View Full Version : Ideas for a Diet

BillnDenise
07-14-2002, 11:53 AM
Since Billy has been locked up, I have gained weight. I'm a stress eater and I'm always worried and stressed about Billy. I can't even wear the clothes that I use to when he was home. I've gained 25 pounds since then.

HELP!! :o If anyone has any dieting ideas, I'd love to hear them. Any stress relievers will be great too. I want to be fit and energetic when Billy comes home because he will be ready to make up for lost time. :D

jdswifey02
07-14-2002, 01:42 PM
Denise....
Of course there are thousands of "fad" diets and suggestions for "quick fixes"... but in my experience, the best way to lose weight and keep it off and to manage stress comes down to good ol' BALANCE.... exercise is important for BOTH weight management AND stress management... I know what you mean about being a stress eater... :) I have actually lost weight since being in this situation.... but I have found that one of the things that is different is that I reach out to others more when I am stressed... I spend A LOT more time on the phone than with Ben and Jerry... :) (of course that can be a cyclical phenomenon, because my phone bill results in more stress....) If you think weight gain is related to stress though, your best bet may be to start there... and the best stress management is just to make sure you have time set aside for doing whatever it is you like to do for you.... from yoga to bubblebaths to manicures to a hobby to reading a good book.... That's my 2 cents... take it for what it's worth.... :)

aprilcat
07-14-2002, 02:15 PM
Denise: I don't recommend a traditional "diet" ~ they are impossible to stand by and you only get more frustrated! I bounce back and forth, but here's the old standby that always works for me:

1. Change what you purchase!!! I just DON'T buy chips and ice cream, because I know I will eat them.

2. Since chips and that are so easy to eat ~ nothing to prepare ~ I buy "good for you" snacks that are also easy to prepare. I buy a lot of those little tiny carrots...keep them in a tupperware container in the frig in a bit of water. They are great to munch on! If I feel the need for some "spice", I keep a bottle of fat free ranch and fat free italian dressings on hand and just dip them! I also buy a lot of those little cherry tomatoes. Another thing that works are flavored rice cakes....they have everything from apple-cinnamon to nacho cheese! For dinners, I buy a lot of Lean Cuisine....also, instant white rice, which I mix with veggies I love. Canned fruit is a good idea, too...if your sweet tooth calls, feed it some pineapple chunks!

3. Exercise! I know ~ it's a pain in the butt. I hate "traditional" exercising, so I made up my own. I bought some hand weights (2 1/2 and 5 lb) and as I sit in front of the tube, I lift them. Use the stairs instead of elevators. If you have letters to mail off to Billy, walk to the nearest post box....it's easier to get up and move if you have a purpose.

If you'd like, PM me and maybe we can be "partners" in losing some weight! I'm trying hard myself right now!

*hugs*

Daveswife
07-14-2002, 03:39 PM
I'm right there with ya!!! I think it's the lack of sex! LOL. But seriously, the depression makes it so hard, I'm so worn out physically and mentally, that it's next to impossible to get my big butt off the couch and even think about doing something good for myself.

bella
07-14-2002, 04:21 PM
I agree that sexercise helps me keep weight of but with none of that I've gained some weight too,lol.

Molly
07-14-2002, 05:19 PM
I can relate to this! However, I gained weight before he left--we were trying to make each day a celebration--we succeeded. Since he's been gone, I decided to use the time to get back in shape--it's my way of excersing control. I am determined to make a positive out of this situation--getting back into my favorite jeans would go a long way!

What I am doing is following a diet plan that I did several years ago--with much success. I get up daily at 5:00 am--eat breakfast and walk for an hour--about 3 1/2 miles. I gave up sweets --except fruit--for the duration (this is huge for me). By doing this, I will benefit as will he. In addition, he is exercising as well--so we are both doing it together. We both want to have a long and healthy life together.

Molly

BillnDenise
07-14-2002, 05:25 PM
Yeah, when Billy was home, we had fun and did things together. I hardly had a chance to eat anything. Now that he's locked up and I'm home alone, the fridge is my friend.
:(

~cheenna~
07-14-2002, 05:45 PM
My age and disabilities put me in a different catagory than most of you but I can tell you I am definately a "stress" eater and then some! LOL
If I don't keep my weight down I am miserable, in many more ways than one. For me, my God send has been a program on PBS called Body Electric, you can check the national schedule on line, www.bodyelectric.com This is an easy(best part) lite wieght bearing exercise program. Start to finish about 26 min. that's including warm up and cool down. For diet, being alone, I have become almost a vegan, now don't get me wrong, I love my charred rare 2" porterhouse with the best of em and don't forget the baked tater swiming in butter and sour cream! What I don't like is the cooking for ONE! So I fix lots of vegies w/butter in the microwave and eat lots of fruit, all day long. Just bought a case of cherries a couple days ago when they were $1.49 a lb. The rice cakes are good, especially caramel with like 0 fat and cal. unless you eat the whole bag at one time while on puter! Also, this time of year I eat/drink a lot of my version of a fruit smoothie. Lots of fresh fruit, some of it frozen, grapes, cherries, sliced bananas (when bananas get a little over ripe I hate them but have found if chopped and frozen, put in blender, taste just fine) I freeze skim milk in ice cube tray and add cubes to my concoctions, this thickens like a malt. I use oj as a starter to get it all mixed. I also add powdered slimfast, not for diet properties but for the vit.s and minerals and since I have osteo I also add a few calcium tabs with first few ingredients. Anything works in all combinations. I get whatever is on sale, lots of it and freeze in chucks what I can't eat before spoiling. I'm on a kick now of cantalope and fresh mint leaves (w/ oj, milk cubes and slimfast) Oh yeah, also add wheat germ, about 3 tbls. I recently started freezing the juice from watermellon in cube trays. When I buy one I go ahead and take from rind putting in lg container in frig then eat at will, the juice left in bottom(lots of it) I freeze. I bought a bunch of those mugs w/water sealed in them that you freeze and this is what I put my goodies in. A full blender will fill 4 of them, drinking one put others in freezer to eat on as day goes by. How I judge my ingredients is when blender is full. You can't go wrong, just add whatever you like, an orange, apple, bananas, mangos, raisens, grapes(great frozen) strawberries, blueberries, blk berries ( I just picked and froze about 4 gal, will eat these all winter, blueberries too) Nestles Sweet Success diet powder and bananas is pure decadence if you love chocolate!
Didn't mean to get carried away here...LOL as you can see, I like to eat and talk about EAT!! The point is, I have been at this about a year and a half, eating as discribed and "body electric" five days a week. Believe me, I don't deprive myself but am cautious. I weigh about 118/120, got down to 114 but that was too much for me, I'm 5'4 1/2, so just ate the goodies to get back up to where I am now. Medically, I'm a mess but physically, I'm in the best shape of my life(sounds like an oxymoron) and have the "guns" to prove it. Trust me girls, your fellas will be proud. My Son gets a big kick out of pointing out my muscles, not that they NEED pointing out.
Can't say this will work for all but I have fought the battle of the bulge all my life, the last year is the first time in my life that I am always full and still maintain.

