View Full Version : Granholm's Releasing of Inmates Question

Jariel
02-22-2007, 08:39 AM
There seems to be some confusion on the upcoming inmate releases. So far from what I've read, it is only those past their ERD's or parole eligible inmates being release. (which is why I can't figure out why they are calling it an "early" release) But others I've talked to say they are being let out before their ERD's. What have you all heard and believe to be true?

Lions Heart
02-22-2007, 08:43 AM
I don't believe that people can be released before their ERD's in Michigan because TIS is still in effect. I do believe that the people they are releasing are past their ERD's with the exception of those sentences in which the Governor is commuting. I don't know why they are calling it "early" when it really isn't. I could be wrong but that is my take on it.

Jariel
02-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Also I forgot to mention, my husband says there can't be 5000 inmates past their erd's on non violent, non sexual crimes because those types of crimes are usually paroled at their erd's, so he thinks it's an early release. Not sure how that could be though with TIS law? I'm so confused! LOL

MomTo5
02-22-2007, 09:42 AM
I think your husband might be right. I think they may allow some out who are catagorized as violent offenders but I do not believe they will let people out before their ERD because of TIS.

Now if only they'd let them out before they finish AOP . . . . . . wishful thinking on my part.

EJ69
02-22-2007, 09:42 AM
I guess I am confussed as well. So they want to release people of non violent crimes before their erd but keep in the others that are classifed as violent offenders way past their ERD. Why dont they let everyone who is past their ERD go on parole. This would make more sense. Now I am wondering about my hubby as he went back in on Probation Violation but his orginal crime was for CSC. Does this mean even though he is past his ERD they will still keep him.

Jariel
02-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Actually, what they are saying is letting out non violent people that are past their ERD's, which would be strange since most non violent people are already paroled at their erd. So what I'm asking is are they letting out non violent before their erd's or just the few still in there past their erds?

mrsdragoness
02-22-2007, 09:54 AM
To the BEST of my knowledge they are not letting out anyone prior to their ERD.

HOWEVER, as a personal observation I think they are trying to come up with alternatives to prison - such as letting some out of prison on tether, into halfway houses, etc. These things are not considered "release."

Iuse2bhere
02-22-2007, 11:31 AM
I've heard that they are letting some out with alternatives to prison...The only way those past their ERD's can be considered as being release early is because they are more than likely going to release some of the individuals that have been flopped! In my observation it is basically that there are alot of violent offenders that fit into the sick and elderly category!

ilovecharles
02-22-2007, 11:49 AM
From what i have drawn together and in my own opinion...people will not even be considered unless their ERD has passed. if it has passed, violent or non violent, they are assessing their Parole Card score (or whatever you call it), reviewing prison behavior history and other things of that nature. I believe what i need to read and watch is what is being said through the words. For instance, when this started J.G. was quoted as saying 12500 inmates to be released, now that number has dramatically changed. However, it should have. If normal civilians thought 12500 inmaters were coming home, there would be a fit. also, what is released in the papers is to control (so to speak) civilians reactions to what is going on.
I have to remind myself how They would think (those being people clueless to the system all together and just afraid of the word "criminal" or felony") and then i question why something is written this or that way.

To the OP I do believe that those classified with violent crimes will be looked at for possibily release.
Momto5~I also believe that those who havent finished AOP will be looked at as well because in certain counties in MI AOP is available while a person is on Parole.
EJ~I believe your husband is applicable as well. However, i would not hold my breath (figuratively speaking) hoping to see in the papers CSC's considered for release. The public views anyone with a CSC as a "threat to society". Now you and i both know this is not true in regards to your husband and the reason behind him being incarcerated...I would just remind myself again of how THEY think. CSC's coming home is not something that would be published in the paper...ya know what i am saying?

Also, they are looking into alternatives to prison. I believe non violent level Is that are past ERD are eligible to come home on teather program right now.

Anyway, now that i have babbled for days sorry about that!!!

foreverlee&I
02-22-2007, 12:18 PM
CSC's coming home is not something that would be published in the paper...ya know what i am saying?

ilovecharles~
I think you may have hit the nail on the head!

Iuse2bhere
02-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Well when they originally released the press that Granholm wanted to release prisoners 12,500 is what was released but then when Granholm did her State of the State it changed to 5,500; so I just wonder what exactly they told the press for them to come up with that number because it wasn't like just one newspaper/news program released this but all of them were saying the same thing! I figure there will be alot of speculation on what may happen but we all won't truely be able to believe it until they start releasing some of the inmates.

