View Full Version : Hendry Correction Institution Q&A

Herbawitz
11-15-2006, 08:31 PM
My son was just transferred to Hendry CI. Does anyone know anything about it?

FrankiezGirl
08-22-2007, 05:59 PM
I would suggest that once his year for being there comes up that he request a transfer. That camp is DIRTY. Trust me, I know!

tampagirl23
08-26-2007, 07:30 PM
The work camp of Hendry CI is OK. I can't say much about the main unit (Hendry CI) all I know the confinement area is awful and probably violates every OSHA rule there is. I don't know about the rest of the dorms at the main unit. I've heard the visitation part of Hendry CI is ok as well.

FrankiezGirl
08-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Oh I wasn't referring to it literally being dirty, I was referring to the staff. In the time I was there, there were more than at least 20 people fired for doing some horrible things (My sources tell me that they are still firing people!)
For example: (This happened while I was there.)

Eight Former Corrections Officers Charged
23 Counts Range from Battery and Grand Theft to Failure to Report Abuse

Eight former Florida Department of Corrections employees have been charged with 23 counts stemming from alleged inmate abuse at Hendry Correctional Institution. Charges range from battery and grand theft, to failure to report inmate abuse.
“These former employees were involved in a series of dehumanizing and degrading behaviors,” said Secretary James McDonough. “It appears this criminal behavior was part of a planned conspiracy to violate civil rights and we have informed the FBI and the US Attorney.”
Investigation into the alleged abuse of inmate Charles Gundlah revealed patterns of misconduct among a distinct group of corrections officers. Aggressive pursuit of those indicators by the Department resulted in the uncovering of additional unsavory incidents.
The Florida Department of Corrections would like to thank State Attorney Steve Russell and Assistant State Attorney Dan Cavanaugh for pursuing these charges. The Department is cooperating fully.
“These arrests, coupled with recent prison sentences handed down to former Secretary Crosby and former Regional Director Clark, send a clear message to our employees,” said Secretary McDonough. “It does not matter how high up you are in the Department, how remote you are or how many of you there are, you have to abide by the rule of law.”
Former employees charged today and their related charges are:

Phillip Barger – 2 counts battery, 2 counts failure to report
James Brown – 1 count grand theft
Gabriel Cotilla – 1 count battery, 1 count failure to report
Kevin Filipowicz – 1 count battery, 1 count failure to report
Randy Hazen – 2 counts battery, 2 counts failure to report
Ruben Ibarra – 1 count battery, 1 count failure to report
William Thiessen – 3 counts battery, 3 counts failure to report
Stephen Whitney – 1 count battery, 1 count failure to report

There are many more press clips about this. They went as far as making the inmates clean the toilet's with their tongues, made them eat their food off the floor. It was just wrong. I was embarrassed to say I worked there. Search the internet, this all happened around March...

mommat
08-31-2007, 02:01 PM
They are clearing out all the rif-raf since all that happened. They are really under the gun around there and watching the officers close. My husband is at Ft. Myers which is run by Hendry. He was at Hendry about 2 years ago. My sister in law goes to Henry WC to visit her man. My husband is like CNN- loves to hear the gossip. As far I know the man (tallahassee) has fired all of the officers who were involved in that abuse-and some that just associated with the abusers. The new warden is fair. I've talked to her on the phone and found her to be helpful. Much better than the guy before her-she usto be an Asst. Warden-that's when I had my dealings with her. As far as the officers go-they have a hard time with staffing. Alot of the officers are young and drive from Miami area because it's closer. They had 2 recently caught bringing in drugs. My husband is older and I have found that no matter where he goes he gets along fine. It's always hard at first-untill the officers see that he's not into drugs and stuff like that. But once they see he's not a trouble maker he's OK. The problem at Hendry is the officers are new and just out of school. They teach them at school to be real hard on everyone. So that's kinda hard, because the ones who have worked there for years know how to judge the inmates better and instead of grouping everyone as the same (dangerous) they judge each situation not just grouping everything. Meaning the officers who have worked in DOC longer may not push the small stuff as much. The new ones are hard on every stupid little rule. Like at visitation my let an extra hug go, or sitting closer that your supposed to. The new ones don't let anything slide. But wherever they are as long as they aren't trying to buck the system, they can get by OK.

