View Full Version : Son murdered in clements unit by staff - Texas Prison

magicmaryd
05-01-2007, 08:41 AM
ON OCT 21ST AROUND 4:20 AM
My son was serving a 15 yr sentence for a shooting death that occurred in 1995.. when he was 17 . it was ruled crime of passion … he only had a few more years left … they would not parole him and he suffered much .. he was having problems with the guards and 6 years earlier he had left a gang that he joined for protection when he first entered prison and was very young and scared .
I was working graveyard shift @ the Waffle House restaurant I GOT CALL FROM CHAPLIN and was TOLD they FOUND HIM UNCONCSIOUS @ 10 :40 AND ATTEMPS TO REVIVE WERE UNSUCESSFUL .
I was offered a HUNTSVILLE BURIAL . AND in his next breath after breaking this news to me asked if I wanted to claim his body..
I kept asking what happened how did he die..? I insisted. Chaplin told me id have to wait til Monday for more info.. I still insisted.. Chaplin agreed to find out how and
HAD HIM CALL me BACK WITH REASON WHY HE SAID SUICIDE 10:40PM ON 20TH,,
Chaplin did call back and told me suicide was the reason but he did not know how ..
I CALLED BACK few hours later on the morning of oct 21st 2006 a WOMAN ANSWERED AND SAID YES THEY SAID you WOULD Be CALLING
I BEGAN TO ASK QUESTIONS. SHE INSISTED SHE HAD NO INFO I WOULD HAVE TO WAIT .until Monday to speak with wardens office.. I INSISTED SOME ONE THERE IN CHARGE

SHE PUT ME THROUGH TO SUPERVISOR
NOT VERY HELPFUL I PERSISTED WITH QUESTIONS ( he was rude and hateful )
HE SAID HE WAS PUT IN CRISIS UNIT IN 15 MIN WATCH AND STATED THAT HE HUNG HIMSELF WITH BLANKET
I SAID NO CAMERAS ? HE SAID NO Our BUDGET DOESN’T ALLOW for cameras AND MY SON WAS A WARD OF THE STATE.
He spoke very hateful to me and was cold hearted .
I COULD NOT GET MORE INFO TIL Monday from WARDENS OFFICE .and they are NOT THERE WEEKENDS
Monday morning I called wardens office oct 23rd
ASSISTANT WARDEN FIRST SAID YES DEFINATE SUICIDE
HUNG HIMSELF
AND INMATE TOOK a RAZOR . I ASKED HOW did HE GET IT ? AND SCRATCHED ON HIMSELF on the stomach and arm AND WAS MOVED TO CRISES MGT UNDER suicide WATCH . I PERSISTED ..MANY QUESTIONS THEN I SAID SO YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT IN 15 MIN HE KILLED SELF AND COULD NOT BE REVIVED ??.
Then he stated well it could have been an hour or 2 ????? the asst warden seemed flustered
Then I was put on hold he came back after some time and said that I will have to wait to speak with warden himself . unfortunately he stepped out and would not be back for few hours and he would call me back .. I insisted when ?????
Warden called back few hours later on oct 23rd with the nail clipper story .that my son scratched on his arm and stomach in his AG-SEG CELL and a employee seen it and he was moved to crisis mgt cell . where after 3 days he took nail clippers ( again nail clippers in the second cell ?) . cut a strip of his suicide blanket , pushed in the light grid above the toilet and hung himself and could not be revived … all in 15 minutes ?
I also asked about commissary and inmate trust fund … he just bought 57.00 worth of commissary 5 days prior ……toiletries, shampoo, candy ect …..
On the same Monday morning oct 23rd my fiancée Bob Parker was trying to track down where my son was .. they lost him ? they said they did not know where he was ? eventually he found him @ the fort worth coroners office and the autopsy was already completed ..
I feel they stalled us the whole weekend while they smuggled his body off for a rushed autopsy so we could not get a private one (COVER UP !)
When we brought the suit to the funeral home I seen him jfor the first time in 2 years .. I was in shock … he looked like a old man … he was starved down to 138 pounds … he was a big boy 6 feet tall .. first thing a seen was the top of his head bashed in .. then I seen bruising resembling strap marks across both hands ,, bruising on side of head ,ears ect.. after the memorial service my fiancé bob and my sons father went in back room with mortician and they removed his frail body from the coffin and undressed him .. they took over 25 photos and a video … his body was beaten , stabbed , there are 2 sets of strangulation marks on his neck one up high resembling a rope or cord and down further a wider one that looks like the blanket story .. the bend of his arm was duck taped and shrink wrapped .. the mortician removed the bandage which he put there because he was afraid the embalming fluid would leak out .. there was a big round black hole like a stab wound about the size of a quarter … very very deep wound .. my son was going to be cremated for financial reasons … but he layed in the funeral home storage for almost 5 ½ mos the judge would not give permits to cremate him .. so the funeral home gave us a coffin and burial plot ….he was finally buried march 13th .. he is @ the rose lawn cemetery in Seagoville Texas east Dallas area …
On way to funeral home inspector general s office sawyer called said yes he seen him it was a suicide … bob asked what about the hematoma on his head.. He stated well maybe they dropped him taking him down ????????????? he also mentioned about a picture that was sent to him … we informed him we did not send a photo . what did it look like ? inspector sawyer stated it was him lying with a blanket covering him to his neck …

We called FBI but they closed case
We also tried 2 different personal injury attorneys here in the dallas area .. but they could not take the case ..
I did find the wrongful death institute website online ..they are advocates for families of prisoners … they are discussing our issues with attorneys but nothing has came of it yet …
I know my son was murdered
But I do have them on a negligent homicide case

the office of inspector general has been doing investigation . they so far have uncovered that there were 3 officers on duty that night . and 2 of them were responsible for making 15 min security checks on all crises mgt cells . they failed to do so and falsified documents stating they did . and the sergeant was informed he also tried to cover up and failed to notify office of inspector general - inspector knowing there was an ongoing investigation ...

:angry:

HOPE4FUTURE
05-01-2007, 08:50 AM
OMG, this is horrible and it is grounds for a huge lawsuit. I am so sorry for your son and your family. I will pray for you. Keep us updated please.

Christy
05-01-2007, 08:57 AM
I am so horribly sorry for your loss and the way it came about. I don't have any advice for you, but wish you the best. That story had me in tears.

Keep after someone to keep investigating. This just sounds so wrong on so many different levels.

walkonwater
05-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Although our loved ones have committed a crime, they are serving their time and repaying their debt to society. When did our world become so sadistic as to not respect life, no matter who the person is? I hope that you find answers and peace. This is an enormous tragedy to have to live through. I am so sorry for your loss and will say a prayer for you.

magicmaryd
05-01-2007, 09:08 AM
OMG, this is horrible and it is grounds for a huge lawsuit. I am so sorry for your son and your family. I will pray for you. Keep us updated please.

thank you so much ... i cannot think of anything else ...

