View Full Version : Some General mailroom Q's for Avenal

madather
04-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi,
My best friend has been at Avenal about a week now, he was transferred from SQ where the mail to him was very, very slow, three weeks to a month during normal times. I read on another thread that the mail is usually taking 7 to 14 days to get to them, there at Avenal. Is this correct thinking? Also, I read the Avenal mail rules, but am wondering how picky they are. SQ was fairly easy, only had one thing sent back to me. Any input would be great!
Thank you!
Madather

Jordanrae
04-28-2007, 11:47 AM
We've definitely had our "slow" mail times here at Avenal, but right now - it's the fastest I've ever seen it. His letters are taking two days to get to me - and mine - are getting to him in a record 4 DAYS!!!!! I have been sooo pleasantly surprised with this!! Hope that gives you an idea......and let's hope it keeps up!! It's great!!

Hi,
My best friend has been at Avenal about a week now, he was transferred from SQ where the mail to him was very, very slow, three weeks to a month during normal times. I read on another thread that the mail is usually taking 7 to 14 days to get to them, there at Avenal. Is this correct thinking? Also, I read the Avenal mail rules, but am wondering how picky they are. SQ was fairly easy, only had one thing sent back to me. Any input would be great!
Thank you!
Madather

bernadette
04-28-2007, 11:50 AM
My husband just got transfered out of Avenal and yes the mail can be slow but he got his mail within a week
no glitter on anything it will be sent back

zunigan
04-28-2007, 05:46 PM
I got a letter in two days, not sure how long mine take to get there!

mightbe5150
05-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Hello,

I talked to the mail room in April and you can send 300 sheets of paper, 5 clear pens, 5 pencils, 20 stamps, 25 envelopes or (instead of stamps and envelopes) 20 pre stamped envelopes. It took him about 10 days to get the packages. I sent him 3 over a period of 3 days and he got them all. I also sent him Newsweek, National Geographic, and Men’s Health and he got his first magazine.

Hope that helps,
Terri

madather
05-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks everyone, I have sent a couple of cards to him (since he calls so often, we cut down on writing for a while!) and he seems to be getting them in just about a week. That is so cool from the three weeks to a month it took at San Quentin! Hope you all have a great day!
Madather

theycallmecc
07-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi All,

I am sharing my story, because about one week ago I sent a similar envelope to my son. Today it was waiting for me at my door step. :(
The problem was the envelope (even though the contents were acceptable) it was a golden colored shipping "Bubble-Padded" office-type envelope.
If you are going to mail a correspondence package to your love-one, use the regular Post Office cardboard priority mail envelope. :thumbsup:

CC

Hello,

I talked to the mail room in April and you can send 300 sheets of paper, 5 clear pens, 5 pencils, 20 stamps, 25 envelopes or (instead of stamps and envelopes) 20 pre stamped envelopes. It took him about 10 days to get the packages. I sent him 3 over a period of 3 days and he got them all. I also sent him Newsweek, National Geographic, and Menís Health and he got his first magazine.

Hope that helps,
Terri

braceface07
07-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Are u serious....they must have changed this as of this week...because I sent my honey one just like that with pictures in it..and I have used the white envelope with the bubble padding...and I have sent him letters in the golden colored envelope without the padding in it....

braceface07
07-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Are u serious....they must have changed this as of this week...because I sent my honey one just like that with pictures in it..and I have used the white envelope with the bubble padding...and I have sent him letters in the golden colored envelope without the padding in it....

braceface07
07-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Sorry I posted twice...I never had a problem with my mail I send...I sent him 40 stamps, 50 envelopes and two pack of paper all in one envelope and he got it without no problems, in a golden bubble padded envelope... I get his mail in two days...he gets mine within a week....i send letters off on wednesdays...he gets them on mondays....

theycallmecc
07-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Yep.. I am serious.. :shrug: You got me, but my package was stamped in that fabulos red ink they use "AVENAL STATE PRISON NO PADDED OR BUBBLED ENVELOPES." I am just glad I got it back so fast, when he was in the RC here in San Diego, they took 4 to 5 months to return the mail after he left the place.

Sorry I posted twice...I never had a problem with my mail I send...I sent him 40 stamps, 50 envelopes and two pack of paper all in one envelope and he got it without no problems, in a golden bubble padded envelope... I get his mail in two days...he gets mine within a week....i send letters off on wednesdays...he gets them on mondays....