View Full Version : "Confinement" at Gulf Annex...

Griegito
11-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi everyone. I am new to this... and this is a little scary for me as my loved one is incarcerated in Florida, Gulf Annex and I am far away in New York City. What I would like to know is if anyone here is familiar with what they call "confinement" at Gulf Annex... I have not heard from or received a letter from my friend in over two weeks and this is not normal. I called today and was told that he is in "confinement" for having received a DR for being in an unauthorized place. Needless to say, this is all they would tell me. Now, I am very fearful as I have heard countless horror stories about Florida prisons... Region I in particular... and especially about "confinement"... that it is there where many prisoners are beaten, abused and even killed. Please is there anyone out there who might be able to tell me something... anything... that could help ease my mind?? Are these terrible stories true?? What about Gulf Annex? anyone know how it is there? please, if anyone has a loved one there maybe they know what has happened to my friend... please anyone at all... if u can... please help me. I am very worried and scared for my friend.

Starchild
11-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi, I don't know about Gulf Annex but my guy is in Region 1 and has been in confinement many times in many different fl prisons over the 10 yrs he's been down. They can go to confinement for many different reasons, some seemingly so pointless and 'nothing' and for more serious things too. They can lock you up for many things from the wrong hair cut to being in the wrong place - so many things. Sometimes it takes them a while to get paper and stamps together to write as they don't take anything like that with them to confinement. So maybe you could mail him some stamps and paper? That could be why he hasn't written.
I've heard a lot of horror stories about confinement and where my guy is they gas them regularly and all kinds of things but generally if your friend does his time in there he should be fine.
Do you know who his classification officer is? They generally don't tell you much but I've found it easier to communicate with his classification officer when these things happen.
It is a worrying time for us out here; they can't call and we have no idea what is going on, but sadly confinement is a 'normal' part of Fl prison.....and all I can tell you is my guy has been there a lot and he's got through it......
Take care and keep strong. You'll hear from him soon.

Griegito
11-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Thank u so much and God Bless u for answering me. It just feels better, I guess, to know that there are people who understand. Yes, I have heard about the "gassing" too... really horrible stuff. I pray that he is fine tho. Thanks for the suggestion about calling the classification officer, I have done that and that is all she would tell me. But, I am going to send some paper and stamps... that is an excellent idea. So, once again, thank u soooo much and I wish u and ur guy all the best. Stay strong.

Ross811
11-13-2006, 02:43 PM
I sent you a PM...my fiance is at Gulf Annex..

so_hurt
12-16-2006, 11:34 AM
what on earth is meant by "they gas them" ?!?!?!??????? :eek:
that sounds horrible and reminds me of hitler and his gas chambers. Ahhhh...
please reply!

Griegito
01-22-2007, 01:14 PM
"gassing..." as i understand it means that the guards use pepper spray and spray them thru the windows of their cells. It sounds to me like borderline toture! but FL DOC doesn't care about things like that. sooo sad.

Griegito
01-25-2007, 08:36 AM
:( Please... if anyone has any suggestions on how to proceed or any experience with similar cases... I am in need of advice, again. This may take a minute to explain... but anyone who listens I am truly grateful...

My loved one, who was at Gulf Annex... has now been moved to Gulf main and put into confinement. I called his classification officer who told me he was under "investigation" and that she could tell me nothing more... she then referred me to the Inspector handling the case (or so she said)... however, after speaking to the inspector he told me that he was put into confinement due to an "anonymous tip" that he had said something which threatened a guard... or something to that effect... it's all a bit shady if u ask me... not that the guard heard him or that any guard heard him say anything... just that due to an "anonymous tip" he is now under investigation... but the inspector tells me that he is not involved in the investigation and can give me no further information and that I must speak to the Major who is handling the investigation. Okay, so now several phone calls and messages to the major's office are unsuccessful as the major is very busy and does not return my calls. Finally after my last call to the major's office his secretary insists that I must speak to the same inspector who referred me there... insisting he is in charge of the investigation (when he has already told me he is not???) No one can tell me anything else... how long he will be in confinement?.. what is going to happen to him?.. they can't tell me nothing. Now I called back to the inspector office and can't reach him again. Next I called Inspector General office in Tallahassee and was told I must speak to the warden. Okay, call the warden's office and of course, he is not available... so my final step was to send an e-mail to the warden explaining what I know and asking for him to help me find out some answers. No response as of yet but this was only yesterday. Now, does anyone know if I am making the right moves? or if I am possibly making a terrible mistake? I do not want to endanger my loved one in any way but I am very concerned about him and also I want him to be treated fairly and I worry that since he is "open" about himself in certain ways that may not be respected by many people... he could be in danger of being a target of hatred or injustice. Does anyone at all have any suggestions??? Please I am starting to really worry. He has always told me if anything like this should happen... to stay on the phone calling people and letting them know that he does have people who care about him... as he is all alone in Florida and I am here in New York... so he does not get visits. Also, if anyone's man knows of my friend or is in gulf... maybe they could at least assure me he is fine and not beaten up or being mistreated... what do u think? Thanks to any who can help and God Bless all.
P.S. I have not heard from him in like 3 weeks... even though I sent him stamps and paper as soon as I heard he had gone into confinement.