Mis Tazz
05-01-2007, 09:09 AM
I am so sorry this happened. My prayers are with you and your family. Althought I have no advice Leave it in Gods hands. He knows just what to do and when.

Jillian
05-01-2007, 09:19 AM
My prayers are with you and your family. i hope you can get the answers too all your questions .. (((HUGS))

BundySupporter
05-01-2007, 09:22 AM
My thoughts are with you and your family today. Stay strong.

Blueyez94
05-01-2007, 09:32 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you...

Valentina
05-01-2007, 09:32 AM
This is a nightmare and it makes me so sad to hear about what you are going through. I hope there is some justice for your family soon.

key jo
05-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. My advice would be to research the prison abuse groups and see what they can assist with. I'm sure you have but it is all I can think of in this terrible situation.

sanchezct
05-01-2007, 09:41 AM
I am sorry to hear this. This is really sad. It sounds like your son suffered alot. I hope someone stands up for him and handles this the right way. I hope you get all your answers. Not sure what else to say but you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

chickletone
05-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Your story brought me to tears! You are living my worst nightmare! My heart breaks for you,your family,and your son what a horrid situation to have to go through!! Please stay on them and get the answers you deserve! This is callous unjust disregard for a human being. Please please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you. Letters e-mails, sign petions anything!! This is not right or fair to you and your loved one. My deepest sympathy to you. I'll be sending many thoughts and prayers. Stay strong Magicmary.:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

HOPE4FUTURE
05-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Magic, Did you watch the video of the mentally ill 22 year old murdered in MI last August? You can read about it also in the Michigan forum. They also did not tell his parents what happened and they found out in the newspaper 2 weeks later after the Federal Inspector got digging it up. Maybe you can get some ideas of who to contact from there. Stay on top of them!!!

LeBeau
05-01-2007, 09:50 AM
I am so terribly sorry, I cannot imagine the pain and anger you must feel and I pray you are able to get some real answers.

magicmaryd
05-01-2007, 10:01 AM
My son was serving a 15 yr sentence for a shooting death that occurred in 1995.. when he was 17 . it was ruled crime of passion … he only had a few more years left … they would not parole him and he suffered much .. he was having problems with the guards and 6 years earlier he had left a gang that he joined for protection when he first entered prison and was very young and scared .
I was working graveyard shift @ the Waffle House restaurant I GOT CALL FROM CHAPLIN and was TOLD they FOUND HIM UNCONCSIOUS @ 10 :40 AND ATTEMPS TO REVIVE WERE UNSUCESSFUL .
I was offered a HUNTSVILLE BURIAL . AND in his next breath after breaking this news to me asked if I wanted to claim his body..
I kept asking what happened how did he die..? I insisted. Chaplin told me id have to wait til Monday for more info.. I still insisted.. Chaplin agreed to find out how and
Chaplin did call back and told me suicide was the reason but he did not know how ..
I CALLED BACK few hours later on the morning of oct 21st 2006 a WOMAN ANSWERED AND SAID YES THEY SAID you WOULD Be CALLING
I BEGAN TO ASK QUESTIONS. SHE INSISTED SHE HAD NO INFO I WOULD HAVE TO WAIT .until Monday to speak with wardens office.. I INSISTED SOME ONE THERE IN CHARGE

HE SAID HE WAS PUT IN CRISIS UNIT IN 15 MIN WATCH AND STATED THAT HE HUNG HIMSELF WITH BLANKET
I SAID NO CAMERAS ? HE SAID NO Our BUDGET DOESN’T ALLOW for cameras AND MY SON WAS A WARD OF THE STATE.
I COULD NOT GET MORE INFO TIL Monday from WARDENS OFFICE .and they are NOT THERE WEEKENDS
HUNG HIMSELF
AND INMATE TOOK a RAZOR . I ASKED HOW did HE GET IT ? AND SCRATCHED ON HIMSELF on the stomach and arm AND WAS MOVED TO CRISES MGT UNDER suicide WATCH . I PERSISTED ..MANY QUESTIONS THEN I SAID SO YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT IN 15 MIN HE KILLED SELF AND COULD NOT BE REVIVED ??.
Then he stated well it could have been an hour or 2 ????? the asst warden seemed flustered
Then I was put on hold he came back after some time and said that I will have to wait to speak with warden himself . unfortunately he stepped out and would not be back for few hours and he would call me back .. I insisted when ?????
Warden called back few hours later on oct 23rd with the nail clipper story .that my son scratched on his arm and stomach in his AG-SEG CELL and a employee seen it and he was moved to crisis mgt cell . where after 3 days he took nail clippers ( again nail clippers in the second cell ?) . cut a strip of his suicide blanket , pushed in the light grid above the toilet and hung himself and could not be revived … all in 15 minutes ?
I also asked about commissary and inmate trust fund … he just bought 57.00 worth of commissary 5 days prior ……toiletries, shampoo, candy ect …..
On the same Monday morning oct 23rd my fiancée Bob Parker was trying to track down where my son was .. they lost him ? they said they did not know where he was ? eventually he found him @ the fort worth coroners office and the autopsy was already completed ..
I feel they stalled us the whole weekend while they smuggled his body off for a rushed autopsy so we could not get a private one (COVER UP !)
When we brought the suit to the funeral home I seen him jfor the first time in 2 years .. I was in shock … he looked like a old man … he was starved down to 138 pounds … he was a big boy 6 feet tall .. first thing a seen was the top of his head bashed in .. then I seen bruising resembling strap marks across both hands ,, bruising on side of head ,ears ect.. after the memorial service my fiancé bob and my sons father went in back room with mortician and they removed his frail body from the coffin and undressed him .. they took over 25 photos and a video … his body was beaten , stabbed , there are 2 sets of strangulation marks on his neck one up high resembling a rope or cord and down further a wider one that looks like the blanket story .. the bend of his arm was duck taped and shrink wrapped .. the mortician removed the bandage which he put there because he was afraid the embalming fluid would leak out .. there was a big round black hole like a stab wound about the size of a quarter … very very deep wound .. my son was going to be cremated for financial reasons … but he layed in the funeral home storage for almost 5 ½ mos the judge would not give permits to cremate him .. so the funeral home gave us a coffin and burial plot ….he was finally buried march 13th .. he is @ the rose lawn cemetery in Seagoville Texas east Dallas area …
On way to funeral home inspector general s office sawyer called said yes he seen him it was a suicide … bob asked what about the hematoma on his head.. He stated well maybe they dropped him taking him down ????????????? he also mentioned about a picture that was sent to him … we informed him we did not send a photo . what did it look like ? inspector sawyer stated it was him lying with a blanket covering him to his neck …

