View Full Version : From Cali to Hunt to get married. what will i need?

05-10-2007, 10:30 PM
What the procedure for getting married at hunt? I'll be coming from S. Calif. so I won't be able to go back and forth if I hit red tape. I already got my approval letter for visiting, so would this be considered a special visit because of the distance and the ceremony? I read that we have to meet with the chaplin first. Can this be done over the phone or net? Or maybe just prior to the event? What do I need to bring? Birth certificates? Socials? I've never been married before and doing it 'inside' is bad enough, not to mention having to it in Louisiana. Blech! They've been screwing us from the word go, and if I get there and hit more brick walls, I'll flip out.

So, got any insight to share? I'd like to know what we're in for before I get on the plane. Thanks.

05-11-2007, 05:17 PM
In Louisiana you have to apply for a marriage license at least 72 hours before the wedding.. this 72 hour period can only be waived if you are a state resident or you get married in New Orleans... to get a marriage license you must have for BOTH you and your soon to be hubby - picture IDs, certified birth certificates , social security numbers, parent's full names, mothers' maiden names, states in which you and him were born in. If either you or him have been married before you must show proof of how marriage ended by either a divorce judgement or death certificate.

Meeting with the chaplin depends.. it can probably be done before the ceremony.. but since you would have to be in Louisiana for the 72 hours before the wedding .. you would be able to meet with him in that period of time.

As far as the Louisiana.. Blech statement.. not all of Louisiana is so bad.. it's just dealing with the system that is sour.. but in what state would anyone want to be going thru this. I enjoy living here and wouldn't change it for the world.. we have great people, food, and entertainment. I look forward to having my wedding in Louisiana and wouldn't have it anywhere else... I wish you all the best in your marriage and hope everything works out for ya'll. Maybe while you are here take some time to get to know Louisiana "outside" of the prison system.. you just might be surprised : )

05-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the info. And I'll keep what you said in mind. Thanks again.

05-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Ok, so do I go to city hall when i get there? Or does the request have to be generated from inside the facility?

05-13-2007, 08:02 PM
you have to get the marriage license from the clerk of courts office in any parish in the state.. Hunts I believe is in Iberville Parish therefore you would go to there clerk of courts office, which is located at 58050 Meriam St, Plaquemine, 70764 - you can call and ask them more specifics at (225) 687-5160.. You have to have the marriage approved by the facility before you get the marriage license...