View Full Version : Any information on 90 day cuts?

ang3leyezz
04-01-2007, 05:19 PM
I have a question to anyone who has heard anything. I was wondering has anyone heard about the 90 day cuts. It's suppose to be that prisoners only have to serve 9 months of every year or something to that effect. This way they cut 90 days off there sentence for each year they serve. If anyone has any info let me know Thankyou!!!!:) :heart: :new:

mike's angel
04-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Let me know if you hear anything......mine has been in for 10 years! And more to go.

alize92704
04-01-2007, 10:53 PM
well my bai-b is in cci and he was given 4 yrs so hoping for the best .

mrtimmyslady
04-02-2007, 02:04 PM
How would that work with truth in sentencing?

LindsayBelle
04-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much 'good time'. My boyfriend was sentenced on 3/7/07, and his ERD is 9/3/08... But with good time, he should be out by next May. Does that make sense?

*~*Lindsay*~*

mrtimmyslady
04-02-2007, 02:51 PM
It was my impression there was no good time with the Truth in Sentencing law. Do you just mean his minimum time? He can serve anywhere between his ERD and his max. Please verify this with MrsD but I don't think he can get out before his ERD unless they reinstate time off for good behavior.

Jariel
04-02-2007, 03:32 PM
No one can get released before their ERD (earliest release date) if they are serving time in Michigan. They USED to get 90 days off per year, it was called Good Time. Michigan has eliminated Good time with the law "Truth in Sentencing".

JamiesGirl06
04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Bills 4262 and 4263 have been sent to the Judiciary Committee, but has not been acted on as of yet. That would be a great thing, but these bills have to be passed first. Because of truth in sentencing, all good time was eliminated.

mrtimmyslady
04-03-2007, 07:56 AM
That's what I thought. My BF has a lot of good time on the books that he got prior to TIS that doesn't do him any good. Doesn't stop them from waving it in his face ...

LindsayBelle
04-03-2007, 03:44 PM
OMG are you serious? So Clint's earliest release date is 9/3/08... and his max is like 21 years. But the judge who sentenced him said only 18 months, which would be his ERD.... I'm confused. Is he going to be in for that long, as long as he's good, and there's no chance he'll get out any earlier?!

*~*Lindsay*~*

Mrs.GMT
04-03-2007, 05:07 PM
My husband just got floped a year. His first time up for parole. No tickets for 3 years, all classes done and then some. Model prisoner. Floped. They can keep him for as long as his max,which is 30 years, if they wanted. There are several people on pto that have been floped several times, and for no reason. They come up with somethin. Just pray with them being so over budget that they let him come home on his ERD. Is he not elegible for bootcamp? Just hold tight Lindsey. It's a bumpy, and sometimes scary ride. And alot of thing's dont make sense. The realalistic thing is they will probably keep him until his ERD. Unless he's lucky and gets called up early. Which is very doubtful.I will pray for you and him. Is he still in reception?

EJ69
04-03-2007, 08:38 PM
LindsayBelle, As Mrs. GMT says alot of our husbands/loved ones have been floped. Some do get out on their ERD and some don't. I was told a year ago that my husband would be home in 4 months, by the judge and the lawyer guess what he just went in front of the parole board for his second time and was floped again, He is suppose to have a class that he was taking on the outside before he went in and had it half way completed but that is not good enough and the parole board will not give him parole unless he completes the class through MDOC, which we dont know why he has not been in the class being that their was no waiting list a year ago, they dont want to move him to another prison and keep saying that the class will start up at the prison he is at and still has not started. So being that it is a year class next year when he goes in front of the board they will flop him again. Just how it works. Sorry to vent on you, but I also wanted you to know a little how MDOC works. Remember I'am not saying that your boyfriend won't get out on his ERD, but their is a good chance that he won't. It is just a 50/50 chance when you go in front of the board. Also dont go and stress yourself out over this just yet, it sounds like your boyfriend has a good chance at boot camp. The best thing to do when you are living this life style is just take one day at a time.

LindsayBelle
04-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Wait a second... His minimum (what the judge sentenced him to) is 18 months, ERD 9/3/08. His max is 21 years... Does that mean that his parole will be for 21 years, his max?!?!

He has no violent or drug-related charges... I can't imagine why they would want to waste money on him sitting there for longer than he needs to.

Thanks for the prayers. They are greatly appreciated and needed!