We also tried 2 different personal injury attorneys here in the dallas area .. but they could not take the case ..
I did find the wrongful death institute website online ..they are advocates for families of prisoners … they are discussing our issues with attorneys but nothing has came of it yet …

the office of inspector general has been doing investigation . they so far have uncovered that there were 3 officers on duty that night . and 2 of them were responsible for making 15 min security checks on all crises mgt cells . they failed to do so and falsified documents stating they did . and the sergeant was informed he also tried to cover up and failed to notify office of inspector general - inspector knowing there was an ongoing investigation ...

thank you to everyone for your sympathy .. it is very touching and means much to me ... i have been going through a long grief process .. there are so many aspects of it .. i have never had to bury anyone before and never thought it would be a child ...

i am new to chat rooms and postings .. i am a unemployed pc tech and currently am a waitress .. daily i catch myself talking to customers about what happened to my son .. even ones i do not know .. i am searching for some kind of answer .. i feel maybe this is a part of how i am able to handle this grief . all i got back from them was 2 lousy boxes ... which is all i have of him ..many many years worth of letters and photos .. his comb , soap , his little radio , desklamp , tennis shoes .. even a few ragged tshirts that i try to smell .. i am trying to get his scent .. i know this sounds strange ... i have his little plastic bowl with his candy in it sitting on my kitchen counter ... i kiss it ... and rub it ..

AmyLynn
05-01-2007, 10:08 AM
My Prayers go out to you and your family!! I hope that you get to the truth in all of this.

jacquebennett
05-01-2007, 10:09 AM
I am so very sorry for your lost stand strong and fight for the answers you deserve! My prayers are with you and your family.
Jacque

Kiki1313
05-01-2007, 10:11 AM
My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family! I am so sorry for your loss!!!

jojacks
05-01-2007, 10:12 AM
This is absolutely horrible and I am so sorry for your loss1!!

jcbailgirl_2007
05-01-2007, 10:18 AM
I am so very very sorry for your loss, I will be praying for you and your family. God Bless You.

RobinsMan
05-01-2007, 10:42 AM
My prayers are with you and your son.

Adrienne
05-01-2007, 11:11 AM
How sad! Prayers to you. Good luck trying to find closure in this mess.

PTO-29412
05-01-2007, 11:20 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. If you ever need a shoulder, I am here for you.

Luv0fHisLife
05-01-2007, 11:24 AM
May God reveal the truth.... God bless you and your family.

BrandNewGirl
05-01-2007, 11:28 AM
I am SO sorry! Please know you are in my prayers.

Nance

30Flat
05-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Just a few things to add from the other side of the wall...of course I don't expect any of what I have to say will be popular at all. But, there are other sides to all stories.

First, I send my prayers to you and your family. However it comes out, the loss is still irreplaceable.

The mention of the body being transported for an autopsy being a cover up...not the case. Per policy, the body remains under security until H'ville can arrange for a funeral home to pick up the body. The only strange part of that is that (which to me says they weren't trying to cover up) is that now it is customary for all inmates to be transported to H'ville funeral home. As there have been to many issues with other funeral homes...payment and such.

Next, the hematomas....blood settles into certain areas of the body after certain time periods. The head, though horrible....it happens. Trying to support a person when you have to cut them down, is not an easy thing to accomplish. Not trying to be overly harsh here...just honest. If the light socket was used, it is usually above the toilet/sink....it happens. Trust me, unfortunately I have been on the side of trying to save an inmate determined to hang himself.

Time frame...yes, it can happen in 15 minutes...easily. Double ligature marks could just indicate that he had tried it once before. As for cameras, some units do have cameras...but, they only cover the runs.

The scratches attributed to toe nail clippers...more likely a razor blade. Very easily snuck into a cell and hidden for future use. Whatever that may be...many use them for hair cuts, others to injure themselves.

The stab marks...I'm a little iffy on, without seeing them. Although, the one on his arm...it would not be black if it were recent.

The pictures you took...well, honestly should not have been taken without a representative from the Office of the Inspector General's Office or some type of law enforcement.

OIG always performs an investigation into any death. They do not however start an investigation until the death itself.

The only evidence I see so far that might stand up in a court would be the failing to document. If you would like, PM me and I can maybe discuss your chances with you. Something I am not open to doing in open forum.

The only other thing I see worth mentioning was the fact that you hadn't seen him in two years. I am assuming it was due to distance. But, were you aware of his mental state? You said in your opening that he had suffered much. I also would ask what unit he was on? If he was on a Mental status unit, the strap marks on his arms would be attributed to him having to be restrained in at some point...you would have to find out if he had been transported to Skyview for this.

Yet again...I am not trying to discount your story...or minimize it in any way. It is still a tragic loss. I am just trying to present the other side of what could have happened. My prayers are with you in this time of confusion and loss.

Now open for the thrashing I am going to get.

Rachel
05-01-2007, 11:36 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss under such tragic circumstances.
I hope that you get some answers soon.
My prayers for you and your son.
Love
Rachel x

magicmaryd
05-01-2007, 11:50 AM
programmed answers to the same questions asked by many victoms familys:confused:

Just a few things to add from the other side of the wall...of course I don't expect any of what I have to say will be popular at all. But, there are other sides to all stories.

First, I send my prayers to you and your family. However it comes out, the loss is still irreplaceable.

The mention of the body being transported for an autopsy being a cover up...not the case. Per policy, the body remains under security until H'ville can arrange for a funeral home to pick up the body. The only strange part of that is that (which to me says they weren't trying to cover up) is that now it is customary for all inmates to be transported to H'ville funeral home. As there have been to many issues with other funeral homes...payment and such.

Next, the hematomas....blood settles into certain areas of the body after certain time periods. The head, though horrible....it happens. Trying to support a person when you have to cut them down, is not an easy thing to accomplish. Not trying to be overly harsh here...just honest. If the light socket was used, it is usually above the toilet/sink....it happens. Trust me, unfortunately I have been on the side of trying to save an inmate determined to hang himself.

Time frame...yes, it can happen in 15 minutes...easily. Double ligature marks could just indicate that he had tried it once before. As for cameras, some units do have cameras...but, they only cover the runs.

The scratches attributed to toe nail clippers...more likely a razor blade. Very easily snuck into a cell and hidden for future use. Whatever that may be...many use them for hair cuts, others to injure themselves.

The stab marks...I'm a little iffy on, without seeing them. Although, the one on his arm...it would not be black if it were recent.

The pictures you took...well, honestly should not have been taken without a representative from the Office of the Inspector General's Office or some type of law enforcement.

OIG always performs an investigation into any death. They do not however start an investigation until the death itself.

The only evidence I see so far that might stand up in a court would be the failing to document. If you would like, PM me and I can maybe discuss your chances with you. Something I am not open to doing in open forum.

The only other thing I see worth mentioning was the fact that you hadn't seen him in two years. I am assuming it was due to distance. But, were you aware of his mental state? You said in your opening that he had suffered much. I also would ask what unit he was on? If he was on a Mental status unit, the strap marks on his arms would be attributed to him having to be restrained in at some point...you would have to find out if he had been transported to Skyview for this.

