View Full Version : Suicide after prison

married2axcon
01-18-2007, 09:31 PM
My husband commited suicide on 6/27/06. He had been to prison 3 times and the first 2 times they seemed to be able to identify his mental issues and address them. He last time down he slipped through the system. He was sent back for not cooperating at the half way house. He was on med's at the half way house, when they sent him back they asked him if he was on meds and he said no and no one ever checked. That's how he managed to get off of them and since then had been on a out of control spiral. I'm trying to understand how a knowen schizophrinic/bi polar/personality disorder/suicidal/x cutter was allowed to fall through the system like that. Any insights would be helpful. I'm trying to coop the best I can and I just need to make some sence of this. Thanks.:cry:

CountryCutie
01-18-2007, 09:38 PM
i dont have any words of advice or wisdom for you but i want you to know i am so sorry for what you are going through...my heart hurts for you {{{huggz}}}
pm me if you need to talk or vent or cry
Jenn

married2axcon
01-18-2007, 09:42 PM
It's really hard to admit he's gone and theres no good reason for him to be.

MissTara
01-18-2007, 10:06 PM
I have no words of advice for you. But Im very sorry for your loss and my thoughts and prayers are with you

married2axcon
01-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Thank you

EricNLynsA
01-18-2007, 10:19 PM
This is veery hard to hear and I am very sorry for your loss.

Have you called around to the system directors and asked who to report this to? I think they should know that this needs to be checked more carefully for future inmates. Here in Texas our people don't get anything. Once you get in you are cut off of anything you may have had. Cold Turkey. They don;t care what the consequences are. At least in the regular units. I think here you have to be in like a psych area to get the meds you need so it has to be serious like your baby was. I would really look into it and put some things in writting and find out what you can do to have them start checking this out better. Maybe this will help prevent future losses like this. This is terrible. Good luck with everything.

married2axcon
01-18-2007, 10:33 PM
I tried calling them after he died and got the big run around. Yea I think they know he screwed up and dont want to admit it. Iowa is a med happy state they will medicate u if u cough wrong.

pmitch10
01-25-2007, 04:52 AM
www.wrongfuldeathinstitute.com (http://www.wrongfuldeathinstitute.com)

dwarnex
01-25-2007, 03:42 PM
I Feel Your Pain Every Bit Of It. They Say My Son Committed Sucide In Prison 8-16-06 They Say He Hung Himself And Would Not Give Me Any More Information I Have So Meany Questions But They Say That His Death Is Still Under Investigation. They Would'nt Sent Me A Copy Of The Altopsey Report, They Wont Send Me His Personal Belongings Or Takl To Me At All They Say I Have To Speek To Their Lawer. So I Had To Get A Lawer To Get Some Answers. I Truely Feel Your Pain Chris Was 20 Years Old And He Was Suppose To Get Out This Feb 17 And The Closer That Date Gets The More I Hurt, I Am Sorry That There Is Someone Like Me Out There That Is Hurting The Same Way I Am . I Really Know How You Feel. If your ever need some to talk too you can e-mailme at any time * email address removed please PM member*

bookieworm2000
01-25-2007, 06:27 PM
My heart goes out to you both. Sending both of you huge hugs. I sincerely hope you both can find out what happened to help you understand. Jackie

married2axcon
01-25-2007, 06:59 PM
I think the worst part is he slipped through the doc and they never checked to make sure he wasnt lying about his meds. He told them no he's not meds when in fact he was on a ton of them at the 1/2 way house. He was severely mentally ill. I just kinda would like answers as to how he slipped through the system and when he finally realized he needed help why he was turned away.

Kay
01-25-2007, 07:17 PM
My deepest regrets for your loss to both of you. Prayers for you and your families. Katy

Rachel
01-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Rachel

deb
01-25-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm so sorry you're both having to go thru this.... My thoughts are with you and I hope you get answers... ((hugs))

Deb

mrsdragoness
01-25-2007, 08:17 PM
I"m sorry for your loss.. you and yours are in our thoughts and prayers..

mr and mrs d.

Valerie
01-25-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this about both of your loved one's. I wish I knew how to help.

Kahlan
01-25-2007, 09:01 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. We will continue to be here for you and your family. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

California Sunshine
01-25-2007, 09:25 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss's,thinking of you both (((HUGS)))

Jillian
01-25-2007, 10:47 PM
(((hugs)) to both of you, you both and your families are in my thoughts and prayers

married2axcon
01-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Thank u.

justus1
01-26-2007, 12:51 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your losses. I wish I had the words to say to make you feel better.

Don't stop asking questions, and get an attorney if you have to. Contact the Wrongful Death and Injury institute, the link that was provided by another poster. They can tell you what you need to do, or possibly help you get the answers themselves.

The facility your husband was in? Their intake department messed up BIG TIME, next would be the medical department. If the halfway house was connected with corrections, even through the "parole department", then they should have had a file on your husband, which would have, or SHOULD have included any meds he was taking. You said that he was sent BACK to prison because of the trouble he was causing at that halfway house...how the facility COULDN'T have know about his mental health issues, is beyond me.

