View Full Version : Oklahoma overcrowding

prettyeyes72769
04-29-2007, 07:59 PM
I visited my husband today and he said it was on the news all day yesterday that they are so crowed that they have closed A and R and can not accept anymore prisoners until some are released. He said they talked about releasing hundreds of inmates who are non violent and close to release. I was checking online and I cant find anything on it. Has anyone heard about this?

dragonflydmp
04-30-2007, 10:55 AM
www.tulsaworld.com (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/www.tulsaworld.com)

DOC dusting off 'No Vacancy' sign

by: ANGEL RIGGS World Capitol Bureau
4/28/2007

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The Department of Corrections will have to stop accepting inmates in roughly two weeks, Director Justin Jones told the Board of Corrections on Friday.

"I'm not aware that it's ever been done before," Jones said. "I certainly don't see any other options."

The agency has long grappled with severe crowding in the state's prisons but usually has found extra room by putting beds in "nontraditional" space, such as dayrooms or renovated buildings.

But the department is now running out of even nontraditional areas to convert to bed space. Only 53 beds remain available in the prison system, the fewest since the early 1980s, Jones said.

Within about 14 working days, the agency no longer will have room for new prisoners, he said. Jones added that the department possibly could continue to take some female inmates.

The announcement brought calls from the Oklahoma Public Employees Association for the Legislature to assess sentencing practices and fund the DOC's capital and personnel needs.

Sterling Zearley, the OPEA's executive director, said in a prepared statement that the group repeatedly has expressed concern about the state's dependence on private prisons and has said for more than a decade that Oklahoma should add more public prison beds.

The DOC's crowding has been compounded in recent months as the agency has had to find space to house more than 1,000 offenders, in addition to the weekly 200 or so new arrivals.

About 800 inmates had been evicted from the privately run Great Plains Correctional Facility in Hinton, while a court order required the agency to transfer roughly 300 state inmates from the Oklahoma County Jail to state prisons.

Jones said his agency has asked the Pardon and Parole Board to consider a special commutation docket for nonvio lent offenders who will be turned over to federal immigration authorities upon their release. That would include about 160 offenders, he said.

But corrections officials said 200 empty beds would be filled within 18 days.

Using nontraditional space increases safety concerns for corrections workers and inmates. If an emergency rises, inmates in cells can be locked down, said Jerry Massie, a DOC spokesman.

"In a dormitory, if you have 100 people on the floor, it's more problematic if something does happen," he said.

Also at the meeting, Jim Harris, the DOC's chief financial officer, announced that Gov. Brad Henry had signed two bills providing more than $30 million in supplemental funding for the agency.

The funds should be enough to allow the agency to meet all of its obligations through the end of the fiscal year in June, he said.

Angel Riggs (405) 528-2465
angel.riggs@tulsaworld.com (angel.riggs@tulsaworld.com)

T&O
04-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Hi all,

I just cannot help but be a little suspicious over this, because Oklahoma is currently taking in prisoners from Colorado (where my husband was), Wyoming, Vermont....and now they're going to start taking in prisoners from Maine. In fact, the prison my husband is in (North Fork in Sayre, Oklahoma) doesn't have ANY Oklahoma prisoners in it anymore, and it has 1,440 beds.

Colorado told the same story about all their overcrowding, so they started shipping inmates out-of-state, away from their families.

When the overcrowding first became an issue they (Colorado) also talked like they would start releasing prisoners early, but instead they shipped them out.

Get involved in this as much as you can, because if Oklahoma falls in line with Colorado, they'll start shipping their inmates out of state as well.

There's money in it somewhere, I just know it! Maybe if they talk about the safety risks of using non-traditional space and start shipping inmates out, it gives them a better chance of getting more prisons built. That's all fine and good unless they're taking in inmates from out-of-state.

Colorado is doing the same thing. They have inmates from Wyoming and Nebraska, etc., but ship their "own" elsewhere.

