View Full Version : Birth control Pills

flygirlaa2
09-23-2003, 02:27 PM
I have heard that they now have birth control pills that allow you to only have your period 4 or so times a year. Anyone here on them? Know anyone who is? If you are or know someone who is, can you tell me more about them. thanks.

chic-rock
09-23-2003, 03:54 PM
I don't know anything about pills but they do have a shot that you get every 90 days and most people don't have periods when they get it. I did this for 6 years and didn't have a period for that long and it was great.

louise1120
09-23-2003, 03:56 PM
I use the patch and I love it!

flygirlaa2
09-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the info ladies. I really like the idea of these pills. Not only does it give you less frequent periods, but it will also give you some control over when you do have your periods. From what little I know of them, you take the pill for three months and the placebo pill for 5 days which gives you the option of when to scheduel your period.

Dougsgirl
09-23-2003, 04:07 PM
i also use the patch and i love it!! i was on the depo shot and i became pregnant so that is how i have my son. oooops. but i am glad that he is here now!
mande

Sewergrrl
09-23-2003, 04:31 PM
I have a small horror story to share about Depo-provera, the 3-month (4x yearly) shot.

I was on this drug for almost 3 years and didn't have a period AT ALL. Glory! Glory! Glory! I admit it was wonderful to be without my monthly monster. However, toward the end of my love affair with depo, I began to have massive mood swings, hot flashes, night sweats, unexplained weight gain (30 lbs in 2 months), headaches, nausea, alternating diarrhea/constipation, and extreme fatigue.

Why was I experiencing menopause symptoms at 28? Because the dopo shot is progesterone only and it depleted my estrogen to a dangerously low level.

I have been off depo-provera for over 2 years and it took almost a year for my estrogen level to return to normal. My periods became cyclic and predictable only because I started using the birth contriol pill, Yasmin. But I'm still struggling with the last 15 lbs from the weight gain.

I do NOT recommend taking the shot, nor do I recommend anything that ceases your monthly cycle. There's something completely unnatural about manipulating your body in such a way that your hormonal balance may become jilted.

If anyone is considering using depo-provera, I invite you to read the stories on this website before you make your decision.
http://www.abcinternetmarketing.com/depo-provera/

Michelle

flygirlaa2
09-23-2003, 04:34 PM
I understand where you are coming from, but I already take massive doses of prednisone daily, which already has my hormons out of whack. I know of many cases where medically a ladies period are stopped with only a few side effects.

I saw my rheumatologist today and spoke briefly about it with him. He wasnt familiar with these particular pills but due to my present condition, saw no harm and thought it could be beneficial

DENIMBLUE
09-23-2003, 04:48 PM
The birth control pill is called Seasonal, and you have a period each season kinda, every 3 months. It is not for everybody from what I have heard/read. I take birth control pills now every day, I never go off of them, I never have a period except once or twice a year, when I decide. I have severe migraines during my periods, so I just don't have periods anymore, under doctor's care, works for me...

Sewergrrl
09-23-2003, 04:49 PM
I suppose in your situation that it really couldn't hurt more than prednisone already does. :( Good luck on whatever decision you make.

Michelle

flygirlaa2
09-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks Denim, I also have the migrains. Have you noticed any side effects?

ToughTimes
09-23-2003, 08:10 PM
I also am on the regular BCP, and I just take the active ones throughout the months, so I don't get my period until I decide that I want to have one. The only bad thing is that if you are sexually active and get prego by accident, you really don't know about it till you opt to get your period, start gettin' fat, or have symptoms. I like it! :)

a.lil.love
09-24-2003, 11:23 PM
My friend was talking about the Seasonale pills. I thought it sounded good. My last method of birth control was Depo-Provers. You get a shot every 3 months. My last shot was in January of 2002..1 year and 9 months ago. I still haven't got my period back and for the year and 7 months before my man went to jail we were trying to get pregnant but no luck. I think Depo permanently screwed me up and I only got 3 shots. I took Clomid to induce my period so that I would ovulate but that didn't work, then they but me on Yasmine birth control pills and I got my period once but that was about 7 months ago. Now I am going to do all I can to get my period back befor my boyfriend gets out in July 2004 so I can get pregnant>
So my advice go with the Seasonal or regular pills. No Depo.

asia619
09-25-2003, 11:50 AM
I took depro once and gained about 50 lbs so never againe will I do that! I still have all that weight gained and am struggling now. I took the pills after that constantly for about a year and only got my period when the active pills ran out for the month. I have now been off the pills for about 5 months and still not gotten my period yet. So I don't know about any method anymore. I'm afraid I won't be able to have more kids now!! Anyways, just wanted to share my experience. :D

MizzCandy
09-29-2003, 10:24 AM
Janet you will be fine, I have irregular periods myself and I stopped taking the pill in march and havent had a period since. When you come off the pill it kinda throws your body out of wack, you will be cool but just be ready for that bad boy to come ( your Period ) cause when it does its deadly! LOL

toi_ama
09-29-2003, 11:01 AM
My neice took the depo provera where they put the little implants in your arm and she had nothing but trouble with it even after she had the implants removed. (That was depo, wasn't it? I know they also give the shots.) Now she can't have kids-------it's been years and she's tried and tried and just can't get pregnant. Hyperfertility (we get pregnant if we breathe wrong during sex) runs in our family. She's the only female in either side of her family who hasn't been able to get pregnant, so it does seem strange.

asia619
09-29-2003, 12:31 PM
Toi, I believe the method of birth control you are talking about is called "Norplant" which is a 5 year birth control plan. I've asked Planned Parenthood about that and they've stopped administering that one for some reason. They told me that after you have the implants removed it takes some time for you to be able to have children again.

Austinsgirl, Thanks. I know it must be normal but at the same time I'm paranoid. :D

toi_ama
09-29-2003, 12:35 PM
Yes, that was it! Norplant. And I'm not surprised they took that one off their list. It caused both my neice and my neice-in-law a lot of problems.

MizzCandy
09-29-2003, 12:48 PM
Norplant I will remember never to to get that! No problem Janet, I am always here to help :).