View Full Version : Are your VO's thinking about what kind of jobs are available to him?

Jillian
01-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Im curious cause my husband has been thinking about this alot lately i noticed that in texas there is a list of things that ex felons cant have so i sent him that and he has been showing it to some of the other guys whom he says some thought they could get certain jobs but realize after reading it they cant.

So has your loved one thought about this aspect of release and if so does your state prevent them from having certain jobs?

thanks for sharing.

bunnyrun5
01-30-2007, 04:58 PM
My Hubbie is also wondering what will be available for him once released. Things may change a lot by that time though. He gets out 2015. So I am gonna wait until it close to him to be released then do the digging.

Jillian
01-30-2007, 07:33 PM
I understand what you are saying, have you and him ever talked about owning yall own business .

chickletone
01-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Good question E!! I was hoping there'd be more thoughts posted,but it's still early! My son and I have talked about it. Of course with him doing LWOP and my age and health issues.......well its more fantasy than reality right now. Plus he's way down in Ms.and I'm in WVa so thats gonna add more issues if or when he gets released. I have my own business so he'd work or inherit it. He's always worked in food or construction. He'd really love to have his own restaurant.But there's problems there~i.e. liquor licence. What were you and Hubby thinking of?

Jillian
01-31-2007, 11:14 AM
My husband wants to own his own tattoo business, or something doing with art, since he has been drawing since he was about 4 .lol.. I think the resturant idea is a great one maybe he will be able to let you or someone else get the liquor license for the business. Im glad that your son is thinking about this for despite his sentence it gives him something positive to look for .

MrsPhil
01-31-2007, 11:25 AM
This has to be so hard for all of our VO's. However, we are one of the lucky ones because his brother owns a business and will give him a job. But if we didn't have that option he would definately go in the tatoo business. He has done almost all of his own and a lot of others. My hope is for all of our guys to come home and not be judged for their past. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Jillian
01-31-2007, 02:47 PM
I am glad tht your man will be able to work for his brother, and you never know he may eventually branch out on his own . But its always good to have that support waiting for you at home

chickletone
01-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Even though we all are thinking ahead~ and in my case way way way ahead,we have to be diligent on what Bills they are trying to openly and backdoor into effect. Each State is different to some extent. Our loved ones have lost so much just because of the fact they are a convicted felon. In WVa. they tried to pass a bill that would make it a State law that a convicted felon could not hold a license for barber,hair stylist,or a tattoo~piercing tech. Lucky it didn't pass. Just keep an eye out ladies one line written in a bill could change all your plans! Sorry I'm not trying to burst anyones hopes and dreams,just want you to be aware.LOL

Jillian
02-04-2007, 01:39 PM
I am so glad that the bill didnt pass, cause that would be crazy. Does your state have a list of jobs ex felon can't attain? Texas does and there is a long list. You arent busting my hopes but you are opening my eyes that everything is always possible when you have the title ex felon.. thanks

chickletone
02-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Yes it does and not to step on toes but its the same for VO's as it is for SO's.Neither can work anywhere children would be,or live within 1000 ft of a school or playground. Thats just a couple of them.It's getting harder and harder to follow all the laws they keep coming up with.

babygirl350
02-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Hubby seems confident about his marketable skills. He has experience in several popular fields. He is fortunate that these fields will not prohibit his VO label to interfere. I am very thankful for that and happy for him as well.

Employment can be so difficult. I wish everyone could be fortunate to find work upon their release. It takes such a toll on not only the released inmate, but the family as well when they have to wait a long time to find employment.

Jillian
02-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Yes it does and not to step on toes but its the same for VO's as it is for SO's.Neither can work anywhere children would be,or live within 1000 ft of a school or playground. Thats just a couple of them.It's getting harder and harder to follow all the laws they keep coming up with.

Wow, that is good information to know, yea i have realize that some states even have the vo registries as well as the SO registry. Is that for only in west virgiina that dont allow vo's to work around children?

