View Full Version : How long does it take to get into SAFP Unit at Gatesville?

acie
03-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Does anyone know how long it takes to get into the medical SAFP unit at Gatesville for women? My daughter has been sitting in county jail for 17 weeks so far. She thought she would be going to the regular SAFP at Burnet but because she is on 1 med. she was told that she has to go to the medical one. Can the TDC unit there tell me or how do they determine when you will get the call? I need answer ASAP as she is sick worrying that she may be stuck there at county for months more and they can't or won't let her know anything. Thanks

pami57
03-03-2007, 09:26 PM
There is really no way of knowing how long they will have to wait. It depends on when the unit has an available bed. I don't think there is anyone that you can call to find out, but maybe someone else here knows more about it and will reply. I do know there was a post before about someone waiting a long time and they had found out that the county had never put them on the SAFP list. You might start there.

mgeneralpatton
03-04-2007, 12:56 AM
My husband is also on the waiting list for the medical safep but at Huntsville. Every week the time period changes for the waiting period. I call the prison once a week and just simply ask what is the waiting period for the medical safep program for a male and they tell me. Right now at Huntsville the regular waiting period is shorter than medical by a couple of weeks and the amount of weeks they tell you is from the sentencing date. Not this week. Also, the medical safep is 3 months longer than regular the regular is a 6 month program and the medical is 9 months and there is no getting out early either:(. I hope this helps let me know if you need anymore information. One last thing when he was sentenced they did tell us that day that the waiting period could be anywhere from 3-9 months to be able to go to safep.

Michelle

pams lilsis
03-04-2007, 08:56 AM
My niece is at Hackberry Safp that is the medical unit there in Gatesville she has been there 9 months she is to be released from there April 11th and then has to go to a Halfway house for 3 months in Dallas she waited in Hunt county for 9 months before a bed was ready there time does not count until they get to Safp so the 9 months in county was for nothing . Maybe a bed will be open then .

acie
03-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. It really ticks me off because I heard the judge say that he was sentencing her to 6 months at a SAFP program and she was led to believe that that would be all she would get. She understood that her county jail time wouldn't count and her court appointed attorney there said her wait at county wouldn't be longer that 18 weeks. If she had of known all this before hand she might of just taken her chances at going to TDC. She probably would get out sooner than having to go through all of this BS

pams lilsis
03-04-2007, 10:14 AM
My sister went to TDC instead of Safp and stayed in county from April -August and guess what she was still sent to Halbert Safp in Burnet she was paroled in Nov got a FI5 so that meant IPTC which is still Safp anyway you look at it and she is going through hE## there she has to stay 6 months and then 3 months Halfway house my niece in Hackberry said they are going on lockdown this month so your daughter is better off in county right now .The reason it took so long in county for my niece is because Hackberry is a special needs Safp and beds are always full .My sister had to go to Woodman(intake facility) and then Murray both in Gatesville she stayed in Murray from Oct-the end of Dec. before a bed was ready at Halbert I had to keep calling to find out why it was taking so long

kds'mom
03-07-2007, 10:00 AM
My daughter is also waiting for SAFP Special Needs (9 mo. program) bed. She's been in county since November, but did not get on the waiting list until Dec. 7. After visiting her this past weekend, she was told the approximate wait is 24 weeks (originally told 4-5 months wait). Still trying to gather info. The probation officer has no knowledge of what happens in this punishment program, nor does the SAFP PO at the county jail. Go figure.

MBB
03-07-2007, 10:52 AM
I hate that for your daughter and your family. I have been through this
with my boyfriend twice. Unfortunaly the attorney should not have
told you a time frame. He has no idea. Everyone who posted here
is right. It is a matter of when a bed becomes available. There is
a shortage. But you never know when it is the first time, so yes
you listen to the attorney. So a 6 or 9 month program can be
a 1 to 1 1/2 year sentence. When my boyfriend went to SAFP the
first time the program was a one year program so it was 2-4 months
in county, 1 year SAFP then 3 months halfway house. No the program
was no better when it was 1 year. Good Luck maybe a bed will
be available soon.

pams lilsis
03-07-2007, 11:10 AM
my niece stayed in county for 9 months before a bed was ready at Hackberry Safp in Gatesville

lorv
03-14-2007, 10:28 PM
anyone know the current wait time for men's safPf or transfer from county jail?
thank you in advance.
lorv

Kay
03-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Hello lorv and welcome to PTO. We are glad you are here. As you can tell by the posts above there is really no way to tell how long the wait will be for a bed at SAFE-P. It is the same story for mens and women's units. It is just hurry up and wait and no one seems to have any answers about the time frame or anything else. Hopefully it won't be too long. Good Luck! Katy

HisWifey4304
03-15-2007, 09:50 AM
thank you in advance.
lorv

Lorv- There is a different wait for all county jails to transfer to SAFP. My husband did not have to stay long he got to county on Dec 18/06 and left for safp on Feb 14/07. Others on here have had there loved ones wait 2,3 even up to 6 months to get to SAFP...just depends on when they have a bed available.

HisWifey4304
03-15-2007, 09:50 AM
thank you in advance.
lorv

Lorv- There is a different wait for all county jails to transfer to SAFP. My husband did not have to stay long he got to county on Dec 18/06 and left for safp on Feb 14/07. Others on here have had there loved ones wait 2,3 even up to 6 months to get to SAFP...just depends on when they have a bed available.

lorv
03-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Has anyone ever heard of anyone staying out on bond, until SAFEP is available? Thanks in advance.

pami57
03-15-2007, 09:56 PM
No, I don't think they work that way but I could be wrong.

lorv
03-21-2007, 01:15 PM
I just talked to a friend of mine who is a probation officer, she said that she does think that bond is available until a bed is available, unless the Judge says otherwise. Maybe it depends on the particulars of the case. Just thought I would pass that info along. thanks again. lorv

pams lilsis
03-22-2007, 01:59 PM
there is a post on here some where about a guys wife staying at home until her bed was ready

mjolie
03-23-2007, 08:03 AM
has any one info on whether this can be appealled? has anyone tried. thanks.

MBB
03-23-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm not sure either, but my boyfriend has been to SAFP twice and
both times, he had to stay in county until there was a bed.

mjolie
03-26-2007, 06:27 PM
MBB,
May I ask? Two different times and how long did it take to get the beds? They left him at county and didn't move him to a holding place then take him to SAFP? Is SAFP a six months for sure? Thank you for your help and your response.
MJ

mgeneralpatton
04-04-2007, 09:07 AM
I speak to the lady over admissions at the Huntsville unit for admissions every Tuesday for safep and there is a list that comes out every Monday but it takes until Tuesday before they know what the waiting period is. I called yesterday and it was 10 weeks for special needs male. The time is different though for regular needs male. The last I had heard was ther regular had a shorter waiting period. The manditory time for safep is 6 months for regular and 9 months for special needs no matter what unit they go to. That is what I was told by admissions. Hope this helps some.
Thanks,

mjolie
04-15-2007, 07:42 PM
okay my guy was in county for the past five months just last month during the hearing the came back with safP. Friday they took him to ISF what's happening another holding place, before he goes to SAFP or what? I haven't heard from him due to the fact that they moved him Friday and I can't call to find out anything until then.
Thank God, he's moving along and not still at county he hated being there nothing to do but wait.