View Full Version : What is White Lightening

Marri
01-28-2007, 07:54 PM
My man mentioned an alcoholic drink called 'white lightening' in his letter? What is it? Is it normal for inmates to drink it?

FriscoLady
01-28-2007, 08:07 PM
There are many names for it, Hooch, White Lighting, corn liquor if your in the back country.

Never had any prison brew for by the time I went in I was dry, but had some in High School.

Most of it homemade, though in California at one point, a watered downed version was sold in the Liquor stores. All of the homemade you don't know usually what is in it or how potent it is.

It can be fermented in prison but it is contraband, so it is not something talked about openly.

Patti

LongHaul
01-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Its also called pruno.

If you get caught with it, it can mean loss of good time, or worse.

I also understand that it tastes NASTY, and wrecks the liver quickly.

justus1
01-28-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm sure that does taste nasty. Every time we had fruit on their trays, I knew we were in for some "brewin'". All it takes is some fruit, sugar and they can get yeast from almost any bread product.

If "moonshine" or "white lightening" is made by someone who knows what they're doing? Well, all I can say is, the store bought whiskey will no longer have anything close to a good flavor anymore.

However it IS extremely strong, and therefore I would imagine it is harder on the liver than the stuff you buy in the store.

Alcohol is something I wish no one had ever discovered how to make.

t-towndoc
01-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Its trouble for sure. I wont say I didnt drink any when I was locked up but idle minds are the devils playground. If I had been caught it would have been really severe.

justvicki
01-28-2007, 11:33 PM
In West Virginia White Lightening is also called Moonshine. Stuff made in prison is called "hooch".

burdenedwife
01-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Back in my day, white lightening was high grain alcohol-you could use it to light a zippo lighter- it made that stuff called 'everclear' look like kool-aid. Thats probably why it was outlawed so many years ago but I have seen mason jars in the liquor stores and its labled "moonshine". I was never brave enough to check it out and see if it was the same quality as the stuff brought in from the deep woods. (haha)

KayTee
01-31-2007, 06:31 AM
Hi - in the UK, it's a super-strength cider - sunno if that helps ? :)

SpicaRigel
02-01-2007, 07:47 PM
the one time i drank it i had the WORST hangover in my life! yikes and tina turner! my head hurt sooooooooooo bad!!!

mia_101
02-01-2007, 10:54 PM
One swallow and I thought I was going to hurl.....really hard not to, as a matter of fact. But then I can't drink anything straight.

GHOTI
02-02-2007, 12:21 AM
White Lightning requires a fairly sophisticated setup to distill. It is just about impossible to make and run such a still in prison.

What they are bragging about is simply Hooch. You can make that yourself at home. Throw some old bread or sometimes potatoes (or a package of yeast) in a jar with some sugar, and let it sit on top of your hot water heater (or any hot appliance) for a couple of weeks, and you will have the putrid crap they drink.

But, trust me, it's not worth the bother. It is truly rotgut.

Now true Moonshine (White Lithtning) can be a fine (although powerful) drink if made by someone who knows what they are doing.

FriscoLady
02-02-2007, 12:38 AM
the putrid crap they drink.

But, trust me, it's not worth the bother. It is truly rotgut.

that is exactly what my cellie called it! "putrid crap" and trust me from her description it is not worth the bother!

Patti

GHOTI
02-02-2007, 09:08 AM
One more short comment on this. And I am not just singling out this one post... my concerns stretch into literally hundreds of posts on here.

With about every fifth post I read on here, we have sad and surprising examples of how much a change in thinking is needed. But it so often doesn't seem to be coming.

Please, give me a break. These are supposed to be grown men not little boys still testing Mommy and Daddy to see how much they can get away with. What the heck is going on?

I (and several other people here) have mentioned that there are just a few rules they are asked to follow. And making (or drinking) hooch is a deliberate violation of those simple rules. In fact you have to go far out of your way to break this one. But the violations seem to be sought out in every area of daily life. The thinking seems to be that they think it is a requirement of prison life to get written up. And, by God, they're going to find a way, if it kills them.