Jillian
02-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Hubby seems confident about his marketable skills. He has experience in several popular fields. He is fortunate that these fields will not prohibit his VO label to interfere. I am very thankful for that and happy for him as well.

Employment can be so difficult. I wish everyone could be fortunate to find work upon their release. It takes such a toll on not only the released inmate, but the family as well when they have to wait a long time to find employment.

I am glad that he is confident cause that will help him when he walks into those interviews. I wish him lots of luck in doing this as well.

I do wish that more states would implement programs to help ex inmates locate jobs. There are a few who do have these program but the programs are so lack of funding, they can barely help anyone . And when they do try it minimal help, stuff they cold pretty much do them selves.

chickletone
02-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Most of these aren't STATE LAWS they're City Ordinances,which are still enforced.In WVa we have our state, and/or city, village, municipal laws as well.The guys that I come in contact with have a hard time in the employment area. Some of my guys its a condition of their release that they find immediate employment~yet because of the labels put on them its darn near impossible.While jobs themselves are few and far between that label makes it more difficult. Around here there are a few Telemarketing firms that will give them a chance,and they start out at $8.00 - $10.00 per hr. Now tack on any restitution, fines, and court costs barely enough to support themselves much less a family. Now if you're a VO with a drug charge on your sheet you can't apply for any public asst. i.e. low income housing, foodstamps, medical, or asst.transportation. If you're caught living with someone else that does qualify they could lose all the help they're recieving and face possible charges or have to make restitution on all benifits they recieved while you were there. Doesn't matter if its your spouse or not.What it amounts to is if you're low-income you barely get a helping hand up~ if you're a released inmate ya just get stepped on no one cares you continue to pay over and over over. Sorry so long it just makes me mad.

Jillian
02-08-2007, 10:25 PM
no need to apologize chickle you are making some very good points.

Yea i have heard that whole public assitance thing, i think that is not fair to some extent ...That is the same as the educational thing as well, my ex boyfriend had a drug charge and was unable to apply for financial aid, so he could go to school and get some sort of schooling . Reasoning being they dont want them to come to the school selling the drugs. I was like wow, but if you are vo cause you were violent physically with someone you are more than welcome to get financial aid.. This was the way that the person (counselor) explained it too him. I was so upset that she talked to him like that , he was like well that is how everyone else has been treating him.. Its sad really

chickletone
02-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Thats just it they dangle this carrot out there then once they decide to make a change for the better to improve their life they snatch the carrot away! We don't want this that an the third yet we won't help you change. we'll hold you down and put as many roadblocks in your path as possible why? Cause we really don't want you to change.Without inmates where's all the slave labor?Wheres the control over the poor? Honestly how on earth would prisons make all the money they do if not for a neverending supply of inmates?Why do they put halfways houses within walking distance of bars, and strip clubs? Because they don't want you to succeed.Alot of times the schooling or training if you're lucky enough to get it at your prison isn't even recconized on the outside.its a vicious cycle that our government isn't interested in changing.

Jillian
03-30-2007, 07:53 PM
I know that texas has the Project RIO which some ex felons has a success rate in getting help while others says they werent of any help what so ever.

Also i noticed that Illinois now has a foundation called The Safer Foundation which helps ex cons find jobs and try to help them get back into the community.

I understand what you are saying Chickle , cause we have a halfway house about 30 mins from my mom's house, and there is 3 bars too the left and a little walk to the right you get 2 more. Its crazy, this half way house has been on the news for allowing drugs within its walls. I do feel that they can do alot more too help rehabilitate inmates.

mia_101
04-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Pen-Pal wants to know about this.

I'd like to know what kind of job will accept a person with a violent offense and tats all over - I mean sleeved on one arm and part on the other.

Jillian
04-09-2007, 11:20 PM
mia is this the one in texas ? does he plan on staying in texas

mia_101
04-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Yes, and yes. He has no place to parole to either. How does that work? Does his prison counselor call around to get him into a halfway house?

Jillian
04-09-2007, 11:23 PM
I am not sure how that works, in some cases i believe they can qualify to go to a halfway house, you can ask that question in the parole subforum in texas..

