View Full Version : Halfway Houses in Central PA

11-22-2006, 02:52 PM
My honey is hoping for a one-year pre-release to a halfway house in Central PA. How can I find out about private/religious ones, in addition to the CCC the state runs? Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. We are from the Harrisburg area.

11-24-2006, 07:21 PM
To get a list of PA DOC CCC facilities and contract programs, click here (|) and then click on "Central PA Centers" [located on the left-sided column next to the map]. You will find a list of programs. Generally the DOC does not contract with faith-based programs to maintain a clear division between "church and state." Although other states have contracted with such programs, a recent federal ruling should stop much government funding of these types of programs, at least in the criminal justice funding streams.

You can also find some other useful information by clicking on some of the other titles located in the same left handed column!!!

Hope this helps!!!

11-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Hi egs,
Thanks so much for the information. I had actually found that site but am also interested in learning about religious and private halfway houses. Any thoughts on how I can obtain this information? I am also a member of my faith's prison ministry committee and we are trying to pull information together, both private and state, to make a list of halfway houses in Central PA. Any assistance you can give me will be much appreciated.

11-27-2006, 06:50 PM
I assume you are looking for halfway houses for those incarcerated or are otherwise, involved in the criminal justice system [i.e., parole/probation]. In that case the list found on the DOC website are those who have contracts with the Commonwealth and house those incarcerated and/or those on parole. Some county justice systems have their own contracts with halfway houses as well. You will need to contact the court/ parole/probation offices of each county [i.e. Lancaster, Lehigh] in the central PA district.

You may get some help by contacting the SCA [Single County Authority] that oversees and provides substance abuse services on a county level--they may have contracts w/area halfway houses as well. You can locate the SCA by going to the Bureau of Drug and Alcohol Programs [BDAP] website found in the PA Dept. of Health website.

11-27-2006, 08:46 PM

I know I once heard of a faith-based center in York. I can't remember the name, and I can't swear they handled DOC referrals, but hit the phone directory for York and see if you find it.


11-28-2006, 04:29 AM
Glory House Ministries in York is an excellent private halfway house, if you're heavy duty into religion. My son spent 6 months (required) there, the first time he was on parole. My only problem with them was that they charged $75 a week rent, whether you had a job or not, plus a required 10% of your income "donation" to their own church, plus buying your own food. It didn't leave much money for buying "cosmetics" or doing laundry. Contact Tom Frederick at 3256 Catholic Valley Rd., Glen Rock, PA 17327. 717-235-6403

Crispus Attucks, 200 East Cottage Place, York, PA 17403, 717-843-9909 is also excellent, even though it is under contract to the DOC. I had a tour of the place, and several conversations with the director, because my son was requesting to go there on parole this time. You have a choice of a single room, double room, or efficiency apt. All food & laundry facilities are provided. I believe it's a 90 day stay, and they sometimes have a hard time getting guys to leave. They like it there! (Unfortunately, the PABPP, in their infinite wisdom, decided to send my son to "the halfway house from Hell" in his old criminal neighborhood in North Philly. Talk about encouraging job security for the DOC!)