View Full Version : HB 4548 Hearings/Help Request

mabear
04-13-2007, 11:44 PM
I received the following message from AFSC Penny Ryder.

Below is a note to people regarding the hearing on Wed. for HB 4548. The DOC will probably take up most of the time available and CAPPS will then follow. There will probably not be much time for other testimony. It is our understanding from CAPPS that there will be a committee to iron out the bill before it is taken up in committee again. What goes on in the committee is of most importance as the DOC is opposed to the bill. It is very important for any of you who have information about the issues taken up in the bill to write your state legislator and make your thoughts known. Please read below from Barb.

Dear CAPPS Supporters:

A bill that would enact many of our suggestions for improving and enforcing the parole guidelines has been introduced in the state House of Representatives. House Bill 4548 is being sponsored by Rep. Paul Condino, who is the chairperson of the House Judiciary Committee.

Among other things, the bill would:

State that parole decisions should implement the sentencing judge’s intent
Require the MDOC to statistically validate any factors said to predict the risk of re-offending
Allow the guidelines to give positive points for family support, deportation orders and out-of-state detainers
Require that scores be calculated for anyone who is parole-eligible, including lifers
Permit appeals to the courts by people who score high probability of release on the guidelines but have been denied parole
Require that interviews of people with high guidelines scores be recorded and that continuances of people with high scores (except lifers) be limited to 12 months.

HB 4548 will not prevent the board from continuing someone if there is objective evidence that the person is currently a threat to the community. But it will help make the parole decision-making process fairer and more accountable. Over time it could result in several thousand more people being released and tens of millions of taxpayer dollars being freed up for other critical services.

Please click on www.capps-mi to go the CAPPS website, then go to “Parole Guidelines” in the navigation menu. There you will find a copy of the bill and several documents that explain its purpose in more detail. If you still have questions, contact Gail Light at glight@capps-mi.org.

The House Judiciary Committee will hear testimony on HB 4548 on April 18th. There will not be a vote that day. Thus there will be a limited amount of time for people to make comments before the bill is considered again and, hopefully, voted out of committee.

This is your chance to help get legislation passed. Please write to your representative and urge him or her to support HB 4548. For tips on writing letters to legislators, go to “Legislative Links” on the CAPPS home page. That link also includes the selection: “Find Your Legislators.”

Representatives from both parties need assurance that their constituents want HB 4548 enacted. Hearing from an organization like CAPPS is never enough. They need to hear from you. So please contact your representative and send CAPPS a copy of your letter or e-mail.

Thank you for helping to get this done!!!

Barbara Levine, executive director
Citizens Alliance on Prisons & Public Spending

mabear
04-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Standing Committee Meeting

Judiciary, Rep. Paul Condino, Chair

Date: 04/18/2007

Time: 9:00 AM

Place: 521 House Office Building, Lansing, MI

Agenda:
HB 4548 (Condino) Corrections; parole; certain improvements and enforcements of parole guidelines; provide for.

To view text of legislation go to
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(hqbhd1f1rn5u3ii2hei52fei))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=2007-HB-4548

Individuals who wish to bring written testimony need to supply a minimum of thirty copies for distribution.

Individuals needing special accommodations to participate in the meeting may contact the Chair's office.

Committee Clerk: Malika Abdur-Rashid
Phone: 517-373-7256

ilovecharles
04-17-2007, 06:56 PM
I spoke with Ms. Light today about tomorrows hearing. I will be attending and i do have my testimony (to be distributed). I will take the best notes i can.
i work tomorrow 3-11p so i should be able to post what was said.

debbee214
04-17-2007, 07:08 PM
bless your heart, caroline.

ilovecharles
04-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Hey~

I just wanted to drop a note and say that the meeting was fantastic. it was short...ended at 1030am.

Condino is supporting the HB 4548 COMPLETELY and is going to work with Sen (?) Bishop to create a committee to educate the Senators on the issue so it will pass. He said there will be many a meeting in the future to attend too so those letters to the Senators are very important (and to the Reps still too!)
It was really amazing to see a member of a murder victims family speak and tell the board that he is now (30+ years after the fact) best friends with the man that murdered his Aunt and is going to continue to support bills to release parolable lifers. there was also a woman whose son was a client of Mr. Condino's in 89. She spoke because her son (convicted of 2nd degree murder, not the "shooter" but aided in the murder at age 15) has been denied parole on several occasions and the co-defendant in the case (the one who "pulled the trigger") has been paroled since 05.
The president of the criminal defense attorney association was there and brought up points in regards to the judge sentences a convicted person to a set amount of time but the max is referenced through legislative laws; however, the parole board can the "resentence" a convicted person without the knowledge of any previous anything. (that really had them thinking)
There were a lot of questions from the committee members in direct reference to Parole Board interviews and what happens at them...It was ironic/"funny"/enlightening/scary to learn that many of our "leaders" or representatives have NO idea what happens within the MDOC. and i believe that is the cause of a lot of the issues we are currently experiencing now...because the DOC has had years without the gov't taking an active interest in policies/procedures...it has been running a muck so to speak.
Anyway, it is very exciting to see that action is beginning to take place.

dmpdbd
04-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Condino better be supporting this bill completely - it is his bill. That is the only reason it got before the subcommittee so quickly.

