View Full Version : Smith County Jail on A&E

servingtime2
05-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Sorry I couldn't provide a link....I haven't reached my 25 posts yet. Anyway, here's some info for those interested.

SMITH COUNTY LOCK-UP

Upcoming Airings:
Thursday, May 24 @ 11pm/10C
Friday, May 25 @ 3am/2C

This special takes viewers inside the jail at Smith County, Tex., to experience life in the hothouse environment of Cellblock 3H. We meet prisoners like Tina H., who is haunted by the sound of the grinding click of the heavy brass locks; Ruth M., a repeat offender who's been in and out of prison since her teens; and Melissa D., an attractive mother of two little girls who wait for her at home, not knowing that mommy's never coming home--she's going to get the death penalty or 40 years. We also meet guards like Wanda Grant, whose son is serving time in this same jail, and George "Pink" Pinkerton, who treats everyone with respect, except the ones who step out of line. They get stepped on--hard.

sroloff
05-24-2007, 10:25 AM
My wife was convicted in Smith County in 2000. The Sheriff in Smith County, JB Smith recently wrote a book about my wife's life and her case. During the making of the book I spent many hours interviewing for the Sheriff and got to know him fairly well. Even though we disagree on my wife's innocence or guilt, we share a mutual respect for one another. I think Sheriff Smith is a decent man. Since my wife spent 11 months in jail in Smith County I am anxious to see the program. My wife was only 17 years old when she went to jail and I am sure it was a shock for her being locked up for the first time. I guess the program will help me be able to relate to her better by understanding what all she has been through.

Mike1963
05-25-2007, 08:42 PM
servingtime2 thanks for the heads up.My loved one spent more than a year in smith county.I will be watching for sure.

Mike1963
05-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Well i stayed awake till 4 am and never seen that program.I hate it when the cable channels advertised programs and then never show it.At that time anyways.

ccsmom
05-27-2007, 04:52 PM
I actually watched this. It came on the channel 127 oxygen channel. It was informing to say the least. Kind of gave me an idea of what they go thru. I never knew toilet paper were used as rollers! I don't want to find out!!!

servingtime2
06-03-2007, 01:07 AM
My wife was convicted in Smith County in 2000. The Sheriff in Smith County, JB Smith recently wrote a book about my wife's life and her case. During the making of the book I spent many hours interviewing for the Sheriff and got to know him fairly well. Even though we disagree on my wife's innocence or guilt, we share a mutual respect for one another. I think Sheriff Smith is a decent man. Since my wife spent 11 months in jail in Smith County I am anxious to see the program. My wife was only 17 years old when she went to jail and I am sure it was a shock for her being locked up for the first time. I guess the program will help me be able to relate to her better by understanding what all she has been through.

I haven't read his book but I know what case you're talking about. I've lived in Tyler all my life and remember when that happened....it was absolutely horrible. As you probably already know that case was on the front page of the paper for weeks. I could be wrong but I never believed your wife was guilty of doing what she was accused of. I believe she made some bad choices and didn't use good judgement when it came to boyfriends...no, I'm not referring to you (lol). It's a shame she had to pay such a high price for bad judgement. I hope she is doing okay...let her know that not everyone in Tyler believes justice was served in her case. BTW, you married a beautiful young lady. I'll keep you both in my prayers and wish you all the luck in the world. She's lucky to have you in her life.

servingtime2
06-03-2007, 01:08 AM
I actually watched this. It came on the channel 127 oxygen channel. It was informing to say the least. Kind of gave me an idea of what they go thru. I never knew toilet paper were used as rollers! I don't want to find out!!!

The toilet paper for rollers really blew me away! I'd NEVER think of something like that.

Kimmek
06-05-2007, 05:15 AM
I too live in Tyler although I am trying to plac who your wife might be. As well as the book you are referring. I would love to read anything by or about JB Smith. Also I am going to go search Oxygens website for this show, does anyone have any firther info regarding this? Most of these cable channels repeat the same shows over and over.

Mike1963
06-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Smith County Justice was a very interesting book!!I live here in Tyler as well.

retired-37
06-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Smith County and the Sheriff's name is JB Smith? Hmmm.....................andrew

servingtime2
06-10-2007, 01:14 AM
I too live in Tyler although I am trying to plac who your wife might be. As well as the book you are referring. I would love to read anything by or about JB Smith. Also I am going to go search Oxygens website for this show, does anyone have any firther info regarding this? Most of these cable channels repeat the same shows over and over.

