View Full Version : Tipton Food Visits this month

Krackers_Lady
04-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Hello all,

Just got back from my food visit with my krazy kracker. It was a great visit and I think that he ate more then I have ever seen him eat. He got to bring a friend to the visit has well and I think that they both really enjoyed it. His guests family lives out of state so for him to have a visit it was nice to get out of his housing unit for a while. The only thing that they atethe hack out of was the meat I guess they only get the fake meat in there anf they said to get the really stuff was nice.

Well I just though I would share this with you all. really missing my kracker after this visit. so i just wanted to share.

Krackers Lady

:hee: 131 days and my kracker will be home !!! :beer:

Christy
04-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Isn't it great to cook for them or bring them something that they love? I love to see my husband eat something good, either out of the vending machine or what I have brought. It makes me feel good to be able to do that for him.

Glad you had a good food visit!

dwdawg
06-10-2007, 04:01 PM
How often are food visits at Tipton? My son has just been moved there and I would appreciate any information regarding the facility that you care to share.

nursecrachit
06-10-2007, 04:05 PM
they just had one in april and i don't think the next one is until sept. they can earn food visits if they go write up free for 6 months or if they complete a class.

nursecrachit
06-10-2007, 04:09 PM
they have 2 soda machines, 2 sandwhich machines, 2 snacks machine and 2 microwaves. oh they have a coofee machine also in the visiting room. the machine are broke more then they work. it is a strict room. cameras in the corner and they will let you know if you do so much as rub his arm. you can wait inside the buiding until visiting time starts. you may bring in a clear bag with quarters. it is always cold in the room too! you can pm me if you want any addtiional inofrmation. my husband is there.

dwdawg
06-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks nursecrachit......

We hope to make our first visit to see my son in Tipton next weekend. By then they will have had time to move him into the gp and approve our visiting applications.

Anything regarding the visit we should be aware of? What's the best day and time to visit? We have two younger children (ages 17 and 13). Should they visit their older brother?

Any comments are welcomed!

nursecrachit
06-10-2007, 05:54 PM
i go on friday,(friday visit is only 3-8) sat or sundays. visits are 9-2 or 3-8... the room is usually 3/4 full no matter when i go but there is always room. if you go at 9 on sunday there are usually more families. they would be fine to visit here. the room is clean and like i said, they are strict so the kids will never see any inappropriate behavior. ithey have cards and some games that you can play at the tables if you choose. is fathers day weekend and my husband gets a food visit, so i will be there too! the women guards are worse here then the men. there are no friendly guards here but if you obey the rules, there won't be any problems.

nursecrachit
06-10-2007, 06:00 PM
one more thing i just thought of. since it is fathers day weekend, friday or saturday am may be a better time to visit. i would imagine the room will be packed on sunday with families visiting their daddys.

dwdawg
06-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the insight.........I appreciate it greatly!

Christy
06-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks nursecrachit......

We hope to make our first visit to see my son in Tipton next weekend. By then they will have had time to move him into the gp and approve our visiting applications.

Anything regarding the visit we should be aware of? What's the best day and time to visit? We have two younger children (ages 17 and 13). Should they visit their older brother?

Any comments are welcomed!

Assuming his charge was for sexual offense against someone under 18, you should have no problem bringing your other kids. Make sure they are on the visiting list.

And, YES, they should visit thier brother. It's very important that they retain contact with him and he knows that they are still behind him.