God bless,
~Lainie

dragonflydmp
04-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Yes, the private prisons in Oklahoma are taking inmates from other states. There is nothing our DOC can do about that without the funds to outbid those other states for the private prison beds. I don't know what they'll do. Private prison space is at a premium and if we can't afford those beds in our own state, I'm not sure we could outbid anyone else in other states either.

Dismayzie
04-30-2007, 12:51 PM
I just spoke wih Angel Riggs--the reporter of this article and she is very aware of what is going on with the private prisons in Oklahoma. She is also aware of this web site. So maybe if you folks start talking with her--maybe things can happen. She told me that she has written numerous articles about women going to prison in Ok. Since I live in Arkansas, ofcourse, I don't read Ok. newspapers. I did tell her however, that a grave responsibility laid on the shoulders of the newpapers and reporters to tell the public the TRUTH about the corruption of the prison systems.

I wonder if the Colorado citizens know that they are paying the private prison systems a HIGHER rate than other states for the privledge of warehousing their human cargo?? This is why there are no Ok. natives in the Ok. private prison system--they won't pay that high price to them. So--they ship them to states willing to house them for less money.

"Oh Lord Jesus, COME and save us from the corruption of this world"!

dragonflydmp
04-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Oklahoma does have inmates in private prisons in the state. LCF is one that houses Oklahoma inmates. Hinton is the one that recently closed and ended it's contract with Oklahoma to house their inmates because Oklahoma could not pay the higher rate. I think they are currently negotiating with other states and the federal government for the rates they want for those beds, however for now the prison is closed. Oklahoma just needs to come to terms with the situation and make decisions on what kind of offenders they want to keep behind bars. Public attention is needed and I am very happy to see it when our news venues cover the situation.

JKB's Girl
04-30-2007, 01:06 PM
There are Oklahoma people in private prisons, my man is one of I'm sure hundreds of Oklahoma inmates in private prisons. What I wonder is when the remainder of the private prisons will begin to kick out the Oklahoma inmates like Hinton did to take inmates from other states that pay higher per diem rates.

What they need to do here is take the governor out of the parole process, or he needs to start following the recommendations of the parole board for releasing both violent and non-violent offenders. It never ceases to amaze me that they look at only non-violent offenders. There are many many violent offenders that would never re-offend if given the chance. After all I'm sure if you look at the records of many of the violent offenders that a vast majority of them began their trek thru the DOC as non-violent offenders.

docwatchdog
04-30-2007, 01:07 PM
In the 90's Oklahoma shipped inmates out of state to Texas. That is why all the private prison were built here. Oklahoma has over 4000 inmates in private prisons in Okla.

Oklahoma will not be releasing any inmates to make room for new inmates. They do have a plan B that would call for beds being open up inother places around the state or out of state for that matter

JKB's Girl
04-30-2007, 06:34 PM
So, are you saying that even if the parole board recommends inmates that they aren't going to release them? Or, are you saying they aren't going to release any just because of the overcrowding situation?

docwatchdog
04-30-2007, 09:10 PM
If the Governor signs the parole then yes will be released but DOC can not release anyone just because they are full. If you had been at the BOC meeting Friday you would have heard them say that they would stop receiving inmates in possibly 2 weeks. they will not release anyone that hasn't made parole or discharged their sentence.

loves2travel
04-30-2007, 09:21 PM
So would this be a good time to file an early parole packet?

guvokikam
05-01-2007, 06:56 PM
So would this be a good time to file an early parole packet?

Good question! I would like to know the answer too. :idea:

debhavu
05-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Hi all,

I just cannot help but be a little suspicious over this, because Oklahoma is currently taking in prisoners from Colorado (where my husband was), Wyoming, Vermont....and now they're going to start taking in prisoners from Maine. In fact, the prison my husband is in (North Fork in Sayre, Oklahoma) doesn't have ANY Oklahoma prisoners in it anymore, and it has 1,440 beds.

Colorado told the same story about all their overcrowding, so they started shipping inmates out-of-state, away from their families.

When the overcrowding first became an issue they (Colorado) also talked like they would start releasing prisoners early, but instead they shipped them out.

Get involved in this as much as you can, because if Oklahoma falls in line with Colorado, they'll start shipping their inmates out of state as well.