You are so right when you say our legislative representatives have no idea what happens in the MDOC or its prisons or with the parole board yet these are the people who go ahead and blindly make the laws that affect all of us. That is why our letters are so important.

Thanks Caroline for the report.

EJ69
04-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks Caroline for posting this info for us and also for being there. You are the best.

mslou93
04-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks Caroline for posting this info for us and also for being there. You are the best.

My thought exactly....Thank U so much!!!!!!

lady_in_grey
05-25-2007, 08:57 PM
After writing to Paul Condino inquiring as to the current action of
HB 4548, I received this e-mail today, May 25, 2007.

Thank you for your interest in House Bill 4548. The House Judiciary Committee heard testimony on HB 4548 on April 18. I directed a follow-up workgroup on the bill the following Wednesday, April 25. At that meeting, it was agreed that by June 1, the Department of Corrections would develop suggested amendments for several sections they found objectionable. At this time, I am pleased to report that the Department of Corrections has delivered their suggestions to me recently, in advance of the agreed date. I am currently in negotiations and determining the best way to proceed and reach agreement between the Legislature and the Department.

I hope this information is helpful; please do not hesitate to let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Paul Condino
State Representative
35th District
Office: (517) 373-1788
Fax: (517) 373-5880

:thumbsup: Lets keep writing those letters.

DJB's Wife
05-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the update.

ilovecharles
05-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Ditto!!!

dmpdbd
05-26-2007, 06:59 AM
At that meeting, it was agreed that by June 1, the Department of Corrections would develop suggested amendments for several sections they found objectionable.

I don't know about anybody else, but that line bothered me. It makes me wonder just how much input the MDOC has in the passage and wording of legislation. How can we possibly make any headway towards good time or any sentence reductions if the MDOC is suggesting language for the proposed bills? Don't get me wrong, I am glad this bill is moving along, but I also wonder how much it will be watered down by the time it is passed, if it makes it that far.

lady_in_grey
05-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Lets keep in mind that those are only "suggested amendments".
If we write to our Rep's and let them know how important all of the sections of this bill are, the MDOC might not have much of a chance with there objections.

deb
05-27-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm sure the MDOC doesn't want things changed as if there's fewer inside then they need fewer folks to work for the MDOC.. They have a powerful union that lobbies very well...

I hope it passes and isn't watered down but I'm not holding my breath..

Deb

downforhim
05-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Lady in Grey posted an update in HB4548, an e-mail sent by Paul Condino on 5/25/07 stating he is currently negotiating and determining the best way to proceed and reach an agreement with the Legislature and the Department (MDOC submitted suggested amendments for the bill). However, I was looking through the current bills that we are all watching and under Bill 4548 the last action was taken on 5/24/07. At the meeting on 5/24/07 it is journaled #52 and under the "NOTICES" section it reads.

I HEREBY GIVE NOTICE THAT ON THE NEXT LEGISLATIVE SESSION DAY, I WILL MOVE TO DISCHARGE THE COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY FROM FURTHER CONSIDERATION OF HOUSE BILL 4548.
REP. TOBOCMAN

So, am I confused or is this bill "dead".

ilovecharles
05-30-2007, 12:07 AM
I believe the bill is off the table in bill form. I believe that it was moved to a discussion to come to terms and agreements to set updated revisions of said bill into Policy and procedure for the MDOC...which a. saves money because there is no longer a senate/house vote necessary to activate agreed upon procedures b. helps move the process along. voting in Lansing takes a long time and hopefully this approach is faster and still able to get the job done... I dont know though, thats only my take on things.:shrug:

ilovecharles
06-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Ms. XXXX,

Thank you for your support for HB 4548. I am not sure who informed you that the bill was taken off the table, but that is simply not true.

I have engaged in discussions with the MDOC to find out where we can come to points of agreement. Nevertheless, rest assured that I will certainly continue to press for reforms that I believe are appropriate, and advancing this bill is one of those reforms.

Sincerely,

Lions Heart
06-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks for sending the letters and keeping this in the forefront of their minds, at least for a short period of time.

DJB's Wife
07-09-2007, 01:14 AM
There's some individual situations listed here http://www.capps-mi.org/parole%20denied%20revised.htm, then click on the profiles on the left side. Their situations are just unbelievable.

FrankysBaby
07-09-2007, 09:02 AM
So anything new???