View Full Version : Visiting with a youth record?

02-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Hi everyone, I am new here but I have been reading the different posts for a while now, and you all seem to be a very helpful bunch of people! I am really hoping that someone could help me out with my problem as well.

I applied to visit my close friend at Millhaven however I was denied. I called them and they said that I was denied because a) I failed to mention my youth charges and b) I was charged with an indictable offence (possession of counterfeight). The man on the phone put quite a lot of stress on the fact that I had committed a very serious offence. He said that I had to be cleared of the charges first and then I would be able to apply, although he wasn't 100% positive of all of the technicalities because he didn't have my form or something in front of him.

First of all, I thought that if you had a youth criminal record that you didn't technically have a criminal record at all? For example, on a job application I was told by my lawyer at the time to put that I didn't have a record and so on. I have already dealt with the charges and finished my probation so it isn't like it is an ongoing charge or something. Even so, I thought that a youth criminal record didn't have any effect on visiting someone in jail. Although my offense was a serious one, it was not one where I was a danger to society or anything.

So, really, my question is: are they allowed to dismiss my application on these grounds and is there anything that I can do get my application approved?

If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

03-01-2007, 05:18 PM
First, you could look up the John Howard Society in Kingston and see if they can assist you.

Second, welcome to the Corrections Canada metality. Even if you are 100% correct, when they say no, they mean no. They are so set in there ways, nothing short of the grievance process will change their minds.

As you say your friend arrived at Milhaven, I'll assume he is in reception, and within 90 days he'll already be in another institution, where you'll have to apply all over again anyway.

So depending on his record, charges, and sentence, he could go anywhere from a camp to maximum security. At Milhaven you are dealing with a Maximum Security Institution, with a maximum security mentality, even though you may be in reception, everyone is in max.

If he ends up in camp, then the clearance for visiting will be more liberal. However, they'll now have your denial on record. So when he arrives at his new institution, he can tell his parole officer right away, they interview you within the first couple of days when you arrive.

It is very difficult for him to see anyone at Milhaven unless he goes to the work range. He can file a grievance immediately and get the paperwork going, but it takes time.

As for your record, I'm unsure about disclosure, I'm sure you are aware of a pardon, on a Provincial charge you apply 3 years after all parole, probation, etc expires. However you can get the pardon kit, and mail it in, they'll send you a copy of your criminal record. Then you'll see yourself exactly what is on there. Remember any charges ever laid, even if later dropped, are still on your record as well.

Where you may find assistance, is you can write to the Inmate Committee at any institution. It is your best source for inmate assistance.

03-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Yes, he has been transferred to Bath already. I called the visitors section there but I have to wait to call back next week and talk to a lady who will hopefully (fingers crossed!) be able to help me. They really seem to be a lot nicer at Bath, and as you said that whole maximum no means no attitude was very very apparent when I had been calling around there. I'm assuming that going right to Bath in person and talking to them won't really help my case either? I just really hope that I will be able to visit him. Thank you so much for being so helpful though, this is the most help that I've gotten with this situation it just seems like the system loves to lead you into dead ends at times.

03-01-2007, 08:00 PM
When you talk to him next, ask him to talk to the inmate committee at Bath and let them know the situation. The inmate committee is all inmates, who know who is who of the Bath staff, and the best way to address a problem. They also get to speak to the Warden, who would have the final say in your matter. Good luck.

03-01-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't know about Canada, but in the US your juvenile record isn't nearly as sealed as people make it out to be. In terms of background checks for employment and whatnot, can't find it. However, if you get in trouble and the police check your record (similar to checking you out for visitation purposes), your REAL RECORD shows up...

03-02-2007, 03:45 AM
Yes, I will definately tell him to talk to them, I didn't even know that there was such a thing. What would I do without this place? Lol.

Unfortunately here as well your youth record is considered as something more serious than most would think. I swear, I just always assumed that it wasn't a big deal because it was something I did as a youth - wrong. Ah but oh well, what can you do? At the moment I just really hope it doesn't get in the way of visiting my friend!

Thank you for all your help!