Yet again...I am not trying to discount your story...or minimize it in any way. It is still a tragic loss. I am just trying to present the other side of what could have happened. My prayers are with you in this time of confusion and loss.

Now open for the thrashing I am going to get.

TXDoll3
05-01-2007, 11:58 AM
I am so sorry to hear about that! I can not even begin to imagine your pain and suffereing. I pray that you find the answers that you are seeking.

bigcarter1260
05-01-2007, 12:01 PM
sorry for your loss

30Flat
05-01-2007, 12:04 PM
programmed answers to the same questions asked by many victoms familys:confused:

Ask around...I don't give any type of programmed answers. Take them however you like them though. They are given earnestly and honestly.

magicmaryd
05-01-2007, 12:21 PM
i am sorry i sound so bitter . it is not directed @ you personally . but for the first 4 days after the death of my son . i did not eat , sleep or was i able to stop speaking ... i was on both cell phones non stop trying to get answers , any kind of help . our phone bill was 400.00 dollars that month . i lost my voice .. i kept hearing almost exactly word for word the same things you wrote in your posting ... we were in shock ... we felt lost and did not know where to turn .. we had no insurance .. we were not even able to collect the ss death benefit ... his funeral service was oct 29th i waited 5 1/2 mos to bury him .. it was horrible i had to go through 2 funerals ...

Kimi06
05-01-2007, 12:36 PM
I am praying strong for you and your family, please try
And get a attorney on this and have this evaluated very
Ceriously I pray GOD gives you all the answers:o

ccsmom
05-01-2007, 12:54 PM
I am truly sorry for your loss. I pray you get the answers you need and deserve.

magicmaryd
05-01-2007, 01:15 PM
so from your experience .. what happens to or what type of punishment is given to staff that falsifys docs.?

PT ROSE
05-01-2007, 01:16 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Keltria
05-01-2007, 01:34 PM
I am so sorry about your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts, and I really hope that you find some justice for your son.

DLM
05-01-2007, 03:19 PM
I am so very sorry reading this about your son. I will be keeping you all in my prayers - please let us know if you find out any more information.

babygirl350
05-01-2007, 03:33 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. My deepest sympathy goes out to you and your family.
You have been through so much.

Take care and know that we are all here for you.

nimuay
05-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Magic, it's the worst kind of story . . .one we each hope we never have to live. . .may you begin to find some peace, and some answers, and maybe even some justice.
Peace.

FriscoLady
05-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Our hearts and prayers are with your family.

Patti and Linda

sachsekd
05-01-2007, 05:20 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I pray that you get fast justice and the people involved in the cover up are brought to justice. God Bless you and your family.

krummy
05-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Magicmaryd---I would like to offer my sincere sympathies for you and your family. This is truly a horrible injustice and I hope you are able to get to the bottom of it and get the closure you so deserve. I will add you to my prayer list. May God bless you all.

Ashagirl
05-01-2007, 06:37 PM
I too offer my sympathies. I know that you have been through so much and are still seeking answers and ultimately comfort. I know that PTO can help with that comfort.

yasha
05-01-2007, 06:50 PM
I hope you get them for all they are worth. I know that money is no substitute for a loved one, in any matter of speaking. But I hope you get as much as you possibly can from them and I hope they have to grovel at your feet in their appology because this is so very, very wrong. Use this as a means of bringing all kinds of bad publicity to them... people need to know that these kinds of things happen way too often to continue to go unrecognized.

{{hugs}} to you and your family.

KayNMonty
05-01-2007, 07:58 PM
OMG. This is horrible. The injustices in the so called "Justice" system seem to grow day by day. I pray for you and your family and that God will bring some peace and civility to this situation. This is so very sad and unfourtunate.

deb
05-01-2007, 08:01 PM
I am so sorry.... My thoughts are with you and your family and I sure hope you are able to find a lawyer that takes and wins this case.. ((hugs))

Deb

My_Shell_B
05-01-2007, 08:10 PM
What a horrific ordeal to be subject to. I cannot tell you how sorry i am. I wish you all the best in finding the people responsible. More, i wish you peace over this one day.:heart:

MoMo
05-01-2007, 08:27 PM
So sorry for your loss and the trauma you have been through. What a horrible thing to go through. Stay strong and keep faith.

California Sunshine
05-01-2007, 08:33 PM
I am so sorry for your loss (((HUGS)))

faith07
05-01-2007, 08:36 PM
I am so sorry for your lost. This story brought tears to my eyes as well. God is wrapping his arms around you and giving you comfort, protection and answers. May God continue to bless you and your family.

Dale'sforever
05-01-2007, 08:46 PM
I am so sorry for your loss...you are in my prayers ((HUGS))

txsfmhstn
05-01-2007, 09:47 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a son/daughter in that manner is horrid, I can't even begin to imagine your pain.

Maybe you can contact this family and they can help you. I came across this one day and some other links that might help you.

MACC -- Texas Prison Watch (http://macc.4mg.com/texaswatch.html)

The Backgate Website - Texas prison and Criminal Justice News - Welcome (http://www.***********.com/welcome/)

The P.a.t.r.i.c.k. Crusade"Dedicated to the protection of human rights for all people" (http://www.patrickcrusade.org/)

PRISON MURDER (http://www.geocities.com/prisonmurder/)

Wrongful Death & Injury Institute (http://www.wrongfuldeathinstitute.com/)

PalmviewPrincess
05-01-2007, 10:39 PM
I am so sorry for your loss and hope and pray that you can find the answers you are desperately in search of. I cannot even begin to imagine something so horrible as this happening, I'm still in shock as to how something like this can be overlooked until it gets to this point. Please keep us posted, and if you need anything, we are here for you. Take Care and GOD Bless!

elizondo11
05-01-2007, 10:52 PM
I don't know how far you are willing to take your story.....but as someone stated earlier - there was a case of a 22 year old mentally ill inmate also killed, via downright neglect. Take it to the media. Any television station willing to listen. It may take persistance, but that is what his parents did. Only you can give him a voice now......and make it a loud one!!!!

elizondo11

S.HDZ
05-02-2007, 02:02 AM
you and your family are in my prayers. I am so sorry to hear this. Man! I just wish that the state would do something about this situation. and even more.

lpjrecto
05-02-2007, 02:14 AM
To imagine what you are going through...such a nightmare. I am crying along with you. You had not seen him in two years...until his death? So much pain.

Please know you are supported and don't ever, ever, hesitate to call out for this support.

No mother should have to endure this...Your heart will lead you in the right direction. Follow it, and never ignore your mother's intuition.

Love and Respect to you.

ParoledIn98
05-02-2007, 06:24 AM
Before I begin, let me express my deepest and sincere regards for the loss of your son. It should have never happened. I am so sorry.

