View Full Version : Prison not delivering his packages!

cajnmaiden
04-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Back in February I sent a package of paperback books (John Grisham novels) to my brother who is in Claiborne Parish Detention Center. It was delivered 2/5/07. I know this because I've called three times and spoken to a lady in the mailroom who assured me the package was there but just had not been approved for delivery by the person in charge of doing this. This lady also told me that I wouldn't believe the number of packages that were sitting there that this person had not approve for delivery...and for no apparent reason! My brother did ask her about the package and she suggested he fill out another request form (I assume she lost the first one!) so he did. About a week ago he asked her about the package again and she told him she didn't have a package of books for him! I KNOW this is BS so what is the next step? I'm really getting mad now. :angry:This is MY money they are messing with! LOL Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do?:mad: :banghead:

big mama 69
04-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Did the books come straight from a publishing company,or did you just send some books from home? They HAVE TO come from a publishing co.!!!

cajnmaiden
04-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Big Mama 69,
The books were delivered from Amazon.com. I did call the facility BEFORE I sent them and they said it was ok to send paperback books to him as long as they were shipped straight from the bookseller, which these were. The problem isn't with the books it's with the person at the prison that is the only one that can approve the delivery of packages. I sent subscriptions for some magazines (4 different ones) for Christmas and my Mom sent a subscription for our local newspaper and he's getting all of those...but he didn't have to fill out a request for permission for the subscriptions. The lady in the mailroom said that there are tons of packages sitting there that this woman hasn't signed the approval forms for! She said there is no valid reason why not. My brother asked her about them once and she said if she hadn't sent him a reply he needed to fill out a second request..which he did...Now she says she doesn't have any books for him..which we know she does 'cause the lady I spoke to in the mailroom put her hands on them while I was on the phone. I don't want to get my brother in trouble by stirring it but it really makes me mad that she can do them this way for no reason! Wondered if anyone had a suggestion.
:confused:

DoingTimeinLove
04-15-2007, 06:22 PM
there is not much you can do unless you have a tracking number for the package. If you do have a tracking number you will be able to track the package to the facility. Then at least you will have proof that the package actually went there. "The lady" you spoke to the first time wont be able to help you .. all it did was prove something to you but what she said to you wont mean anything to anyone else. I sort of went through the same situation.. except it was for something my fiance went to jail with (a very expensive cross chain) and now it can't be found... When I asked the warden of the facility he was in at the time she said that she didn't know what I was talking about all she knew is that he couldn't have it with him... So that chain is now long gone.. Thats what happens in these facilities .. our family members are nothing but a number.

cajnmaiden
05-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Well, they finally gave my brother the books that I sent him! They arrived at the prison Feb 5th ( I did have a tracking number and talked to the Post Office there there delivers the mail to the prison) but it was May 15 before he got them! I told him I'd send him another box but he'd probably be out before he got them! LOL

Good news is they made him a Trustee this past week! He was SO excited when he called me to tell me about it! He is so glad to have something to do during the day besides sit on his bunk and watch Soaps! LOL

DoingTimeinLove
05-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Glad to hear he finally received the books!! About darn time.. wonder what was the problem. The mail clerk probably took them home and read them herself lol.

That's awesome that he is now Trustee!! Great news!!