View Full Version : Banned books at Polunsky-Texas Prison

e2p
04-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I was wondering if there is a list of the books that are banned at Polunsky/TDC. I looked on the TDC website and couldn't find one. I know I can call the mailroom and ask, but I hate talking to them so a list would be better LOL.

Rachel
04-26-2007, 01:39 AM
As a rough guide;
Anything describing gang activities
Anything describing rape/homosexual sex/violent sexual practices
Anything containing nudity
Anything describing drug taking
Anything about bomb making/weapons making
Some books about Prison life are also banned "You've got nothing coming" is one that won't get in.
Books that give instruction for any criminal activity
etc
etc

So that leaves you with Dr Seuss and "Little Women"!!

Most mainstream books are OK, but I have heard of Stephen King books being turned away due to sexual content, and things being stopped because they described gang activities. It varies from unit to unit, but if you are going to buy a particularly expensive book, it would be sensible to ring and check first.

RobinsMan
04-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Translation: ring = call the mail room on the phone

Rachel
04-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Yup, that was what I was trying to say!! :D
lol

Unbroken
04-27-2007, 10:41 PM
yuh, what Rach said, ummm, only with twice the authority n shtuffz!
*grins

Unbroken
04-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Actually, from my experience, it depends on the mail room from unit to unit...I've had some of my art allowed as far as sending it out to people who requested work, then had it (the same piece) denied upon return for changes made to the design. Might sound strange, but I've actually had art denied on the basis that it "exagerated" the female body. Go figure! haha!
*shrugz, it could happen to anyone?

Ummm, just for those who might be wondering, I do some tattoo designs on occasion 0.o

zagava1
04-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Speaking from experience, it does depend on each mailroom. I sent my son a book and it was denied, but he found it in the library at his unit. Go figure. I have quit trying to figure out anything that TDCJ does.

abuelokennedy
08-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Is there a place to find the phone numbers for the mail room at different units? I need to mail in some books to the Polunsky, Stiles, and Lynaugh units in particular.
Thank you for this forum.

Muddycats
08-25-2008, 12:27 PM
This link might help. It's TDCJ's website unit directory. Just find the unit you want and click. There should be phone numbers listed for unit information.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/unitdirectory/All.htm

putergirl
09-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Has anyone had an issue with a book being denied because they thought the book was sent via a person rather than a company?
I sent my husband a used book through Amazon and when the book arrived, it had a different name on it so the mail room people denied it.
I just sent the invoices showing that I purchased the book through Amazon so I hope that helps!!!

GraysonMom
09-04-2008, 01:47 AM
I know I've posted this before, but only God knows where??? I called the mail room and got persmission for 3 books. Stupid me did not document the ladies name and she read two of the expensive books I bought my son. He only received one of them. FYI: Document the date, time, and who you spoke to and what books were approved. I've got a journal going. Still with all that "Who will they Believe"??? Prison reform very much needed. I mean a list of books would be most helpful to families? Maybe I'm still to new and naive? But this is almost to much to believe. Every Family in America would be wise to view PTO prior to anything happening in their life or family's, a real eye opener. Didn't mean to ramble or know how that got started, sorry. Just wanted to comment on books. God bless as always :o:o

Stray
10-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Has anyone sent any mystery type books to Polunksy? I have a friend there and he loves mysteries and I was thinking of sending him something for Christmas and I'd like to pick something he'd likely receive!:D

Also, if you order through Amazon (or any of the bigger companies) does your invoice information go to the prison as well? When I order stuff online I get my receipt with all my information sent to me with my order and was curious to know what info would be sent to the prison. I've never sent a gift like this before and am not sure what to expect!

Thanks!

Greeneyes67
10-29-2008, 10:32 PM
I have sent mystery novels and there wasn't a problem.
I put my address as the billing address with amazon, get my bills per e-mail and that is that:) Not sure what info exactly also goes with the book- I never cared, but the books always got there.
Hope this helps