What I about to tell you is from personal experience and FACT. It is virtually impossible to cut a piece of tightly woven suicide blanket, with fingernail clippers in a 15 minute time span. Secondly, all offenders are searched "shook-down" prior to being placed into a crisis management cell. Thirdly, all crisis management cells are searched prior to any placement of offenders in such. This is policy and procedure.

Clements Unit was built on the Michael's Unit Style Model after 1987. Said unit has a separate Hospital (infirmary) building, that is placed away from the housing areas. Crisis management cells are located in front of the nurses station for constant visualization of offenders placed in the cells. You need to secure the Infirmary personnel staffing records for that time and shift date for potential witnesses and defendants. See: http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/policy/ed1512fnl.pdf

Also, you will need to secure a TDCJ-ID "Suicide Blanket". Then you will understand why I stated that it is virtually impossible to cut same with fingernail clippers in the time span stated by the prison personnel.

Currently, I am trying to find you the TDCJ-ID Policy and Procedure Manual which governs Crisis Management. It's quite clear to me that this was not followed and they are libel for this. Either the officers, whom escorted him to crisis management killed him or they allowed an inmate(s), possibly from the gang that he renounced, to murder him.
Also, contact the Emergency Action Center to see if a Unit report was filed with them:

Emergency Action Center (EAC)

Mission

To gather information regarding potential risks to the agency and the state, and to provide a consistent, valid, and timely source of information to agency managers.
What We Do

The Emergency Action Center (EAC) provides a twenty-four hour communication link between the Texas Board of Criminal Justice (TBCJ), unit/department staff and administrative staff regarding serious or unusual incidents.

Texas Department of Criminal Justice
Emergency Action Center
Barbara Sapp, Administrator
P.O. Box 99
Huntsville, TX 77342-0099
(936) 437-8483
(936) 437-8996 FAX

Bill

Florida2006
05-02-2007, 06:41 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss!! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son...at least he's in a better place now and I'm sure he always comes around...i'm a firm beleiver in loved ones coming around after passing, and he's probably standing right next to you now...i hope the murderer that did this is caught!!

cysreese
05-02-2007, 06:44 AM
You and your family are in my prayers and a big:grouphug: to you.

J-macsbabygirl
05-02-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm so sorry that you and your family are having to go through this!! When our love ones are sent to prison, they don't see them as humans anymore, they treat them like their nothing. Its horrible!! I pray to GOD that you get justice!!! Good luck with everything, you and your family are in my prayers!! Keep fighting!!!!!!!!!!

Me,Myself&I
05-02-2007, 08:05 AM
You and your family are in my prayers. Im so sorry to hear this happened to you. ((HUGS))

magicmaryd
05-02-2007, 09:01 AM
thank you so much for your kind words and very useful info .... you are one of the lucky ones who made it home ....

magicmaryd
05-02-2007, 09:44 AM
what i believe started this chain of events last year around march.. i got a letter from him he was frantic...

teddy was in ag seg for about 6 yrs straight ... it is very inhumane ... i guess there was a incident where the gaurds had abused another inmate in thier circle maybe they broke his finger or worse (abuse ) so the other men in seg tried to protest by refusing to take thier hands out of the food slots ect.. so the gaurds bum-rushed the cells with thier riot gear on , shields ect ... they threw tears gas canasters @ my sons head .. and subdued him .... teddy said they were filming it but they got in the way of the lens view and tried to hurt him and break his foot ... then he got his status bumped down to the lowest it can go and he said that where he was @ was horrible .. he could hear peaple screaming all night and day ... it wore on him mentally .. he was drugged up .. the whole place smelled like feces ... he said he lost his mind and he was ashamed his quote was "" i broke weak "".. he also said that he thought someone was writing up the gaurds using his identitiy .. and they were out for him.. he also was hungry and could not get commissary because he lost all his privledges being in the lowest status ...

he was in that hell hole for a long period of time until he got some status back it seems that he finally went back to the ag seg cell only a few weeks before he died ... when 2 of his girls cousins who he was always writing and in close contact with came from another state for the funeral they brought with them the last known letter .. dated oct 1 06 ( he died oct 20th ) in the letter he writes how bad he had it .. and how they drugged him and was poisoning his food ect ... and he also stated that he was going to come home and he was going to take anything they would throw @ him.. he did not kill himself

when i got his frail body back i was shocked he was 29 but looked like a 50 yrs old .. his 6 foot frame resembled that of a haulocost victom 138 lbs

30Flat
05-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Just a couple of things I kind of disagree with ParoledIn98....

What I about to tell you is from personal experience and FACT. It is virtually impossible to cut a piece of tightly woven suicide blanket, with fingernail clippers in a 15 minute time span. Secondly, all offenders are searched "shook-down" prior to being placed into a crisis management cell. Thirdly, all crisis management cells are searched prior to any placement of offenders in such. This is policy and procedure.

Staff would not have utilized nail clippers in order to cut the suicide blanket...it would have been a 911 tool...closely resembles a gut hook for those who hunt. The nail clippers are what they claimed he scratched himself with. Also, when an inmate is shook down...as you well know, anything that is inside him is not going to be apparent. This I know from several inmates who regularly swallow razor blades for use later. I am sure that in your 19 years inside, you have also seen the same.

Also, EAC is not going to divulge that information not through a phone call. You may possibly be able to get a lawyer to contact H'ville and then get a chance at it that way. I just know every time I have talked to EAC, they verify who I am and from what unit.

magicmaryd
05-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Just a couple of things I kind of disagree with ParoledIn98....

Staff would not have utilized nail clippers in order to cut the suicide blanket...it would have been a 911 tool...closely resembles a gut hook for those who hunt. The nail clippers are what they claimed he scratched himself with. Also, when an inmate is shook down...as you well know, anything that is inside him is not going to be apparent. This I know from several inmates who regularly swallow razor blades for use later. I am sure that in your 19 years inside, you have also seen the same.

Also, EAC is not going to divulge that information not through a phone call. You may possibly be able to get a lawyer to contact H'ville and then get a chance at it that way. I just know every time I have talked to EAC, they verify who I am and from what unit.
they are claiming he scratched himself with nail clippers on stomach and forearm then a staff member seen the marks and he was moved to the crises mgt cell and had been there about 5 days ... they said that he cut his suicide blanket there in crises mgt with nail clippers
when i got his 2 tiny boxes from them of his personal belongings i found a small pair of some old nailclippers with only the cliper part remaining the file part is gone ( could these be the infamous nail clippers )

i was never in prison

but i esentially done his time with him ...

key jo
05-02-2007, 10:14 AM
I saw a story about a similar situation but in a State Mental hospital. Advocacy, Inc, is handling the case. Maybe they could help in this situation, also? It was on Channel 8 in D/FW.

lpjrecto
05-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Your son's quote that he "broke weak" was gut-wrenching. How old was he? My gosh! He never had a chance to grow older or mature in a normal environment. He was not "weak." He kept trying!