There's money in it somewhere, I just know it! Maybe if they talk about the safety risks of using non-traditional space and start shipping inmates out, it gives them a better chance of getting more prisons built. That's all fine and good unless they're taking in inmates from out-of-state.

Colorado is doing the same thing. They have inmates from Wyoming and Nebraska, etc., but ship their "own" elsewhere.

God bless,
~Lainie
Hi All
I live in Maine, and my husband is an inmate in Maine. He has been "asked" if he would like to transfer to North Fork Facility in Oklahoma. He said "no", his family is in NH and I am here in Maine 5 miles from him.
Can you tell me what it is like at North Fork? What is visiting like? Anything I can tell him would help alliviate some of his anxiety in case they do transfer him to there. Thanks for your help.

onry
05-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Just FYI DOC has been in the process of reviewing hundreds if not thousands of case files for Non-violent offenders who received write-ups and lost good time on certain offenses, such as getting caught smoking.
In some cases, the good time is being restored if it brings the inmate up to discharge sooner.
Oklahoma has inmates housed in these facilities
Davis Correctional Center
Cimarron Correctional Center
Diamondback Correctional Center
Lawton Correctional Center

Here is a link for weekly counts for DOC

http://www.doc.state.ok.us/offenders/count/04_30_07.pdf

more stats for you

http://www.doc.state.ok.us/newsroom/facts/Facts%20at%20a%20Glance%20Feb07.doc.pdf

Rest assured that DOC will always do whatever is most profitable for them.
(http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/2007-08HB/HB1450_int.rtf)

docwatchdog
05-02-2007, 12:04 PM
OK- CURE sent out this story this morning.

Henry rejects early release idea

by: BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau
5/2/2007

He wants other options to solve the issue of crowding in the state's prisons.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Gov. Brad Henry said Tuesday that he does not support using the state Pardon and Parole Board to solve the Oklahoma Department of Corrections' crowding problems.

Henry said it would be an inappropriate use of the board to have it commute the sentences of offenders.

The Corrections Department said last week that it soon will have to stop accepting inmates because of a shortage of bed space.

At that time, agency Director Justin Jones said the Corrections Department had asked the Pardon and Parole Board to consider a special commutation docket for nonviolent offenders who will be turned over to federal immigration authorities upon their release.

Henry said he is working with Jones behind the scenes to solve the space problem.

He would not discuss what alternatives are under consideration. He said the options do not include the early release of offenders.

onry
05-02-2007, 11:02 PM
JMO but if the Governor would get off his lazy butt and sign the parole for those inmates who made parole months ago that would free up a whole lot of bedspace.
I have a friend who made parole in early spring of this year and is still being held until the governor decides to sign off on it.

I have known inmates who made it through the parole process but were held for years longer because DOC didn't have room for them to complete necessary programs in order to meet the parole boards recommendations.

The Governor is not going to put his political career at stake by letting the public know that DOC has and still are releasing inmates early by restoring lost time credits.

RobinsRose
05-03-2007, 05:03 PM
JMO but if the Governor would get off his lazy butt and sign the parole for those inmates who made parole months ago that would free up a whole lot of bedspace.
I have a friend who made parole in early spring of this year and is still being held until the governor decides to sign off on it.

I have known inmates who made it through the parole process but were held for years longer because DOC didn't have room for them to complete necessary programs in order to meet the parole boards recommendations.

The Governor is not going to put his political career at stake by letting the public know that DOC has and still are releasing inmates early by restoring lost time credits.

Couldn't of said your post any better if I had wrote it myself.

