View Full Version : NEW DWI class in TDCJ

Trulykath
08-25-2003, 09:56 AM
In March of this year, TDCJ began a new DWI program. The program is ONLY offered at Mineral Wells Pre-Release Parole Facility, and it's 90 days long.

I would encourage ANYONE with DWI offenders in TDCJ...have them i60 a request to get into this program. The program is ONLY offered at Mineral Wells, but I think it would be helpful to anyone hoping to get out early on a DWI charge.

Mineral Wells is actually a private facility operated by Corrections Corporation of America. The offenders are still locked up (~2000 inmates at this unit), but they have a lot of freedoms. They get to wear street clothes (you can have them sent in), they do their own laundry, and they can make all the phone calls you are willing to accept charges on.

The program is good, and it's a new opportunity, versus sitting in a unit elsewhere and not getting ANY treatment classes!

kath

arlyn
08-27-2003, 02:26 PM
Kath - is there a formal name for this treatment program? I am going to write my friend about it and give him the information you've given here - but wondered if he would need a title for it on the i60 request. Could you let me know?

Thanks,
arlyn

Trulykath
08-27-2003, 02:51 PM
I don't have a specific name for the course....Skip keeps referring to this as the DWI 5 class....not sure of the exact title. Skip is in the program now, but will not complete, due to his parole approval (it wraps up in Oct, Skip comes home in Sept).

It's 90 days long, and they will be moving people to this facility to take the class, and also will start a waiting list for the class. He keeps telling me it deals a lot with behavior modification. It's a new program, and I honestly think it's long overdue. (you should see more internal efforts on behalf of TDCJ toward DWI offenders over the next 12 months).

Because of the nature of the facility, there are specific eligibility requirements to be met. CCA-Mineral Wells is a Pre-Release Parole Facility, and most of the people sent there are within a year of their projected/max out dates. The parole division is heavily involved at this point, but approved the programs & services division handling this starting Sept 1.

I called Programs & Services, and I was told to have anyone interested to put in a i60 and just request the new DWI class at Mineral Wells. It's the only one of it's kind and ONLY offered at Mineral Wells, so they will know what is being asked. They will either put them on the list, or respond with the needed eligibility requirements to get into the course!

am in confusing eveyrone enough??? :)

kath

arlyn
08-27-2003, 03:49 PM
Kath,

Thanks so much for the information - I'm going to send out a letter to him tomorrow and tell him about it. His projected release is 6/24/04, max date is in 2006. He's eligible for his first parole right now, but hasn't met with anyone on it as far as I know. I know it's slim chances that he'll get this one, but a little part of me is crossing my fingers.

I've been impressed with what he's done so far since he's been in. He's attended AA every week, gone to church/bible study every week, and is doing courses by correspondence. He has also helped someone he's friends with work on his parole (he's been down for 13 years) and has written letters with him to places trying to find somewhere to parole out to since he has no family. The guy's got a heart of gold...and I hope and pray that someone will see this, along with the fact that he's truly committed to his sobriety. Of course, the real test of that is when he gets out...but I'd like to see him have that chance.

You are always a valuable source of info, and I appreciate you!

Arlyn

eyez697
08-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Kathleen, I just wanted to thank you for your help. I didn't know how to e-mail on here... I'm new at this. Thank you so much.... no one has been able to help me.

Thanks so much ..........

Amy :)

eyez697
08-28-2003, 07:06 PM
Kathleen, I gave them a call and they told me he was denied parole in march 2003 and I think he didn't want any of us to worrie so he didn't tell us. I had no idea he wasn't getting out. But I haven't gotten a letter in about a week and that's not like him at all. I called his sister and the same for her too. I think they may have moved him. I know there is a 1800 # to call and see where they are. Do you happen to know what that is?

Thank you,
Amy:confused:

Trulykath
08-28-2003, 10:15 PM
I never could get thru on the 800#....try 512-406-5200.

If he was denied in March, they should be pulling his file for next review in the nex 60-90 days (by Christmas). Stay on them, and make sure they are in line with the timing.

Do a search for Texas Parole...or any of my archives....if you can't find the phone #'s you need...PM me....I'll help all I can!

kath