FrankiezGirl
09-04-2007, 09:41 PM
They are clearing out all the rif-raf since all that happened. They are really under the gun around there and watching the officers close. My husband is at Ft. Myers which is run by Hendry. He was at Hendry about 2 years ago. My sister in law goes to Henry WC to visit her man. My husband is like CNN- loves to hear the gossip. As far I know the man (tallahassee) has fired all of the officers who were involved in that abuse-and some that just associated with the abusers. The new warden is fair. I've talked to her on the phone and found her to be helpful. Much better than the guy before her-she usto be an Asst. Warden-that's when I had my dealings with her. As far as the officers go-they have a hard time with staffing. Alot of the officers are young and drive from Miami area because it's closer. They had 2 recently caught bringing in drugs. My husband is older and I have found that no matter where he goes he gets along fine. It's always hard at first-untill the officers see that he's not into drugs and stuff like that. But once they see he's not a trouble maker he's OK. The problem at Hendry is the officers are new and just out of school. They teach them at school to be real hard on everyone. So that's kinda hard, because the ones who have worked there for years know how to judge the inmates better and instead of grouping everyone as the same (dangerous) they judge each situation not just grouping everything. Meaning the officers who have worked in DOC longer may not push the small stuff as much. The new ones are hard on every stupid little rule. Like at visitation my let an extra hug go, or sitting closer that your supposed to. The new ones don't let anything slide. But wherever they are as long as they aren't trying to buck the system, they can get by OK.

Who is your man? And who is the guy that is at the Work Camp? My entire family has worked there for a span of over 25 years. We know that place well. Yes, Mrs. Langford is nice, but I personally don't trust any of the administration around there. Everyone has their own opinion. If you don't want to post the names in a post. Feel free to PM me. I know many of the guys around there.

kcfonelove
02-27-2008, 01:23 PM
My fiancee was transfered to Hendry C.I. and I need any information on that place. Also I live in Miami and want to know if there is any carpooling for that location.

Please someone please respond, I would greatly appriciate it. God bless you

Thank you in advance.

KCF

Herbawitz
03-01-2008, 11:11 AM
My son was there when he frst went in and stayed there for about 6 weeks then he got transferred over to the owrk camp. He has been written up twice now and he goes back to the main unit to "serve" his time in the hole. How long has he been there? He should be able to call you soon and letters can go out too. As far as the guards go, there are some ok ones and some that are a#@holes. Like everyone says, he should just keep his head down and do his time. You can send me a private message any time....Sorry that I dont have much to tell you....what do you want to know?

kcfonelove
03-06-2008, 11:55 AM
I was just a proved for visitation and yesterday and I send in my application last week. If anyone has any question regarding Hendry please don't hesitate to ask.

Capricornbaby
03-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Wow, that is surprising that they did it so fast. I used to work in classification over there and they would usually take their sweet @$$ time. Is your man at the main unit or the work camp? I might know who he is... after all my entire family has worked there! lol. Enjoy your visit.

Capricornbaby
03-10-2008, 04:03 PM
That place is a joke. The officers, office staff & administrators are DIRTY!!! I'm glad I left that place when I did. I keep in contact with a few of the guys that I met in there and they have recently been transferred, but they have told me that after I left, that place got worse. The best advice I can give on that place is keep your mouth shut, don't trust ANYONE!!! Those people will stab you in the back really fast. Some of the staff is ok... but don't trust them. When I was there, I trusted the inmates more than I trusted my co-workers.

TOROSE
03-19-2008, 08:46 PM
My fiancee was transfered to Hendry C.I. and I need any information on that place. Also I live in Miami and want to know if there is any carpooling for that location.

Thank you in advance.

KCF...Depending on how long of a sentence he got, he most likely will be transferred to a work camp, if all possible try going to fort myers work camp,as is better than hendry work camp, you will always find an officer abusing their authority where ever they go, he just needs to not trust ANYBODY, but GOD, do alot of reading, exercise, stay away from the trouble makers. loud mouths, and inmates that like to make a seen. If he hasn't talked to God for awhile, now is a good time, cause he will be the only one who will get him through this, and not let him down.:)

DollarBillsWife
05-28-2008, 01:55 PM
hey! my man is at hendry work camp (the facility that is right next to the main unit). Both are located on the same street. I drive there like every weekend. I live in Pembroke pines (broward county) that is on ur way to hendry (immokalee) soo if u wanna take turns or set up something u can send me a mssg so we can arrange it. i hate these crazy gas prices so anything to save is good for me...
xoxo
:D

Thank you in advance.

