View Full Version : Information needed about SMCI Area 2

Leanne284
05-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Help! My boyfriend was transferred to SMCI yesterday. All I know is that he is in Unit SMCI 2. I dont know what that means, what security level he is classified as, when I can see him or anything. Any information that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. This is his first time in and I am lost.
Thanks

Mrs.Glamma
05-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Leanne, welcome to PTO although I am sorry you sre going through this.

The questions you are asking are ones he needs to answer unfortunately. Try not to stress too much until you hear from him.

Area 2 is where all incoming inmates to SMCI are assigned so that means nothing in itself. There are a lot of threads in this sub-forum which will give you information about the facility, mail and what visits are like etc. Read them as they will help. Knowledge is powerful.

If you want to get his unit number to send mail, call 601-394-5600. Give the officer his name and MDOC number and let them know you need his unit and zone info for mail.

Mail will be addressed:
his name his number
SMCI 2, unit info...., bed number
PO Box 1419
Leakesville, MS 39451

As for visits, he has to send you an application for visits which will have to be approved.
Every unit has it's own visit schedule. If he is A custody it will be any Sat or Sun but only 4 visits a month. If he is B custody, it will be the unit schedule of 1 Sat and 1 Sun a month, for instance the 1st Sun and 3rd Sat. There are no visits anywhere on the 5th Sat or Sun at SMCI. Nothing happens on the 5th weekend days, no church, no Bible study, nothing,
Your car will be searched for visits as it is parked at the facility near the visit building. You will be searched, but it's not bad..don't be nervous. Read the posts.
Mail: They are very strict on the mail policies so read the posts and ask before mailing if you are not sure.
Phones: are serviced by Correctional Billing Services. You may be able to have them bill your phone bill or you can set up pre-pay (better for controlling costs). Your number has to be approved by SMCI and on his list of numbers to call. The list can be updated every 6 months. For A and B custofy, the phones are on from 8am to 10pm every day (they do go out now and then so don't worry if he says he is going to call and doesn't).
Canteen: If you will be sending money for him, the info is listed in posts in the Mail, canteen, package forum. Can't find? Ask, we will help.
We will help and support you all we can. PTO is a great group, and you have great support here in the MS forum.
dam311

PTO-29412
05-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Ok - First of all BREATHE

Good - now. SMCI as you know is South Mississippi Correctional Institution in Leakesville Mississippi. DAM311 might can answer specific questions about SMCI more than I can.

As for his classification I am assuming he is either A or B custody. He should be able to call you within 2 weeks - this will be a collect call and if you are in Mississippi should average about $8.00 for a 15 minute call.

You should be able to start visiting soon - call SMCI (601) 394-5600 and ask for the visitation department. Give them his name and MDOC #. Tell them you know he just got transferred, and would like to know when you will be able to visit him. They may say he needs to fill out a form first - then ask them, what days his visit will be on, also how long before his list will be approved etc.

Once approved, and you will only know by calling and asking every few days, you will be able to visit at the prison from 9am to 2pm (I think that is right) on either Saturday or Sunday depening on his unit.

So that you can write him:

Inmate Name - Inmate Number
South Mississippi Correctional Institution
PO Box1419
Leakesville, MS 39451

Also in case you didn't know already - you can send money to his canteen account so that he can order food, stamps, writing paper, shower supplies, shoes, and extra clothing - to send that info you would send a money order and can find the full outline of information here: http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/Sending%20Money.htm

Hope this info helps -

PTO-29412
05-10-2007, 09:26 AM
LOL - DAM311 and I both posted together! Double the info for you! WELCOME TO PTO, and I hope you will feel welcome here and ask any questions that you may have

Mrs.Glamma
05-10-2007, 09:47 AM
ROTFL!! This is too funny. Thanks Jonathan!
Visit hours are now 8AM to 2PM. They start letting people through the gate at 7:30am. Now the one thing with Area 2 that I forgot is that it is over-crowded, therefore visits at times get crowded. If visits are at a point of overcrowding, those in early may be told they have to leave so others can come in. I heard this is happening but not sure how often. Just have your mind set that it is a possibility so you are not taken by surprise and upset.
Mail is addressed as I told you above.
Check with CBS on the phone as my guy's son is a long distance instate call like you would be
and his calls pre-paid were about $5.50, though yours could very well be different.
I seem to have become the resident expert on SMCI here because my guy has been there for 3 years this week so ask away. We haven't dealt with Area 2 for 2 years but sometimes hear stuff.

wishing you all the best
dam311

Leanne284
05-11-2007, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the information. At least now I know where to start. I am sure I will have alot more questions along the way.
Thanks again,
Leanne

I-Care
05-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Welcome Leanne..I also am sorry that you have reason to be here but I am sure you will find all the help you need. It is very confusing at fist but I assure you if us "nuts" can learn it you can!! SMILE!! My love one is at CMCF but I am interested in what goes on in all facilities. BLESS YOU!!

The prices to send money to canteen can get very expensive. As far as I know ( I sent it this way this month) you can still send a postal money order. That is the cheapest way I have found to do this but it does take a little longer. If you need those directions let us know.

Bless You!! Stay strong and healthy..Take care of yourself because he will need you to do this..