View Full Version : murder at bellamy

EJ69
01-17-2007, 05:54 PM
I was just wondering if anyone heard anything about a murder at bellamy in Ionia? I was on my way to work this morning and just caught the tail end of the news on the radio, and that was all I heard. So I wondered by chance if someone eles heard anything?

mrsdragoness
01-17-2007, 06:35 PM
I hadn't heard anything..checking the net now.

mlynnm
01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
I didn't hear anything either. I'll be keeping my eyes here for an update.

LilSis08
01-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Found this on www.woodtv.com out of GR
prolly not posting right but here ya go
Ionia prisoner murdered
Updated: var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("Jan 16, 2007 12:04 PM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);Jan 16, 2007 12:04 PM
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript1.1'>if (document.layers) {document.write('<SCR' + 'IPT language=JavaScript1.1 SRC=/Global/ad.asp?type=single&cls1=News&src1=loc&spct1=100&sz 1=wnsz_20&callType=script />'); document.close();}</SCRIPT>coreAdsCreate('wnsz_20', 'loc', '100');
http://woodtv.images.worldnow.com/images/static/gfx/pxl_trans.gif

IONIA - An inmate at the state prison in Ionia was murdered over the weekend.
Though the murder at the Bellamy Creek facility was confirmed by the State Department of Corrections, no further details have been released.
24 Hour News 8 will have more information later this afternoon.

Of course there is no info after this ... Sorry about that...

EJ69
01-17-2007, 06:46 PM
They had it listed on the web site for woodtv8 all it said was an bellamy inmate was murdered over the week and that MDOC confrimed it and more details latter and it was dated for 1/16/07.

saylah
01-17-2007, 08:18 PM
I am so sorry to say that it's true. My source says that a white guy in 5 block beat his bunky to death with a trash can.

Lions Heart
01-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Yep! That is what I heard as well. Of course I heard it was over something really stupid. Bellamy is not a nice place to be right now and they really need to shake it up a bit. Over the Holidays they were locked down quite often and a day after the CO's shook down a cell block a guy was stabbed. That place seems to have a lot of guys in there that really make time rough. I know a few years ago they had the same thing and MDOC did a lot of moves and it settled down for a while but its definitely brewing again. I hope my guy gets transferred out. He has been down too long to have to deal with this kind of crap.

mabear
01-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Prisoner death at Bellamy Creek
By the Sentinel-Standard
January 17, 2007

IONIA - Reports of a murder at Bellamy Creek Correctional Facility have not been confirmed, although an official at the Michigan Department of Corrections said, “A prisoner did die at the Bellamy Creek facility on Saturday.” He did not say it was a murder, and referred any further questions to Ionia County Prosecutor Ronald Schafer.

http://www.sentinel-standard.com/articles/2007/01/18/news/03news.txt

mlynnm
01-19-2007, 01:42 AM
How sad! :(

Lions Heart
01-19-2007, 09:01 AM
The story that I heard was that his bunkie beat him to death with a trash can. I'm sure that MDOC and the state police are conducting an investigation.

Chris' Gal
01-19-2007, 04:44 PM
My gosh is that terrible. This is a dumb question; but was it on the hill or in the dorms?

AmberLynn_05
01-19-2007, 06:23 PM
what is the hill?

mabear
01-19-2007, 09:27 PM
January 18, 2007

On his 51st birthday he was killed in Bellamy Creek Correctional Facility in Ionia where he was serving five to ten years. Department of Corrections officials would not say it was a murder, though other media sources have made that claim.

By the Sentinel-Standard
http://www.sentinel-standard.com/articles/2007/01/19/news/02news.txt

Rah'sMommy
01-19-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm not from Michigan, but the minor details surrounding this unfortunate incident are very disturbing... And then to hear LD state how this facility has been a powder keg for a while is alarming. What's being done to diffuse this thing? Are they just going to continue to play musical chairs with the inmates and continually move them around..? My heart goes out to the PTO members who have loved ones in this facility... :( I hope all will be safe.

Lions Heart
01-19-2007, 10:42 PM
In Michigan it is not unusual for them to play musical facilities with some guys. I talked to my guy about that facility and he said that it has a lot to do with how it's run and how people are treated there. I also hope that everyone is safe and some changes for the better come as a result of this.

EJ69
01-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks mabear for the articles. MDOC just makes me so mad, to me they sugar coat the articles to make it look they dont have nothing to do with it. Then puts in all the crimes he has done, but where is the good things he has done in his life? What about his family that he leaves behind? We'll just make him look like a bad person and now we are not responsible. Got to love how they think and do. Of course it wouldnt be there fault, being that the prison is so over crowed and all of the things that they have taken from the inmates. Sorry just had to vent, but my thoughts and prayers are going out to this mans family.

ilovecharles
01-20-2007, 12:50 PM
I know that since my fiance has been at Egeler he has seen one suicide (his second day there) and since then 3 inmates "pushed" over the edge of the fourth floor gallery. i didnt hear anything about that in the news. i am surpised the murder at bellamy actually made headlines...all i can think about is the families of the inmates and hope that i never get that call. my prayers go out every day a couple times a day for the families of inmates.

HOPE4FUTURE
01-20-2007, 02:23 PM
This is really hard for me to believe because the only garbage cans that I remember in a prison were plastic.

deb
01-20-2007, 02:28 PM
ilovecharles--Bill's told me about many suicides, murders etc.. over the years too and I very seldom see anything mentioned at all about any of them in the media...

Westshoreline has been a powderkeg for awhile now with several stabbings over the holidays as well....

My thoughts are with this guy's family...

Deb

luckyanna
01-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Has anyone heard about the outbreak of an airborn virus at Riverside which has the whole facility quarantined?

Lions Heart
01-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Yep the only trashcans I remember were plastic too. I'm sure there was more contact than with just a trashcan.

There has been articles about the norovirus at Riverside. From what I heard they have started to allow bleach back into the facility so that it can be cleaned thoroughly. The paper said 110 outbreaks. My guy got a letter from a friend there who said 500. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.

sugarhill
01-24-2007, 09:03 AM
where were the guards lets get real a trash can it must have been going on for some time to end in death this is very sad ans disterbing that this man was not protected you can make me believe the guards should have stepped in and saved this man oh they were probally in the office o i better stop

Lions Heart
01-24-2007, 09:48 AM
After the guys are locked down the officers do rounds but you have to remember that the units are very loud at times because the guys yell to each other through the doors and cracks. It wouldn't be unheard of to not hear someone getting beat. This man also wasn't in the best of health. If you hit someone just right it really doesn't take much to seriously hurt someone. I'm truly sorry that this happened and I pray all the time that our loved ones continue to remain safe.

misshim138
01-24-2007, 07:52 PM
I find it disturbing that in the article they had to mention the crimes he was in for. Does that make it all right that someone murdered him? He was a bad person and deserved to die like that? Unbelievable. I have so had it with MDOC and the State of Michigan. Wish I could leave here, but with him in I'm stuck here too. I live in fear all the time that something will happen to him. When will it end?

Lions Heart
01-25-2007, 11:54 AM
You're right. I see no reason or purpose to mention why he was incarcerated. I am sure that it was just to distract from the fact that MDOC did not ensure his safety while in their custody.