View Full Version : What does abscond mean?

currious07
04-30-2007, 07:35 PM
I have a friend who is on federal probation and who went to halfway house because he became homeless. He was there for a few months by his own choice. I lost contact with him and decided to check the inmate locator and it now says under release date "Abscond" and under location is says "Unknown." Does this mean he hasn't reported to his PO and they don't know where he is? How much does one get for something of this nature?

zunigan
04-30-2007, 07:36 PM
It means he is gone-escaped and they do not know where he is.

currious07
04-30-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the response. Was is the sentencing guidelines for something of this nature?

GOODT
05-01-2007, 07:34 PM
It means to leave without permission

currious07
05-01-2007, 07:50 PM
I appreciate all the responses, it confirmed what I thought. I just can't understand what happened he spent 30-months in Federal Prison and said he never wanted to go back. I think it was difficult for him, being he had nobody to turn to. He lived with old friends who were doing illegal things so he ended up in the shelter for 3-months. Next, his probation officer recommended he go to a halfway house. He was all for it, since he had nobody else to turn to. He rode the city bus 3-hours each way to a job that didn't pay much. Next, he was no where to be found. I think he just couldn't take it anymore, they wanted money, money, money that he just didn't have. His restitution was over $10 million and he was required to pay for his medication, which cost $500 a month and plus his treatment. I just don't know how he was able to cope with so many obstacles for 2 years.

Thanks again for all your responses...sorry for venting.

My_Shell_B
05-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Please don't be sorry for venting. That's what we are all here for--support. :)