View Full Version : New Phone system ??? Colorado

Tammy Nelson
11-24-2006, 10:15 PM
Anyone have the details on this ???
Supposed to go into service 1st of Dec.....

Thanks

Her_Man
11-27-2006, 12:21 AM
Value Added Communications will be the provider for all state-run facilities (and some privates) officially on Dec 1. Rates are fairly similar to what MCI had.

If your home phone provider is Qwest, VAC has a contract with them and you will NOT need to set up an advance payment account. They do not have a contract with Comcast.

You can get rate info from your loved one's facility to your home # at www.vaci.com or by calling 800-913-6097.

As always, prisoners can purchase phone time via the canteen. These prepaid calls are considerably less expensive than collect calls. For example, a 20 minute prepaid call from Cañon City to Denver is approximately $5 versus the collect rate of $7.80.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask. Also, you may want to attend Tuesday's (11/28) CURE/DOC meeting at DWCF (Smith and Havana) from 1:00 to 3:30. The new phone system is on the agenda.

zingophoto
01-13-2007, 01:06 PM
At almost eight dollars for a twenty minute collect call, and five for a prepaid call, for whom is the value added? I just love it when companies like this call themselves something they're not. Should be called "Arm & A Leg Communications" or A&L Communications for short, since that's what they're charging for a phone call.

seansbabyluv
01-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Just another one of the terrific amenities offered at Hotels of Hell. DOC actually gets a commission from the phone company. Most of us regular folks refer to it as a kickback. But I've seen worse in other states so I just pay and shut up. Not much else you can do.

galgrif
01-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I wonder what is going on with this as our calls still say MCI when the kiddo calls.

seansbabyluv
01-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Got me...mine always says 1719-XXX-XXXX...that is til I saved the # under Sean's name on my cell and now it says SEAN...lol...now how do I download that Jailhouse Rock ringtone? LOL

galgrif
01-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Well, yeah, it says the number, but the recording says "you have a pre-paid call from an inmate, blah, blah, blah, and them something about MCI. I guess I need to pay more attention. I am usually trying to get somewhere quiet....away from the TV and surround!

scaredinlove
01-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Cindy as soon as your figure out how to download jailhouse rock on your cell please let me know, my cell phone comes up husband, when he calls. Wink.

mom2twinboys
01-14-2007, 09:27 AM
I used to have the number saved on my phone, with a special ringtone for him. But now it just comes up unavailable.

galgrif
01-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Tonight I paid attention, and it definetely says "you have a pre-paid call from MCI from an inmate at..."

24jf
01-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Same here.. My calls are pre-paid from Sterling and they definitely still say MCI

seansbabyluv
01-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Well my caller ID says the phone # which I now have saved as Sean, but I still get the MCI recording too. I just got used to it and ignored it all the time...:D The woman is just so RUDE! :eek:

Cindy as soon as your figure out how to download jailhouse rock on your cell please let me know, my cell phone comes up husband, when he calls. Wink.

Rebecca...there's certain cell phones out there that let you assign MP3's and pictures to certain numbers...I don't have one cause I'm waiting for the hubby to come home and go shopping for new phones. You can research them on the web though...then you can download a song and have it play when people call.

scaredinlove
01-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Thank you I will see what I can find out. Right now he just has a special ring and I know its him calling, I just thought it was funny Jailhouse Rock.

24jf
01-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Has anyone had problems with the new phone system and collect calls? My man's mom says there is some kind of block on her phone but what's strange to me is... My man who is at Sterling can call her collect and get through, her friend who is at AVCF is the one who always experiences the problems with getting through unless he does pre-paid to the cell phone (which is more expensive). She called VAC last week, left a message and has yet to receive a return call. Just thought I would ask and see if anyone else was experiencing issues or had a tip on how to get someone to talk to at VAC.

Thank you

seansbabyluv
01-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Well we all thought that DOC was switching over to VAC...but all of our calls are still coming through MCI. My hubby's at AVCF and it says MCI when he calls. Have his mom call MCI's High Toll Department and see if they can tell her why she can get collect calls from Sterling but not AVCF. Her friend should be able to call whether it's collect or prepaid. My guess is that her friend only has approval to call her cell phone, not her home phone. Have him re-submit her home phone. Cell phones can't get collect calls, but she can forward her home phone to her cell phone and still do it collect.

24jf
01-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks Cindy.. I'll forward this info to her

irshnrse
01-27-2007, 10:37 PM
I have a phone question...My husband just arrived at DRDC from Oklahoma. My home phone company does not have any blocks on my phone. Do I have to do something so Colorado DOC collect calls come thru? We will do pre-pay as soon as he is able to get commissary, but until then I want for him to call! Thank you very much!

Also, does anyone remember how long it took for their number to be approved on their loved one's phone list? Thanks.

galgrif
01-27-2007, 10:41 PM
You shouldnt have to do anything...has he tried to call and been unable to get through?

irshnrse
01-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks. No, I don't think so. He just arrived 3 days ago (per his letter) and submitted our home number for his list. He said he was waiting for it to be approved.

galgrif
01-27-2007, 10:52 PM
It can take a bit to get it approved. Tell him that even if they dont tell him that it is, to keep trying the number because they dont always get in a hurry to notify the inmate of the approval.

irshnrse
01-27-2007, 10:58 PM
LOL! I bet! I will be sure to tell him that in my letter. Thank you.