Keep at it. They screwed up and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

Good luck with getting the information you seek.

May God grand you peace....

AmyLynn
01-26-2007, 05:00 AM
I'm so sorry for you loss.

TerriB
01-26-2007, 07:46 AM
I am sorry for your losses, your in my prayers both of you and your families.

MurphyGirl
01-26-2007, 08:08 AM
My deepest condolences to your both....

Ann

KayTee
01-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi again hun - i am SO sorry, i had NO idea when we messaged each other the other night :( Have only today realised (read) what happened and I am SO proud of you that throughout all, you are reaching out and trying to help others like my two pals.

You are truly UNIQUE and he would be SO proud of you !!!

luv ya

Marie x

FriscoLady
01-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Both of you and your families are in our hearts and prayers.

Patti

vince's angel
01-26-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm so sorry to hear you've lost a loved one. Don't let them get by with anything. Keep checking into all the details. DON"T GIVE UP!!! That's what the prison officials want U to do. Keep documentation on everything. Even the time and date of the phone calls U make and recieve and the exact words of each conversation on both parties ends. Documentation, believe it or not, can be the key to all evidence. Please come here when U need to talk. And remember you're never alone!!

mlynnm
01-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Sorry for your loss, my prayers are with you all.

married2axcon
01-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Oh trust me they wont shut me up. They helped take my best friend away from me. I'm going to my grave fighting. Fort dodge correctional facility in fort dodge iowa screwed up big time. The other 2 prisons he was in knew he was on meds and kept him on them, the half way house knew it and kept him on it, so why did fdcf let him slide through? Esp when he had a heck of a rep for being insane? The co's knew all about him when he stepped of the bus there. Even INMATES reported something wasnt right with "the lil dude". Doesn't about bashing someone skull in w/ a weight make anyone wonder if somethings wrong w/ him? That's not the only place I'm having problems with. I can't get a copy of his autopsy from the dci lab in Ankeny Iowa either or from the fort dodge police department. I got tipped off by someone listening to the scanner the night he died that he was most likely still alive when they got him down (hence 2 different times on his death certificate). NO one did cpr on him. No one even tried. So basically my baby laid on a dirt floor in the gradge for a half an hour dying alone w/ strangers ( and he hated strangers) and NO ONE let me go out there. Talk about makin me feel like sh** after hearing that. No worries I won't give up and I'll never shut up. He may not have ment anything to those people but he ment everything to me.

married2axcon
01-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Thank you everyone. Keep fighting for your loved ones and never let them be forgotten or slip through the system. Everyone is human and deserves to be be treated like one. **HUGS**

Jersey116
01-27-2007, 05:23 AM
You and your family are in our prayers.

married2axcon
01-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Thank you.

pjadam319
01-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Wow I am sorry. It is good that you can openly share your story

StacysWar030
01-28-2007, 09:20 AM
((((HUGS)))) to you & your family. Keep fighting for the answers. I agree, this should have NEVER happened. No way they didn't know he was on meds & needed to stay on meds.

You will be in my prayers.

Stacy

UBO
01-28-2007, 09:22 AM
My condolences to you both.

married2axcon
01-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Thank you.

lilgirlblue
01-28-2007, 08:48 PM
I am so sorry for both your losses. What a terrible thing to go thru. Unfortunately mental illness is a tricky thing to deal with in the medical field and not just in the prison system. I am a retired RN and my favorite is the mentally ill. Like addiction the disease of mental illness convinces the person they are ok and don't need the meds etc so they often lie etc or stop their meds on their own thinking they don't need them. Also there is also the fact that a patient has the right to refuse meds also.. So even if a person is supposed to take meds or is even on them they can refuse them unfortunately no matter how ill they are. It is a weird thing..just like old people "have the right to fall".. You can't restrain them to keep them from hurting themselves exactly. I have been through one suicide attempt with my boyfriend when we were together before when my son was first born and it wasn't fun. He was on his meds but decided to start drinkin and using on top of them then overdosed with his meds intentionally. So I have been on both sides of the fence but fortunately not with the loss that you two are experiencing. I know this info is no concellation to what you are going through but hopefully it gives just a different opinion is all. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones.. THanks for sharing your grief so that others can do the same..

married2axcon
01-29-2007, 11:51 AM
I am so sorry for both your losses. What a terrible thing to go thru. Unfortunately mental illness is a tricky thing to deal with in the medical field and not just in the prison system. I am a retired RN and my favorite is the mentally ill. Like addiction the disease of mental illness convinces the person they are ok and don't need the meds etc so they often lie etc or stop their meds on their own thinking they don't need them. Also there is also the fact that a patient has the right to refuse meds also.. So even if a person is supposed to take meds or is even on them they can refuse them unfortunately no matter how ill they are. It is a weird thing..just like old people "have the right to fall".. You can't restrain them to keep them from hurting themselves exactly. I have been through one suicide attempt with my boyfriend when we were together before when my son was first born and it wasn't fun. He was on his meds but decided to start drinkin and using on top of them then overdosed with his meds intentionally. So I have been on both sides of the fence but fortunately not with the loss that you two are experiencing. I know this info is no concellation to what you are going through but hopefully it gives just a different opinion is all. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones.. THanks for sharing your grief so that others can do the same..

