View Full Version : The words "Violent Offender" mean nothing to me!

Jus' Mom
08-29-2003, 09:52 PM
My youngest son has 2 violent crimes. He commited 'NO' violence in either! The first, a burglary, no one was at home and he went through the garage only to come out without entering the house, or taking anything! Violent, Burglary
The second, his girlfried had her mother over at our place (at the time a second story of an apt complex)they were moving his girlfriend out. Both the mother and daughter were downstairs loading their pickup. My son came from out of nowhere, ran up the stairs to his room, saw a purse, took it, ran down the stairs and down the parking lot. The mother saw him with her purse and chased after him. Because she tripped (wasn't hurt at all but the cop eventually convinced her she should see a doctor). My son is NOT violent! yet he's got violent crimes! Now I wonder how many others there are!

haswtch
09-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Ah, labels...My V.O. has never wounded another human. He isn't even rude unless under EXTREME stress. What a load it is in some cases.

Jus' Mom
09-09-2003, 11:16 PM
He isn't violent is the point
Because of drugs things happened, none of it was right but that's not the point I was trying to make at this particular time. 'He' didn't hurt anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They charged him with robbery, which is considered a violent crime and a strike. He took the purse from his own bedroom, not a person. No one was even in the apartment but him at the time.....sounds like theft to me.. which is a yr in county jail, no strike. May sound like bull, I can't help that! Live in this county a week, they do want they want, charge what they want, and only charge who they want, no friends, family, etc..I realize that happens everywhere not just here but this is a small county. Here, unlike a large city, everyone either knows, knows of or has heard of everyone else. Word gets around pretty fast..about everyone. When you see/hear time after time, crimes that are alot more serious than my sons, and the people not even getting charged yet my son is now not only considered (on paper) a violent person but getting a strike along with it....It's not right! -You are more than welcomed to your opinion but so am I. And the other big thing here is snitches. There are snitches that should have had their 3rd strike long ago but because of snitching they are let go right away (like days). Soon as they are out they are right back at what they did in the first place (burglaries, whatever). Oh well, they know all they have to do is snitch again. Problem here is... yeah, most of the time the people they snitched on were up to something, but, how many times did the snitch do something that he wasn't caught for. In some cases alot more than the people he snitched on. Strike, Strike Strike for them. The snitch, he is still out on the streets. -If everyone was treated equal I wouldn't complain but they aren't! --I wish I was better with words so I could not only get my point across but get it across in a lot less words when I do try.

Jus' Mom
09-09-2003, 11:35 PM
Okay, maybe I misunderstood 'you' instead, I don't know. I did find some of your other posts and you seemed more..... If I took what you said 'here' wrong, I'm sorry. If you didn't warrant all that rambling on then at least maybe it will explain to whom ever else might read it and think I'm just feeling sorring for myself or my 'poor little baby'. (Maybe I am, but with reason!)

Judge Not
09-09-2003, 11:53 PM
Hi Mom,
I've got a good one for ya!!

6 months ago, my 15 year old nephew stuck his hand up a girls shirt, with several other kids in the room, she told him to "knock it off", and that was it....

Fast forward to today. He is now a "1st degree sex offender"!! He took a polygraph, which proved that he's a virgin, has never kissed a girl, and has never been alone with a girl. A first degree offender is a VIOLENT offender!

Soooo, not only is this little virgin a sex offender, he's a VIOLENT SEX OFFENDER!!!

I'm still in shock.... Amazing how our system is so just....

I hear you, and I totally agree... Wonder who makes these rules??

Jus' Mom
09-10-2003, 12:48 AM
That is horrible! Did he appeal? Not only do the laws need changed but the Prosecuting Attys. and judges (if they don't now) need someone over them to make sure the charge and sentence fit the crime! And, the PD's to be made to show some sort of proof of what they actually did (besides get these young kids to take a plea bargain) to earn their pay from the county. -Your nephews case does beat all that I've heard. I'd want that judge checked out. -Must be hard on him and all of you close to him. (Can 15 yr olds appeal? I didn't think of that when I asked earlier.)

Judge Not
09-10-2003, 01:18 AM
The problem with this is that if he wouldn't have plea bargained, he would have had to be locked up for who knows how long. His attorney told my sister that it would be better this way!!! For who??? HIM???

