View Full Version : Petioning for Sentence Reduction?

staminaK
06-10-2007, 07:25 AM
My ADC inmate friend has written to me about petitioning some Arkansas court for a sentence reduction. Another inmate has shown him some papers filed for other inmates who were able to get sentence reductions with his assistance. The other inmate tells my friend that he can help him also get a sentence reduction. There would be $200 in filing fees and court costs.

Can anyone give me some suggestions about how to check something like this out? First, it seems like pie-in-the-sky. If all an inmate had to do would be to file some papers to get a sentence cut, everyone would be doing it. Second, I had always understood that courts considered inmates to be paupers and therefore waived filing fees and court costs for them.

crisnclay
06-10-2007, 02:24 PM
This sounds fishy to me. I wouldnt pay 200$ for anything. My husband did file a petition for a reduction but the inmate that done his paperwork only charged us for his time, which was like 30$. The filing fee was FREE because he was an inmate. The judge DENIED his petition. Be careful becasue there are inmates in there that would LOVE to take your money for nothing. My husband did 10 years and 6 months and is finally home ( just got home last Friday).

cessnadriver
06-10-2007, 02:36 PM
I responded to the same message over at the Arkansas Parole, Probation & Release (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=945) forum.