View Full Version : Article: NJ Study Examines Effectiveness of Megan's Law

egs
05-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Philadelphia Inquirer

N.J. study scrutinizes Megan's Law effect

The declining trend of sex attacks against children began several years before the measure started in 1994. Researchers are weighing the expense.

By Sam Wood, Inquirer Staff Writer

New Jersey's pioneering Megan's Law, which costs millions of dollars to alert citizens when sex offenders move nearby, may not make children safer, new research suggests.

A federally funded study under way in Trenton is trying to determine whether Megan's Law is worth the cost of its "enormously expensive" monitoring and enforcement requirements, said Phillip Witt, a consultant on the study.

Click here (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_region/20070506_Study_in_N_J__scrutinizes_Megans_Law.html ) to read the rest of this article.

A'sMom
03-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Any news on the progress of this study (or the one that was issued under a grant to Rutgers)? I believe there was an 18 month timeframe....

kima
03-28-2008, 06:00 PM
I'd like to know when this study is complete. I'm researching this type of thing for a letter campaign and it would be very helpful.

ForMyBoy
03-30-2008, 05:06 PM
The study was signed by the governor on jan 3 with the 3 month after signing to take effect so I think there will be quite a wait before we see any results.
So kima, I think you're in for a wait. But good luck to you. I hope you find the answers you need. FYI, there are other studies out there relating to this issue, that I have seen. Sorry,I don't have the links but explore this site you'll probably find them.

egs
03-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Soros Foundation scholar Laura Mansnerus [former NY Times Reporter and an attorney] is just concluding a year-long examination of the impact of Megan's Laws in NJ [specifically] and nationwide [generally]. She has been hot on the trail of these NJ laws for several years. You can find some of her NY Times articles in their archives. She lives here in Phila. and I have been waiting to see what she will be writing on the topic--I'll post her and see what I can find out.

kima
03-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Thank you, Elaine, much appreciated! (I sent you a PM).