Thanks PPL and God Bless.

mistynaires
01-25-2007, 08:57 AM
i can ask my husband if he knows anything about it. he is currently at Gulf-Annex you can message me with his name and i will see if i can get some info.

Ross811
01-25-2007, 10:12 AM
My husband is at the annex as well. I went through a situation like this when he was at a previous camp. He was placed in confinement under "investigation"...which to this day we still don't know why. It took a lot of phone calls, but it boiled downed to the captain that "supposedly" placed him in confinement, knew nothing about it. When he went to see my husband, he told me husband that he didn't sign the order, but that he was told that my husband checked in, which is something he would never do. So the captain released him. It was 11 days of hell. We never got answers.

mistynaires
01-25-2007, 10:36 AM
this doesn't really pertain to the subject but my husband has already signed his release papers two days ago but his release date isn't suppose to be until 7/20/07 as of right now. does anyone know how early they have you sign these? My husband is telling me that they are letting them out early if they have under 6 months but he couldn't give me a date. Have you heard anything about this?

Griegito
01-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Do u guys think that I am doing the right thing by pursuing the matter with calls and e-mails? or am I possibly putting him in further danger? U really never got an answer? How is that even legal let alone professional? Thanks so much for your responses. I am grateful for the help. God Bless. I will send u a private message later this afternoon. okay? thanks again. it really does help to have this forum to unload in and know that people share your frustrations and ur experience.

niuyoricanpr
01-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Do u guys think that I am doing the right thing by pursuing the matter with calls and e-mails? or am I possibly putting him in further danger? U really never got an answer? How is that even legal let alone professional? Thanks so much for your responses. I am grateful for the help. God Bless. I will send u a private message later this afternoon. okay? thanks again. it really does help to have this forum to unload in and know that people share your frustrations and ur experience.

Griegito: You are doing the right thing. When they learn that the inmate has family that cares and ask questions they are aware that they better do their job, or at least try. My loved one went exactly thru the same situation as yours last week but in another prison. I kept calling and could'nt find out what the charges were. The rules state that they must complete their investigation and make charges within 30 days after he's put in confinement. I was told that my bf didn't have any charges, at least nothing came up at their computers. They only informed me that he was being transferred to another prison accordingly to their rules. I kept calling every office in DOC. Up to this date, nobody knows what happened. It was only hearsay over at the prison where he was at. Exactly like your loved one, some other inmate told something anonimously, etc.
Now he is at another prison, thank God out in population. He's further up, but at least I know he is ok. So, keep making those calls and sending those e-mails. I hope and pray that your loved one is ok. Sorry this message is long. Also, check, if u need important phone numbers at DOC at the other forums. God Bless.

Griegito
01-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Wow. Thank all of u guys sooooo much. It really helps to hear from u that I am indeed doing the right thing. I am not happy to know that others have experienced the same sort of injustice:( ... but it does indeed help to know that u made it thru. Thanks again for everyone's input... this really is a great site. God Bless to all and stay strong for ur loved ones.

Griegito
01-29-2007, 09:49 AM
This is an update for all who showed interest and concern... This morning I did speak to the warden's office and he was very very nice and even apologetic as to the "run-around" i received from his staff... I can't say that what he told me was good news... as he is being accused of something serious... but at least now I know what is exactly going and what to expect. So, I would just like to say "Thanks alot" to all thos who gave me support and who offered their help in this situation. This is really a great forum and th epeopl here are all wonderful. Good luck to all and God Bless.