View Full Version : New to the forum - looking for info on sentence for trafficking meth

captainhog
11-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi all

Not a good day in our household - brother-in-law was just arrested for trafficking meth and the lawyer told us he could be looking at 10 years.

We always knew drugs were part of his life (tried to do an intervention a few years ago), but never imagined it was this bad.

Can anyone point me to sentecing guidelines (not sure if the lawyer is using this as a scare tactic to up his fee - I know, a weak accusation, but the family is grasping at straws) or any other type of info to help the family and him prepare for what is about to happen?

All of this is taking place in Oklahoma City (not sure if the sentecing changes state to state - I'm new to all this - even had to google how many grams were in an once to try and figure out how much drugs he had!)

Thanks in advance

-Sean

DLM
11-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Hi and Welcome to PTO!
I moved your post to the Oklahoma Forum as members there might be able to help with information. PTO also has a Drug Forum which you might want to check too.

Missouri Mom
11-17-2006, 06:21 PM
I don't have any answers for you, but welcome to PTO. Someone should be able to offer help when they check in.
MO Mom

JCbeast
11-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi all

Not a good day in our household - brother-in-law was just arrested for trafficking meth and the lawyer told us he could be looking at 10 years.

We always knew drugs were part of his life (tried to do an intervention a few years ago), but never imagined it was this bad.

Can anyone point me to sentecing guidelines (not sure if the lawyer is using this as a scare tactic to up his fee - I know, a weak accusation, but the family is grasping at straws) or any other type of info to help the family and him prepare for what is about to happen?

All of this is taking place in Oklahoma City (not sure if the sentecing changes state to state - I'm new to all this - even had to google how many grams were in an once to try and figure out how much drugs he had!)

Thanks in advance

-Sean

Here is the guidlines, If he is convicted of Trafficking CDS (methamphetamine) he will not be eligble for any earned credits. He could potentially do every day of ten years.

If he is sentenced for simple possesion of CDS or Possesion of CDS with intent he will be eligible for good time and likely wont do all of ten years.

There is no drug crime that is 85%. The only drug crime that doesnt get any good time awarded is trafficking.
CDS is a acroynom for Controlled Dangerous Substance (drugs)

lis
11-17-2006, 06:56 PM
ok...a stupid question...what's the difference between trafficking and manufacturing/possession with intent to sell meth?

lis

misscrys
11-17-2006, 11:36 PM
hi my husband was convicted of trafficking marijuana and meth his 1st offense had a high dollar lawyer he got 12 years and jcs right NO GOOD TIME but he does go up for parole in 4 years so its something to look forward too

dragonflydmp
11-18-2006, 09:35 AM
My husband's friend is in for trafficking right now. He also had a possession charge and some other charges in a different county (another 10 year sentence and a 5 year sentence). By earning good time, all of his other sentences have been completed for over a year now (he's been in about 6 years). The only time that has been taken off his trafficking sentence is a small amount of time for program completions. He's been denied parole several times. Basically, if he doesn't make parole on the trafficking charge, he will have done about 9 1/2 years on a 10 year sentence. If the one charge had not been "trafficking", he would have been out over a year ago, time served.
It's possible he can get the trafficking charge down to a possession charge in a plea agreement. Trafficking is possessing more than a certain amount of a drug. It carries an automatic 10 year sentence, no good time. Possession ranges from 2-10 years, and manufacturing ranges from 10-20 years with the option of split sentences (5 years incarceration/5 years probation as an example) and the chance to earn good time. This link might help you in explaining what constitutes trafficking in Oklahoma:

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=440603

lis
11-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks Dragonfly...must have been a plea for my cousin. He was manufacturing meth, and I've wondered a lot about how he could NOT have gotten charged with 'trafficking'!

lis