I have to admit to being confused how risking hole time, loss of visiting, loss of phone and mail privileges ... not to mention losing gain time already earned is demonstrating concern for the future with their families or maturity of any sort.

If they like prison, and intend to be in and out for most of their lives anyway... well that's one thing. In that case, I see nothing wrong with just doing whatever your little heart desires. I sure did..... until I grew up a little, and chose to become a free man one day.

Sorry to maybe hurt some feelings by asking all this. I'm just having a real hard time getting a grip on this. Why deliberately risk so much, and take a chance of adding even one more day to your time away from your family, if your honest goal is to get back home to them?

A lot of this ranting comes from watching my stupid brother's behavior. I apologize if I'm not dealing with it too well.

boflipflops36
02-02-2007, 10:03 AM
White Lighting is made from , corn, water, fermented, cook it off , run threw copper tube,to keep the poison down, if they used galvnized it poison the liquor, have to use copper kettle also,
corn liquior00can be 150 content, can also make it in charted barrells, leave it a long time, its got color too it. Taste better.
That is not much help. but its really Rot Gut!!

Jokerz Mija
02-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Uhh Ew...I cant imagine anything worse than Everclear...that was enough for me LOL but yea...Hooch...no thanks...I'm glad the yard Jorge is on is clean.

briansma
04-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Had a neighbor who would bring it home when he visited his hillbilly clan. He drank it like water from an ice tea glass. My husband tried one swallow ~ it took his breath away, turned his face red, and he had me look in his throat to make sure everything was still there. He thought it burned his tonsils off. Great stuff.

By the way ~ that neighbor drank himself to death before the age of 45. Lot's of DUIs, but never went to prison. Maybe if he had he would have been around a little longer?!?

JamiesGirl06
04-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Although I have never had "hooch", I have had a very sophisticated "moonshine". That crap was so strong, it burned my throat, literally. It hurt for over a week! They say that if you can drink it, (get it down), it creeps up on you, and you it can actually kill you. I can't even get it down, so there is no concern there!

ParoledIn98
04-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Just goes to show ya that a true alcoholic will go to any means necessary to get that drink. They could care less about a rule infraction. I have sat in the craft shop and watched people drink leather dye solvent...it's 90% or so alcohol...I have also seen folks go blind and I have seen folks die from drinking various cleaners that had the wrong type of alcohol as an ingrediant. This happens on a daily basis in there. Those of you that have posted know exactly what I mean.

Crone
04-21-2007, 06:05 AM
One more short comment on this. And I am not just singling out this one post... my concerns stretch into literally hundreds of posts on here.

With about every fifth post I read on here, we have sad and surprising examples of how much a change in thinking is needed. But it so often doesn't seem to be coming.

Please, give me a break. These are supposed to be grown men not little boys still testing Mommy and Daddy to see how much they can get away with. What the heck is going on?

I (and several other people here) have mentioned that there are just a few rules they are asked to follow. And making (or drinking) hooch is a deliberate violation of those simple rules. In fact you have to go far out of your way to break this one. But the violations seem to be sought out in every area of daily life. The thinking seems to be that they think it is a requirement of prison life to get written up. And, by God, they're going to find a way, if it kills them.

I have to admit to being confused how risking hole time, loss of visiting, loss of phone and mail privileges ... not to mention losing gain time already earned is demonstrating concern for the future with their families or maturity of any sort.

If they like prison, and intend to be in and out for most of their lives anyway... well that's one thing. In that case, I see nothing wrong with just doing whatever your little heart desires. I sure did..... until I grew up a little, and chose to become a free man one day.

Sorry to maybe hurt some feelings by asking all this. I'm just having a real hard time getting a grip on this. Why deliberately risk so much, and take a chance of adding even one more day to your time away from your family, if your honest goal is to get back home to them?

A lot of this ranting comes from watching my stupid brother's behavior. I apologize if I'm not dealing with it too well.

Excellent post!! :thumbsup: