View Full Version : Questions about Misdemeanors

wanttoknow999
05-02-2007, 04:10 PM
I was looking on the internet to find out what are the different types of mistermeaners. Are you able to get rid of mistemeaners or do they ever go away? Do they go from state to state, for example does a mistermeaner in Virginia valid in Maryland. Are mistermeaners standard from state to state accross the United States. What are the different types of mistermeaners in Virginia?

InterestedParty
05-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Here is a link to the Virginia code. You can check out different offenses and see which are misdemeanors.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+TOC1802000

Gryphon
05-02-2007, 06:19 PM
A misdemeanor is a crime that's not punishable by state prison; but is almost always punishable by imposing county jail time, fines, and/or forms of alternative sentencing. Misdemeanors are usually supervised by summary aka informal probation; rather an formal probation and a probation officer. Every state write it's own criminal codes, but most crimes are legislated in all 50 states. Definitions can be a little different, sometimes in important ways; and punishments can be very different from state to state.
Most states have a way to get misdemeanors off your record once probation has been completed.
"Validity" of misdemeanors amongst states depends on how you are asking the question. In general, a misdemeanor in one state is treated as a misdemanor by a different state.
Many crimes that are felonies (punishable by prison) can be filed as misdemeanors. That's what a "wobbler" is; and getting a misdemeanor is "wobbling down". A felony is "wobbling up".

I was looking on the internet to find out what are the different types of mistermeaners. Are you able to get rid of mistemeaners or do they ever go away? Do they go from state to state, for example does a mistermeaner in Virginia valid in Maryland. Are mistermeaners standard from state to state accross the United States. What are the different types of mistermeaners in Virginia?

Daveswife
05-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Come on down to the VA forum. We have a ton of info there for ya.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=171

As far as transferring from state to state. Each state is going to be different. I don't believe that most states would extradite for a misd., but if they get in trouble in other states it will show on their record.

meganlea
05-03-2007, 05:10 AM
Of course it varies in different states, but where I am, some misdemeanors are expungeable. Violent/more serious ones like assault, domestic violence, possibly high level thefts, etc. will not be. Those sorts of things must remain on your record as they're highly violent offenses for misdemeanors.