View Full Version : Curious: What is a Federal Satellite Camp?

callaisababe
12-07-2006, 11:29 PM
I see this expression used a lot. I even know where some are located, but I have not been able to find a definition of what a "Federal Satellite Camp" is. Could anyone help me out?

SusanT
12-08-2006, 06:52 AM
It is a Federal Prison Camp that is next to an FCI or USP rather than a stand-alone camp.

JoyceRooni
12-09-2006, 12:36 PM
There might be 200-400 inmates at the camp, while there might be 1000-2500 at the FCI or USP that the camp is near. The people at the camp have (in most cases) some pretty intense maintenance jobs that involve keeping the camp, as well as the UPS or FCI, up and running. Everything from plumping and electrical, to roofing, landscaping, vehicle maintenance, etc.

And they get to do it all for a top wage of $1.15 per hour. That's slave labor, but the whole system couldn't get by without the handy men in the camps, that is for sure.

2nice
12-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Im curious to know why they call it a 'SATELLITE' camp and not just a 'camp'???? Do they have some kind of tracking device or something?

JoyceRooni
12-10-2006, 05:12 AM
There's at least one camp I know of that's not a "satellite" camp, in Duluth MN. (Someone's probably going to come along and correct me if I'm wrong, but the FPC -- Federal Prison Camp -- in Duluth is a "stand alone" I think.)

It's a "satellite" camp because it pretty much revolves around the FCI or USP. Kind of like a moon. A moon full of loons.

bzzz
12-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Loons? May give the question giver the wrong idea lol.

Minimum security institutions, also known as Federal Prison Camps (FPCs), have dormitory housing, a relatively low staff-to-inmate ratio, and limited or no perimeter fencing. These institutions are work- and program-oriented; and many are located adjacent to larger institutions or on military bases, where inmates help serve the labor needs of the larger institution or base.

Being a Satellite of one just tells you that they indeed do serve the labor needs.

JoyceRooni
12-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Work oriented, I would agree. Program oriented, I'd have to argue about
that.

There really aren't any "programs" at the camps.

The people in there are simply being warehoused, and poorly in most cases.

callaisababe
12-10-2006, 06:13 PM
There are infact programs at camps that most FCIs and UPSs dont provide. I would have to say they are the workforce for the prisons but are also full of more priviledges like more drug and more school programs

bzzz
12-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Yes there are many different programs, I am sure not all have them and some more than others. GED Classes, Computer skill classes, art clases are the ones I know about. I am sure a whole huge list could be made up.

SilenceSpeaks
12-11-2006, 01:54 PM
a federal prison camp is different from the big house its minimum security and is less confined its not a park though still prison still aroung the clock schedules but not as bad as the big house visitations are better and I think longer too

2nice
12-11-2006, 02:44 PM
It's a "satellite" camp because it pretty much revolves around the FCI or USP. Kind of like a moon. A moon full of loons.

Makes sense to me... Thank you! :thumbsup:

ezgoinnow
01-08-2007, 05:53 PM
my mom is at a fci satellite camp, and I wouldn't call it a program, but they had line dancing her first night in, and were going to have karioke the next.

tkeefover
01-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Line dancing and singing?? Geez, where do I sign up? JUST KIDDING!! Really, that sounds more like a camp for the people that need a getaway. The FCI's really aren't that bad either. At least the LOW"S. They also have the dormitory living arrangements and low staff to inmate ratio. The only difference is the work programs, FENCING(of course) and the visitors are able to visit outside with a playground for the kids.