It really makes you question just "why in the hell they have the pardon & parole board if the governor does not accept the judgement of ALL THE BOARD MEMBERS!!!!!!!! Very Frustrating :(

RobinsRose
05-03-2007, 05:07 PM
I would like to say I do appreciate all CURE does to help inmates and families. :)
Sincerely
Robin

dragonflydmp
05-04-2007, 04:57 AM
Very good post Onry. I have to agree. My husband was approved last month and we know it will be mid to late summer before he actually comes home. I understand the wait to process his file, the home visit and all, but then to know we have to sit months to wait on the governor to sign it is very frustrating.

lilithinwaiting
07-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Again, this is my humble opinion.. If the drug laws where changed, the prisons would be half empty.. Leave the prisons for violent offenders.. Legalize drugs, make it a every adult's responsibility. Tax it since that seems to be part of the issue and make it for over 21 as it is with alcohol. Now, I am not a drug user and frankly find addicts a pain in the rear, my husband is not in for drugs but I can see by changing the law, the over crowding problem would cease. Why sentence someone - 10 to 20 years for pot, for god's sakes when rapists, childmolesters and murderers often get a slap on the hand and a ham sandwhich for being good.

loves2travel
07-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Well I would have to disagree, I think we would have many more problems in this country if drugs were legalized. I agree they are giving them too much time behind bars, they need to come up with some better rehabilitation stratagies. Sitting behind the cement walls is only a temporary fix. We need to get to the root of these prisoners addictions and help them realize there is life after drugs. We need to offer better worker training and education programs. And finally we need to work with these inmates from the day they enter the facility, not wait until they are 2 years from release to finally pay some attention to their issues. I think if we worked on these issues our reoffender population would go down.

lilithinwaiting
07-13-2007, 10:31 AM
I agree with you , loves to travel, on the fact that we need to get to the root of the problem .. People have addictions because there is a problem. The system seems bent on punishing not giving help.

justus1
07-13-2007, 12:55 PM
I agree with you , loves to travel, on the fact that we need to get to the root of the problem .. People have addictions because there is a problem. The system seems bent on punishing not giving help.

Because that is what the American people began screaming for some years ago...and when taxpayers scream, politicians listen. In most states, the head of your DOC is the Governor of your state. Oh sure, he has a Superintendent or Director of the DOC under him who does the work, but the governor is still the head. He appoints the Superintendent of DOC's spot, so it's someone who will do as he/she is told.

I worked in corrections, and I know how it works. I was on the job when the pendulum swung from rehabilitation all the way back to punishment. People everywhere were screaming about how we were too lax on the inmates, that they had it "too good" on the inside...after all, they had medical and dental care, three square meals a day, sports like basketball, and oh my, we can't forget CABLE. I don't know WHERE they got this "picture" of the inside, maybe it was from a 60 minutes special on FEDERAL PRISONS, in which some ARE more like resorts than prison, but state facilities are NO club feds.

For instance the general public has no idea that in a lot of states, the doctors that service these prisons are often times on probation..one step away from losing their right to practice medicine on the general public, yet they can practice on inmates. Dental????? That's a laugh. Yes, there is a dentist on contract, but it's not something the inmates have daily or even weekly access to. MAYBE monthly. I saw inmates with teeth so infected, so abscessed that the puss was running out into their mouths, and they had been waiting for weeks THEN for an appointment with the dentist being given generic tylenol for their pain.

Three squares? I hardly call the muck these guys are fed, "square meals". My animals eat better.

As for cable? Yes, a lot of facilities have it. But these are situations where either there is ONE television per tier, per dayroom/activity room and the CO's "control" the controller. They choose what is watched and what isn't. They also control the volume. In some prisons, inmates can earn the right to have their own television in their cell. Many of them can't afford such a luxury item, nor can their family members afford to provide it for them.

In short, the general public has absolutely NO idea what it is actually like inside of a state facility. Unless they have a loved one or close friend incarcerated, they don't even know what it looks like in a visiting area, they have no idea what it looks like beyond the first door you enter. They do NOT know what they are talking about.

Yet...because they are taxpayers, they dictate how our prisons are run in this country.

