View Full Version : About Woodman Unit - Texas State Jail

Jaicoop
02-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Hello everyone...

I'm looking for someone who has a loved one in the Woodman Unit in Gatesville Texas. I'm new here, so I may not be at the right place to ask this question. If not, would someone please direct me.
Thank you,
Jaicoop:)

pami57
02-17-2007, 10:22 PM
My daughter was at Woodman last year. If you would like to get specific questions answered I'll do my best.

Half of it is an intake unit for women offenders going into prison and the other half is a state jail facility. State jail inmates are kept separate from the TDCJ inmates. During intake they are processed through an evaluation period, physical and psychological testing to assess their basic needs and for classification. My daughter stayed at Woodman from November 'till Feb. when she was transferred to an ID unit, which basically is the real prison environment. ID stands for Instutional Division. If they are not assigned to an ID unit they would be going into State Jail or SAFP. I believe this is the best way to describe it, according to my daughter.

Jaicoop
02-18-2007, 05:31 AM
Thank you so much. I'm so worried about her. I guess my main question is what are we allowed to send her through the mail. Can I send stamps & envelopes, paper, and etc.?

How is the food? I'm totally n the dark.

Her first parole hearing comes up in June, do you think that means that she'll stay there until then?

I want to thank you again for anwering... I don't know how to navigate this site. Please tell me anything you can think of that would take away some of my fear.... Jaicoop
What does the title thing above the message mean?

Kay
02-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Hello and welcome to PTO! I am not familiar with the Woodman Unit but you can send writing paper and envelopes from an approved vendor. NO STAMPS. They have to buy those from commissary. Try www.rosiesgraphics.com (http://www.rosiesgraphics.com) for writing supplies. She knows what is allowed by TDC. You can send puzzles that you print from the internet or books from an approved vendor. You can put money on her commissary account as long as you have her TDC number at www.jpay.com (http://www.jpay.com) I'm sure someone will come along and fill in what I have forgotten. Hope this helps.The title thing you are asking about tells what the topic is about. It takes a little time but you will soon be a pro at getting around the site! Good Luck! Katy

Jaicoop
02-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Your reply was very useful. thanks a million! I feel like Ive found a brand new family. You'll never know how much I appreciate the help.

Have a nice, day! Jaicoop

BB's Mom
02-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Welcome to PTO! There are so many willing to help and answer questions.

pams lilsis
02-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi my sister was in Woodman from Aug till Jan she said she was screemed at more from guards than she had ever been her whole life she said the food was ok she got a job as Janitor so that helped keep her busy and she stayed to herself that is what they need to do in order to stay out of trouble tell your daughter to keep her mouth closed and do what she is suppose to and she will be fine my sister was moved from woodman to murray ID unit they keep them about 3mon I do not know why they kept her longer and then they are assigned an ID unit there are several at Gatesville keep your daughter money on her account so she can buy hygeine and food and other things she needs they can not have a fan or hotplate in woodman but she could in Murray. Woodman is not a cake walk and they are strict with there rules but tell her just to follow the other ladies around and she will learn the ropes hope this helpes Marilyn oh they can also get in to GED, Changes, and other classes

RobinsMan
02-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Welcome to PTO! My wife is also in TDCJ and currently waiting on transfer back there after a trip to county for court. She has been at Plane before but could end up in Gatesville this next trip in. This is a great group of folks who are all here to help. That includes me, too. Royce

Jaicoop
02-19-2007, 01:42 PM
What a wonderful group of people I've found. May God bless you! It's like having a second family. I have so many questions, and I know absolutely nothing about these thengs. I'm scared to death for her.

I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. She was transferred from county, after being there for two months, to the Woodman Unit in the middle of January, and a friend of her's told me that she had a parole hearing coming up in June... does anyone think this is possible?

Again, all my thanks to each of you!
Jaicoop

RobinsMan
02-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Depending upon how long her sentence is she can very well be parole elligible already. Robin became parole elligible while still in county waiting for transfer to TDCJ. I think that it may be hard to say exactly when she may get reviewed any closer than within a few months, though. Robin was elligible back in October, 2006 and still is waiting to be interviewed by the parole board.

Jaicoop
02-19-2007, 04:18 PM
It helps to know that. I will at least know that if she does get one, it might take a lot longer than June. I appreciate every word I receive, and I will never foget any of you.

Thanks,
Jaicoop

RobinsMan
02-19-2007, 05:08 PM
I don't see where anyone has yet mentioned the offender search yet so I don't know if you are aware of it. If you go there and search using either a first and last name or TDCJ number, if you have it, then you can get some basic information. There will be her max date which should reflect her sentence length and credited jail time. There is also her PRD (Projected Release Date), which is her date of elligibility for release under discretionary Mandantory Supervision, and her PED (Parole Elligibilty Date). That is the date that she becomes elligible to be considered for parole. You can also keep track of her location. A link to the Offender Locator site is below. Royce

http://168.51.178.33/webapp/TDCJ/index2.htm

Jaicoop
02-19-2007, 05:48 PM
This is a worth a million! I'm on my way, with your help I'm getting smarter every day. No words to express my graditude!

Jai

Jaicoop
02-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Sorry to bother you again, but what is a SID number? I have no clue... do I have to have it? I know all the other information.

Jai

RobinsMan
02-19-2007, 06:11 PM
If she had a drivers license or Texas ID number before her arrest then I think that it should be the same. SID stands for State ID number. And no, you don't need it. TDCJ number is all you need.

pams lilsis
02-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi Jaicoop i am not Robinsman but no you do not nees the SID # just put in her name, race ,sex and TDC# and it will come up if you have a pop up blocker you have to turn that off or sometimes it does not work and to answer your Question about Parole yes she can be seen by Parole that soon my sister was seen by her Parole and she got a FI-5 which meant that she had to do 6months Safp and then 3 months halfway house she is in halbert Safp right now hope this helped Marilyn

Jaicoop
02-19-2007, 06:32 PM
That was very, very useful information, it took me awhile with everyone's help ... but I' getting there. And I saved every one of the links that you have furnished me with to help the next lost soul.

I found out everything I needed to know, and more! Ha!

Don't get lost please! If I can ever do anything to help any of you, please let me know!
Sincerely,
Jai

RobinsMan
02-19-2007, 06:35 PM
It's why we are all here. For help and to help others.