EJ69
02-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Well we have a parloe board meeting in the first part of March so we should know something within the next month and a half. This will be his second time in front of the board. Also I know just what you are saying ilovecharles. Releasing CSC is something that they dont want the public to know about, and no I'am not holding my breath as it comes to MDOC and the parole board, I dont belive it untill I see it. Then again I think we all feel that way.

Jariel
02-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, I'm not too familier with the system, but arn't most non violent, non SC people, (those in for fraud, bad checks, etc) aren't they usually released on their erd anyway? Isn't it usually the violent or SC crimes that get flopped? So I'm confused why they say they are releasing this type early when those are usually released on their erd anyway, so it's not really early at all, and i have a hard time with the fact that there are over 5000 people in there for fraud and the like that are over their erds.

debbee214
02-22-2007, 06:38 PM
[quote=ilovecharles]... when this started J.G. was quoted as saying 12500 inmates to be released, now that number has dramatically changed... quote]

i'm so glad you mentioned this, ilc, because i was beginning to wonder about my mind. i could have sworn i heard 12 thousand, and then when the number 5 thousand kept being mentioned i thought i must have remembered wrong.

good to know i haven't lost my marbles yet.

also, i like what i'm inferring from your post--that possibly the actual number of inmates released will be more than what is published in the papers. it gives me hope.

mrsdragoness
02-22-2007, 06:50 PM
CSC's coming home is not something that would be published in the paper...ya know what i am saying?

Thats very true.. but from our personal observations they have been quietly paroling more sex offenders for the past couple of years. Just my :twocents: but I honestly think that they are picking and choosing carefully rather than simply saying NO to sex offenders.

deb
02-22-2007, 07:14 PM
I hope you guys are right and that they just aren't putting everything in the papers because of jq public.... I've been so perturbed the last few days it isn't funny...

Deb

DENIMBLUE
02-22-2007, 07:23 PM
...it is disturbing not knowing if they mean what they mean and who will actually be released...:(

Iuse2bhere
02-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Thats very true.. but from our personal observations they have been quietly paroling more sex offenders for the past couple of years. Just my :twocents: but I honestly think that they are picking and choosing carefully rather than simply saying NO to sex offenders.

I agree with this point.

Alumni
02-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Let's not forget that the folks who are running this show are in general politicians and lifetime State functionaries. This does not tend to be the most inventive group - as there is tremendous pressure to not really "change" things.

That being said, it seems that perhaps the thought is possibly dawning in their Cro-Magnon brains that if they can blame a change in the "lock-em-up-and-throw-away-the-key-because-this-makes-me-look-tough-on-crime" mentality on the budget and financial concerns - that they might be able to keep their jobs. The fear-based mentality under which most Corrections (and not all - I know that there are COs and others who are part of the PTO community and others who are invisible viewers) employees and politicians function is really tough to appreciate until you encounter it personally.

So, you've got a group of people who in general aren't very good at thinking outside of the box, dealing with a very serious and multi-faceted problem. It's not surprising that several different voices are heard, that many of them are contradictory, and that there doesn't appear to be a cohesive plan emerging.

While it is no doubt difficult to be patient through this time, it would seem that we are (perhaps) at a turning point in the Corrections process in our state. If you believe, as I do, that there has been a massive amount of injustice that has been going on with impunity for quite some time in this state - then perhaps a good Gandhi quote can help. It talks about the how the fall of injustice ALWAYS happens:

When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall - think of it, always."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

It really will all work out....

HOPE4FUTURE
02-23-2007, 08:03 AM
Alumni, Well said!

honeymom
02-23-2007, 08:19 AM
According to the 2007 MPRI Report on the MDOC page...

Michigan prisons currently hold 50,941 prisoners. 31% of those are past their ERD...so that is 15,791 prisoners past their ERD. Of those 76% have been denied parole throughout their current prison term and 24% have been paroled but returned on a PV.

honeymom
02-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Here is the 2007 MPRI Report link

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/corrections/02-01-07_MPRI_Quarterly_Status_Report__Addendum_185537_7 .pdf

honeymom
02-23-2007, 08:36 AM
My question is, if they are closing Engler where are they/how are they going to do intakes?