All one has to do is look at the numbers of people incarcerated in our country today, over 2,000,000!!!, to see that it's NOT working. Their HARSH PUNISHMENT/LONGER SENTENCES is NOT working. Yet they just keep adding on longer and longer sentences. Which is the wrong thing to have been doing from the get go. Now, putting murderers and other violent offenders to the side for a moment, anyone else who has broken the law...drug user, theif, etc., shouldn't serve over one year on the inside on their first bid. If prison is going to work as the deterrent that we want it to, then no more than 12 months for first timers. You might be asking why. Because the shock wears off after that and they simply adapt to their surroundings. Human beings are adaptable creatures. We can adapt to things that may seem unbelievable, but remember that our first and foremost concern is staying alive. Not HOW we live. So we adapt. Once they adapt, any deterrent prison was ever going to be on them, has passed. You're wearhousing them and wasting money hand over fist.

Why sentence someone - 10 to 20 years for pot, for god's sakes when rapists, childmolesters and murderers often get a slap on the hand and a ham sandwhich for being good.

This is an extremely untrue statement. Rapists, child molesters are not getting "slapped on the wrist". If anyone is watching the news you would know that they are getting exorbitant sentences, and for those types of violent crimes, they SHOULD be. The biggest problem with that is that not all sex offenders have even touched a child, let alone hurt one, but they are being treated by the court system as if they have.

I can't speak for murderers, because I have no personal knowledge there.

But I do know that sex offenders, especially with the new legislation under the Adam Walsh Act, are being punished severely, whether they hurt a child, or even forcibly raped someone or not. Many of them are incarcerated for statutory rape.

They are also the ONLY felon who, upon the government's whim, can have more punishment added on to them for the ONE crime they committed, were convicted of, and served their punishment for, YEARS after that punishment was served.

So, please, don't talk to me about "slaps on the wrist" for sex offenders. It's more like an anvil on their heads (picture a Roadrunner cartoon with Wile E. Coyote looking up at the rock that's going to fall on his head...SPLAAAT). Not to even mention what happens to their family members, simply because they choose to continue to love them. The general public can't seem to understand that it's possible to love the person, and abhor the act they committed. I'm sure it's the same for anyone who loves the perpetrator of ANY crime.

People who commit crimes weren't "hatched". That simply means that ALL OF THEM, and I don't care what crime they were convicted of, they ALL have mothers, fathers, possibly siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents...well, you get the picture. A felon doesn't stop being your son, simply because he committed a felony.

It's been more than proven that inmates who have familial love and support have a MUCH better chance of making it when they get released and not coming back. That's how important that love connection is.

It does not one ounce of positive good to discuss who's crime was worse than another's and who's crime deserves the most time.

The positive good that I've seen in this thread is the references to REHABILITATION. It worked. Not on everyone, no, but it did work for A LOT of people. In my opinion, it was better to have rehabilitated and had a positive affect that kept 10 inmates from returning to a life of crime, than to have all of them come back.

Contrary to popular belief, due to the lies perpetrated by the media and vote prostituting politicians, sex offenders can be rehabilitated too. There are some really good sex offender treatment programs out there, and they are working. Are they working on every single offender? Of course, I cannot say that. There are NO absolutes. But are we to not even try? Are we to throw away those that it WILL work for because of the ones that it won't?

That's where American's minds seem to be today. Human beings are disposable.

God Help us all.

odoc_mouse
07-15-2007, 05:40 PM
In response to Onry's 5-12-07 post regarding the release of inmates who had days taken and then were granted some if not all days back to kick them out of the system.

I do not think that a person who has recieved a misconduct and had days taken should be given those days back if it will release him for the most part. There are plenty of people in prison who are on level 4, have never received a misconduct, are exemplary inmates who receive high job evaluations and excellents on their quarterly adjustment reviews who I would release over someone who STILL CANNOT abide by the rules of their society (A prison is like a mini-me of our regular society, so if they can't behave themselves there, then they are DEFINITELY not ready to go back out on the streets.). I say, let the ones out who have earned it, even if they have not completed their sentence. Those who continue to get misconducts just prove that they are not ready to be a productive member of society and need more time to "think about what they did wrong and make positive behavioral changes" before being granted release.

dragonflydmp
07-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Odoc, I agree with you in part, but not completely. My husband is a level 4 and has had one misconduct on his first day at LCF and has so far knocked 4 1/2 years off his sentence through programs and other earned credits. Absolutely I think he's earned his way out, but I'm biased of course.