I wasn't there for that conversation, if I would have been I would have told them "no way", he's a virgin!!!

My sister didn't think he could handle being locked up though, he's a country boy, and basically lives out on the farm... I don't know...

She's thinking about filing against her attorney though because he gave her some bad advice.

My nephew can no longer go hunting with his daddy,(violent offenders can't have weapons), he can't be around a minor child without adult supervision (no girlfriends for him), he must submit to a polygraph every two months (which my sister has to pay for each time($200), and could never be used against him in a court of law anyway), he has to get counseling from a "child sex offender counselor", twice a month (he needs it after what the system has done to him, but my sister pays $85 a session) until the judge releases him from the charges, and he is registered until he's 18 and can then go before the judge and ask to be released from the charge.

Like I say, it's a shocker and something that should never happen to an innocent child... He has been totally devastated by this, humiliated, violated, you name it, and yes, my whole family... I cry for him as I type this because this is the system that I'm supposed to believe in and be willing to die for...:pissed:

Jus' Mom
09-10-2003, 05:27 AM
I've got to look around the internet about this! That whole case (beginning to end) is totally outrageous. - I had my son get ahold of The State Bar as his atty. was totally ineffective. In response all they could say was (if the outcome would have been the same....pleading not guilty)...then nothing would be done about the atty. as he wouldn't be considered ineffective. WA might be different as well as juvenile representation. -Going by your posts: The Prosecuting DA's always take things to the extreme so they have some play when plea bargaining...so I guess that would be expected. But, sounds like between the atty. and the judge your nephew didn't have a chance! What seems totally bazaar is the judge! And all those different charges! Your sister must have agreed to paying for all that 'before' the plea was accepted, right? -I've actually got 2 sons in prison. The first 3 yrs I slept 23 out of 24 hrs a day (guess subconciously I slept so I didn't have to think about anything). Since I found this website PTO I've been staying awake pretty good (I've got a 12 yr old daughter at home, I had to come back to life somehow for her). As long as I'm on the comp. I do pretty good so I try to find different things to research to keep me busy enough I forget everything else. -As you and your sister are doing whatever...I'll search everything there is to search for the state of WA and try to find something that can be done! (ARE YOU SURE THE GIRL WASN'T A RELATIVE OR SOMETHING TO SOMEONE IN THE COURT SYSTEM, INC. COPS?)

Jus' Mom
09-10-2003, 05:42 AM
Deb P.:
re: above post
I meant if it is okay with you, your sister (whomever), I will search (not anything private, just laws, juvenile laws, court rules...that kind of stuff! But, it is totally up to you. -In the meantime I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to find the area of some really odd shapes so I can explain to my daughter in the morn. Bye for now

haswtch
09-10-2003, 07:45 AM
Jus' Mom- I meant to agree with you! sorry if I was unclear-
This stuf seems to be an epidemic, to the point that the criminal justice sytem itself is the real "violent offender!" Hope we can all join togeher somehow and help to fix it.
Best to you and your son-
Anne

Judge Not
09-10-2003, 08:04 AM
I did do allot of research on this, I thought my sister didn't realize or was confused about some of the details. There isn't too much out there about juvinile justice, and especially on the violent sex offenders, but from what I've been finding, it's all legal. Maybe you can find something that I couldn't... Sure would be nice...

The little girl's family tried to stop the proceeding. They were talking about good touch, bad touch, and someone heard her story about my nephew and called the police. It was blown into this big thing over night.

The sherrif even pulled my nephew out of school to interview him about the situation without my sister even knowing what was going on. (That's legal too). Like he really understood his miranda rights!!!

I live in a small community where the system continues to pad itself. The attorney reccommended that my sis take him to a counselor BEFORE court.. Thought this would help. It was just job security for the ONLY juvenile counselor in my county. (She found one in another county though and it gave her a some satisfaction to have a little control)

I'm glad you found PTO.. I tell ya, it's been a life saver to sooo many. So many good, caring, people...

Glad you were able to clear a little of the fog that settles over us when we're slapped with the harsh realities of the world..