*~*Lindsay*~*

LindsayBelle
04-03-2007, 09:28 PM
My husband just got floped a year. His first time up for parole. No tickets for 3 years, all classes done and then some. Model prisoner. Floped. They can keep him for as long as his max,which is 30 years, if they wanted. There are several people on pto that have been floped several times, and for no reason. They come up with somethin. Just pray with them being so over budget that they let him come home on his ERD. Is he not elegible for bootcamp? Just hold tight Lindsey. It's a bumpy, and sometimes scary ride. And alot of thing's dont make sense. The realalistic thing is they will probably keep him until his ERD. Unless he's lucky and gets called up early. Which is very doubtful.I will pray for you and him. Is he still in reception?

Yes, he has been at Egeler for 22 days now...

soontobewife
04-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Smiled when I read this..."I can't imagine why they would want to waste money on him sitting there for longer than he needs to."

Yes, logically, you'd think that they wouldn't want to spend the money to have an inmate stay beyond their E.R.D. But MDOC, and more specifically, the Parole Board does not operate on discernable principles of logic. Not when it comes to releasing inmates, anyway. Unfortunately, the sentencing judge and the attorney will be nowhere to be found when the Parole Board makes it decision. There are and have been many stories on this site, posted by loved ones whose inmates have been flopped. The rationale behind these flops is completely devoid of logic, in most cases.

One thing you can count on for sure is that you absolutely cannot count on your guy coming home on his E.R.D. The statistics I read for paroles being granted in Michigan in 2006 was 47%. Someone please correct me if that information is inaccurate. That is more than half of the inmates who were approaching their E.R.D. (or else they wouldn't have gone before the Board member) who did not get released, and served at least another full year - sometimes two.

Sobering thoughts, not meant to discourage, just meant to inform.

I am hoping my guy is in the lucky 47%. We are waiting to hear back from our interview with the parole board member the third week of February. They are certainly milking the 30 to 45 days they said it'd take before we hear back! :(

LindsayBelle
04-03-2007, 11:21 PM
So... if Clint does get paroled on his ERD, will he be on parole for the remainder of his sentence - as in his MAX?!

And they keep them sometimes another full YEAR?! His sentence is only 18 MONTHS! omgggggggggggggggg.

*~*Lindsay*~*

pinky85
04-03-2007, 11:41 PM
i forget where else I posted to your question but if he does get paroled out on his ERD, the normal probation is 1-2 years.

Jariel
04-04-2007, 08:09 AM
This is the problem, his MINIMUM sentence is 18 months. But his max is 25. So they could keep him for 25 years if they wanted! Now don't freak out, they won't because he's not violent or a sex offender. Those are usually the ones that get flopped. I'd say he has a very good chance of getting out at his ERD provided he has finished any classes that he's requried to take. If he is healthy get him in boot camp! They you can get him home real quick!
As for parole, average is 2 years, max is supposed to be 5 years. But if he owes restitution, techniclly they can keep him on parole till it's paid. But if he makes a good effort to pay it, he will probably get off in 2 years. (my man is in for some of the same as yours so I had to learn all this stuff too!)So... if Clint does get paroled on his ERD, will he be on parole for the remainder of his sentence - as in his MAX?!

And they keep them sometimes another full YEAR?! His sentence is only 18 MONTHS! omgggggggggggggggg.

*~*Lindsay*~*

LindsayBelle
04-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Whew... thank God. Clint is applying for bootcamp, but he asked for it when he was sentenced in the first place, and the judge said no, since he is looked at as a habitual. And according to what I have heard, you have to have the judge that originally sentenced you to approve of bootcamp... Frick.

But yeah, his charges are just larceny... Nothing sexual, nothing violent, nothing drug-related. Plus, he's only 20. And he is the most respectful person I have ever met, and he is the same way with the Corrections Officers. But I make sure in every letter to tell him to keep his nose out of trouble, and be EXTRA SUPER DUPER careful, just in case.

MomTo5
04-04-2007, 11:12 AM
They sometimes pass their ERD without getting in any trouble at all. My guy hasn't been in any trouble while he has been in, no tickets. He is polite and respectful to all the COs as well. He is still trying to finish a class that he tried to get into the entire time he's been locked up. He did everything in his power to do everything correctly so he could come home but it simply hasn't worked.

I think someone already answered it for you but I am too lazy to go back and read so I may be repeating but if the parole board flops him and he doesn't get out on his ERD it does not mean he'll go to the max. They can give him a flop for 12 months or 24 months (maybe 18 months too, I can't remember) then he'd see them again and they'd decide if they were ready to parole him or if they want to flop him again.