However, I do know that at times it has been very hard for him to not get caught up in things. His one misconduct was on his first day in prison, never in prison before, and they put him in a cell with someone not of his race. Apparently this is something the guards will purposely do sometimes to see what happens. He was told this could happen while he was at Lexington and he was prepared for it. He refused housing. Basically, he was "coached" at Lexington by those who had been in the system before that the gang lines are drawn and even if he did not want to become affiliated, he had to make that housing choice if faced with it. He has never joined a gang and has been very careful not to associate much in those circles, but he did lose credit for county time served and was kept at a lower level for a while because he refused that housing on his first day. We have never lived like that. We don't know "gangs" where we are from. Lines aren't drawn in our everyday life. This was new to him, but he was well aware of what would happen if he did not refuse that housing. That earned him some protection from those of his same race in prison. Let's be honest about prison. It is not anything like our life out here. Survival is completely different. There are those that will do anything to keep someone from leaving on parole. There are those that will fight just because it's what they do in there. Guys who never ever thought of joining a gang in "real life" will join or associate with them in there for protection and then have their parole denied because of those associations. I had no idea it was like that in there until my husband went in. He had never been in prison before and we are from a small town where those things don't go on in our county jail either. There are some things that can keep an inmate in prison by taking away earned credits just because he's trying to survive. It's sad.

lilithinwaiting
07-16-2007, 10:26 AM
May I ask what "CURE" is?

JKB's Girl
07-16-2007, 10:36 AM
May I ask what "CURE" is?

OKCURE is part of a larger prisoner support/information group. To learn more about CURE and to sign up for the emails, visit OKCURE on the internet.

I have been to one or two meetings and I think CURE is a great thing, but needs more people attending and getting involved.

onry
07-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Prison is not like a mini-me of society. have you ever been inside or worked inside a facility?
These men and women are living in a controlled environment where they are told when to wake up, when to eat, when to shower, when to go to sleep. They get used to someone else telling them what to do and when to do it, so much so, that upon release they are ,often times, freaked out at the least little decision they have to make on their own.
Prison today is not about reform no matter how many staff try to preach it. To reform that would require complete retraining of DOC staff from bottom to top to change the line of thinking they have been taught about inmates.

You also have to keep in mind that prison just like the real world is not all black and white there is TONS of gray areas, sometimes an inmate can recieve a write up just for being caught in the cross fire when a staff member is having a bad day and comes up with some BS to write him up for. I do know that this happens inside alot, personal feelings do get in the way and cost inmates time.
the actions of the staff in writing misconducts that are not warranted and the sanctions imposed by the hearing officer are sometimes more severe than the violation so keep that in mind also.

The time being restored for some inmates is for misconduct for such things as smoking in cells (when they were allowed to do that kind of thing) getting fired from a job ect....
just for FYI the state legislators were pretty upset when they were told that 'INMATE JOE" could have gone home in jan but he was being held until the following jan because he was wirtten up for smoking in an unauthorized area or maybe had a cig on him and was given 30 days DU and lost 365 days good time. this is high cost to the tax payers and could be handled in other ways besides taking away time.
I did not say that i was in support of any of this, i was simply stating what is being done to clear bed space. You are kidding yourself if you think that keeping them in only gives them more time to think about what they did wrong. it only gives them more time to learn new behaviors and things from the other inmates.
I agree that each is an individual and should not be held accountable because of the actions of others. but in this society the belief seems to be guilty until proven innocent and lock them up and throw away the key. statistics have proven that you can release a person who has committed the most violent crime once in his life and release the "knotheaded " inmate and the knothead is 50 times more likely to reoffend than the rate for the violent one time offender at 2 percent

JMO

thanks

In response to Onry's 5-12-07 post regarding the release of inmates who had days taken and then were granted some if not all days back to kick them out of the system.

