View Full Version : Going up for parole

boandmelissa
02-01-2007, 11:28 AM
My fiance goes up for parole in March in Virginia. I have a meeting set up with the parole board to speak on his behalf. He's in for poss. of stolen property. Any thoughts on what I should be prepared for? Advice on what I should and shouldn't say. I've never been through this process before and have no idea what to expect. Thanks.

thunder
02-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Just be calm and speak from the heart.

It appears that you'll probably have to admit to his guilt, talk about his rehabilatation, his remorse, etc.

Best wishes.

boandmelissa
03-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Tomorrow is my big day. I'm ready, with fingers crossed.
Thanks for the support.

boandmelissa
03-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Well, today was my big day! I was so nervous on my way to the meeting. Once the parole board member shut the door and we shook hands, my nervousness went away. I left with a really good feeling. I think things went really, really well. I will keep everyone posted. Hopefully my man will be home in a few months. :)

noname10
03-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Glad you feel it went well, hope you have good news to share with us. If you could, without being specific, would you share what you told the board? It might help someone else in the same situation

insomniac7905
03-06-2007, 04:42 PM
My loved one has been serving a life sentence in SRCI but from what I understand is that he is able to go up for parole at the 20yr mark..I was wondering if anyone knows the probability of him being released? He's had good conduct since he's been in , he's very remorseful and the victim's family even has seemed to be supportive to him being released in the future. I am wondering exactly what the odds are and if he has any hope other than false hopes of a someday? Also when he does come up for parole in a few yrs what does the parole board use as criteria for their decisions? Does anyone know? Thanks all for you help on this and info you guys have would be great.

boandmelissa
03-07-2007, 11:57 AM
The parole board told me that the hardest part about having a loved one in prison is them coming home - it takes a while to get adjusted to being out. I told them that throughout the last 2.5 yrs we have talked all the time, visits, letters and that I've sent tons of pictures of me and my son over the years and have also sent pictures of how the neighborhood has grown up, so he won't be as shocked when he comes out. I also submitted letters to them from myself, his parents, a reference letter from a place he worked as an inmate worker, and picture that was in the paper while he was an inmate. I talked about how his thinking and decision making skills have changed, how he's grown as a person. I shared with them our past and how we meet. I told them about myself; how long I've lived at my current residence, yrs at job. I talked for about 20 minutes. They didn't ask me a round of questions, like I thought they would.
I hope things went as well as I think they did. If so, I will def share more about the interview. I will also post copies of the letters that I submitted to them.

Help and Prayer
03-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Insomniac if the victims family does not fight his release that is the biggest part of the battle,he needs to stay out of trouble,and take any classes or courses they offer to show he is a different person.That even in prison he was trying to improve.Help and prayer

insomniac7905
03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks help and prayer that helps alot. From what I have understood is that he has been doing all that while he's been in and he told me that if it wasn't for the victim's family then he wouldn't even have the opportunity to go up for parole in a few years to begin with. So basically from what I've understood from you is that if the victim's family doesn't fight it then he has a good chance in his favor of being released?

boandmelissa
04-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Well, my Monday hasn't started off as well as I would've like it to. Bright and early this am I received a call from the VINE service. After 7 weeks, the answer is in and my fiance is not comig home this year. :cry:'m pretty bummed. I really thought that he would make it. Oh well, another DOC year to look forward to.

noname10
04-25-2007, 10:47 AM
I am so sorry that you got a negative response. Hopefully the next year or so will go by and things will end better next time.

boandmelissa
04-26-2007, 08:02 AM
thank you