View Full Version : Reception @ RJ Donovan State Prison

ecm
12-04-2006, 12:42 PM
My close friend is going to be going to Donovan in about a month or so. He's a non-violent offender. How long can I expect him to be in reception? What will it be like for him there? Will he be able to recieve letters? I'm new to all this.

theycallmecc
12-04-2006, 02:23 PM
We've been in reception 5 months...and counting.

Jay1
12-04-2006, 02:31 PM
My man was in reception at Donovan for about 8 months. All I know is that they lag it in Donovan well at all prisons for that matter. Good luck!

mytoyheart
12-05-2006, 08:48 PM
They are in reception forever, and the building in the 4 yard was on lock down the WHOLE time, he never got to go out of his cell, only for appointments, (dr., counselor, etc.) and only got showers like 2 or 3 times a week, it pretty much really sucks. Store once a month, they do get mail and visits (usually, but getting approved for a visit can take forever too.) but they are very strict on the mail, no books, no pens, a lot of no's. If he only had a short time to do, he may get out of reception earlier than others, and be sent to a CCF or a camp, which are wayyyyyyy better (as far as places to serve time) than Donovan.

cadustin
12-05-2006, 11:31 PM
My husband was only in reception for about a month. I got approved to visit, he told me on a Monday (had someone call me), I was going to see him the following weekend and he was moved on Wednesday. This was over a year ago now, and I know they have had some major issues there since then.

LongHaul
12-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Yeah - my guy did about 6 weeks in reception nearly 3 years ago. I am hearing NIGHTMARES about how long it is taking now. Reception is worse then county jail. It was bearable when it was 2 months on the outside, but now I hear it going for longer then 6 months in some cases.

Good luck.

Cops wife
12-06-2006, 10:29 PM
My son has been there since 10/3/2006 and I still have not heard from him. I called to verify his actual location and found out he was transferred within the Donovan system to another building and bed, but that was it.

I am getting worried now. My mind just runs rampant on what could be going on. I am usually much stronger than this. Any information would help at this point.

LongHaul
12-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Cops - he hasn't written? Have you been writing him?

cadustin
12-06-2006, 10:35 PM
I am not sure how the counselors are there, but I would call the counselor and ask to see if he is ok. Especially if he has moved to mainline. He should have called or written.

My son has been there since 10/3/2006 and I still have not heard from him. I called to verify his actual location and found out he was transferred within the Donovan system to another building and bed, but that was it.

I am getting worried now. My mind just runs rampant on what could be going on. I am usually much stronger than this. Any information would help at this point.

Cops wife
12-06-2006, 10:58 PM
I worry because he was diagnosed severely depressed and bi polar just prior to being taken in. In fact he was in a rehab and they made me take him in from there to the parole office. I actually got a letter. some time ago, stating he had been in the hole, had 1 shower in about 3 weeks and was wearing the same clothes the gave him when they took him in. Since the riot, nothing. I write a couple of times a week as well as forward his girlfriends letters to him.

theycallmecc
12-07-2006, 08:01 PM
I .... I actually got a letter. ..... Since the riot, nothing. I write a couple of times a week as well as forward his girlfriends letters to him.

Hi - Just wanted to reply to the mail situation, I was able to visit my son last weekend, he says the mail is backed-up something awful. I know the letters we've sent him he receives 10 days later, and the mail we get from him is about 4 days later, normally it comes in 2 days.

eros
12-08-2006, 12:20 PM
reception at donovan ... outgoing mail is usually quick. i get his in two days. but lately, sloooooooow! just be patient. a few weeks ago, mail was on hold for 4 days. besides, it's the holiday season! i'm sure the prison mail rooms are being bombarded everywhere. ;)

Cops wife
12-08-2006, 04:07 PM
I called Donovan today and found out my son has been transferred for the third time since 10/2006. He is still in reception but at a new building and bed number. This is the 3rd time!

Anyone know what an address of 420 for the building number means? I know the last three numbers and letter are his bunk number and location, U for upper L for lower, but the previous addresses I had were f-4-17 ......
This 420 is new to me. Could he be back in the hole????

eros
12-08-2006, 06:26 PM
cops wife ... they move frequently in reception ... you won't know unless you receive mail from your son or call the prison. it definitely is a headache. and with the prisons being so overcrowded, many are in reception for months ... and months before they even see their counselor. it's been almost a year and mine is still in reception.

facility-building-bunk-U (upper) or L (lower) ... never heard of 420, but if the operator gave you that number, i'm sure it's valid. weird if you ask me. :eek:

cadustin
12-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Yard 4 bldg 20. There are 5 bldgs per yard. Yard 4 is reception. Do you know if he has seen his counselor and what level he is?

I called Donovan today and found out my son has been transferred for the third time since 10/2006. He is still in reception but at a new building and bed number. This is the 3rd time!

Anyone know what an address of 420 for the building number means? I know the last three numbers and letter are his bunk number and location, U for upper L for lower, but the previous addresses I had were f-4-17 ......
This 420 is new to me. Could he be back in the hole????