As far as jobs here is something that i found : http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215406

I hope this helps

mia_101
04-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks!

myliss
04-10-2007, 01:26 AM
well i dont know if deont'e is aware of what jobs will be open to him, but he has shown a great interest into real estate, so im really hoping he'll stick with that. anything that will keep him off the streets is fine with me. =)

Jillian
04-10-2007, 07:17 AM
The best thing for you too do is since he is intrested in real estate look into it for him and see if he is able to obtain his real estate license being a felon in your state. . You should be able to call a local real estate school and they will help you

mia_101
04-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Even without a real estate license, you can buy properties, renovate them, and rent out or sell them.

Jillian
04-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Even without a real estate license, you can buy properties, renovate them, and rent out or sell them.

as usual MIA - good point :D

12gauge
06-18-2007, 09:09 PM
My VO has full sleeves, leg tattoos, and a great job (it's brutal work but it pays well, and he enjoys it) doing concrete work and one of my best friends who has felony weapons charges against him and tons of ink has a middle management position in a factory.
They both had to start at the very bottom though. As long as your VO has motivation and the desire to stay on the up and up, he will find something that works with him, even if it isn't his dream job

mia_101
06-18-2007, 10:22 PM
When I ask my friend what he plans on doing, he says he doesn't know. Whatever he can...construction, roofing....he says he doesn't have many options.

It worries me because I'd think that will all that time in there he'd be cooking up some kind of ideas. I feel like if he's aimless when he's released how can he get anywhere?

He says he just knows he can't do what he did before.

Jillian
06-20-2007, 03:28 PM
When I ask my friend what he plans on doing, he says he doesn't know. Whatever he can...construction, roofing....he says he doesn't have many options.

It worries me because I'd think that will all that time in there he'd be cooking up some kind of ideas. I feel like if he's aimless when he's released how can he get anywhere?

He says he just knows he can't do what he did before.

actually they have a few options but its not always easy ut its possible , many i know do the offshore work cause it pays really good and it doesnt discriminate.

Jillian
06-20-2007, 03:31 PM
My VO has full sleeves, leg tattoos, and a great job (it's brutal work but it pays well, and he enjoys it) doing concrete work and one of my best friends who has felony weapons charges against him and tons of ink has a middle management position in a factory.
They both had to start at the very bottom though. As long as your VO has motivation and the desire to stay on the up and up, he will find something that works with him, even if it isn't his dream job

This is so true , thanks for sharing about your loved one andfriend experience. It shows that sometimes it maybe hard but its not impossible just keep their head up and stay focused.

rdw3840
08-02-2007, 12:07 PM
I worry about my hubby getting a job like most of us whether its vo or other. The only thing I can say is that I'll hold him down and encourage him that something will happen for him. I also know someone who did 25 yrs and is in charge of a cleaning company. It may not be what he'd like to do however, it will help foster his indepence.

Jillian
08-03-2007, 02:48 AM
I worry about my hubby getting a job like most of us whether its vo or other. The only thing I can say is that I'll hold him down and encourage him that something will happen for him. I also know someone who did 25 yrs and is in charge of a cleaning company. It may not be what he'd like to do however, it will help foster his indepence.

Its great that after 25 years he is able to be in charge of a company regardless of if he likes it or not its good that someone gave him that chance. Many of those in prison have became their own bosses. True they have to start off slow and then work their way into gaining or opening their own businesses but the hard work is rewarding.

hopefully our loved ones are all able to get jobs when they get home and if they are having any troubles they can find a program that has been created to help ex inmates find jobs and have a brighter future

VAC
08-24-2007, 12:45 PM
I think about this from time to time, for when my baby comes home. he has been down for a minute and he is going to need a job aswell.

Jillian
08-24-2007, 12:48 PM
I think about this from time to time, for when my baby comes home. he has been down for a minute and he is going to need a job aswell.

Some states have a program that helps the inmates find jobs, tell him to talk to the counselor and see if there are anything like that available to him