:D

CET
09-18-2003, 11:32 AM
An extended family member of mine has a 6 yr sentence and for Predatory sexual assault. At 19 he had consensual sex with his 16 yr old gf. He was homeless and was sneaking in to sleep with her in her grandmothers home.

mamawen
09-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Jus'Mom,
I'm so sorry that your son got caught up in political mumbo jumbo. In our stupid politician's attempt at looking "tough on crime", they just don't care who gets caught up in it all. You have every right to be angry! I wish I could offer a solution, but until I'm a Congresswoman :), there's not much I can do, but make a scene, and trust me, I do do plenty of that. :)

Hang in there!
Wendy

Jus' Mom
09-18-2003, 06:42 PM
mamawen: Thank you for understanding and PS: I'LL VOTE FOR YOU!!!!!

mamawen
09-19-2003, 08:37 AM
JM,
Yes, I can see it now..."vote for that chick on prisontalk.com. I think her name is mamawen." LOL :)

My husband jokes now that marrying him has ruined my political career. Oh, well...some day...right?

BTW...I'll be sure to count on the PTO family to vote!
Wendy

Jus' Mom
09-20-2003, 07:02 PM
That's funny!

With all the turmoil in my life the last few years, it's nice to actually laugh. Thanks for making my day!

BryansGRRL
10-07-2003, 02:55 PM
That "label" means naught to me either! And Bryan is labeled as one.I LOVE him so what,what he did will never change that! oooh wait do you get a cookie if you love a violent offender?!LOL cause that'd be nice,I'm hungry!:D

Kebela1
10-28-2003, 05:18 AM
Debi,
My heart and prayers are with you. Speaking of him understanding his miranda rights, my son is 19, but has a Severe Traumatic Brain injury. He doesn't even understanding what is happening to him. They asked him if he understood his miranda rights and he said yes. Just like if you asked a two year old if they understood and they would say yes, not having a clue. Once they say yes it doesn't matter if they really do or not. Isn't that crazy?

mamawen
10-28-2003, 09:20 AM
Barbara,
Is your son in a "normal" prison? OR is he in a medical facility? Was his brain injury documented? This sounds just ridiculous on the system's end...but I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.
Wendy

kamaboko
11-04-2003, 01:08 PM
i think what you're experiencing is social intolerance. the crimes committed may seem minor, but to the offended and the machinery that has to deal with these crimes day in and day out, i think the tolerance threshold has been maxed. for instance, i've had my car broken into many many times. sure, it may just be a radio and cd's, but it goes beyond that. it's a complete lack of consideration for other people's property. i'll tell you, having gone through this more than 10 times! i could really care less if the person responsible did a couple of years in the pen.

i say this too having a brother that has done time for burglary (including my stuff).

Bevie54
01-28-2004, 09:09 PM
Can we spell witch hunt? Children never lie? They can't be coached or manipulated? Part of the reason my son is in prison is because his children were telling the authorities how their father plays with them. They got it wrong! Daddy threw me on the bed was a good thing. They thought it was a hoot when he did that. Sad huh?

serene
06-03-2004, 05:28 AM
I have just read your message about your son who was convicted of violent crimes, when as far as i can see there was no violence involved at all!!!I am from England, and here the law is very different, as here we allow people such as my attacker (ex partner) to be charged with attempted murder on me, attacking me with a knife and causing serious injuries......to be given 120 hours community service, and monthly visits to see a psychiatrist - within the community (of which he no longer attends!)

Not only that, he was allowed to take me to court for access to see his son!!

There is no justice at all in this country, even if you are sent to prison for murder the sentence is 15 years, and they are always let out after 8!!

So i really feel for you, and dont understand why they have used the word violent when it is people like me that have had the violent assaults!!

My experience with injustice is that it can nearly kill you with the stress, i know there is no answer - but we can do so little about things sometimes, i suppose we just have to try and get through it.

I wish you and your son well.:)

Bevie54
06-03-2004, 06:24 AM
I guess injustice comes in all flavors and all countries. We here in the US, namely Oklahoma have a "make my day" law to deal with stalkers. It sounds like your ex fits in that category. Protective orders do nothing to protect you. However, if you get one here in this great state and your ex continues to stalk, you can shoot his ass and kill him and you will not get jail time. It is not a Christian thing to do but then stalkers are not behaving in a Chrisitian manner either.

lilivoryangel
06-14-2004, 07:05 PM
My husband is also considered a "violent criminal" though he actually didn't do anything! But even if he had done what he was charged with he would have only thrown a bottle that did no damage.....so I don't see that is being very violent.