You may want to double check to see if he can have 3 or 4 visitors at a time. Usually yes, but check anyway. You don't want to get all the way there and not be able to have all of you visit.

sag
06-12-2007, 08:36 AM
dwdawg --
Yes I would recommend that your younger kids absolutely see their brother!!! It may seem wierd at first -- forewarn your kids that they have to follow all rules -- and that it will be like being in a really strict school --- but after just one visit they will be totally comfortable! Also, check the rules -- where my son is visitors can take in school work, pictures, papers they may want to show him. As long as it is not more than 5 pieces and they have to take it back out with them.
At sccc there are also games, it makes the time nice, and my son enjoys the laughs and fun we have when we play skip bo, scrabble, etc.... It is when we feel the most like we are at home -- if they have games -- see if he feels like playing.
Also, plan to spend the whole time there -- especially if 3 or 4 of you go --everyone usually has a lot to say. 5 hours seems like a long time but it is gone before you know it.
And take the max amount of change (money) with you. With my son -- we eat somehting out of the machines with him - even if it is a bag of chips -- so he doesnt just sit there and eat alone.
Good luck -- hang in there -- and tell the kids to give him big hugs!!!

sag
06-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Oh yes one more thing -- Ddawg ---
If your son is a supposed Sex offender -- they will not let the kids under 18 see him.
BUT -- when my son was first put in SCCC they approved his 2 yr old niece at first --- and she got to see him... later they caught it and removed her from the list --
Call ahead, and if the kids are on the list --- take advantage of it --- I wouldn't point out the the CO's that they shouldn't be --- they will catch it later.
But we are grateful that at least my son got a few visit with his niece before her name was removed.... Now he will go 11 years without seeing her. He will not know her.
FYI -- my son is an alleged sex offender --- he took a plea to avoid a possible 30 years --
Girl said not consensual when her boyfriend caught them - my son said consensual -- when a prosecuting atty offers a 17 yr old a 15 year sentence -- or risk a trial and get 30 years --- you take 15.
Sorry a little TMI -- but sometimes I vent.

dwdawg
06-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the insight sag.....

The kids have already been approved to visit.........the wife and I are still waiting. It's been two weeks since we applied. Should I be concerned???

Christy
06-19-2007, 09:47 AM
They approved the kids first? I would call his caseworker and find out what the deal is. Maybe they "lost" the paperwork.

nursecrachit
06-19-2007, 08:36 PM
usually tipton is pretty quick for approval. i would call his caseworker, you may have been approved but they did not notify him.

dwdawg
06-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks ladies........

Apparently the "paperwork" got lost between R&O and GP. We have now been approved to visit the son....and plan on going this Saturday. It will be the first contact visit and we are so much looking forward to it. The wife and I, plus the two kids are all going.

Any words of wisdom before we go?

Christy
06-21-2007, 10:56 AM
That is good news and I am very glad to hear you will get to hug your son!

Tips...take change with you the first time as sometimes the change machines are not working and you don't want to have to be without! A good way to get that is to just go to a laundrymat or carwash that gives quarters. Or you could buy a few rolls from the bank. Usually it's $25 per person to take in. and it will go quick!

Another thing, make sure you wear the appropriate clothing. 'Specially the wife! No shorts higher than 2 inches above the knee, no sleeveless or sheer type tops (not that she would, but sometimes t-shirts are pretty thin) and nothing really tight. No "saying" type shirts until you see what is acceptable. Def. nothing with beer or guns or anything camo. I would advise dressing like you were going to grandma's for a bbq and don't want to offend her. If you are in doubt about clothing...change it!

Um...what else...be cautious of the rules in the visting room. Some places do not allow the offender to get up and go to the machines and almost all do not allow him to handle the money. Make sure you don't have any excess contact like long hug or knocking him in the head. Kind of watch around you to see what others are doing. Tell the kids to act like they are in church and to behave! Get the feel of the place before getting comfortable!

Words of wisdom? I dont know how wise, but I have words! :)

Go, relax, enjoy your visit. Take in every moment with your son. Talk about old times and make him know you are there to support him and you love him no matter what. Just enjoy it.

And make sure you come back and let us know how it was! Have a wonderful visit and give him a big hard hug!

nursecrachit
06-21-2007, 05:48 PM
to add to chrisy's info... at tipton, the inmate can go to the machines with you but he can not handle money. there is a restroom in the visiting room for all of you to use but if he has to go, they will take him back in the closed door and search him again. like i said before, it is always cool in the room so dress approprite. you can take in your car keys with your qtrs in a clear bag(i bought a $2 make up bag at walmart) and all of your id's. i think the kids can bring in books or papers but i am not sure about that. parking is acorss the street from the prison and its pretty easy to find.enjoy your vivist!

dwdawg
06-24-2007, 08:00 PM
The wife, 13 year old son and I got to visit the son at Tipton yesterday. It was GREAT! The lady officer at the front desk where you sign in was extremely cordial, considerate, and helpful.

