View Full Version : Millhaven Questions

iamatiger27
03-09-2007, 11:56 PM
My cousin is doing time in Millhaven, and I had a couple of questions. I am interested in visiting him, and he has said that he's going to send me a visitor application form. How long is the process, and what can I expect when I visit? Also, his step-mother is very ill with cancer, and if anything should happen to her would he be able to attend the funeral, wich would be out of the province?
Thanks in advance.

xoxoRubyRedxoxo
03-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Is he being assessed at millhaven or is that going to be where he serves his full term? As far as I know he will not be able to leave the jail to attend any events. The application process can take up to two months however, when I applied I believe it took about two weeks.

briannasmom
03-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Hello,

I was woundering if anyone new when someone is transfered to the millhaven assesment unit if you were notified before a transfer?

Leanne0106
03-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Hello,

I was woundering if anyone new when someone is transfered to the millhaven assesment unit if you were notified before a transfer?

from what I understand, an inmate is usually given 24 hours notice of a transfer. They can't give them more notice than that because of security concerns.

Yoosgirl
03-13-2007, 04:05 PM
When my man was sent to Millhaven to be assessed they didn't tell him until the morning he left. We knew that it was coming but not exactly when. We had talked on the phone the day b4 and had made plans for me to visit the next day (Central East) and when i got there they told me he was gone. He told me later that they came into his cell at 6:30 that morning and said "todays the day, lets go".

briannasmom
03-13-2007, 09:12 PM
WOW i would have been a lil mad going there and he was gone.

When my man was sent to Millhaven to be assessed they didn't tell him until the morning he left. We knew that it was coming but not exactly when. We had talked on the phone the day b4 and had made plans for me to visit the next day (Central East) and when i got there they told me he was gone. He told me later that they came into his cell at 6:30 that morning and said "todays the day, lets go".

Yoosgirl
03-15-2007, 01:30 PM
I only lived a 45min drive from Lindsay so its not that i was mad, more sad cause I knew it would be weeks maybe even months before i would be able to travel to Kingston for a visit.

briannasmom
03-16-2007, 07:33 AM
Ya i would be thinking the same thing. So they let him call me to tell me he was at millhaven yesterday. I was so glad that he called and this way i know he is there.

KCampbell
03-17-2007, 08:03 AM
It is highly unlikely that he would be allowed to attend an out of Province funeral. It is even more unlikely that it would be approved from MAU, Millhaven Assessment Unit, as the inmate hasn't even been assessed as of yet.

It is unlikely that he could be transferred to a prison in the area that the ill person lives in advance, a transfer out of Ontario, if approved, usually takes about six months.

After assessment however, should he be transferred to a camp or a low medium, and you were willing to pay for airfare for two correctional staff and the inmate, and you make prior arrangements, it is possible. The higher the security level, the least likely a visit would be approved.

KCampbell
03-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Once you are 100% finished with court, you know you will be leaving shortly.

Generally the night before, they take you off your range and bring you to the transfer cells overnight. If you are in Toronto, the Toronto area, or south western Ontario, they transfer you to Metro East Detention, then the following day you are transferred to MAU.

Whichever pretrial centre an inmate is in, they know what day transfers take place, they generally know or have heard which inmates are being sentenced to Federal time. So the inmate himself, has a fairly good idea when he is leaving.

Obviously they are not going to tell anyone in advance when they are leaving, most Federal inmates have generic charges, but they could just as easily be transferring a very serious offender, starting a life sentence, that could be an extreme risk.

Yoosgirl
03-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Ha Briannasmom, glad to read that he was able to call. :)

briannasmom
03-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Ha Briannasmom, glad to read that he was able to call. :)
Ya i was happy, but know i am feeling kinda sad cause i haven't heard from him and thats hard. I always thinking if he is ok and stuff like that. NO way of knowing till he calls again or writes me a letter. HOpe he calls soon.

iamatiger27
03-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Hi everyone,
I have a visitor application form filled out to visit my cousin in Millhaven, and I'm going to be in Kingston tomorrow. I was wondering of anyone knows if I'd be able to drop it off at Millhaven instead of mailing it. Hopefully make the process move more quickly so I can see him soon.
Thanks