J.B.'s book is called "The Christmas Day Murders"... it's about a 17 year old girl who was accused of murdering her parents on Christmas day. I did a quick check for you to see if I could find anything about a repeat of "Smith County Lock-Up" but came up with nothing.

I noticed someone mentioned the book "Smith County Justice" and if you can find it that's a book you should read. There was a movie that came out quite a few years ago that was "loosely" and I emphasis the word LOOSELY based on that book. The movie was called "Rush" and I'm sure you can find it at any movie rental location. "Rush" was based on a novel written by Kim Wozencraft. I don't have anything good to say about Kim so I'll just say that she was one of two corrupt, drug using undercover cops that came to Tyler and ruined many lives before being arrested and sent to prison. Sorry, I just have NOTHING good to say about a corrupt cop whose lies sent many people to prison....and then make a million + for being a corrupt cop!

servingtime2
06-10-2007, 03:16 AM
Smith County Justice was a very interesting book!!I live here in Tyler as well.

LOL...I think I would have to describe "Smith County Justice" as being UNBELIEVABLE. Back in 1979 I was 21 yrs old. Back then Tyler was much smaller than it is now and everyone knew everyone. The book talks about the pasture parties, the clubs (Smith County Electric Co., Point 21 and Another Place) and like every other 21 yr old I was in one of those clubs every weekend and every Wed night and I missed very few pasture parties. I knew almost all the people arrested because of Kim and Craig and the lies they told. I knew Ken Bora, I can tell you he was NOT anything like what they made him out to be. No, he was not an angel, not even close but he was certainly not the person LE said he was. He owned Point 21 and Another Place and there were some powerful people upset about clubs coming to Tyler. Ken Bora was CORRUPTING their little angels and they wanted him out of Tyler. The night that all hell broke loose I was at Smith County Elec CO. It was a regular night, everyone just dancing and having a good time then all of a sudden all the lights come on, the music just stops and there were police officers all over the place. They had everyone line up single file at the door, told us to get our IDs out and to be quiet. Kim and Craig came in surrounded by even more police officers and went down the line looking at each ID. I remember them looking at our IDs and simply saying "yes" or "no". If they said "no" you were instructed to leave the club immediately. They came to me and my best friend and said "no" and we just walked across the parking lot into a IHOP type diner, sat down in a booth watched. There was a bus in the parking lot and people were handcuffed and taken to that bus. About 25-30 people were on that bus by the time they finished. We later learned that at least 100 people were arrested that night at different locations. They hit all 3 clubs as well as some houses. At least 100 people were locked up that night.

Kimmek
06-15-2007, 05:36 AM
I have read Smith County Justice and am currently trying to locate a copy to read again, They are very very rare and when you do find a copy they want 300 dollars for it. I think my uncle has 2 copies but I can never remember to ask to borrow it when I am there. My cousin was remotly involved in all that, enough to get arrested but not enough to get his name in the book. WHen I lived in DEnton (when all this was happening in Smith COunty, my cousin had come to live with me to get away), but I was all of 25 yrs old and didnt understand too much bac then. The movie Rush didnt do the book justice I my opinion. I still have troble understanding whythis man is still sheriff, but this is a very clickish town with lots and lots of old oil money ruling it.

If anyone can get their hands on this book it is well worth reading.

Kim

PS DEbi: You seem to be close to my cousin ages, I think he was about 20 when this all came down, and he grew up here and is still here. Graduate REL in 78 i tihnk.

Phil'sDelilah
07-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Seems like stuff in this town never changes. ESPECIALLY the sheriff. That man is as crooked as they come. I don't like what he stands for nor do I believe that he is anywhere near Fair or Just or in "his town" is Justice being served. The "good ol' boy" system is alive and well here. Give up names or give them information on what you may or may not know. You MIGHT not go to jail.
Why is it in this town are some of the judges that sit on the bench now, former DA's that have been brought up on charges for mishandling evidence in some old cases??????
Do we find that some what fair or unbiased?
I could keep going since I have a loved one in prison not for acts committed by smith county. He got himself in trouble. But they did try to add to his trouble.