View Full Version : what is a 3G offense?

bringmikehome
03-03-2007, 07:03 PM
My son has non aggrevated offenses. He is telling me that they are treating them as 3G offenses. DO you think that this could be true? I will go get his offenses so I can tell you what he was charged with.

LENETOWNTX
06-03-2008, 09:17 AM
How Much Time Did He Get? I Thing G3 Is Any Thing Over A 50 Year Sentence. I Could Be Wrong.

txsndn7
06-03-2008, 10:02 AM
My Husband has (2) two 3g offenses. He got 30 yrs.
hmmm.:rolleyes:

elbw2
06-03-2008, 09:03 PM
3g are aggrevated charges, g3 is a custody level usually given to someone with a fifty plus year sentence. I think that the co's pretty much treat everyone like crap.

BrandNewGirl
06-03-2008, 09:43 PM
3G refers to the section of the Texas penal code. It does not have to be 50+ year sentences. My ex is in for Agg Assault with an affirmative finding of a deadly weapon which falls under the 3G section. His sentence is 15 years.

Basically, if you look in the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, Article 42.12, section 3g, there are certain crimes that fall under that. Generally, it includes an affirmative finding of a deadly weapon in the commission of a crime.

Nance

Edited to add: Here is a list I found of 3G offenses in Texas from the 73rd legislature:

3g Offenses: Capital Murder (Capital Felony) - Life Sentence 1) Murder of a peace officer or fireman on official duty, 2) Intentionally murders a person in the course of committing a kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, or arson, obstruction, or retaliation, 3) Murders for remuneration, 4) Murders while escaping or attempting to escape from a penal institution, 5) Murders an employee of a penal institution, 6) Murders with intent to establish or participate in an alliance of individuals, 7) A person convicted of murder who murders while incarcerated, 8) Murders while serving a sentence of Life or 99 years for Aggravated Kidnapping, Aggravated Sexual Assault, or Aggravated Robbery, 9) Murders more than one person during the same criminal transaction, or during different criminal transactions but the murders are committed pursuant to the same scheme, 10) Murders an individual under six years of age.

3g Offenses: Agg. Kidnapping Agg. Sexual Assault Agg. Robbery Any Offense with Affirmative Finding of Deadly Weapon Murder Indecency With a Child (Sexual Contact) The bolded area is where my ex's lies.

This site is where I got the list. http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/publications/PIT_eng.pdf

spawgan
06-11-2008, 06:28 PM
3g refers to the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Art. 42.12 section 3(g). It lists certain offenses that the Court cannot grant a strait probation on. Now this classification is important because parole eligibility is determited by whether you offense is a 3g offense or not a 3g offense. A 3g offense gets parole eligibility when their calendar time (with no consideration of good or work time) is either one half of their sentence or 30 years (in some limited sex cases 35 years) whichever is less. So a 50 year 3g sentence will have parole eligibility at 25 years and a 3g 70 year sentence will have parole eligibility at 30 years. ALso 3g offenses cannot receive release review on mandatory supervision.

A non 3g offense has parole when their calendar time plus good or work time is either one quarter of their sentence or 15 years, whichever is less. That means that a non 3-g 10 year sentence will have parole eligibility when flat plus good time equals 2 years 6 months and on a non 3g sentence of 70 years or life, parole eligibility is when flat plus good and work time equal 15 years. Not all but many non 3g offenses can also be eligible for release review under mandatory supervision when flat time plus work and good time equals their entire sentence.

They cannot treat a non-3g offense as a 3g offense. It is a popular myth in the system. Now the board can decide not to grant the parole on a non 3g offense until at least half the inmates sentence is served, but the offender will still have the reviews

H_Lashay226
08-10-2008, 09:55 AM
I was on here before w/ a "Burglary of A Habitat " Thread.. Somehow it all got deleted. ANY way to bring it back.. I still have alot of questions about it!

LittleWing13
03-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Mine was sentenced only 3 years on a 3G offense, so will he be eligible for parole in 18 months? I know he isn't likely to parole out on such a short sentence, but in theory, would that be correct?

Kay
03-20-2009, 04:59 PM
That is correct. After one half of his sentence is served he will be eligible for parole and some do make their first parole.

RobinsMan
03-21-2009, 08:55 AM
With a three year sentence for a 3g offense that isn't the case. Parole eligiblity happens after they have done half of their sentence flat (no good time) or two years - which ever is the most. So, he'll be eligible for parole after 24 months and he'll pretty much get one shot at parole.

spawgan
03-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Littlewing, actually on a 3g offense the parole eligibility is 50% flat time or 2 years whichever is greater, so if your loved one is doing a 3 year 3g sentence, he is not eligible for parole until he does 2 years flat.

jacquebennett
03-24-2009, 08:00 PM
My nephew was sentenced to 2 years on a robbery charge ( 29.02) he violated probation. His PED was 10/08. Yet his short way and his max out are the same 07/2010 why is that?

RobinsMan
03-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Robbery under Penal Code 29.02 is not a 3g offense but it is an offense that makes him ineligible for release to mandatory supervision under Government Code 508.149. Therefore he has no shortway date and so they just set his PRD to his maximum sentence date.

jacquebennett
03-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Robbery under Penal Code 29.02 is not a 3g offense but it is an offense that makes him ineligible for release to mandatory supervision under Government Code 508.149. Therefore he has no shortway date and so they just set his PRD to his maximum sentence date.

Thanks Royce because I wasn't sure what was going on. I knew on 3G one has to do 1/2 their time for parole, and that was not the case but there was no short way so that is where I was confussed! Which doesn't take much now days!!!:confused::hmm::dizzy::lol::lol:

LittleWing13
04-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the info...a little discouraging, but it's good to know what to expect. We are just going to focus on that first parole. I am hopeful because we have the support of the "victim" and he is more than willing to write letters and make phone calls to the Parole Board, asking for them to parole him out ASAP! :) Praying that pulls some weight with the voters.

romantic
05-11-2009, 01:26 PM
my man was sentenced to a 3g offense got 15 years has to serve 7 1/2 flat with no good time allowed. just wanted to add for those curious.. even if sentenced with a 3g offense they can get promoted to better line status based on their behavior.

x4livin
05-11-2009, 05:04 PM
my man was sentenced to a 3g offense got 15 years has to serve 7 1/2 flat with no good time allowed. just wanted to add for those curious.. even if sentenced with a 3g offense they can get promoted to better line status based on their behavior.

my husband was sentenced to a 3g offense got 15 years has served 10 years and 3g can only be promoted to a s2(line class) if they are within 5 years from max date and the warden and line class officer approves it...so..unless you're hoping he stays till he's within 5 years of his max..he will be s3 till parole.