I took a healthy supply of quarters in with us as suggested. Unfortunately, the two soda machines weren't working properly and were only accepting dollar bills. Needless to say, my dollar bills were left in my billfold, and it was locked away in the lockers in the lobby. :o( Oh well, didn't need the soda anyways.

The visiting room is very nice and was only about half full. We stayed the full five hours and talked the entire time. We got the "hugs" in and it felt great. The on-duty officers in the visiting room were respectful and never once had to warn anyone for inappropriate behavior. They were pretty "laid back".

As this was our first contact visit since his arrest in April, we were impressed and are so much looking forward to the next one.

And speaking of the next one.....

My sons girlfriend went to visit him today and was denied access. Although she is on his visitors list, they told her my son, according to the computer data, was only allowed one visit per month. I'm confused! He's in GP and has never had a write-up. Is this normal?

He was told by his caseworker weeks ago that he would be permited to have 8 visits a month, up to 7 visitors at a time, and could include 20 visitors on his visitors list. Does that sound right?

The girlfriend was po'd and left without seeing my son. The lady officer at the sign in desk was very apologetic, but unable to supply any information regarding visits. She suggested that my son talk with his caseworker on Monday to resolve the visiting issue.

Can anyone with loved ones at Tipton tell me their visitation data?

nursecrachit
06-24-2007, 09:12 PM
i am glad your visit went well. as i stated before, most of the time some of the machines are broken. i think the price of gas has cut down considerably on the amt of visitors. usually there is a couple of times throughout my visit where i see the co apprach a table to tell someone they have done something. they are pretty descreet about it which is nice. but they do watch very closely and i would not consider it a laid back room. i would have him contact his caseworker about the visit. he should get 8 a month as you stated. that doesn't sound right.... has he had visits by others??? it is a total of 8 a month and not by one person but for all.. did u find the place ok? i will be going again on sat or sunday.

nursecrachit
06-24-2007, 09:13 PM
one more thing i thought about.. does his gf have a record or on probation or on anyone elses visiting list by any chance???

Christy
06-25-2007, 08:00 AM
That is wonderful you had such a good visit. It really makes a difference when you can see them and touch them and hug them! I'm very happy to hear it all went well for you!

The GF thing sounds like a mix up on the system. He needs to talk to the caseworker to find out what is going on. This can happen sometimes, 'specially when the offender has just arrived. There are always screw-ups

bbwlisahar
06-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Is the girlfriend listed as a "significant other"? If not, then he needs to get her listed as that if she wants to visit on the weekend. Only immediate family (husbands, wives, children, sisters, brothers, moms and dads) can visit on the weekends. He is allowed 1 "significant other" that can visit on the weekend but he must see a case worker to change her to that if she didn't say that on the visiting paperwork she filled out.

dwdawg
06-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks to everyones response.....

When I said the officers in the visitors room were "laid back" I meant they were non-obtrusive. There were three of them in the room, along with the "eye-in-the-sky", and one was aware they were there......but they didn't hassle anyone all day. Could be because all of the guys and their visitors were so well behaved! :)

Since this was our first visit we haven't yet hit the maximum of 8 visits either individually or collectively......and yes nursecrachit....we found the place just fine......thank you. And no.....my son's girlfriend has no record and is not on parole. I don't even think she's had a parking ticket.;)

As we live relatively close to Tipton (about 1 1/2 hours away) we have hopes of visiting multiple times throughout the months. That is if they are able to resolve the visitation problem I've already described.

Christy....I'm becoming a real believer that the "screw ups" are the norm....rather than the exception. This is already the third foul up in the two months that my son has been in.