I do not think that a person who has recieved a misconduct and had days taken should be given those days back if it will release him for the most part. There are plenty of people in prison who are on level 4, have never received a misconduct, are exemplary inmates who receive high job evaluations and excellents on their quarterly adjustment reviews who I would release over someone who STILL CANNOT abide by the rules of their society (A prison is like a mini-me of our regular society, so if they can't behave themselves there, then they are DEFINITELY not ready to go back out on the streets.). I say, let the ones out who have earned it, even if they have not completed their sentence. Those who continue to get misconducts just prove that they are not ready to be a productive member of society and need more time to "think about what they did wrong and make positive behavioral changes" before being granted release.

lilithinwaiting
07-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Since the over crowding problem is still going on, could some of the problem be that Oklahoma does take in so many from other states?

T&O
07-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Since the over crowding problem is still going on, could some of the problem be that Oklahoma does take in so many from other states?

Well, in Sayre (North Fork Correction Facility), the reason inmates from other states is there is because Oklahoma wasn't the highest bidder for the facility. CCA bid higher and they're shipping inmates there from lots of other states.

I'm not sure if Oklahoma has inmates from other states in different prisons though.

txspitfire
07-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Amen & Amen Orny

mike's angel
08-02-2007, 05:18 PM
RESPONSE TO T&O:
Yes, I've been talking to a woman, can't remember her name, but her husband is from Oklahoma and serving time in Colorado.....she's in Oklahoma.

Well, in Sayre (North Fork Correction Facility), the reason inmates from other states is there is because Oklahoma wasn't the highest bidder for the facility. CCA bid higher and they're shipping inmates there from lots of other states.

I'm not sure if Oklahoma has inmates from other states in different prisons though.

irshnrse
08-19-2007, 12:51 PM
It's my husband that is in Colorado. We are from OK. He was sentenced in OK and moved to Colorado.

mike's angel
08-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm sorry, I haven't heard anything but which prison are you talking about? My fiance is in North Fork Correctional Facility in Sayre, OK, but is actually a Colorado inmate....

T&O
08-19-2007, 12:54 PM
It's my husband that is in Colorado. We are from OK. He was sentenced in OK and moved to Colorado.

That's SO odd because my husband was sentenced in Colorado and moved to Oklahoma!

irshnrse
08-19-2007, 12:58 PM
I know...numbs the mind, huh?
My husband was not sent due to overcrowding though. Oklahoma hates him! They don't want him and so Colorado accepted him. OK is paying them around $200/day to house him. We had no say in the matter.

mike's angel
08-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by irshnrse

I don't remember if you told me or not, but why did they move your hubby to Colorado from Oklahoma?

mike's angel
08-19-2007, 01:02 PM
All I know is if my baby were in Colorado where he is supposed to be, I wouldn't have to ride a stinking Greyhound bus for a total of 62 HOURS just to visit him! But it's all worth it! Why doesn't anyone know anything about the Colorado boys being moved back to Colorado? I was told it was from overcrowding and they were building a new prison, but Mike heard that they (oklahoma) signed another 5 year contract on top of the 5 year one they alredy have. Are they going to be stuck in Oklahoma for 5 or 10 years??? But you know how rumors are spread throughout prison. If that's the case, I'm moving to Oklahoma and not Colorado!!!

irshnrse
08-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Believe me, I know. Our max prison is only 2 hours from me, compared to the 700 miles I drive now.

mike's angel
08-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Even if I lived in Colorado he'd still be 10 hours, but that's better than 17! I am so looking forward to getting out of Montana!!! I hate it here!

irshnrse
08-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Yep, it sucks. Plus Colorado keeps him locked down 23 hours a day for absolutely no reason and OK would let him be on the mainline. I try not to focus on it too much, because it doesn't help the matter. We are just really working on getting OK to parole him to a Federal prison because he has state and federal sentences. OKDOC complains about how broke they are and if they sent him to the feds, they would get a little money back...$200/day!

mike's angel
08-19-2007, 01:12 PM
That's ridiculous! The best of luck to you both!

irshnrse
08-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks, you too.

Lexy 2
05-08-2008, 11:23 PM
The economy is falling. They cannot afford to build more prisons. I heard recently that they are looking into deporting incarcerated prisoners who are not US citizens to make more space. There is also a new bill being introduced to congress to reintroduce federal parole.