sherri13
07-14-2002, 07:35 PM
EXERCISE IS KEY FOR ME-HELPS WITH THE BODY AND THE MIND-I FEEL BETTER ALL THE WAY AROUND, HELPS WITH ENERGY, ETC-IF YOU EXERCISE REGULARLY YU CAN PRETTY MUCH EAT A REGULAR DIET AND STILL LOSE INCHES AND TONE UP

Shortie
07-14-2002, 08:23 PM
I can say the exercise is very important but you need to drink A LOT OF WATER. lay off the soda and juice you will be amazed at the result...

sherri13
07-15-2002, 08:03 AM
YEAH SODA IS A REAL DOWNER-THIS ONE IS HARD FOR ME BECAUSE I LOVE COKE (COCA COLA THAT IS)--BUT IS TRUE YOU WILLL FEEL AMAZINGLY BETTER IF YOU LAY OFF CAFFEINE AND DRINK A LOT OF WATER

~cheenna~
07-15-2002, 04:31 PM
Yes, yes, lots of water. I forgot to mention that in my booklet above.

BillnDenise
07-15-2002, 05:13 PM
LOL I love water. Drink it all the time. I'm just a BIG pasta eater. That's my weakness. I HATE rice cakes. But I can go on a diet without them.

I work 10 hours a day so my exercise is limited to walking around the local school when I can. 5 times around is a mile, so i usually walk 10 laps. That's around 30 minutes for me.

Anyone who wants to diet with me can PM or email me. I would love to have the support.

Hugs, Denise

vnvdvc
07-15-2002, 11:31 PM
Let me just put in alittle plug for my favorite videos, The Firm. I used these after my last baby was born and trust me... they will work that ass OFF! It's so cool to feel all muscular and macho! You can even stick with a reasonable diet and not starve. Since you are building all that muscle, (it's aerobics w/ weights) the muscle burns up calories to stay alive. The best part? Energy!!!! Another bonus? Walking into the store, picking up that pair of jeans in that size you always avoid, and skipping the whole dressing room scene because you already know they will fit. AC- better pm me about getting on track with this again too! I hate those dressing room scenes!!!

aprilcat
07-16-2002, 07:44 AM
vnv....not listening to any advice you have on this subject....you're a tiny little thing and probably eat 24/7!!!! :D "the firm", huh? i guess that means i actually have to get up off my butt and exercise to a video for 30 min?!?! :eek:

CREAMYALMONDZ
07-16-2002, 01:45 PM
I gained wait too and I need all the help I can get.

KelliKoz
07-16-2002, 03:18 PM
Thanks vnv, I wanted to buy those videos! I travel a lot and also have to entertain clients. I have kept off about 20 pounds i lost 1 1/2 years ago, but need to get 10 more off. Denise, we are pals already and I will definitely eat properly with you. I will say the Weight Watchers point system works and they have wonderful recipes at their website.

Exercise is the key, but sometimes when we are tired it is hard. I have found that if I commit to smaller blocks, say 10-15 minutes in the a.m. and the same in the p.m., take the stairs all the time, park at the far end of the parking lot at the store, it all adds up. My fiancee, like Molly's exercises a lot inside so he helps keep me motivated! He encourages me without nagging.

Some treatd are good, and there are some great ideas for that as well on the Weight Watchers site. Cooking Lite has good recipes too, I love to cook. There are these great ice cream sandwiches called Skinny Cows that don't taste low cal!I wish I loved water as well as I do a good wine, but...I cut that out except for once in a while on a Friday or Saturday. Plus it makes me miss the sex even more!!!! LOL...

We'll support each other via e-mail and I will try and get you some of those recipes, but do visit the site, it has some good things.

Kelli

Susanne
07-22-2002, 03:06 PM
Oh man have I gained weight! 70 pounds since I have met Tee! Ugh! I am going to sign up for the LA Express diet this weekend! My mom did the same diet and went from a size 18 to a 7 in less than a year! I don't know a whole lot about it yet, but will let anyone who is interested know if it is a good thing!!

BillnDenise
07-22-2002, 04:23 PM
Let me know how it turns out!!! PM me if you want to chat about it!!