View Full Version : how does good behavior work?

xxlostxmyxlovex
12-26-2006, 09:27 PM
i was not to sure on how good behaivor works i have been told its 4 days a month but idk for sure if anyone could help it would be so helpful

thank you
god bless

mrsdragoness
12-27-2006, 05:17 AM
There is no good behavior time in Michigan anymore - in the prison system. If you are speaking of county jail time we will need to know which county.

mrtimmyslady
12-27-2006, 07:26 AM
My guy received a notice with his good time on it. Why would they still be tracking it if it doesn't do him any good? Yanking his chain?

Lions Heart
12-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Those that were sentenced and received good time prior to the law changing still have that time on the books. They don't accrue any more and those that were sentenced after the law don't get any. They are probably just letting him know that his time is still on the books.

mrtimmyslady
12-27-2006, 08:52 AM
When did the law change? This was a recent notification, a couple of months ago. Would it still be on the books from one bit to another?

mrsdragoness
12-27-2006, 09:13 AM
it depends on when he was convicted not when the law changed. If he was convicted prior to the law changing then he may get good time. You can find that information in our legislation forum.

mrtimmyslady
12-27-2006, 10:07 AM
But the good time is still "useless" right? This good time must've been on the books prior to the law changing because for this bit he was convicted in April. He was in jail from December to April in Presque Isle county. Could good time there followed him?

mrsdragoness
12-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Good time from jail does not follow to prison. If he was just convicted this year then he does not accrue good time.

LeaAnn
12-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Good time can be accrued if they are in a county jail, but once in prison they would be under TIS (truth in sentencing).

KylesGirlfriend
12-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Truth in Sentencing is so f***ing stupid. We need to abolish that crap and bring back Good Time. My man is not a bad guy, all he did was make a stupid mistake and ended up in prison. They say that if my man is "good," he can get out on September 2007 after boot camp. So I am confused, too, what exactly "BEING GOOD" means and how it can help a prisoner get released early from prison.

mrsdragoness
12-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Boot camp is a whole different story. If he goes thru boot camp he may not have to spend his whole sentence (or at least to his early release date) in prison.

KylesGirlfriend
12-27-2006, 02:22 PM
oh okay right. The judge at Kyle's sentencing said that although Kyle's sentencing is 4 years in prison, he might be let out of prison by 2008 and go through boot camp.

He is 21, with a clean record, a first time felon (yep, a good boy turned into a felon), a first time offender. A lot of people have told me that young prisoners tend to be let go after serving one year or less in state prisons. Is this true?

Kyle has warned me that he's likely to stay in prison for 4 years, but we are hoping they'll send him to boot camp and he'll be out by Sept 2007...

mrsdragoness
12-27-2006, 02:26 PM
A lot of people have told me that young prisoners tend to be let go after serving one year or less in state prisons. Is this true?

No its not true. He cannot get out of prison before his Early Release Date (ERD). Boot camp is an alternative however.. that is computed differently. If they send him to boot camp and he makes it thru, he probably would be released at that time.

KylesGirlfriend
12-27-2006, 03:17 PM
makes sense now.

so, WHO decides to send prisoners to boot camps? Prison wardens? and how do they determine WHEN to send a prisoner to boot camp?

mrsdragoness
12-27-2006, 04:27 PM
If you check the various SAI Boot Camp threads in that forum you'll find lots of information there.

xxlostxmyxlovex
12-28-2006, 05:53 PM
thank you all for the info i guess i am just late on the law change. See i really don't know what any of these things mean . see this is the 1st time i have ever had some one in jail/prsion before and i am just so confused. but thank you very much for the info.

mrsdragoness
12-28-2006, 05:56 PM
ASK away!! We'll try to help you learn all the things you need to know ;)

Lions Heart
12-29-2006, 10:28 AM
We were all new to this at one time or another. You will learn quickly and be here to help others who are just learning.

ILOVESHY
12-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Isnt Dr. Death Getting Out Early For Good Behavior?

dmpdbd
12-30-2006, 06:38 PM
No - Dr. Jack's parole date is set for June 1, 2007, which is his ERD. His parole has just been approved and they announced it now, but he still has to serve all his time.

mrtimmyslady
12-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Early announcement wouldn't you say? Approved parole over six months away? Because of his health maybe?

Melindaknapp
01-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Dr. Death was sentenced be for TIS and therefor has earned good time. Currently his attorneys are trying to commune his sentence do to health reasons. Doctors have told him he has less then one year to live. Here is a link to information on the doctor.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/story?id=2008364&page=1