It isn't logical by any stretch of the imagination but it is almost as if they are being tried for their crime again. If they don't appear sorry enough, if the parole board thinks they need to serve more time for whatever reason they can keep them longer. It's nuts.

tlk'smom
04-04-2007, 01:30 PM
They are not trying to scare you or make you up set. They are just getting you perpared for what "might " happen. You have just entered a whole new world called the MDOC. I will pray for you that all goes well. Just remember we are all here use us for what we have learned along the way. We all have learned alot. Just stay strong.

mrtimmyslady
04-04-2007, 02:14 PM
My guy says the the parole board can give a thing called a "passover" which could be less than a year, too. Sorry I don't know more about it! Soontobe, if you don't mind, what was your guy's PER score? I've read on PTO that +4 and up there's a good chance for parole.

LindsayBelle
04-04-2007, 02:21 PM
What is a PER score, and does 'flop' mean that they say no to parole, and they won't let you ask the board for parole again for another 12 or 24 months, whatever they decide?

*~*Lindsay*~*

MomTo5
04-04-2007, 03:21 PM
PER is a score that takes into account the crime, past crimes if there were any, instituational record, stuff like that. The better the score, the better the chance of getting parole supposedly. Some people have a really great score though and then go before the board and try to downplay their crime or try to say they didn't do it (maybe some of them really didn't do it!) and then the board may flop them regardless of their score.

Yes, flop means they said no to a parole. Yes, I believe you can ask for a reconsideration but I don't think they normally will. I've heard that some don't like having their authority or decisions questioned and so trying to fight the flop may just cause you to end up with more flops.

Try not to worry, he might be out on his ERD without a problem. I just wanted to make sure you realized you can't count on it, it isn't set in stone. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Alumni
04-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Generally "90 day cuts" refers to the old system whereby whenever the facilities were overcrowded they would reduce the sentences of those incarcerated by 90 days. This pushed lots of folks towards the door earlier. This statute was repealed during the Engler administration. It has since become one of those "prison myths" that sure sound good - but aren't real....

soontobewife
04-04-2007, 06:48 PM
I was asked what my guy's PER score is. + 14. His counselor said he's never seen higher. But I know that that is no guarantee of a parole. His parole plan contained 3 written job offers, 3 offers for housing and a newer completely-paid-for truck to drive. He's read 42 books in 17 months, held a prison job for most of his time in and gotten excellent performance reviews, voluntarily attended 3 classes and received certificates for each, ticket-free...and still...with the "logic" of the process, there are no guarantees. Interview was the 3rd week of February. Still waiting to hear...I am placing much hope in Mrs. D's comment that they are releasing lots of guys now.

LindsayBelle
04-04-2007, 07:36 PM
How do you have 3 written job offers from prison?

yblonely
04-04-2007, 08:29 PM
My Boyfriend Also Has Been Flopped 3 Times, Hasn't Gotten Into Any Trouble While Incarcerated, And Has Not Too Long Ago Finished His Classes He Needed To Take, He Is 2 Yrs. Past His "erd" It's Just Not Guaranteed, But I Pray That Things Are Soon Going To Change

mrsdragoness
04-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Boy.. sorry I didn't see this earlier... 90 day cuts are pre Truth In Sentencing lingo.. the MDOC cannot parole anyone prior to their ERD.. thats LAW!

Many of the questions asked here have extensive answers within this forum. We have indexes in each forum that can guide you to those answers. Check the appropriate MI sub forum for information... we also have a "how to navigate the MI forum thread up that guides you as well.

right now paroles are being granted left and right. Mr. and I have heard the news of several of his long time friends getting paroles, guys much like Mr. who were in for violent crimes or had some pretty checkered pasts and their institutional record wasn't anything to brag about.. HOWEVER, like Mr. they've cleaned up their acts the past several years and are getting paroles! That in itself tells me that the MDOC is working on getting more out of prison.

UNFORTUNATELY, they are also paroling guys who they KNOW will be back with in a short period of time so they can tell the budget committee "we told you so."

LindsayBelle
04-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I guess that's good to hear!!! :)

JamiesGirl06
04-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Michigan no longer has good time. The erd that he has, is the erd! There are the bills that have been sent to the judiciary committee. Lets hope and pray!!!!

ang3leyezz
06-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Thankyou everyone for there insite on any information they might of had. I haven't heard anything new but if I do I will get back to you.

Thanx again,
Katie