I'd tell his story a million times if it will help just one family. I want his death to mean something.

RIP WILLIAM BRACKSTON HAMMER 3/8/76 TO 6/27/06

TIPsGIRL
02-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Wow, my heart goes out to you. I wonder how something that seems so obvious to the naked eye was ignored for so long. I am really sorry for your loss. This is crazy...they institutionalize our guys in hopes and promises that they will come out as better men, but if the prison systems aren't holding up their end of the deal....whats the point?
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Timmsgirl
03-22-2007, 10:25 AM
I am so sorry for your loss and I will pray for you and your family!

Have you considered hiring an attorney? What about contacting your local media - news, paper, radio? Write them and tell them your story and maybe you'll find someone with a sympathetic ear who will broadcast it and draw attention to your situation. I saw someone provided a link to the wrongful death institute, have you contacted them?
I hope you are able to get some help with your situation so you might be able to find some peace with all that's happened. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! :)

SpicaRigel
03-22-2007, 05:16 PM
really sorry for both of you. it amazes me how people are alowed to slip thru. my friend that just got out, he has alot of the same disoreders and i've heard him state he wanted to kill himself. it scares me he may go like this. wow. i just really feel for the both of you. i'm praying for you both. sounds like you are channeling your grief in the right direction. go for it.

imissrandy
03-22-2007, 08:33 PM
I am very sorry for you, my prayers are with you, it's not right how he wasn't monitored on his meds or mental condition. Hang in there!

Hugs
God bless you

candy
03-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Sorry for you loss. You are in my prayers.

Mrs.Reyes
03-24-2007, 07:59 PM
I am so sorry... how can a system so big let something so important slip them by? there is no excuse. Things like this make me so angry. You know what gets me...That I understand people in jail for a reason. But where in the book does it say that they become animals when in custody. It is horrible to know how they are treated once in the system. The system is so fake it is a setup to get the inmates to feel less of them selfs.

Rainbozz
04-20-2007, 11:47 AM
I know it has been a while since this post but if you still check it,concerning your husband suicide,1st i want to say that my heart goes out to you,i know the pain and guilt must be overwhelming,but i think the problem lies in the fact that they cannot medicate you against your will,
I am almost certain,that no matter what the illness,an inmate has a right to refuse any and all meds, and if they tell the dr.they don't hear voices,or think of suiicide,or that they are severely depressed,etc.then the dr.will not prescribe anything, even had they known about his past,it still does not allow them to force him to take medication,I'm so sorry

viclovesiv
04-20-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't have any advice but i am sorry for what you are going through. you are in my prayers.

CMaJoR
06-06-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm just kinda shocked they let him slip through the cracks like that.. here I know if theres ANYthing wrong, even like you said if you cough wrong they give you meds.. thats so so wrong he didn't get them. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, though :(

rodeointx
06-20-2007, 11:59 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. My husband is alive but suffers from depression and is currently in jail with a blue warrant I feel your pain. I have recently learned of the pscyhological impact of incarceration and post prison adjustment which is what my husband suffers from. He has been to prison 4 times he turned 21 in prison and was paroled at the age of 34. His entire adult life was spent behind bars. Little things that us in the free world take for granted like being able to depend on utility bills coming each month we can count on those more than we can count on our cars to start each morning or kids fighting or running kids back and forth to the sport of choice or making time deadlines throw the post prison person into another world. they have no skills or tools to cope with these things. many return to jail or pick up the old addiction that lead to jail in the first place just to get back there so they are safe with the only life they know. here in texas prisoners are not given any prerelease tools to help with the grind of daily life that us in the free world just do as a second nature. i am angry because my husband has held thought of killing him self. doing time wont fix that he needs help mentally. the prison system knows this happens to inmates and does not do anything to help them. and then they hurt them selfs like your poor husband and we are left trying to cope or understand what has happened on our own. many of us have not been to prison so we really do not know the full impact that it has on people who have spent long times there.

see if these articles have any insite for you, i know my husband is a classic example of this. i am in a mad rush to safe him from jail time as it will only make matters worse. my prayers are with you

NATIONAL POLICY CONFERENCE
From Prison to Home:
The Effect of Incarceration and Reentry on
Children, Families and Communities
January 3031, 2002
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
The Urban Institute

pmitch10
06-21-2007, 05:01 AM
That would make a great study........the effects of having been incarcerated within our prison systems and reintegrating back into society and the effects upon the inmate, family and society as a result.....

I would think that depression would be a natural by-product of anybody being in jail/prison and should be treated accordingly with either self-help instruction, faith-based teachings, education, exercise, career lifestyles, and medication if needed, along with continued family communication and contact visits that allow good old-fashioned hugs and kisses from loved ones.

I am sorry for what you have had to go through and are continuing to go through. May the good Lord give you His wisdom, strength, hope, and encouragement and may you feel His love and peace surrounding you.