Good luck to you in all of this MagicMary...I am praying for you - that you have the divine guidance to give you the strength to do what you know, as a mother, you need to do.

I cry every time I read your posts (okay; I'm a bit "sensitive") yet I can't NOT read them.

Remember to accept all help where offered. Your journey is going to continue to be a long one. I hope you have emotional support from family and friends. It seems that you do. You certainly deserve it.

How did his weight drop so much? Was this documented? He could have been suffering from malnutrition. It all seems to be much more complicated than the explanations you are given. He was neglected - that seems clear. Going back to the weight, why wasn't this addressed? Did someone on the medical staff there assume this was "normal?" :eek:

You won't get him back, and this pains me so much. If your actions somehow save another child from the same fate, you will be honoring him. It isn't about revenge; it's about looking at every possibility to do the right thing. Whatever happened to that concept?

I'm not an attorney, a pastor, or an expert. I'm just another mother...and I'm doing my son's time with him.

Love to you,
:broken:

I suppose my signature line, from Mary "Mother" Jones, could be edited to fight like hell for ALL of them who can't defend themselves...but then I can't misquote her. It's how I feel now.

ParoledIn98
05-02-2007, 12:44 PM
I thought I read that correctly concerning the nail clippers..

Bill

retired-37
05-02-2007, 11:28 PM

HUNG HIMSELF

magicmaryd,
I don't know what to say. I mean, I am soooooooooooooooo sorry. Please accept my sympathy for your loss is great. TDCJ is not the only correctional facility that covers up murders. I know about murders that have taken place in Kaufman County Jail. When will this insanity stop?! I didn't know how to respond to it then, or now. I'm just so sorry for the loss of your loved one.................Andy Morin III

30Flat
05-03-2007, 12:19 AM
I thought I read that correctly concerning the nail clippers..

You were, I misread it thinking that they had attempted to cut him down that way. But, on the same thread....crisis management cells aren't searched every 15 minutes...the inmates are usually just checked on through the door. He could have worked on cutting it for however long.

Oh...the nail clippers do not have the file part to them, for obvious reasons.

I also meant to PM you earlier magicmaryd about your earlier question and got stuck with housework. Will do it now though.

Ness
05-03-2007, 12:21 AM
You and your family are in my thoughts.

HOPE4FUTURE
05-03-2007, 04:22 AM
Mary, The 2 boxes of his personal belongings were most likely his items that were in lockup because they are not allowed to have that stuff in their cells. I doubt those are the nail clippers. If he did use nail clippers than they would have been put in evidence locker. Do you have a police report? I would get a lawyer.

ParoledIn98
05-03-2007, 05:21 AM
I do happen to know that CO's and sometimes hospital personnel are required by policy to do a visual inspection of the crisis management cell every 15 or 30 minutes (due to not being able to secure the AD which governs Crisis Mgnt, I can't state the time frame as fact...one of the two times I have listed is one of them tho) and they are required to initial the clipboard, which hangs outside the door of the cell notating the time in which said cell was inspected and by whom. I did not mean that the cell itsself was searched every 15 minutes.
Mary, you need to contact Huntsville, thru the open records act and get the Administrative Directives concerning Crisis management, as well as the Unit's Ad Seg Employee Roster and Unit Infirmary Roster for that time frame and date. Also, you will need a list of all supervisory personnel that were on shift at Clements during that time frame when this happened... get these asap...however, be prepared for the stalling game that H'Ville is going to put you thru (an attorney would probably be the best bet).

Bill

RIANNE
05-03-2007, 06:24 AM
What a terrible tragedy for you all to endure, I can't imagine how you must feel,,this is the dread we all have on PT,that of losing our loved ones while imprisoned, to violence..those animals !! :angry: have you been to the newspapers with those photos, only a public outcry will force authorities to hold an inquest into your sons death..otherwise it'll be all hushed up..contact anyone and everyone who will listen, make a lot of noise, and don't give up, your son deserves justice..I'llbe praying for you in your pain,may God comfort you in your tragic loss, Blessings, Rianne:(

mrscooper
05-03-2007, 06:27 AM
I sit here and i read what you write and it hurts my heart. I pray your strength in the Lord and i pray that you get the answers that you need. I pray that you uncover the truth and that they punish those that hurt your son.
I think that is the nightmare of all of us out here, My husband who is 23 calls everynight and says things like, if i dont make it home do this, do that, its a scary thing, Please if you need to talk, Im here, if you need to vent, im here. If you need to cry, ill cry with you.

magicmaryd
05-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Your son's quote that he "broke weak" was gut-wrenching. How old was he? My gosh! He never had a chance to grow older or mature in a normal environment. He was not "weak." He kept trying!

Good luck to you in all of this MagicMary...I am praying for you - that you have the divine guidance to give you the strength to do what you know, as a mother, you need to do.

I cry every time I read your posts (okay; I'm a bit "sensitive") yet I can't NOT read them.

Remember to accept all help where offered. Your journey is going to continue to be a long one. I hope you have emotional support from family and friends. It seems that you do. You certainly deserve it.

How did his weight drop so much? Was this documented? He could have been suffering from malnutrition. It all seems to be much more complicated than the explanations you are given. He was neglected - that seems clear. Going back to the weight, why wasn't this addressed? Did someone on the medical staff there assume this was "normal?" :eek:

You won't get him back, and this pains me so much. If your actions somehow save another child from the same fate, you will be honoring him. It isn't about revenge; it's about looking at every possibility to do the right thing. Whatever happened to that concept?

I'm not an attorney, a pastor, or an expert. I'm just another mother...and I'm doing my son's time with him.

Love to you,
:broken:

I suppose my signature line, from Mary "Mother" Jones, could be edited to fight like hell for ALL of them who can't defend themselves...but then I can't misquote her. It's how I feel now.
my son teddy was only 29 .. he never had a driver license and baREly knew how to drive even ... we waited so long for him to come home .. he was the closest son to me i had a total of 3 sons ... when the other 2 where small thier father kept them from me when i left him ... i was an abused housewife when i was young without a family of my own. for years it was just teddy and me ... we were @ the mercy of everyone we came in contact to .. he lived in cars with me . even a small travel trailor in LA. that we parked on the side of the pacific coast highway by the beach , we moved to cali. for about 6 years .. we were nomads . with no suppport group . teddy started going to juvinile when he was 11 yrs old . new years 94 i came back to tx. to be with my other 2 sons and got teddy back .. i got him a job @ the waffle house where i was working .. he @ least got to be with his brothers for about 9 mos before everything happened . he always loved them very much ... in the last 1 1/2 god has given me 3 grand children ...my middle son is also in tdc now his first time down . hes been gone a year and a half . and will be out july 1...he has taken this very hard . he hates himself that he could not be here for me ... they did bring him up for the funeral .. that was a miracle ... poor boy when we arrived @ the service he was alreaddy there it broke my heart that he seen his bro lying there in the casket without me standing by him .

we had to have 2 funerals for teddy .. we had no insurance . his father came from another stated and paid for it we had 1 night viewing and the next day was the service ... he was to be creamated for financial reasons .. then he stayed in the funeral home storage for 5 1/2 mos a judge somewhere would not give permits to creamate him .. so the funeral home ANDERSON CLAYTON IN MESQUITE TEXAS . " gave us " a burial plot and a casket with the vault and burried him for us ... it was a blessing ... they were wonderful people .. so teddy was burried march 13th .. when we arrived i could see the tent set up in the distance and a long casket lay un der it .. i got weak in my knees and wet my self ...

the funeral directer was there he asked me if i wanted the casket open . after all that time i said no .. but they assured me they took good care of him for me and he looked the same .. so it was opened ..

magicmaryd
05-03-2007, 01:28 PM
trying to get one .. but it is hard ... do not know who to trust ... i did how ever find the wrongfuldeathinstitute on the web .. there is an advocate there named karen russo .. she is trying for me ..

now i have you guys in the last 3 days since i found this site it is helping me much .. the feeling s are stirring inside of me .. but now there are more to listen ...

Lillybee
05-03-2007, 01:40 PM
I am so sorry for this. May you find justice for your son.

magicmaryd
05-03-2007, 01:57 PM
I do happen to know that CO's and sometimes hospital personnel are required by policy to do a visual inspection of the crisis management cell every 15 or 30 minutes (due to not being able to secure the AD which governs Crisis Mgnt, I can't state the time frame as fact...one of the two times I have listed is one of them tho) and they are required to initial the clipboard, which hangs outside the door of the cell notating the time in which said cell was inspected and by whom. I did not mean that the cell itsself was searched every 15 minutes.
Mary, you need to contact Huntsville, thru the open records act and get the Administrative Directives concerning Crisis management, as well as the Unit's Ad Seg Employee Roster and Unit Infirmary Roster for that time frame and date. Also, you will need a list of all supervisory personnel that were on shift at Clements during that time frame when this happened... get these asap...however, be prepared for the stalling game that H'Ville is going to put you thru (an attorney would probably be the best bet).

Bill
the inspector general office uncovered that there were 3 gaurds on duty .. 2 of which were required to do 15 min sec checks on all crises mgt cells in that pod. 3rd guard was interviewed and spilled the beans ... the 2 did not do it and falsified docs . saying they did .i guess the 3rd gaurd informed thier sargeant and he failed to inform office of inspec. gen. investigator knowing there was an ongoing investigation.. the doc. they sent me states names and date of births but the ss #'s are blacked out .. the 3 guards were young in thier 20's

HOPE4FUTURE
05-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Mary, I sent you a private message but I really think that you should call the media and talk with someone about this story and have it published in the paper. This is just horrible!

magicmaryd
05-03-2007, 02:12 PM
the first 2 months i went through 2 slip and fall attorneys both took almost 2 mos before they say they cannot take this caSE . i found a few mos ago a site called wrongfuldeathinstitute they are resources for prisoners familys .. the advocate woman named karen russo has been helping me she is speaking to a couple of attorneys and will let me know something i hope soon . i will never give up i made my youngest son promise that if i die he will take over haunting them for me ... there is a 2 years limitation on filing suit .. teddys died oct 20th they said @ 10.40 pm ... but coroner report said 840 pm ... so that means 2 hours or more actually went by before he was found ...

HOPE4FUTURE
05-03-2007, 02:16 PM
I don't know if you got the chance to read the article about Timothy Souders who died in a MI prison last August but there were lawyers jumping to take the case.

30Flat
05-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Let me explain the process of Crisis Management. An inmate is placed in a cell that has been searched, as is he. Fifteen minute checks are conducted. There is a small space for the time and then a short line for what the inmate is doing. For example...2000 hrs....standing at toilet using restroom....2015 hrs...sitting at desk....2030 hrs...laying on bunk sleeping...2045 hrs...laying on bunk sleeping....and so on and so forth. OIG is not involved in CM, that is confusing me with your story. I understand you allege that one or more of the officers falsified the SCR card and it being reported to the Sgt...but, why would the Sgt then have reported it to OIG? That makes no sense, as OIG would not have become involved until the area became a potential crime scene. This is all still so confusing. It is no wonder you are having a hard time finding representation. Seeing how you were treated at such a tender age...juvenile at 11...a few years free and then a crime that roughly got him 30 years. You have a hard row to hoe proving he would have had no ill effects from all of that...that it would not have affected him mentally. Then another beloved brother incarcerated too. That is a whole lot to deal with.

The two hours discrepancy in time of death is neither here nor there when it is unattended. It is an estimate at best...all types of things affect it....temperature being one of them. It can make rigor set in quicker or slower.

It will definitely be difficult to go to court at this point with such a time lapse.

SandC4E
05-04-2007, 04:45 AM
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you find answers because something doesn't seem right.

Good luck and God Bless!

Sheila

HOPE4FUTURE
05-04-2007, 04:49 AM
Seems to me that if this inmate was so suicidal that he should have been put on Direct Observation.

30Flat
05-04-2007, 07:04 AM
That is why I posted before about the strap marks on his wrists. You are only allowed to keep them in five point restraints for certain periods of time. There really is no stopping a person determined to commit suicide. You can TRY all you like, it is not up to you...or anyone else for that matter. It is up to that person alone and their determination level. Everyone has issues, it is just what options you chose is dealing with them that counts in the long run. lormur knows all about...well...just about everything about mental health...she would know.

HOPE4FUTURE
05-04-2007, 07:15 AM
So, is there no Direct Observation without restraints in TX?

magicmaryd
05-04-2007, 04:27 PM
my sons head was hit with a blunt object . it had fresh stitches and was lumpy and you could tell it had been layed open ... on the doc form coroner it states subgaleal hemorrhage .. i tried to put a link on the site but it would not allow me ... google it ..

I don't know if you got the chance to read the article about Timothy Souders who died in a MI prison last August but there were lawyers jumping to take the case.

txsfmhstn
05-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Here are a couple of links that might interest you. Rudy's pictures are horrible.

Rudy Delgado (http://www.geocities.com/prisonmurder/rudy_delgado.html)

RANDY PAYNE (http://www.geocities.com/prisonmurder/randy_payne.html)

TEXAS OTHERS (http://www.geocities.com/prisonmurder/texas_others.html)

All of these are from the state of Texas. No telling how many others have died and we have no clue about. I know I have heard before from one of the ones I write that an inmate died and no one reported it on the news.

irshnrse
05-05-2007, 04:15 PM
I am so sorry for your loss and the insult of being lied to. I am from Oklahoma and we had a guy that was murdered while in custody. They said he hung himself, but his body was black and blue. His family has been trying to hold someone accountable for this awful crime. His name was Kenneth Trentadue. If you do a google search, there are multiple articles. Maybe they have some advice for you. Once again, I am so sorry this happened.

shiva65
05-07-2007, 10:13 AM
I am at loss of words,, i am sooo sorry.. prayers and thoughts for you

Licious
05-17-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm very saddend by this and I will pray for you and your family. Know that your son is in a MUCH better place. Pray to God, He will hear and answer your prayers.

