View Full Version : they consider him a VO

myliss
03-12-2007, 12:09 AM
before my recent vist with my deont'e i never visited this forum because i wasnt aware that he was considered a violent offender! he told me that he is! im not even sure what they mean by "violent offender" but i know my man is not this.

anyone know any information on exactly what it means? thanks!

MurphyGirl
03-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Being a violent offender just means the crime you committed was a violent one. To me it's just another way for the DOC to justify a longer sentence and harsher punishment.

haswtch
03-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Has is a "violent offender" by their standards for (supposedly) trying to bop a state trooper with a little league bat, missing completely, and driving off. Nobody was touched even in THEIR version of the story. He's had the stuffing beat out of him over nothing several times, has never hurt anybody. That word "violent" has been robbed of its meaning for me. I consider the district attorney the violent offender here, even if the weapons are pieces of paper.

chickletone
03-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Has is a "violent offender" by their standards for (supposedly) trying to bop a state trooper with a little league bat, missing completely, and driving off. Nobody was touched even in THEIR version of the story. He's had the stuffing beat out of him over nothing several times, has never hurt anybody. That word "violent" has been robbed of its meaning for me. I consider the district attorney the violent offender here, even if the weapons are pieces of paper.
I agree with you haswtch! But for me it also goes alittle further than just the D.A. It stands for the twisted words,and twisted facts used againest our loved ones to make the case against them more horriffic and in some cases more believeable in the eyes of a jury and society. Which in turn gives them longer sentences and a harder time trying to make parole.Not to mention when or if they do get released that V.O. label follows them and in some States it can be detremental to finding employment and housing.

Jillian
03-14-2007, 06:08 PM
before my recent vist with my deont'e i never visited this forum because i wasnt aware that he was considered a violent offender! he told me that he is! im not even sure what they mean by "violent offender" but i know my man is not this.

anyone know any information on exactly what it means? thanks!

Many violent offenders loved ones will tell you that their loved one is not violent what so ever, and they dont see them in that light. Its just a category that the doc has for them. Some states even has a violent offender's registry along with a sex offender's registry. Its another way to remind the world of their mistake for as long as they find fit .

haswtch
03-14-2007, 06:56 PM
yes, and as someone who loves language and truth and meaning, I find the whole violent offender thing violently offensive LOL

meganlea
03-17-2007, 09:00 AM
lovinmybay - Your loved one took someone elses life as a part of his crime. That's automatically deemed a "violent offense."

myliss
03-17-2007, 09:47 AM
even if its on accident?

zunigan
03-17-2007, 10:08 AM
This is so unfair. But I guess nothing is. When I told my husband this he could not beleive it. He has never been violent. All his family said the same thing. Who decides what is violent and whats not.? Someone needs to fix this one. I have read so many things and the things they say are violent are bunk. There are those that are-but really. This just makes me sick.

meganlea
03-17-2007, 10:43 AM
even if its on accident?

If I remember correctly it was a hit/skip so I'm sure that plays a part. I've dealt with cases where there wasn't intent to kill, but it happened and it's definitely considered violent.

myliss
03-17-2007, 12:21 PM
ooh ok i understand.

nancyschlep
03-17-2007, 12:43 PM

Haswtch, I am not sure of the details of your case, but if the state trooper wasn't hit, then how can they call your boyfriend a violent offender. I can see them saying that he was menacing the state trooper, but I was aware that that was considered to be a violent offense.

meganlea
03-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Haswtch, I am not sure of the details of your case, but if the state trooper wasn't hit, then how can they call your boyfriend a violent offender. I can see them saying that he was menacing the state trooper, but I was aware that that was considered to be a violent offense.

If he simply TRIED to hit the trooper, that'd be considered a violent offense. He had the intent... What if he hadn't missed? Did he have to be on-target for it to be considered violent? That's the way the law looks at it...

nancyschlep
03-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Well one would think that he would be charged with something like menacing. How does one determine intent?

haswtch
03-17-2007, 03:00 PM
How does one even attempt this with any credibility from behind the wheel of a small car? We have been trying to figure that out ourselves...the tale they told sounded more like somebody attempting suicide than anything else. And yes, in my and his opinion and several attorneys, the charge probably SHOULD have been menacing, to fit the story.
Kinda goofy.

meganlea
03-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Granted, I don't know the whole story, but based on what you've said here... If he ATTEMPTED to hit a trooper with a baseball bat, in my state he would've been charged with attempted felonious assault...or even just felonious assault. I think that charge reads "to cause or attempt to cause serious physical harm." That would definitely be "serious physical harm."

haswtch
03-17-2007, 04:31 PM
The actual NYS charge was 110/120.11, Attempted Aggravated Assault on Law Enforcement Officer. The unfortunate or fortunate or whatever part was/is, it never actually happened.
Why'd they do that? Long story. How do I know they lied? another long story, but NOT just because he said so.