Thanks bbwlisahar for your comments. I'll ask my son that very question the next time I talk with him. I'm hoping he'll be able to visit with his case worker today to resolve this issue......then call me to let me know.

Thanks for everyones support.....I certainly enjoy sharing this experience with other people who understand. If I can be of help to others all ya gotta do is ask!

Christy
06-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks to everyones response.....

Thanks for everyones support.....I certainly enjoy sharing this experience with other people who understand. If I can be of help to others all ya gotta do is ask!

That is what we are here for! It's hard to find someone to talk to when you are in these situations. Not everyone understands or cares! But, we do!:thumbsup:

nursecrachit
06-25-2007, 08:41 PM
you are so right. the guards do not hassle. they keep it very professional but they expect everyone to follow all the rules to the smallest detail. thats ok, thats there job. i am glad you found it ok. let us know about the gf. i think they must have messed it up somehow(imagine that!). maybe i will see you there this weekend. i will be the one in the nurse uniform with the cap. NOT! no comments from you Christy! LOL.

Christy
06-26-2007, 08:22 AM
no comments from you Christy! LOL.

what? (innocent, don't listen to her...she is mean) :rolleyes:

MrsPhillips
06-26-2007, 09:35 AM

LOL Christ you Innocent :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!

nursecrachit
06-26-2007, 05:51 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, YOUR KILLING ME GIRL! I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!!!:D

Christy
06-26-2007, 06:04 PM
At least I can amuse someone! :)

MrsPhillips
06-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Yes you can.

dwdawg
06-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Got word from my son today that they fixed the problem with his girlfriend visiting him. Some sort of "mixup" in the system. Can you imagine that?:rolleyes:

While reviewing his file to resolve that issue, they determined that they needed to revoke his brothers and sisters visiting rights due to a prior conviction for misconduct. It's always something!:mad:

TCC sent me a letter of apology for approving their visitation applications.....which I thought was pretty lame. Oh well.....

Christy
06-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Got word from my son today that they fixed the problem with his girlfriend visiting him. Some sort of "mixup" in the system. Can you imagine that?:rolleyes:

While reviewing his file to resolve that issue, they determined that they needed to revoke his brothers and sisters visiting rights due to a prior conviction for misconduct. It's always something!:mad:

TCC sent me a letter of apology for approving their visitation applications.....which I thought was pretty lame. Oh well.....

a prior conviction of misconduct? That is odd. the only reason they would revoke the approval is for sex offenses against a child. I would appeal that one to the superintendent.

bbwlisahar
06-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Good to hear about his girlfriend but sorry to hear about his brother and sister. Tell them, if they are able, to keep in contact by phone and send him as many letters as possible. The latter is a slower process for sure but it will keep the lines of communication open between them.

I've found myself that it's frustrating sometimes trying to work with the DOC in this state. But I'm sure it's that way in every state. You find sometimes in order for the inmates to work within the system, their families and friends must also. You really do end up "doing time with them" and it affects everyone around them.

Keep your chin up, try to think positive, and always try to remember there is a reason for everything.

dwdawg
06-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the encouragement bbwlisahar.......stiff upper lip.....lookin straight ahead....movin on! :thumbsup:

Christy
06-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Ah...That happened to someone I know. His niece was approved and before she ever got to visit she was taken off the list. At least your son was able to visit with his siblings once!

Try to appeal to the superintendent anyway. They can and do make a case by case decision on this. Tell your son to file on it and you write a letter to them. As the parent, you have the right to say whether or not you feel comfortable with YOUR child visiting. It's worth a try, but the good news here is that he is in Tipton and that means home soon. But follow the advice and have them talk on the phone a lot and write.

How old are the other two? I think you have mentioned it, but I can't recall.

dwdawg
06-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Christy.....the brother and sister are 13 and 17 respectively.

I've learned that the son has his parole hearing scheduled for Aug 2nd.....hopefully it will result in good news.

Thanks to all..........