P.S. If you really want your story heard, go to the media.....

fligrl
05-17-2007, 03:08 PM
I am so sorry for your loss and for the pain your son must have indured. It makes me sick!!! I know it is a tremendous burden for your family to have to fight this battle each and every day, but you have to fight for anyone else that might be in a similar situation, as well as the lack of dignity given your son. My prayers and deepest sympathy to you and your family. Stay strong!

changed
07-23-2007, 03:13 AM
I am sorry to hear about what happened. I dont know how people can be that way towards someone else. even if they are in prison. Inmates are people to. god bless you and your family and I hope everything works out.

mercedes howard
08-01-2007, 05:57 PM
This is so tragic Every parents nightmare, I'm so so sorry For you lose. I pray that God will help you get the truth about what happento your son and the poeple responsible are made to pay for this injustice. Stay strong and demand answers .God Be With You and Your family. Mercedes

kfoster78
05-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Hello,

I have been searching the "Bill Clements Unit" and your story came up.

My nephew was in the Bill Clements Unit for Aggravated Robbery. He spent 17th birthday in prison. He got a 30 year sentence for this. He was in there for 9 plus years. All of our family wrote to him, and he appeared to be handling everything as well as could be expected. My Mom and Dad would go and visit him about every six to eight months. We all got a letter from him in January and he sent deposit slips for us to send him money.
About a year ago, he started having mental problems. The put him on Zoloft and it seem to work for a bit, but then it got worse. He tried to kill himself by cutting his wrist. They caught it in time. Then more recently, he started hearing voices. He was trying to get treatment but the apparently denied him that. He had lost a tremendous amount of weight. He would write letters saying how he was so tired of eating peanut & butter sandwiches. On February 22, 2001, I received a call stating Kevin had killed himself by slitting his wrist. They asked us if we wanted to just bury him in the prison cemetery. Of course we said NO. They transported him to Fort Worth to perform an autopsy. Once we got him to the funeral home we notice several things that were disturbing. His fingernails & toenails were covered in blood. The cut was not his wrist; it was on his fore-arm and across the crease in his arm.
He did have some light bruising in his mid body area and on his face, and his knuckles were also bruised/skinned up. It seemed as though he had been in a fight? He was supposed to be in a cell 23/7. We have asked these questions:
1) Why wasn't he on suicide watch?
2) Where did he get something to cut himself with?
3) We were told they are supposed to do cell checks every 15 minutes? If they did this Kevin would still be here.
4) We were told by a judge in Amarillo, that Kevin left a suicide note. But they would not release it. We were advised to get a attorney to get this released.
5) We were also told it would be six weeks for the autopsy results and their investigation to be completed. So would not be able to get Kevin’s belongings back and to find out the results of the investigation.

On March 3rd, we received a letter from one of Kevin's friends in the Bill Clements Unit, and he stated the following:
Kevin had tried to kill himself before because of the medication he was on. He got off the meds and seemed to be doing better until recently. Kevin started hearing stuff. He said that he and Kevin both asked for help for him was unsuccessful. Then, on Feb. 22nd, Kevin cut himself and started yelling for help. The Guard, (I will not mention his name here) came and looked at Kevin, and said, “You are gonna have to do better than that. Cut yourself two or three more times before we are going to do anything." So, Kevin cut himself more, and then started yelling, and kicking the door asking for help. By this time, other inmates around Kevin starting yelling for the Guards to come and help as well. He said it took 20 minutes for them to come back around to check on Kevin. By the time they got there Kevin was unresponsive. They pulled him out of the cell, and did CPR, but could not revive him. He said that if the Guards had done their job, Kevin would still be alive. He felt like we needed to know what really happen because he thinks they are trying to cover it up.

Why didn't the Guard lock him down when he saw that Kevin had cut his self? Especially when he had attempted this before, and had previously asked for help!

It’s now May 4, 2011, and we just got his death certificate back and it says cause of death, “Unknown.” What does this mean? If they did an autopsy wouldn’t they know the cause of death? Why hasn’t someone called us to tell us the results of the autopsy and the investigation? If the investigation is complete why haven’t they released his belongings and the speculative suicide letter?

We have so many unanswered questions, and have had no closure. We feel like if this was in fact a suicide, Kevin was mentally unstable and needed help. We feel like Kevin was neglected and denied care. He was crying out for help, and no one came.
Kevin was a good kid, he just got into drugs and hung out with the wrong people when he was a kid. Our justice system made an example out of Kevin instead of trying to help a 17 year old kid. Now they have failed him again by allowing this to happen.

I know that Bill Clements Unit is notorious for this kind of stuff, and I am sure there are more stories out there about abuse, neglect and worse. Please, Please, if anyone out there that has had these kinds of these experiences, please contact me. We need to come together and make this stop. Kevin was on 26 years old. He was like my little brother. Animals are treated better than these Guys in The Clements Unit!!! I don’t want anyone else out there to have to experience this with one of their love one’s.

God Bless.

:(

HUNG HIMSELF

magicmaryd
11-12-2011, 10:15 AM
This is magic maryd. All week i have been thinking of my teddy then all of a sudden i get an email from the prison talk admin..... Just sayn they moved the thread. But i know its him communicating with me. I grieved his loss heavily for tree years it was consuming. Time has made it slightly better but its always there deep inside butt i have came to beleive that this existance is NOT ALL THERE IS and he is somewhere in another plane/ dimension , somewhere that we cannot understand as mere humans and he is waiting for his loved ones and ONE DAY WE WILL BE TOGETHER I imagine this everyday. I can feel it.

magicmaryd
11-12-2011, 10:57 AM
kfoster78. Please email me

]

I hope you read this i am on a mobile phone n cannot figure out how to respond to you
EMAIL ME I HAVE INFO FOR YOU MIGHT B USEFUL

Amanda_UWW
11-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Wow! I am speechless! I am so very sorry!! Please keep fighting... The justice system should not be able to get away with something like this. I wish you the best of luck.

KimberlyKay023
06-02-2012, 07:14 PM
thats crazy. its so sad things like that happen

verito7981
06-03-2012, 12:03 PM
This made me so sad I'm so sorry for your loss I dnt knw if you've had any justice but all will prevail may vie bless you and your family.

msgreenthumb67
06-03-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm so sorry to hear these things happen inside!!! It seems our justice system is run by a lot of criminal elements....some committing worse crimes in the name of justice than our lo's committed to be in there!!! God bless and strengthen those who have suffered these heinous losses! Help them find Your peace, answers and justice for the crimes committed against them and their loved ones!! Amen.

1 Corinthians 1:25-29