KCF

DollarBillsWife
05-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Wow, that is surprising that they did it so fast. I used to work in classification over there and they would usually take their sweet @$$ time. Is your man at the main unit or the work camp? I might know who he is... after all my entire family has worked there! lol. Enjoy your visit.

I just have to say this... hendry work camp doesnt even look like a prison it looks more like kindergarten skul even tho i know its not in the inside.. but i went there for visitation and damn its pretty nice... lots of green and it looks like a little friendly/warm farm...
xoxo

TOROSE
05-31-2008, 08:43 PM
I just have to say this... hendry work camp doesnt even look like a prison it looks more like kindergarten skul even tho i know its not in the inside.. but i went there for visitation and damn its pretty nice... lots of green and it looks like a little friendly/warm farm...
xoxo
It's only looks, the officers are horrible, the jobs they are given are exauting beyond anything you can imagine, in the summer you will see the infestation of flies, like never before, they are made to work in the scorching sun, and if they screw up, they get arrested and sent to the hole. so it...it's not all what it seems......Fort Myers work camp which is
runned by hendry is much beyond better, they have to qualify to be able to go there. my son lost alot of weight, whe he was there, be he said they would go through the chow line, and there would flies all over the food, the dorms do not have A.C., so you can only imagine what is like. :(

DollarBillsWife
06-01-2008, 03:39 PM
It's only looks, the officers are horrible, the jobs they are given are exauting beyond anything you can imagine, in the summer you will see the infestation of flies, like never before, they are made to work in the scorching sun, and if they screw up, they get arrested and sent to the hole. so it...it's not all what it seems......Fort Myers work camp which is
runned by hendry is much beyond better, they have to qualify to be able to go there. my son lost alot of weight, whe he was there, be he said they would go through the chow line, and there would flies all over the food, the dorms do not have A.C., so you can only imagine what is like. :(

Torose, i agree my man says its HARD work but thankfully he's gettinig transferred to a drug program in pompano in july... umm but yea i mean its hard most officers are mean but hey.. it could be worse...
xoxo

Herbawitz
06-06-2008, 05:03 PM
ToRose...I agree....that has been my experience too! The guards seem nice when you go for a visit and then bamm another DR for my son. One time he had the warden come to the camp tell the inmates not to do something and then after she left the guards had them do it anyway....my son got a DR for that too! And of course they cant request a transfer until they are DR free for 1 year....and where does one go thats better? and who knows where they will send you if you do get the transfer....

TOROSE
06-06-2008, 08:57 PM
ToRose...I agree....that has been my experience too! The guards seem nice when you go for a visit and then bamm another DR for my son. One time he had the warden come to the camp tell the inmates not to do something and then after she left the guards had them do it anyway....my son got a DR for that too! And of course they cant request a transfer until they are DR free for 1 year....and where does one go thats better? and who knows where they will send you if you do get the transfer....
Herbawitz, no where will be easy, it's what they make of it, they have to play the rules, stay to themselves, turn to God most of all. I still know that fort myers work camp tops Hendry CI, or Hendry Work Camp. ;)

Herbawitz
07-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Yeah thats what my son has told me....Fort Myers Work Camp is better

TOROSE
07-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah thats what my son has told me....Fort Myers Work Camp is better

it is better, but like every where, it has it's good and bad, the work they have them do is very harsh as you know, specially in the summer, rainy days, they still have to go out there and work in the ditches, and they cannot stop working until they tell them to stop, the visitation area is pretty nice, atleast better them HWC, which is infested by flies at this time of the year, hope your son is doing well.:) oh by the way, there are seperate room, with 3 guys per room, they share 1 bathroom with another room, and its air conditioned, the officers are nice, atleast the ones that work on the week-ends, but they are pretty strict on who they allow to go there.

tcheatham
04-02-2009, 05:23 PM
If anyone can give me information regarding Hendry that would be appreciated. Visits, facilities, anything. My honey is going there. Thanks in advance.

TOROSE
04-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Most likely your husband will be transferred to the work camp, this faility has absolutely nothing to offer the inmates..my son was not in the main unit except when he first went in/ when he was in confinement or when he went in for medical reasons, it's a tough enviroment, and like all others he will have to use his better judgement in who to hang around with, trust no-one..and just do what he has to do so he doesn't get into any trouble...if he goes to the WC, I would reccomend he transfer to their other WC, which is Ft. Meyer, it is better, cleaner, they also have AC, and 3 guys to a room, again these places do not offer anything for them, Hendry WC, is open dorm, no ac, and can be pretty miserable in the summer time, and winters as well..hope this gave you som in-sight, keep us posted. I am sure someone will be able to give you more details on the main unit..God Bless..

