan the next! And 24 hours without a shower? Hmmm...I don't know about that! How long do they last, anyway?

The gray just keeps coming back no matter what I do! I tried it myself to color and it came back in a matter of days, when I paid way too much money to get it done professionally, it came back in a couple of weeks. I just can't keep it away! Ugh...sometimes it sucks being a woman and trying to look good!

sag
06-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Question about spray on tans from the salon -- how long do they last -- do they fade big time when you shave your legs --do they stay even -- for how long? Longer than doing it at home?

PTO-29412
06-15-2007, 09:32 AM
My spray on tan lasted about 6-7 weeks, and they didn't fade when you shaved etc.

You can ask the company for a toner to use after things like showers, or shaving etc.

It last about the same as doing it at home, but is more even, and healthier for your skin

Christy
06-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Doesn't it make you really dark? I really don't want to go in all pale and come to work the next day like I spend weeks in the tropics. I would feel a little goofy!

PTO-29412
06-15-2007, 12:04 PM
no it is gradual

Christy
06-17-2007, 12:57 PM
I may look into it, but I will probably just keep trying with the self tanners!

amberjoe
12-24-2010, 05:01 AM
Sunless lotions or their smell could be irritating sometime the best thing to do is to first know how do these sunless tanners work see this .. and then decide which one to pick for use because skin is very precious.