Atalie
03-19-2007, 11:29 AM
My brother was convicted of un-armed bank robbery, he never even threatened harm but the feds see that as a violent crime anyway. In some states breaking and entering is a violent crime even if no one is home and no one is physically hurt. I guess a violent crime is determined by whether someone gets hurt, even if it is not physical hurt.

babygirl350
03-19-2007, 11:41 AM
The short of it is a Violent Offender is just a label that our judicial system gives some offenders. My hubby is considered one and he is definitely not a violent person. He does not even get into fights not now and not in his past either.

Just have to try and shake it off. There is so much harm done by creating and using all of these labels. Guess they find it easier to categorize them if they do it this way.

Just my thought.

nancyschlep
03-19-2007, 04:15 PM
How does one even attempt this with any credibility from behind the wheel of a small car? We have been trying to figure that out ourselves...the tale they told sounded more like somebody attempting suicide than anything else. And yes, in my and his opinion and several attorneys, the charge probably SHOULD have been menacing, to fit the story.
Kinda goofy.

Unbelievable. How much time did they give him?

JohnsBabyGurl86
03-21-2007, 03:51 PM
My husband is also considered a violent offender but I am not sure why because he didn't do anything to deserve that. Like many of the posts I have read, my husband has never been violent, I have seen him walk away from so many fights it isn't funny. But he has a felony from 2000 and he was helping my nephew with his riffleing skills before his boy scouts small game hunting and he was seen with the gun so they considered him a violent offender because they claim that they didn't know what he could have done with that gun, btw it was unloaded.

haswtch
03-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Ten years, Nance.

chickletone
03-22-2007, 12:19 PM
The State of Mississippi has begun taking D.N.A. samples from all inmates for a data bank pretty much the same as a they do for fingerprints. From what I've been able to find out its the beginning of a national data bank. Just thought you'd all like to know what the government is trying to pull now.

neptune08
03-22-2007, 05:47 PM
That's insane Chicklet!! It's bazaar how DOC in all states have some of the craziest rules and guidelines. Of course, my "inmate" is considered VO, armed robbery. It was not a surprise because of the gun he wielded.

Jillian
03-25-2007, 10:45 AM
The State of Mississippi has begun taking D.N.A. samples from all inmates for a data bank pretty much the same as a they do for fingerprints. From what I've been able to find out its the beginning of a national data bank. Just thought you'd all like to know what the government is trying to pull now.

Girl i hear you on the craziness! This is like everything else they do, yea it starts off with good intentions (about protecting society) , all we can do is hope that it stays that way. But what it is basically instead of tagging them all , they have all of their most identifiable assets.

chickletone
03-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Girl i hear you on the craziness! This is like everything else they do, yea it starts off with good intentions (about protecting society) , all we can do is hope that it stays that way. But what it is basically instead of tagging them all , they have all of their most identifiable assets.
I would be all for it IF they would use it to help those that have cases pending concerning wrongful convictions.But they of course aren't using it for that. They are even going as far as testing DR.inmates.Now allegations have been made that the testing that's been done so far was done by people who weren't trained or certified to do D.N.A. testing.Corruption runs rampid in Ms.and I'm afraid it will be used to convict more innocent people or those who are standing up for inmates who fight the crimes againest them while in custody.

haswtch
03-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Geez, Chicklet, you don't have a lot of faith in the Majesty of Authority do ya? Where were we when they were passing out the Koolaid, over in the Tropicana Orange Juice Line I guess:)

QUEENDRURY
03-26-2007, 02:40 PM
ladies is there any way to find out if he is a vo or so?we havent discussed his charges then we had to get him treatment for his depression.i have wrote to him and am waiting on his letter but they take so long to get up here to minnesota as he is in KENTUCKY.

Jillian
03-26-2007, 06:56 PM
ladies is there any way to find out if he is a vo or so?we havent discussed his charges then we had to get him treatment for his depression.i have wrote to him and am waiting on his letter but they take so long to get up here to minnesota as he is in KENTUCKY.

Queen , there is a such thing as violent sex offender. Most states have an online inmate search and ther you can see their crime

Inmatez Wife
04-01-2007, 04:43 PM
My hubby is in for robbery. Unarmed, never threatened to hurt anyone, never even spoke a word to anyone. He put something on the counter to "buy" and grabbed the money once the register was open. He is deemed "violent" in the state of PA. If you are smoking a ciggarette, and rob a store, and the cashier feels afraid, guess what?? YOU ARE VIOLENT bc of the lit cigarette. I simply am just shocked by this fact. He never even uttered one word in there. Yet, he is sent upstate for a first time offense and given a state sentence of 3 1/2-7 yrs, and he has never been in trouble before!!

Jillian
04-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Here if you just commit robbery you are considered a violent offender, my husband is vo for commiting robbery, he will have to serve 7 1/2 before parole .. does your husband have to serve all , half or less?