Deusmortis
04-10-2009, 04:12 AM
I did two years in Hendry before it shut down in 2001... or was it 2002? Not sure what they did with the place while it was shut down, so my perspective may be a bit off. I was in the main facility, not the WC. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, and I'll answer as best as I can.

Some general info:

As I recall, Hendry has 7 dorms. A, C, E and G are open bays, while B, D and F each have two floors, three wings, with 18-20 two man cells per wing. The rec yard is big, with two basketball courts, a baseball field, an iron pile, and 4 handball courts. There are two canteen buildings, with two stalls each. When I was there, they had two computer labs, one for GED programs and one for a PC support class. They also have a woodshop and brickyard used for carpentry and masonry classes. They have a fairly large education building that was used for pre-GED level education classes. The computer labs and the education building were air conditioned.

None of the dorms have AC, and they're unbearably hot in the summer. The ventilation system was horrible, and only a few rooms in the whole place have decent airflow. They have bugs there that some people call mosquitos. They are not, however, mosquitos. They are baby pterodactyls. They can bite you through a jacket, uniform shirt, undershirt, and bulletproof vest. Flies were horrible in the summer. When you ate, you kept your sandwich in motion with one hand, and waved your other hand over your tray, so that no flies could land on your food.

When I started out there, the food was pretty good. That was when the state ran the kitchen. Unfortunately, the kitchen went private, and Aramark took an elephant sized shit all over our dining program. The Aramark food at Hendry was the most vile, wretched slop that I've ever had the misfortune of ingesting. The water, on the other hand, was good. I believe that there's a water treatment plant just outside of the camp, and Hendry had the best tasting tap water I had in prison.

I could ramble on like this for some time, so I'll end by saying that if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Mia12485
12-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey guys, I've posted a thread with questions about visitation at Hendry and i found this thread and i see that yall have worked there i just wanted to attach what i posted in my thread to see if yall could please help me thank you soo much!.......

quote: Well we both dont smoke so i dont have to worry about that lol but thank you for the info..:-) Soo i have another question...i know this might depend on the prison but are we allowed to sit next to eachother or are we at a table sitting across from eachother? are we allowed to walk around? whats the situation inside like? im soo sorry for all the questions its just i have this thing about knowing every detail about everything lol...and i also just dont want to get him trouble or for me to get in trouble...Again thanks everybody for your replies!!:)

Mia12485
12-23-2009, 11:36 AM
oh and hows the kissing and hugging and holding hands rules? Again thankssss sooooo muchhhh! I guess im just alil nervous...oh who am i kidding im VERYYYYY nervous i just want things to go smooth there and now after reading this thread im alil worried about my loved one whos there :-(...but i guess in places like that u just dont kno right...

vickigeorge7
03-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Anyone know how to find out where inmates are going? George wants me to see if I can find out where hes going. He said other inmates are finding out on the computers of loved ones.

jfreak111068
03-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Anyone know how to find out where inmates are going? George wants me to see if I can find out where hes going. He said other inmates are finding out on the computers of loved ones.

Puting it out on the internet would ge a security risk and DOC isn't going to let that slip.

vickigeorge7
04-07-2011, 06:57 PM
there was a number but I called today, Too late she said yesterday they were told not to give out the info cuz families were calling facilities and making all kinds of crazy request. The lady said it was causing too much work. Cant even tell me if hes staying in the region, but said they are making every effort to do that. He hasnt moved yet, and I wish they'd do it all ready! Im coming from illinois in may and need to figure out a new plan!

love baby
04-08-2011, 11:19 AM
there was a number but I called today, Too late she said yesterday they were told not to give out the info cuz families were calling facilities and making all kinds of crazy request. The lady said it was causing too much work. Cant even tell me if hes staying in the region, but said they are making every effort to do that. He hasnt moved yet, and I wish they'd do it all ready! Im coming from illinois in may and need to figure out a new plan!
If u go to www.vinelink.com (http://www.vinelink.com) they can notify u when he is moved

amickeyfan
04-08-2011, 05:52 PM
They will not place it out on the internet until he is already there. It is a security breach if it is put on the net prior to his arrival. No one is finding out ahead of time, they are finding out on the net once their loved one arrived at their destination.