View Full Version : Montgomery Bill - Passed?

babygurl919
04-17-2007, 10:18 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this, but has anyone heard anything about something called the Montgomery Bill being passed yesterday (April 16, 2007)? The Montgomery Bill, from what I understand, is a bill that allows certain New York State inmates to serve 65% instead of 85% of their time.

I haven't heard or read anything about it recently, but my husband said there's been a bunch of talk around his prison that it got passed and he wanted me to see if I could find out any solid info. I figured if anyone would know, you ladies here at PTO would. :D So... does anyone know anything about this or do you think it's just wishful thinking?? :confused:

LADYCEE
04-17-2007, 11:20 PM
No I haven't heard of this bill did you find anything about it on the web.

JIHADSWIFEY4EVA
04-18-2007, 10:34 AM
No I Havent Either Where Do U Suppose We Start To Look? Maybe State Legislator Web? Do You Have That Link? I Hope So Because Maybe My Boo Will Qualify Not Only My Hubby But All Lets Hope So ... So That These Men Can Come Home To Us
Smoochesoooooooooxxxxxxxxxxxx

kdiamondz
04-18-2007, 10:37 AM
If you have the bill # you can look under NYS Senate Bills

Ken'sWife
04-18-2007, 11:26 AM
http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/

Here is where you can looki it up.

barbie16118
04-18-2007, 11:59 AM
a pen pal of mine from NY just mentioned this to me, but he really didnt know what was going on with it. i hope its true

laflor
04-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Perhaps you have the name wrong because the Montgomery Bill is for Veterans who are seeking educational benefits.

babygurl919
04-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses! I tried looking up the bill online, and the only thing I can find is something from February 2006 (http://www.nyssenate18.com/press_archive_story.asp?id=468) (http://www.nyssenate18.com/press_archive_story.asp?id=468%29).

I'm assuming if they passed something like this, it would've been in the news and everyone would've known about it. So I guess it's still just wishful thinking for now. :cool: Oh well... thanks again for everyone's help. :thumbsup:

weisterbunny
04-23-2007, 08:37 PM
There is a Merit Time bill that was just sent back out of the Senate. It was sent to Crime Victims for ammendment and review, whatever that means...probably means they squash it. Keep watching for it.

FYI - Montgomery Bill - is so named for Senator Montgomery who has several bills that he is sponsoring.

minmin
06-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Does anyone have a definate answer yet about the 65% thingy? I am not really sure what it is all about...I too received a letter from my boyfriend and he asked me to find out more...That he was told the new law was passed about the 65% thing and he may get out sooner than we thought....Anyone have any details???
Thank you

kdiamondz
06-01-2007, 02:51 PM
this is the merit bill and it has not yet been passed. Sen Montgomery got it through her committee and has ordered that it be sent to the Crime & Corrections Committee.

minmin
06-06-2007, 05:48 PM
The Merit bill has been approved for awhile - there is a NEW bill that is waiting in the sideline to be passed..They are hoping to have it passed by September...(The one that is being talked about alot - 65%)

Rbear
06-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Do you know if there are any petitions for this bill?

I wasn't sure where to post this, but has anyone heard anything about something called the Montgomery Bill being passed yesterday (April 16, 2007)? The Montgomery Bill, from what I understand, is a bill that allows certain New York State inmates to serve 65% instead of 85% of their time.

I haven't heard or read anything about it recently, but my husband said there's been a bunch of talk around his prison that it got passed and he wanted me to see if I could find out any solid info. I figured if anyone would know, you ladies here at PTO would. :D So... does anyone know anything about this or do you think it's just wishful thinking?? :confused:

misstwin
06-18-2007, 10:48 AM
yeahhh whats going on with this?? my man mentioned it to me and asked me to look it up. it wont let me click the link to see the info. can someone please explain this better to me?

TWOTICKETS73
06-18-2007, 11:39 PM
there is a post earlier with the link a web site for bills, posted by Ken,s wife. I found it helpful. It has a couple different bills pending approval. click to bill search and legislation search. type in merit under key words a couple of bills pop up. Some of them are supported by montgomery. I hope this helps...

