View Full Version : Info - How Do Inmates Become Trustees?

peaceful
08-25-2003, 05:40 PM
how do an inmate get to be a trustee while they are in jail i was wondering about that can an inmate that is in the county become a trustee and how does it work for them and how do th visits work to....

Trulykath
08-25-2003, 07:37 PM
normally, there is some kind of diagnostics done, and if the inmate is determined NOT to be a threat to society, they can be made trustys. Skip was made trusty in Harris County, and he got to go outside the jail and work in the city welding shop every day.

I don't know how the visits work in Dallas county, but I'm sure you can call Lew Sterret and ask about times/days etc. They usually don't give you long visits at county (15 minutes).

kath

peaceful
08-25-2003, 08:45 PM
thanks kathy for thant info i know that he should be able to because he is no threat to the outside and i know that the county had been a little better with the visits down there we get 45 min so that is good because they say that it's suppose to be 15 but since they dont have that many people coming to that one then we get longer he is in susan kays jail so he is not at lew sterret which i am glad for because that one be so packed but thanks again for the info i will see him on sunday and will speak with him about that again.

Strasse
08-26-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by peaceful
how do an inmate get to be a trustee while they are in jail i was wondering about that can an inmate that is in the county become a trustee and how does it work for them and how do th visits work to....

Trustee, or trusty? A trustee manages a trust for one or more beneficiaries. A trusty is a convict in a position of greater trust and privilege...

JamieBC
04-19-2004, 12:08 AM
I am sure the person meant trusty!
LOL...

natasharenee
04-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Brad always spelled it "Trustee" and I didn't even know it was wrong... I guess you learn something new everyday!

Thanks for the tidbit

Jillian
04-19-2004, 12:36 AM
don't worry natasha i alwys thought it was spelled trustee .

natasharenee
04-19-2004, 12:49 AM
I don't think we are the only ones either lol. I searched texas and trustee and got a lot of search results that spelled it "Trustee" too.

Strasse
04-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Sorry - I'm paid to be pedantic. It's hard to unlearn it when it's not required.
:)

From Black's Law Dictionary, Second Pocket Edition:
Trustee - One who, having legal title to property, holds it in trust for the benefit of another and owes a fiduciary duty to that beneficiary. (p726)

Trusty - A convict or prisoner who is considered trustworthy by prison authorities and therefore given special privileges. (p727)

- Strasse, Pedant
=)

Jillian
04-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Well thanks for the clarification on that .

myaebonydiamond
04-19-2004, 09:20 PM
i don't know exactly how it works either but i can ask my baby. he was at hutchins jail and then he made trusty and was moved the ramsey unit in rosharon. or maybe he was transferred to the camp first and then made trusty, i don't know. i love that he made trusty because they don't have a a fence locked up around them. and his living quarters is like a army bunk camp. you get all contact visits everytime and you choose to be indoors or outdoors at a picnic table. we get to visit for 2 hrs. and he says he can come outside like at 2 am if he wanted to. i think he got a good deal and he loves it.