Ken'sWife
06-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Montgomery Bill is S3578 and we need for it to be rewritten! It is not as good as it appears. Things in it need to be reworked before it becomes law. It could mean no more CR dates and people doing more time than CR dates. Read the bill, you will see it has got the basics we would like, but the apecifics are ambigitious and scary.

weisterbunny
06-27-2007, 06:38 AM
I checked last night, it doesn't say if it was passed or not. The webset says that it was "referred to corrections on 1/31/07" whatever that means. It also says "effective date 19th day after signed into law". This is what My hubby heard in the yard..."someone from administration at his facility said they heard it was passed, just waiting for it to be signed". Now that the legislative session is over for the summer, it may have to wait until they come back in September, which won't help us then. We can keep hoping and praying!!

kdiamondz
06-27-2007, 06:45 AM
referred to crime & corrections means it was referred to the committee for review and that it may or may not then be presented to the assembly & senate for a vote.

It did not get to the voting stage so that next year (september) we will have to start all over again.

This bill or one like it has been up for review for severl years now and cannot seem to get past the committee stage.

JJ0205
07-11-2007, 10:49 PM
its up to get voted on in august

minmin
07-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Is there anything we or I can do to push for it to be approved?Cause anything I can do to get it passed - I will do!

angelsgrl
07-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Hello everyone my husband is in Fishkill and he just mentioned this to me to do research, I also found the Merit Law, however the law he is referring to if passed should be done in September of this year, which would give recent parole hearing inmates which received hits to have immediate new hearings for release for good behavior inmates

minmin
07-15-2007, 01:29 PM
If the new law is passed in September - EXACTLY how will affect inmates who have done at least 65% already?This good time comes off of the Minimum or the Maximum time?And the % that is to be served of the sentence comes off of the Min or Max time?And what if the inmates that served at least 65% already dont have their programs done yet due to not being able to getting in them yet?Am I making any sense????My mind is going crazy - I have a few questions and dont know where to get them answered...They probably dont make sense....

I am wondering what it will mean for my man...His Minimum was 3 1/2 years - Maximum 7 yrs...He has already served 2 yrs....Sooo, that current 85% - does that come off the Minimum or the Maximum of the sentencing?And I thought they were trying to get it changed to 65% of the time had to be served?And my man has been pushin the issue to get his programs done but they keep tellin him he has to wait until 2008 before he can start the TWO that are mandatory...So say this new Law/Bill is passed and it were to benefit him, it wouldnt because he still has not done those TWO programs...Right???

Ok, I am gonna shut up now!I am starting to confuse myself :)

If anyone understands me feel free to answer any of my questions :)

Thanx

Frankie68
07-17-2007, 12:32 AM
Awwwww so my dream of him showing up at my doorstep unexpectedly still lives on :) (I'm here doing some heavy duty praying)

aroundawaygyrl2
09-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Any updates on this law being passed yet? My man just asked me to look up some info on it because where he's locked up, everybody's sayin it should be passed this month.

Lexi74
09-19-2007, 07:31 AM
check out this link - hopefully it works!!! :D

www.correctionalassociation.org/WIPP/press/Fall-06-counterbalance.pdf

Lexi74
09-19-2007, 07:32 AM
check out this link - hopefully it works!!! :D

www.correctionalassociation.org/WIPP/press/Fall-06-counterbalance.pdf

It works, you have copy and paste it into your web browser.

aroundawaygyrl2
09-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Okay I viewed that thread but it only pertains to inmates that were victims of abuse. So is this what the Montgomery bill only pertains to? If so, that excludes almost the majority of the population in prison.

RecosWife
09-20-2007, 09:50 AM
I saw this yesterday also, and I didn't know the Bill was for that only.
If it is then its no good for my situation. That stinks!

Lexi74
09-20-2007, 01:29 PM
http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=S02116

Well, this is probably the one you are talking about then. Looks like it is still just a bill - no law yet. Pretty vague too, don't you think? Should have more verbage to clarify - seems as though it is left up to the commissioner and is not really much of a law other than for some of the politicians to say it's on the books...

aroundawaygyrl2
09-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the info!

kdiamondz
09-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Just got an answer from Sen Montogomery's office, this bill is being revised and they hope to have it to crimes and corrections before the end of the year

PTO-92958
09-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the update, K, I have people asking me about this often and had no answer until now. :thumbsup:

bizzyswife4lyfe
11-25-2013, 08:52 PM
okay so its 2013 any news on this bill making it to law?

Irish Girl
11-26-2013, 07:07 PM
No. Nothing has changed, it has not passed.

Momma Ann
11-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Again this bill has been proposed and died in committee for at least the last 8 years.